Is there a god that one should be willing to die and kill for?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. cjhunsinger profile image61
    cjhunsingerposted 9 years ago

Is there a god that one should be willing to die and kill for?

It would seem that the history of Judaism, Christianity and Islam is steeped in the savagery of brutal force in the conversion and subjugated obedience of minds. That such behavior continues today, at what point in human evolution do we put away the fight to appease the gods, as something less than what we are capable of? Is the future of Man doomed to the appeasement of gods or do we begin to learn to live and not die for humanity?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

How can you point fingers at Christians for doing such atrocities this day and time? Yes, they have been known for their savagery many, many years ago. The Jews only want to be left alone in peace. But the radical muslim killing machines will not let them. For God's sake they kill their own for going to school, anything done against allah is punishable by death. This is because you have the Koran written by one so called prophet Mohammed. Who was a mere man and an extremely violent one at that. The Taliban were killing so many of their people they had to use the local soccer field to do so because they said they had committed crimes against Allah. These people are so violent... they are killing one another. The Shiites and the Sunnis are at constant war because of a couple of books in or out of their religion.

Yes, everyone can point fingers.. but it is what you learn that brings one out of the dark ages. For the muslims, they have stayed there!!

1. Link10103 profile image61
      Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

So instead of answering the question, you briefly ignore the savage history of your own religion to then pretty much condemn Muslims for their current savagery.

Can't say this surprises me very much.

2. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, JThomp.  At least that Christian persecution such as the Inquisition is in the PAST! 

We Christians today cannot take the blame for atrocities done in the past...those people have dealt with God.

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lybrah.... Thank you!!

4. cjhunsinger profile image61
      cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jt --- Perhaps, you have forgotten that about 50,000 people were either killed or wounded in Ireland between 1960 and 1998. So, are you willing to kill for your god?

5. Doc Young profile image60
      Doc Youngposted 9 years agoin reply to this

... cj... mind if i just watch for a while ... you old dickens ... ya sure know how to stir the pot ...

6. profile image0

cj... my original answer says it all. Have you fought for God and Country cj? I would be really interested to know.

7. cjhunsinger profile image61

JT-Yes, a Viet combat vet, 65-66. I was the Atheist in the foxhole. I fought for the Bill of Rights, your freedom of religion and my freedom from it. They did threaten to court martial me in boot camp for refusing to go to a church.

8. profile image0

cj.... well I suppose we have one thing in common.

3. TheRSTeacher profile image69
    TheRSTeacherposted 9 years ago

You haven't answered the question -you've just gone on an ignorant and bigotted rant about Islam. Are you aware of what is going in right now?- Muslim children are being massacred in Gaza but then you probably think they deserve it because they belong to a religion you are intolerant of. Christian countries, like the US are always involved with wars and killing.

In answer to the question I think religion is just an excuse, humanity is brutal and humans would make wars without it. Often I think when religion is cited as a reason there is another reason lying beneath it- people being greedy or frustrated about being treated unfairly and so on.

The RST--Do you have a solution to the problem you stated?

2. TheRSTeacher profile image69
      TheRSTeacherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha ha yeah I have the solution to world peace hang on a minute I'll just knock up a hub about it ;-)

Seriously though I think educating people, encouraging people to learn from history. I think if people are taught about different religions as w

3. Robert the Bruce profile image59
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Fundamentalists of any faith are a threat to world peace. They are blind to reason and will destroy for their god. From a biological and anthropological  standpoint, I don't know if total peace is possible.

4. cjhunsinger profile image61

Robert--You are right, gods kill and it is from this that we need to move away from. Peace is a matter of the human capacity to reason and that must be our goal, not the emotional hatred and bias of the gods.

4. KL Klein profile image69
    KL Kleinposted 9 years ago

Of course there is! Loki is pretty darn awesome; who wouldn't do those things for him?

KL--A side note of theological concern and some consternation. I spoke with your god last evening and he said the spelling was Loke-he was upset and said that I could take revenge.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Tew funnee!

5. Ben716 profile image90
    Ben716posted 9 years ago

Yes, I can die for my God of whom I believe than giving up on him or kneeling for another god when am forced with the threat of torture or death.

However, I cannot kill others for the sake of my 'god.' My God is not a god who tells me to kill other people because they do not believe or have refused to be converted or to believe in such a god.

A god like that I cannot die for leave alone serve.

Ben--Glad to hear that you would not kill, but so many have believing that they were doing the will of their god. From 400 CE to the 1980's in Ireland Christians have been killing non-believers and other Christians. Why?.

2. Ben716 profile image90
      Ben716posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Service for God is the answer. They believed they were doing God a service by killing non believers. In the case of Christians it puzzles me. It is sad when Christians believed that because God has not asked us nor require us to do so.

3. cjhunsinger profile image61

Ben
      Your  honesty, "In the case of Christians it puzzles me." is appreciated and respected.

6. krillco profile image86
    krillcoposted 9 years ago

My Jesus would not expect either, so if a 'god' would direct me to do either, I would kill that god, because that god would be false. bandbseminars.com

Krillco
      OK then. I think that you are on to something here. Friedrich Nietzsche thought that, that might be the case.

7. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years ago

Here's something to consider.  What if I make a bunch of sacrifices for my God, but when I need help from this God, nothing is forthcoming?  What if my church turns its back on me when my life is threatened for a completely non-religious reason?  What if someone who does try to help me gets stymied by my questions regarding why my God didn't make me a new creature as He promised?  (Come to think of it, why should a mere mortal be forced to make up excuses for God, anyway?)  Should I be willing to kill or die for such a God?
    My response is NO WAY!  Especially since I see what's happening in the Middle East.  If this God is so almighty good and powerful, He can chase some Nazis instead of wasting time nitpicking struggling people like me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)