What is the FIRST THING that comes to mind when the phrase..............SELLING

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (36 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

What is the FIRST THING that comes to mind when the phrase..............SELLING ONE'S SOUL

TO THE DEVIL is mentioned?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12155253_f260.jpg

2. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

Your question has to do with the subject of Job.

Reference Bible Job 2:3 And Jehovah went on to say to Satan: “Have you set your heart upon my servant Job, that there is no one like him in the earth, a man blameless and upright, fearing God and turning aside from bad? Even yet he is holding fast his integrity, although you incite me against him to swallow him up without cause.” 

Here satan says
    Reference Bible Job 1:11 But, for a change, thrust out your hand, please, and touch everything he has [and see] whether he will not curse you to your very face.” 

Satan is telling God to take all the good things in Job has in his life away, a challenge to see he will come to dislike you or hate you!

That people only serve God because of comfort and wealth,
    Also that when people are stripped of there belongings, and health problems arise ,and grief they will abandon their love for the Heavenly Father.

We all are like Job with different situations that satan is testing.
    What will we do will we sell our souls to satan making this true of how we live our lives,
    Only we can answer this challenge from the heart.

Today many have followed satan and a percent of demon angles , now we also have people that follow as well through their life styles, and worship.

But what they are forgetting is that Job suffering ended. And his loss was doubled , he gain more after he proved loyal.

This world is satan's stage as he continues to test the loyalty of many .
    The same way he tested Job !

This is how a person can sell their souls to satan.
    But sad because it is a limited time that ends with no future.
    Because satan time is up and those souls that followed.

1. Austinstar profile image83
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

K&T - Have you Ever read any other book besides the Christian bible? It seems it's the only one you quote from.

Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am satified with the book of the most high supreme being of the universe There is no other book that has our interest so far as the future, nor can it they give a future. This one has provided what we need to keep living.

3. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

From a non-religious perspective I take it as one who puts their own self-interests ahead of all others, who will hurt others and use them without remorse and make excuses for why they are justified in doing so.  As long as their actions benefit them, there is nothing else to consider.  In my eyes the "devil" is the dark side of ego - smallness, not evolved emotionally or spiritually enough to see the ripple effects of their selfishness, greed etc.

"Selling one's soul" is giving in to these behaviors at the expense of your humanity.

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Excellent, intellectually analytical response indeed!

2. willrodgers profile image59
      willrodgersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One can't speak about the soul while trying to exclude God, the Supreme being.  He is the Creator of all things including your soul.  Those who refuse to acknowledge Him are destined to lose their soul in the eternal void separated from their Creator

3. willrodgers profile image59
      willrodgersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I Corinthians 3:19 " For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness";"

4. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have no need for a God that is that manipulative or would cast me off for eternity for some minor infraction of free thought Will.

5. Kiss andTales profile image59

Sorry you feel that way ,but maybe if you saw his side. If you were a parent and you gave all you had to make your child happy,
      Then some one else comes along and tell you your mom or dad does not love you
      They provide you love and care. Proof

6. ChristinS profile image38

I love my children unconditionally, nothing they could do could make me ban and/or torture them for eternity, and I but a "lowly" human.

7. Kiss andTales profile image59

I so agree with you But the claims of God torturing people to eternity is not true. That is a doctrine of a human opinion. Why create anyone if that was the case. God loves us even when people refuse to acknowledge his person by abusive terms .

8. ChristinS profile image38

No disrespect, but I am not going to argue about it and you aren't going to change my mind kiss and tales, I have as much right to my beliefs/opinions as you or anyone else.

9. Kiss andTales profile image59

Yes you do have a right and there is no argument from me .I just believe if some one has been  accused wrong .that the truth should be known. Because anyone  can be judge by wrong information. This has also been proven to be the heavenly Father.

10. Dantex460 profile image59
      Dantex460posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was going to answer the same thing but you beat me to it :3

11. Epleeba1 profile image60
      Epleeba1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was going to answer this question until I found this answer. You seem to have read my mind!. Great answer!

12. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Christin S, excellent, intelligent response as usual!

13. Sandaruwan99 profile image54
      Sandaruwan99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

visit this site for full answer:http://adf.ly/wufvp

4. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 9 years ago

On a superficial level it means a person will do any self humiliating thing for someone or anyone to receive what they desire. On a deeper esoteric occult level it means a person has made contact with evil spiritual entities, perhaps Satanic or demonic within himself and has made a bargain. Wealth and fame in the earthly life in exchange for life in eternal evil and hell in the after life. Sounds a little far fetched but, people do it or at least they think they do.

1. Kiss andTales profile image59

To Astar you quote  Christian the bible is for every nation of people.man woman or child , this book is available to the most distant parts of the earth.Now Rather you want to be a follower of Christ that is a personal decision  between you and Jesus

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago
    1. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Comment didn't show but it was in the ball park of what Kiss said, but hers is a better answer than mone

6. Paul K Francis profile image84
    Paul K Francisposted 9 years ago

The first thing that comes to mind is the crossroads and music, but other than that I think it is when someone knowingly acts outside of their own values and purposes in order to achieve some kind of power or fame through dishonesty or deciete. No devil required.

7. profile image51
    passingthewordposted 9 years ago

, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine. The soul who sins will die. ezekiel 18:4. You can't sell what is not yours.

1. Dantex460 profile image59
      Dantex460posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That sounds a bit greedy, if I have a soul I am keeping it!

8. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 9 years ago

When one mentions the selling of the soul to the devil ,immediately the tale of Dr. Faustus comes to mind.

I guess it means that one is willing to use any means necessary to get what they want, even if those means are wrong. Especially if those means are using others to achieve an end result, focusing mainly on the means and not the end. For example, money is not an evil thing, but people do evil things to get money, such as selling drugs or investment scamming.

EXACTLY!

New World Translation
      1Ti 6:10For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.
      Reference Bible
      1Ti 6:10F

3. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 9 years agoin reply to this

g,
      may I ask who the picture is of?

4. gmwilliams profile image83

Chaim Rumkowski, who was the council leader in the Lodz Ghetto during World War 2.  He did the bidding of the Nazis by shipping thousands of Jews to camps w/ some to their deaths. He was on the council, thinking that he wouldn't be deported.

9. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

Rush Limbaugh is the first and foremost person who comes to my mind, followed by any other of the political shock jocks who use hyperbole, innuendo, name-calling, out and out distortion of the facts, false cause, and a myriad of other logic tricks to dupe the masses KNOWINGLY for  financial gain and aggrandizement.  What Limbaugh has done to the American public through the years is nothing short of (I'll be kind here) unpatriotic.  It is trickle-down disrespect, spit-in-the-face, bastardization of what America and American journalism, in my mind, had aways stood for in the past - logical discussion of issues in order to reach intelligent conclusions.  The man is evil incarnate in my book.  That's just the way I feel. Years and years ago , I called in as "Katy" from MN, when he was talking about "criminals" on the street - (another of his racist code words) I told him that I believed that he himself was "criminal" in knowingly doing what he was doing to the audience on the radio.  I was later referred to, on national radio, as "Katy, liberal lunatic from Minnesota" - a moniker which I proudly embrace considering the source from which it came. If I were a Supreme Being, I'd easily put Limbaugh in the category of people who have truly sold their souls.

1. Sandaruwan99 profile image54
      Sandaruwan99posted 9 years agoin reply to this
  10. profile image57
    going2changeposted 9 years ago

Whenever I hear SELLING ONE'S SOUL...the first thing that comes to my mind is an action by someone which is unacceptable by the standards set by themselves or their society or their religion.
    These standards may be moral, religious, humanitarian or of self-importance.

By this definition, when one sells her or his soul, it means that a person is trying to acquire something through means completely unacceptable to them where they have compromised their own values and comfort for something in return, EITHER BY OWN DECISION OR BY FORCE.

A very good example of this phrase can be found in the dialects of some religion ruled societies where selling one's soul COMMONLY means indulging in either adultery or prostitution.

11. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 9 years ago

Doing what is wrong for profit. Notcaring if your actions harm others.

12. lorddraven2000 profile image90
    lorddraven2000posted 9 years ago

I actually thought of one of my older hubs, lol. The story of Robert Johnson is what comes to my mind. He is a famous bluesman who sold his soul to play guitar. His life was one of torment and trouble but his music really moved people. I still put it on on occasion and just relax to the haunting sounds.

13. profile image0
    MrDanielAbramposted 9 years ago

To my mind it scares me and I do not want to think about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)