Why is it more comfortable to make things up about people of Different beliefs?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. JMcFarland profile image70
    JMcFarlandposted 9 years ago

Why is it more comfortable to make things up about people of Different beliefs?

There have been a rash of questions and answers lately from people (mainly self professing Christians) asking why atheists hate God,  etc.   Rather than listening to what atheists day and explain about themselves and how they view the world,  it seems that some believers would rather make blatant assumptions and outright lies about atheists,  becoming argumentative when an answer doesn't seem to be what they want to hear.   I've seen some atheists do the same.   Why ask a question if you just want to argue with whatever answer doesn't line up with your views or simply invent lies about others?

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

I noticed many non-believers do the same thing and not just some.  I think it is all based on assumptions such as Christians hating atheists and atheists hating Christians.  Is somebody posts a question, the person answering should answer as honestly and respectfully and he can.  Then the asker shouldn't twist the answers words around.

JMcFarlandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree.   I think that if a person defines hatred as anything that disagrees or opposes their view,  it's a very narrow and troublesome definition that can lead to unnecessary conflict.

2. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

JM: You know scripture says "You can't serve 2 masters, you either love the one or hate the other..." Lk 16:13. That's a believer's definition of "hate!"  Why take it out of proportion? Remember the question came from a believer!

3. AnsahD profile image41
    AnsahDposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12334884_f260.jpg

Frankly I thank you for this opportunity to ask my view. Who is an atheist? from the Greek language any one who say this no God, A- Theo (A - makes the noun negative in the case of Theo who is God)
    By whom  is that person sustained by himself? or somebody beyond or above him? I want to ask him/her  where is his/her breath coming from or where is his/her thoughts coming from ? I believe he/she know how the computer hard drive works, if human being have gotten this idea from the manufacturer of their souls how come will anyone there is no GOD? I want ask atheist does he/she birth to a children and his/her  child tell she/he has no Father or mother how will she/he feel? Look at the plant around they are reproducing after their kind and animals are doing so the God who made us is a Father like him and will demand his respect from all his creatures.
    Does the believer in the Only true God breath a different air from the one who does not believes in this true God? Atheist is only being conceited and led astray from the common truth which makes all men free. It is my prayer that every atheist will come to the knowledge of the truth and be free now in the name of JESUS CHRIST the only son of God.

Your definition is incorrect.  Without gods,  not the assertion that there is no God.   The test of your answer is an irrelevant appeal to ignorance.   This is not an open forum for apologetics gymnastics.

2. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 9 years agoin reply to this

J, this is your way of being a voice of reason? U want people 2 take what u say seriously, then I suggest u respect others beliefs and not be disrespectful

3. JMcFarland profile image70

1.  it did not answer the question.   2. It was a fallacy.   Several of them.  3. I never claimed to be a voice of reason.  4. I do not have to respect beliefs in order to respect those who hold them.  5. My questions are not open pulpits.   Next?

4. profile image0

Hey, I just thought maybe u were wondering why u attract those that stir up trouble. Flies r attracted 2 one thing and if u keep producing it they will keep coming

5. JMcFarland profile image70

This answer didn't stir up trouble.   It just didn't answer the question. If you're trying to stir up trouble, it's not working.  :-)

6. profile image0

U answered rudely. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Just giving u a clue to your question

7. JMcFarland profile image70

If pointing out bad logic and expecting people who bother to answer to actually answer the question rather than go completely off topic by preaching with multiple fallacies  is rude,  I can't help you.

8. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree Julie - why is it being "rude" for you, but calling atheists conceited and implying we need to be prayed for not? I guess I don't understand why Christians aren't rude if they call us out, but we are if we do it? double standards.

9. profile image0

I actually did miss the "conceited" part. My apologies

10. JMcFarland profile image70

Thank you.

4. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

A lot of people who function from the ego feel a need to belittle others rather than try to understand them.  It gives them a sense of importance at another person's expense.

We live in a modern world where self-obsession is rampant and I think for some; it has eroded the willingness or ability to simply be able to agree to disagree, or to promote tolerance etc. 

I think as more secular ideas take hold there will be a lot of push back from those who are hardline religious.  I hope where we land is somewhere in the middle.  There are many devout people who are still able to be respectful of others - I have many of them in my family.  They take comfort in their beliefs and they are decent human beings.  In no way would I want to infringe on their ability to believe what they see fit.

There are also those of us who are not religious who are willing to reach out and befriend those who are.  We are not the ones posting mocking billboards and other such crap that hardline atheists do, despite the fact we all tend to get lumped together. 

Militant atheists and hardline religious folks, despite being loud, are the fringe I truly believe that.  Sadly, most people accept the Westboro Baptist Church doesn't represent Christianity as a whole, but it seems to be easier to lump all atheists together and paint us all as "sinners" or lacking moral fiber etc etc.  I hope we move past that and I honestly think in time we will.   

Most people one on one don't give a rats behind what you believe when they first meet you. They assess you by your character and how you treat them.  If we could all just focus on that - wouldn't the world be so much better?

5. Link10103 profile image61
    Link10103posted 9 years ago

Dunno, but I find it interesting how I always seem to come across those that enjoy deleting my comments so they can pretend I was trolling or being rude just so they can look better. Mind you this is after me correcting them after they invent some random BS about what i said or believe.
    Or better yet, they delete the whole topic so no one can go back and look at the comments, yet complain in a different topic about me being a troll or rude with nothing to actually show for it.

Happened again just yesterday, which is why I take snapshots of the comments and replies now. I like to cover my bases on the off chance it ever actually becomes a problem.

1. profile image0
      thegeckoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ridiculous! I like to keep all the comments on my Hubs. Makes more money that way wink

6. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 9 years ago

When you direct a question to a "believer," then expect an answer from the Word of God!  We believe in Jesus and His Words!  Since you are a non-believer, any and everything we respond to you from scripture (which is our belief) will offend you!  So why do you continue to address questions to theists unless you love being argumentative?

You ask us why we (as "self professing Christians," which I do not proclaim, thereby "making blatant assumptions and outright lies about "this" theists), ask why atheists "hate" God.  Since you asked theist, (I can't speak for others), I can only tell you what "I" believe, which is the Word of God! 

First of all, the definition for "hate" (according to the Word of God) is found in both Matthew 6:24 and Luke 16:13 which say, "No man can serve two masters; for either he will "hate" the one, and love the other;,,,"  Therefore, our definition of "hate" is a non-believer, one that does not believe that the Lord is his Master!  According to our belief, Atheists "hate" God for you believe there is no God, based on the above scriptures!

Therefore, I ask you, "Why ask a question if you just want to argue with whatever answer doesn't line up with you views (the scriptures which you do not believe) or simply invent lies about others?"

Now, that may not be "your" or Atheist's definition of "hate" but that is a believer's definition!   

Remember your audience when addressing a question and maybe the responses won't be so controversial!  (Unless you just enjoy arguing?)

7. R K Beran profile image60
    R K Beranposted 9 years ago

Because nuking the you-know-what out of an army of straw men is easier than being a good listener and hearing someone's reasons for their differing beliefs. It's easier and more convenient (i.e. "pro-lazy") to make up your own reasons for why someone disagrees with you than to hear what the real ones are.

That's why you get those Christians who think every atheist is just an angry juvenile-at-heart who's "mad at god". That's why you get atheists who think every Christian is allergic to science and thinks the earth is 6,000 years old. That's why you get people like Obama who think that a terrorist working with the "ISLAMIC State" couldn't possibly have any ties to "true" Islam. That's why you get the Muslims who think the only reason Americans and Westerners could possibly take issue with the doctrines of Islam is because we're just a bunch of xenophobic Allah-hating infidels.

These people don't ask questions to learn something. They just want to validate the narrative that they've already decided must be true. The other person, unfortunately, has no lines in that narrative.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)