Why are religious questions so popular?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 9 years ago

Why are religious questions so popular?

There are loads of questions with the word god in them. Why? Why is religion such an hot topic nowadays?

2. Link10103 profile image59
    Link10103posted 9 years ago

People love to preach

People love to question the preachers

Others like to taunt and gloat about their beliefs

More like to verbally assault both sides for giggles

Then the cycle repeats

3. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

I think here on Hubpages a person can feel safe about expressing their views without losing our friends. I think many of us have friends and acquaintances of various belief systems - perhaps our neighbors - people at work.  We like these people, enjoy their company, but if we express our deepest convictions to some, we'd lose that connection that we cherish.  I have many friends who study the Bible and get together with other people of the same persuasion and yet they accept me as a friend and I enjoy our friendship as well. To start a religious debate in the "real world" would simply ruin our relationship.  It isn't that we are inauthentic with each other, we just respect each other's views, know we won't change each other's minds, and find the ground on which we can mutually agree.  Expressing views here is freeing and that's why I think we DO discuss politics and religion on hubpages. 

In addition, I think questions of the existence and nature of God are a function of advances in science.  As we become more and more able to make life and death decisions in the lab, our understanding of the meaning of life takes on a new dimension.  I suspect this interest continue to grow as advancements of humankind continue at exponential rates.

1. cjhunsinger profile image60
      cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Billie
      Your application of common sense here is outstanding. Always a pleasure to read something like this.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well now, that comment made me feel great cj.  Ironically I grew up with a loving father who, nevertheless, said to me often, "Billie, you have no common sense."  He'd be 105 now.  Maybe he was wrong (tee hee) Seriously, thank you.

3. profile image0
      PeterStipposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In this case it's not a bad thing to be anonymous. You can indeed debate topics you would not debate in the open that quickly. And adds to an open debate on topics that might be tabu.
      Thanks for your answer Billie

4. SilentMagenta profile image76
    SilentMagentaposted 9 years ago

It's not popular as you would think. Most people enjoy a good debate. Some are just asking to make the views on their hub go up. A small amount actaully care about the answers. Religion is one of the most debatable topics which makes individuals feel forced almost to add their opinion.

1. profile image0

Your possibly wright about the hub status. But I was not only thinking about hubpages but the internet as a whole. I think that thanks to the internet religion becomes more an open topic with a world wide point of view.

5. Robert the Bruce profile image60
    Robert the Bruceposted 9 years ago

Without going into a lot of detail, I would just say that religious topics are so popular on the internet because, (1) As Billie so insightfully wrote, people feel more comfortable expressing their views online rather than in person, and (2) religious topics are such a dearly-held subject for many people and provide the framework for their entire life that they feel the need to discuss it in order to further reassure themselves that they are on the right track. This reassurance of one's opinion about life and death can provide psychological comfort and allow them to continue their daily lives according to that framework.

1. profile image0

Some need to discuss their beliefs which is not a bad thing as long as it is an open discussion. Religion is a difficult topic in that sense that it tends to be a closed debate going on in circles.

6. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

Humanity is going through a crisis. Heavy polarization along multiple lines, expansion of Ego-self, heavy materialism, dissatisfaction with worldly things and more. Spirituality is becoming the only possibility for true satisfaction. More and more people are bumping into this reality. This is the age when it was supposed to happen.

This is what the Kabbalists talked about when the Zohar was first written. This is the age when the code the Kabbalists wrote into the Bible can finally be revealed.

1. profile image0

Yes the fact that Christianity or the Islam are not the only religions to choose from but that there are a multitude of spiritual ways of life broadens the discussion.

7. manatita44 profile image73
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

There is an inborn or innate desire to know. It was there in the beginning, and will be there in the end. It is a birthless and deathless question, and the main or only reason, is because man is a spirit being, and all he does in life, consciously or unconsciously, is in quest of freedom or the identity of his true Source.

A more mundane reason is of man becoming dissatisfied with the world,and asking the necessary question of 'who am I?', without which it is almost impossible to make progress.

1. profile image0

Yes the desire to know and understand the world around us is critical. Since the beginning of time men asked questions about nature, himself,life and death. Many questions are answered by science and some still linger in the world of the gods.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)