How many books in a year do you read (your best guess)? Do you prefer fiction or

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Danette Watt profile image81
    Danette Wattposted 9 years ago

How many books in a year do you read (your best guess)? Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?

I'm taking a  2015 Reading Challenge this year. We work from a suggested book list - book with a color in the title, book written by an author whose initials are the same as yours, etc. It will be interesting to see if I read any more this year than in past years.

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

I haven't done much reading lately--I blame college for burning me out--but I vastly prefer fiction over nonfiction. I'm real big into the sci-fi and fantasy genres, and of course, that kind of thing is tricky to do in nonfiction because, well, we sure as shoot don't have elves or light-speed travel in the real world.

Danette Wattposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Have you read the book The Martian? I read it not long ago and it was very good. I'm not into sci-fi much. It was written by a man who rec'd lots of kudos for its technical correctness. It's going to be made into a movie with Matt Damon.

3. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Probably a couple of dozen.  I like both, but tend to spend more time reading non-fiction, often because I need to learn how to do something or I am doing research for projects etc.

I'm not sure how many books I read in a year, I guess this challenge will help me figure that out. I read 4 in Jan, 3 in Feb and 1 in March. It keeps going down! But partly because I haven't found anything that's really caught my interest.

4. Link10103 profile image61
    Link10103posted 9 years ago

When I was still in High school, which was only 2 years ago at this point, I would probably say I read anywhere between 20-30 books a year if not every 6 months. Fiction of course, I can barely stand most nonfiction and I wouldn't ever Willingly go near a book list that didn't have things I personally picked.

Now I rarely read because I dont ever go to a library anymore.

It isn't a list like they give in school, rather a suggestion/challenge such as "read a book with a number in the title" or "read a book of short stories" You find the book you want based on those parameters. I used to read lots in HS too.

5. Babbyii profile image74
    Babbyiiposted 9 years ago

I probably read about 10 -12 books every year. Love both fiction and non-fiction.  I get inspiration, encouragement, helpful knowledge and a bit of healthy laughter from both. Interesting challenge Danette.

My niece introduced me to this - you can probably find the challenge online somewhere. It's been fun and has introduced me to a few authors I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I'm on my eleventh (!) book of this year already... with two more in the "on deck" circle that I  have to read thru before they're due back at the library! One of my New Year's resolutions was that I was going to read more in 2015, I'm certainly living up to it. (haha)
    I read a lot of fiction growing up (mainly action/adventure, sci-fi and horror) but over the past few years I've found myself reading a lot more non-fiction - mainly histories of film/music genres, biographies of performers/personalities that I admire, etc. So far everything I've read this year has been in that area.

I'm impressed Keith! I read a mix of fiction (action / thrillers mainly) and non-fiction (mainly current event topics). Keep reading!

7. Amanda108 profile image85
    Amanda108posted 9 years ago

I've actually been keeping book lists since I was in high school! I write the title and the author, always; other details have shifted over the years. I once kept track of page numbers, once I tried a "rating" system but could never decide on what # stars to give a book!

Anyway, the number tends to be between 25 and 50, depending on how good a year it is.

I read more fiction, but lately have been drawn toward non if the subject is very interesting or is told in story format. Ultimately I just want something unique. I'll take anything as long as it doesn't feel like I'm reading the same plot and/or facts over and over again. I constantly mix it up with fav genres.

Have fun with your reading challenge!

Starting with fiction and moving toward non-fiction seems to be a pattern with a lot of folks. I read a lot of action/thrillers and they do tend to run together. I hope when I write mine, my character/plots will be unique enough not to bore readers!

8. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

For the last few years I've averaged about 10 books per year. Which I personally find kind of pitiful. I increased my amount to 20 this year, but so far it's slow going. I generally like to read fiction, but have found myself gravitating towards non-fiction as I get older.

Well, I can't fault you for reading just 10 books in a year, that's almost 1 / month. We have less time as adults to spend on reading and if you're like me, you read 5 mins in bed before falling asleep!

9. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

Depending on the length of the book, I average about one a week.  I prefer mostly fiction and use n'f for reference.  But if a book goes over 400 pages hen it takes me longer, it took me over a month to read Stephen King's The Stand and Fall of Giants-Ken Follet took a while as well.

1. Amanda108 profile image85
      Amanda108posted 9 years agoin reply to this

A month is quite good timing for The Stand, especially if you read the uncut version! Good point that the page numbers make a big difference - it's not as simple as the number of books themselves.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I try to limit it to 50 pages a day or I would get nothing else done.  Sometimes more if I am trying to finish a book.  When I read something on my kindle, I am not aware of how many pages I read and sometimes I read faster that way.

3. Danette Watt profile image81

I agree with Amanda, it isn't the number of pages as much as the density of the material. I read The Stand years ago when it first came out - one of my favorite Stephen King books.

10. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

Rarely, if icould reada book per year, consider lucky, i wish i could spend more time on reading. I love kids books, enid blyton

I've read a number of excellent kids' books - late elementary - high school. One of my favorites that I ended up reading 3 times with my then-4th grade son was Holes. Sad at first, but of course it ended up happily.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)