Which song would you have played at your funeral?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Richard-H profile image83
    Richard-Hposted 9 years ago

Which song would you have played at your funeral?

Frank Sinatra's My Way is a popular choice, as is Monty Python's Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, but which song would you choose?

2. christopheranton profile image63
    christopherantonposted 9 years ago

"I know that my Redeemer Liveth" from Handel's Messiah during the communion and "Wedding March" by Mendellsohn when I am being carried out of the church.

Richard-Hposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very nice choices!

2. Twilight Lawns profile image72
      Twilight Lawnsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We agree on one of the "songs" Christopher.

3. Veroniquebee profile image64
    Veroniquebeeposted 9 years ago

At the funeral services I've seen so far, there are several songs played during it. At least here in Czech republic. But there are three pieces I would want to be played at my funeral.

First is 'Largo' from "From the New World" by Dvořák. First of all, it's an amazing piece, and second, when I was sill part of string orchestra here at local school of arts, we would play it, and it sounded absolutely amazing.

And the second is "Meditation from Thais" by Massenet. Another amazing piece, and also the piece I graduated with - once again when I was still playing violin. So - both the pieces so far hold something very dear to me.

And the last piece is a bit similar to your Always look on the bright side of life (which is amazingly hilarious piece - gotta love the humour) - it's named "Poslední štace" (Last gig), and it's about a circus that is not performing today, because yesterday their clown died and today is his funeral, and everyone is going to see him on his last journey. But nobody will be crying because the clown always liked laughter more. Of course, at the heavens gate even St Peter will be laughing, when the clown will trip and fall on his face, and all the souls in the heavens will laugh so hard they will cry - and their tears will change into rain falling down to the earth.

Which I think sums up quite nicely what my funeral should be like - some tears, some calm contemplating and then some parting laughs, because I may be gone physicaly, but I will always be there in the music they played on my own last journey. Not to mention, crying people always unnerved me, and like hell do I want to be unnerved on my own funeral O_o

I'm not familiar with a couple of these. I'll have to look them up smile

4. sassypiehole profile image68
    sassypieholeposted 9 years ago

Another One Bites The Dust or Highway To Hell. Tough call.

Another couple of great tracks!

2. freecampingaussie profile image62
      freecampingaussieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I smile when I read this as your first one is so catchy ! Never thought of it for   a funeral before but fitting !

3. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've been to a funeral where "Another One Bites the Dust" was the track playing as he was carried in - was perfect!. He had been talking about it only weeks before hand, and died suddenly - everyone remembered! Fitted his personality!

5. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

Lovely Question:
    "Prayers and Poems and Promises" by John Denver
    "I have to say it now, it's been good life all in all, it's really fine to have a chance to hang around.and lie there by the fire and watch the evening tire while all my friends and my old lady sit and pass a pipe around. And talk of poems and prayers and promises and things that we believe in.How sweet it is to love someone, how right it is to care."

As a dedication and thank you to all my family has done for me:
    Josh Grogan – "You Raise Me Up." 
    You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;You raise me up to walk on stormy seas;I am strong when I am on your shoulders;You raise me up to more than I can be.

Blue Bayou by Roy Orbison (just because I adore that song)

Maybe "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen (especially the verse: "and even though it all went wrong I'll stand beside the lord of song with nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah"

Finally, I think closing with the "Beer Barrel Polka" because I was born in Milwaukee and it would be a cool way to end a funeral !

6. janiek13 profile image77
    janiek13posted 9 years ago

"Imagine" by John Lennon and also the "Old Rugged Cross".

7. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

Mine is going to be "Taps" because I was in the military.  But I also want "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes too.

8. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 9 years ago

hallelujah song by Leonard Cohen,... it says everything

9. Twilight Lawns profile image72
    Twilight Lawnsposted 9 years ago

I don't know if this would be considered greedy, but I would love to have the whole Verdi Requiem at my funeral.
    I don't mean just a recording, but a massive choir with perhaps Shadi Torbey singing the Bass, Juan Diego Flórez the Tenor, Montserrat Caballe the Soprano and Marilyn Horne the Contralto.  Conducted by, perhaps, Antonio Pappano.
    And whilst not being a Christian, I would adore to have someone of the calibre of the great Dame Joan Sutherland singing ‘I know that my Redeemer Liveth’.

10. Paul Ward profile image68
    Paul Wardposted 9 years ago

Patti Smith: Paths That Cross - one of the most appropriate tracks ever.

11. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

At the funeral maybe Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World".
    During the repast where food is served I'd like something up tempo with a slide show of me having a blast/vacations over the years.
    Maybe James Brown's "There Was A Time"
    Hopefully they'll recall funny stories involving me and gradually things evolve into a party/celebration for my "home going".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)