Do you think the Ten (10) commandments are really no longer useful?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image53
    Minister Mitchposted 9 years ago

Do you think the Ten (10) commandments are really no longer useful?

What will happen if the 10 commandments are no longer taught in the homes of Americans?

2. Penny G profile image59
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

I believe the bible was written to not be changed. I also believe that it was not meant to be adjusted by us" the so called contemporary bible, church". Everyone can think what they want, but I choose to follow it and the ten commandments . we have free will and chose, this is all part of choosing to follow or not to follow. I choose Christ, as the way.

1. Robert the Bruce profile image59
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Bible has been changed "adjusted" with almost every translation for the past 2,000 years or longer. About the 10 Commandments: Do you honor the Sabbath Day by refraining from all work on Saturdays?

2. profile image53
      Minister Mitchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Robert I do try to keep the Sabbath,  but work does get in my way.  We must remember that we are under grace not works. Jesus said, if we stride to keep these two of the ten, "love God and our neighbors. " We should be able to follow the other eight

3. profile image0
      temptor94posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with you, Penny. The commandments are a way of life and not meant to be adjusted based on changes in society.

4. profile image50
      Norine Williamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Minister: Do u realize that "the sabbath" was fulfilled once under the New Cov?  Who was God speaking to when He said that?  Do we live under the Old Cov? The Holy Spirit looks at the "HEART" not "works!" This is a spiritual journey!

5. Rich kelley profile image61
      Rich kelleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

DOING what Christ said will bring understanding of grace. Repent, understanding of grace follows. Christ never spoke of grace, learn what He did speak of and you will understand the grace of God. Grace not works doesn't justify behavior we want to do

6. profile image50

Rich: The HS (Jesus) "spoke of grace" thru/out  the NT thru the apostles as thru us! After HS came, Jesus wrote laws in their/our hearts! Rm 3:31 "...we establish the law..."  Not by our "works" but by "faith!" Rm 3:27! I wish the world "knew!" Rd Rm

7. Rich kelley profile image61

Norine
      Not once in any of the gospels did Jesus speak or say the word grace.  Follow yes, Repent yes, sin no more yes. Not grace. You add scales to your eyes by mystifying what is written. Unless you do what Christ said you know nothing of His Grace.

8. profile image50

Rich: U look at "red writings" only? Didn't Jn:14-26 say He'd send the HS "in MY NAME?" What is His Name? Jesus! IF HS's name is Jesus & It wrote thru the apostles (Jer 31:33, Heb 8:10;10:16), was it not Jesus who wrote NT? THINK! This is spiritu

9. Rich kelley profile image61

Norine
      Don't change the subject, Jesus did not preach grace, until you acknowledge that you will understand nothing of the grace that is spoken of by Paul over a hundred times. Christ said follow Me nothing else. The narrow gate is Christ  alone.

10. profile image50

Rich: Subj not chgd! Jesus is HS! Wrote thru Paul!(Jer/Heb)Gospels Matt, Mk, Lk, Jn, under law!We r to "Obs ALL things" of the apostles Matt 28:20.  Jesus talked thru apostles via HS!Until u understand this u will not undrstnd "Grace" or New Cov!

3. profile image53
    Minister Mitchposted 9 years ago

Penny G. Thanks for your response. Nevertheless, if there are adjustments to the Bible,  such as using contemporary words to help the youth comprehend,  I do not see a problem with the translation. Now back to the question. What do you think will happen once the 10 commandments are no longer taught nor relevant to our society?

1. Penny G profile image59
      Penny Gposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think as long as there are Christians and they are doing what God intended them do while they are here that will not happen. It is our job to get the word out to include the ten commandments.

2. profile image50

MM:  The Ten Commandments are "schoolmaster" to come "into" Christ! Therefore "relevant!" Penny: U "choose to follow..& the ten comm?" James 2:10

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Secular laws cover all the same premises for the most part. It's illegal to kill people, steal from them, etc. As for the rest of the commandments, you don't need religion to teach those values.  I was raised in a very religious household.  I chose to go in another direction, and my family and I are agnostic/atheist.  My sons are both extremely well behaved and conscious of others.  They are mindful, discerning people and have never had a single Bible lesson, merely good examples and good education that has shown them a world outside their backyard, etc.  I've always been passionate about showing them to be thankful for what they have, to value hard work and to recognize that all human beings have worth.

I think good morals are not dependent on religion, they are natural inclinations in people who love, respect others and strive to do the right thing.  Most people learn by example, not because the Bible says so.

1. lone77star profile image73
      lone77starposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But good morals are dependent upon spirituality. Without its altruism, civilization would descend into action-reaction, egotism -- "wailing and gnashing." Love (God) really is the answer.

2. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can be filled with love and not believe in God. Many atheists are fine, upstanding moral people so I disagree.  You can also believe in God and be filled with hate. Love/hate are choices that humans make.

3. Link10103 profile image60
      Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

What good morals were used to put non believers to death? What good morals are being used to discriminate against homosexuals? Love and god are 2 completely different things as well.

4. profile image50

Jag: U know homosexuality in scripture is a no no! U would have to be an atheist to justify those actions! Sex="Be fruitful & multiply!" How can u? Rm 1:18-32;I Cor 6:9-11; I Tim 1:8-10; Jude 7. Love U - hate the sin!

5. ChristinS profile image39

Oh goodie more "scripture" to justify bigotry and hatred.  We can never have enough of that.  sigh.

6. profile image50

I'm a "believer" n Scripture so that's all I have! Either u believe or not! U call it bigotry or hatred but I call It the Word of God! We're discussing scripture here (The Ten Commandments) not opinions! Study! Believe! Have "faith!"

5. profile image0
    temptor94posted 9 years ago

Moral principles form a more lasting impression when taught at a young age. The Ten commandments cover all the values which ensure that a person leads a sin-free, happy and productive life. These values hold good even for the future because they are the basis of a good life. Changes in society should not modify the meaning of these principles.
    In my opinion, we have an entire adult life giving us sufficient time to twist these principles to suit our needs. The little bit of morality left in people are because of those childhood values that remain in bits and pieces. If religious education is stopped in children, it would be like pushing the impressionable souls to take their own lessons from society, which would not be pretty.

1. profile image50

Temp: "the impress souls have taken lessons from soc which is not pretty" bcuz they have no one (parents, relig, or ed sys) to move them into the nxt realm - The HS! (Matt 6:33)

6. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

No offense, but the 10 commandments in terms of ethics is like learning 1+1=2 in mathematics. So basic that by itself it is useless. If there is a problem with morality, it is because ethics aren't taught to a useful depth, but that can be true whether people learn the 10 commandments or not, which is clear considering the number of people who do learn the commandments and then go out and do terrible things.

1. ChristinS profile image39

I totally agree. One of the biggest bullies in my sons school who teases him for being a "nerd" sits proudly in church pews on Sunday, and brags about how Christian he is, but the lessons aren't sticking apparently.

2. profile image53

Junk you are right, the ten commandments can be viewed as a form of basic ethical knowledge. However, without basic knowledge there can be no advancement in the area where one lacks the basic. Crime and lawlessness has increased and love is down.

3. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd agree, but the basics can be gotten just as easily from Dr. Seuss. It is further development which matters in my opinion. Especially in a complex world. It just isn't as simple as it once was. I'm all for more love.

4. profile image53

Junkseller you are right, the 10 commandments are basic instructions for righteous living.  We see the consequences of the absence of the commandments in news media daily. Crime, divorce, lawlessness are at an all time high. Parents no longer sit at

5. profile image50

MM: U said it right "basic instructions" (schoolmaster)! But no one was ever taught to "move on!" It's time the world forget religion & study bible for themselves.  Aren't u tired of letting people tell u about Jesus when He left instructions-Rea

7. profile image0
    Richie Alburoposted 9 years ago

Ten commandments are useful, it never change the words of God, it was given to us to be AWARE about the law. Law of God must be the law of the land. And Minister Mitch is right the two laws that Jesus had given works together with the eight. Yes we are under grace because of Christ and He came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it.

1. profile image50

And He did "fulfill" the law! He sent 'the Comforter' which "guides us into ALL truth."  The Comforter (HS) FAR EXCEEDS the Ten Commandments which were our "schoolmaster." (Gal 3:24)

8. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 9 years ago

The 10 commandments were originally created for the people of Israel whom God freed from bondage through Moses and who were still influenced by Egyptian ethics, which were not moral, to say the least. Even Unitarian churches of today, who basically believe in every religion, still honor the 10 Commandments.
    People like to say these Commandments are not needed because "we have morals, manners and ethics already." What they fail to realize is that the ethics of the Bible, i.e., the Ten Commandements contain the foundational ethics for all of Western Civilization which constitute the "underpinnings" of society in all of North America. This is a simple historical fact of which most people are grossly ignorant.
    Thus, we arrogantly assume these ethics are our own creation and are a result of our "innate goodness." But indeed, this premise is false, as these ethics were introduceed to us long ago through the Bible and have been useful in creating the more sane western societies where ethical laws abide, and consequences for breaking laws are upheld..
    Take the Egyptians, who had no such morals and were in fact, a very corrupt society, and whose rituals involved killing and raping (often children) on a regular basis. 
    Furthermore, one can look at other cultures around the world today and see a distinct lack of ethical foundations that westerners take for granted. India, North Africa, the Middle East: None of these societies have flourished because frankly, their "laws" do not  necessarily encourage lawfulness and basic decency, so much as terror.
    Our secular laws are a result of the ethics of the 10 Commandments. We did not dream up these laws on our own, though we tend to take credit for them. Other societies have not enjoyed the strong foundational humanitarian beliefs that we take for granted In America because these ethics were never accepted by them. On the other hand, these morals have been ingrained into us. Strangely, given our freedom, we tend to assume we created humanitarian ethics, even though we borrowed these ethics from the 10 Commandments.

1. profile image50

Yes, the Ten were our "schoolmaster," (Gal 3:24), but we need to move on! That's what's wrong w/society, they've never moved on, believing, having "faith" & being filled w/the Holy Spirit which will "guide us into ALL "Truth! " Reason so many vio

9. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

The 10 commandments are always useful. But the 0th commandment is the most vital -- to love your neighbor as yourself. This means doing more than paying lip service to this idea. It means doing for them before you do for yourself. Perhaps this is impossible on a physical level, but if you have the attitude of this kind of altruistic selflessness, then the entire world changes. This is called -- getting closer to God. When you become "love," you see the love that God is.

The Kabbalists wrote the Pentateuch in code. There's far more to the biblical tales than meets the eye. Authentic Kabbalah is now available to the general public for the first time in thousands of years.

1. profile image53

Lone you are right, the ten commandments can be viewed as a form of love (ethical love). Without this basic love there can be no advance love in the areas for self or neighbors. For this reason, crime and lawlessness do increase and love goes down.

2. profile image50

Rod:Yes "impossible on a physical level" but this is a "spiritual" walk! Gal 5:16.Holy Spirit = Jesus = God = Love! The Bible is a mystery but if filled w/the Holy Spirit, It "guides you into ALL truth!"(Jn16:13)Now that's the world we desire to live

10. profile image50
    Norine Williamsposted 9 years ago

When responding to questions pertaining to the bible, it is only fit to consult God's Word!  I realize that everyone has an opinion, but what is man's opinion and what does man's opinion matter when it comes to the Word of God? 

In response to your question, "according to the Word of God," Galatians 3:24-25 says, "Wherefore, the law WAS our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. v.25 But after faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster."  So we are no longer under the LAW but the New Covenant - Grace & Truth, if we believe & have "FAITH!"

Scripture says the Ten Commandment are "very useful" for those COMING into Christ!  The Ten should be memorized from one's "youth" which not only applies to youngsters but adults who are  coming into Christ! 

Did you read verse 25 above which said "But after "faith" is come, we are NO LONGER under a schoolmaster?"  When the "promise" of the Holy Spirit came which was spoken of in John 14:26  in which Jesus said, "But the Comforter, who is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in MY name, he shall TEACH YOU ALL THINGS..." which convicts you and your conscience bothers you!

In Jeremiah 31:33; Hebrews 8:10 and 10:16, The Holy Spirit said, "For this is the (new) covenant that I will make with the house of Israel "after those days," saith the Lord:  I will put my "LAWS" into their mind, and write them in their hearts;..."  And that is precisely what He did on the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2:2 when It came in "...like a rushing mighty wind..." and (The Holy Spirit) began "putting His LAWS into their minds, and writing them in their hearts..."

Subsequently, if " a believer has faith," he no longer needs a "schoolmaster" and is therefore no longer under the LAW but under The New Covenant - Grace and Truth where LAWS are being 'put in his mind and written in his heart!' 

What society fails to realize, it's not about morality, but spirituality!  Not to say that The Big 10 will not increase 'good morale values,' but being filled with the Holy Spirit will far exceed 'good morale values' for according to John 16:13 "...When he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into ALL truth..."  What a society this would be if ALL were filled with the Holy Spirit that would 'guide us into ALL truth!'  None of the Big Ten would EVER be violated!

This is the "Good News" (benefits) that we have received under the New Covenant-We have a Comforter (Holy Spirit) that will "guide us into ALL truth!" 

Rd Gal

1. profile image53

Great answer,  no one can dispute your comment. However, we must the words Jesus Christ, "I did not come to destroy the laws but to for fill them. In Malachi 3:3 the word God says, "I am the Lord, do not change.....". We must never allow this world t

2. profile image50

MM:  "Fulfilled" means He currently "puts laws in our hearts & minds" by means of the HS that "guides" us. (Jer & Heb/New Cov) Mal 3:3 corr but "fulfilled" by "promise" (Jn 16:13) under New Cov!  Gal 2:21 Blessings!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)