What Comes to mind when you think of the best character trait?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Carol Reed profile image61
    Carol Reedposted 9 years ago

What Comes to mind when you think of the best character trait?

I think a "well-balanced" character trait is the best, do you think this is uncommon or unrealistic? On the other end of the scale, what is the worst character trait you have witnessed and how did you react?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 9 years ago

The best character trait, I believe, is what the Buddhists would call, "Loving kindness."   It takes all other desirable qualities into account: compassion, empathy, understanding, wise counsel, helpfulness, generosity, inspiration - everything that is found in our greatest human beings. 

And, of course, such a person is "well balanced."  By this I mean their emotional quotient is stable, sensitive enough to be useful and not so sensitive as to render the giver into weakness or melancholy morbidity about the state of human affairs.   They would be realistic, yet spiritual.   They would exemplify, "Loving kindness."

Carol Reedposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you,Tom Ware, I like "Loving kindness."

3. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12236746_f260.jpg

I would think indeed a character in equilibrium would be best; however, I would include a significantly unique and extraordinary trait that come to mind (perhaps influenced by John R. R. Tolkien) precisely bravery inclusive of true fearlessness (no fear of death) and action (void of complacency).

Thank you, John Connor, I'm glad to see that you added, (void of complacency) because the  first things  that came to mind was being unaware of real danger, self-satisfaction & conceit.

4. Nastya Bronnikova profile image60
    Nastya Bronnikovaposted 9 years ago

Well, words like "well-balanced" or "harmonious" are a natural choice, but to me they sound like less of a character trait description and more of evaluting somebody's personality in general. If we have to pick one specific trait, however, I'd go for "open-minded". The ability to stay flexible, to work from multiple angles, to expand and alter your views (not uncritically, of course!) as you get new information is something I have an immense respect for.

Thank you, Anastasia Bronnikova. "Open-minded" is a great character trait to have because one with an open-mind can see and achieve great possibilities but can only being "Open-minded" stand alone and shine above the other character traits?

2. Nastya Bronnikova profile image60
      Nastya Bronnikovaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Er, well, I don't think it can, but the same can be said about any other character trait? Besides, it's not like anything in our person ever stands alone - we're combinations of thousands of various aspects that bounce off and counterweig each other.

5. profile image57
    Afogposted 9 years ago

I agree with Tom Ware. Love by far shadows all other traits. If you truly love, then you are an unselfish person. The history of the world and all its skirmishes and wars most of the time are the result of someone being selfish and self-centered. Love seeks the best for the other person. If we had more such people in this  world, we would not have a need for the six o'clock news. We can't wait for the other guy to start loving. It must start with each of us first. So this is the answer to both questions. Love versus selfishness.

Thank you, Krik Floyd. I agree with you and Tom Ware, I am glad you stated "true love," because there are different layers of love.  However some may declare "true love" but have selfish tendencies, which brings us to your "Love versus Selfishness".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)