What is your favorite method of making coffee for yourself?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

What is your favorite method of making coffee for yourself?

We have  the old-fashion percolator pot on the stove. An electric coffee maker. A one cup drip method. A French press. Which do you prefer and why?  There is also what my family call "Cowboy Coffee" , which is a coffee pot with no innards, just fill it with water, toss in the coffee grounds, and set it over a camp fire.

2. Dee aka Nonna profile image60
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 9 years ago

Well, I have all of what you mentioned with the exception of "Cowboy Coffee".....I do like instant coffee (most people don"t).  My favorite method is my electric percolator.  To me it taste just as good as the stove-top old-fashion percolator but a little more versatile.

Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dee, I was going to say in my op that not everyone wants to run out and build a campfire just for a cup of coffee, hahaha -- I threw that in for when we are camping. Instant is good, I like Tasters Choice.

2. Dee aka Nonna profile image60
      Dee aka Nonnaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey Phyllis, I love Tasters Choice, but my absolute favorite instant coffee is Nescafe Clasico...Dark Roast.
      Oh, I forgot to mention that I also have a Keurig....I don't use it very often...did at first but had to go back to my electric percolator.

3. Patsybell profile image82
    Patsybellposted 9 years ago

Phyllis, When I travel or am on vacation, I endulge in the local coffee shops. It is all part of the vacation for me.  Sometimes I have coffee with real cream for dessert at good restaurants when I want to linger.

Coffee at home is a pot like Mr Coffee. As soon as it is ready, I pour myself a cup and put the rest in a themos. It stays hot and fresh, just as tasty as fresh brewed coffee.

I even have a small bullet shaped themos that can fit in my backpack or picnic basket.

If you ever see me without a cup of coffee or glass of iced tea, you should offer it to me.

Good idea, Patsy. My mother also used Mr. Coffee then poured the rest in a thermos she had heated first with hot water. It stayed hot and good all day.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

First I use decaffeinated, and I use instant grounds in the jar. I take a spoonful of the instant and pour hot water on them, then stir.

I sometimes use instant, too, Kevin. I make it strong with a little cream.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would probably have a percolator if I was able to afford one.

5. Dr Bill Tollefson profile image78
    Dr Bill Tollefsonposted 9 years ago

Coffee is my first love of the day. I didn't have my first cup of coffee until I was 36 years old and have a deep relationship ever since.

At home I blend my own coffee with Colombian ground and Cuban espresso equally mixed together and then my Hamilton Brew Station. I enjoy my coffee naked which is "black" in coffee terms.

When I have my coffee in the evenings on special occasions, I make homemade whip cream to top it off.

Dr Bll, I like brewed coffee black. In the evenings I like a hot mocha with ice cream or whipped cream.

6. Georgie Lowery profile image90
    Georgie Loweryposted 9 years ago

I have a Keurig that was given to me and I think I will never have any other kind of coffee maker. I live by myself and maybe drink a cup twice a week so the Keurig is perfect.

Georgie, I would love to get a Keurig -- gotta put that on my wish list.

7. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

I prefer the one cup coffee machines (like the keurig). They're fast, easy and come with an endless variety of flavors. The biggest downside is that those k-cups are expensive. I do think that I would like french pressed coffee, but I rarely have the time or motivation to try it.

Hi M. T.  I really like my one cup French press coffee. It does take a few minutes and I have to make sure I pre-heat the little pot and my cup with hot water while waiting for the tea kettle water to get boil -- but, it is worth it.

8. WillStarr profile image81
    WillStarrposted 9 years ago

We now use a Keuirg one cup coffee brewer, because my wife likes a milder cup and I like a strong cup with a lot of flavor. Surprisingly, it has cut my coffee consumption in half, so the cost is about the same.

Cowboy coffee is delicious, and easy to make. Use two tablespoons of coffee per mug of water desired. Bring the measured water to a boil, and then remove from the fire. After one minute, add the coffee and stir. Wait two minutes and stir again. Wait two more minutes and then slowly sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of cold water into the pot to help settle the grounds to the bottom. Pour carefully to avoid the grounds. Drink up!

A lot of people sure like the Keurig. That cowboy coffee recipe is great, Will. Thanks for sharing that.

9. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Thank you everyone who participated. All your answers are great, so it was hard to choose just one. Have a great day, Folks, and enjoy you cuppa coffee.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)