If you could grow just one herb, what would it be? Pick 3 herbs for beginners.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Patsybell profile image83
    Patsybellposted 9 years ago

If you could grow just one herb, what would it be? Pick 3 herbs for beginners.

There is no point in growing tomatoes if you don't grow basil. What are the herbs you grow to eat?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12216582_f260.jpg

2. profile image59
    Arabella Drakesonposted 9 years ago

Basil because it can be used in so many dishes, especially Italian ones. Cilantro because it adds great flavour to many dishes, and thyme because it goes with meat dishes like chicken.

Patsybellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great suggestions. Everything tastes better when these herbs are fresh from the garden.

3. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Rosemary because it goes well with my favourite dishes, parsley because I use it all the time, and mint because I use it for tea.

I think those are great choices. I have 4 kinds of mint and it would be hard to give any of them up. Thanks for you advice.

4. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I love the smell and taste of parsley, so would choose it.

I love parsley. It wouldn't be summer without tabouli. Thank you.

5. Howie Watts profile image80
    Howie Wattsposted 9 years ago

Basil, if I could only grow one. Basil, Oregano, and Tarragon if I had to pick three. All three are versatile and used in many different types of dishes...from sauces, to meats to seafood etc. However...I can not live without my garlic and I may want to have cumin on hand as well :-)

I've only started growing garlic in the past few years. Howie, it was a surprise to me how easy it is to grow. We could never limit ourselves to just three, could we? Thank you.

6. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

If I grow just one herb, I would pick mint because I like the smell of it and the taste when used in cooking. Here are my pick for 3 herbs for beginners, they are rosemary, mint and spring onions. I like this three herbs because they are easy to grow especially for beginners and I use them a lot in my cooking. I use a lot of spring onions in my cooking especially stir fries or salads. Rosemary, I use with roast lamb. I like drinking mint tea.

I add  mint to my tea, and use it in some recipes, but never just simple mint tea. I like your pick because it is so versatile. Great Suggestion.

7. Carb Diva profile image95
    Carb Divaposted 9 years ago

There is a big difference between what I would like to grow, and what is possible {smile}. My favorites are basil, dill, and rosemary.

Ah, Carb Diva, I hear you. Thanks for the reality check. If I can help you grow some herbs you would like to grow, please ask.

8. sallieannluvslife profile image78
    sallieannluvslifeposted 9 years ago

Ooooh...good question!!  That's a hard one for me because I make so many different dishes using so many different herbs!  I guess, like many others, I would choose basil, but parsley, cilantro, thyme, rosemary, chives and oregano are all my favorites and the ones I grow to eat!

Once folks are at your level of expertise, a limit of three is just wrong. sallieannluvslife, are your herbs gown in an herb garden or alongside vegetables and flowers?

2. sallieannluvslife profile image78
      sallieannluvslifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Patsybell!  I actually converted a flower bed into an herb bed for the bulk of my herbs, but I do grow a few - like chives and sometimes mint (spreads like wildfire) - in planters.  How about you?

3. Patsybell profile image83

My herbs surround the patio in tiered raised beds. There is some shade for tender herbs. The mints are planted in long round terra cotta drain pipes for control. In the garden, are many herbs planted as companion plants and to attract pollinators.

4. sallieannluvslife profile image78
      sallieannluvslifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  That sounds awesome!  We have really sandy soil here so I had to convert to raised  beds for my garden last year (not my strawberries).  Maybe I will take some hints from you and plant some herbs as companion plants in my garden this year.

9. elle444 profile image84
    elle444posted 9 years ago

Basil, parsley and rosemary.  They're all easy to grow (in full sun) and make everything I cook taste better!  The other herbs I grow are thyme and oregano, which are also lovely.  This  year i'll grow all of these and will add cilantro!

Your garden and kitchen must smell heavenly. Thanks for the suggestions.

2. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

These are the three I love too!

3. Patsybell profile image83

Faith Reaper Do you grow one or more kinds of basil? I admit, I'll grow at least 3 basils and probably more.

10. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Grow to eat? Rosemary, Basil and Sage

Grow medicinally - hmmm comfrey, aloe and tea tree

Are you growing all these now? You can teach us a lot about medicinal herbs. How about a hub?

11. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

The easiest and it is also a perennial is Chives and there are a variety of them.  You have regualr chives and then you have garlic chives.  They do really good all the ay up to the first hardy frost.  They do die in the winter but they come back in the spring.  I have gorwn these and even separated them into other pots and given them away and/o made new ones in my garden.  I find it best to grow them in pots and not in the ground.  They are the easiest for beginners.  You can cut them up and put them on your buttered baked potatoes or in salads and much more.
    Lavendar is another herb that is good in all kinds of nosegay products and also in some bathing and smelly stuff.  It is also easy to grow and if grown right in the ground it comes back year after year.
    Sage is another aromatic plant and it also comes back year after year..in some places.

Those perfect purple chive blooms are the surest sign of spring in my garden. And I love making chive herb vinegar. Thank you.

12. JoanieMRuppel54 profile image73
    JoanieMRuppel54posted 9 years ago

Basil because I cook a lot of Mediterranean dishes.  The 3 beginner herbs would be again, basil, rosemary, and chives.

I like your choices. It seems like fresh summer herbs just invite Mediterranean cuisine.

13. StoneCircle profile image89
    StoneCircleposted 9 years ago

For most cooks, parsley can be a basic herb needed in almost every recipe. It is easy to grow, dry & store, and use right off the plant.

If you are into canning, you need to have dill. Dill seeds are very common in canning recipes. Dill weed is great with fish and making salad dressings. Also can be dried and stored for the winter.

If your family loves pasta, basil it is. It also makes a great herbal tea  and loaded with vitamin K.

I can see sticking to one herb would be a tough decision for you too. I can't even limit myself to one kind of basil. Thank you for your response, fellow herb gardener.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)