Published

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (31 posts)
  1. fionacassim profile image60
    fionacassimposted 14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to this, but just wondering if anyone has been published?

Thanks.. smile

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Many have you just jave to start reading, and I am on my way.smile

2. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a poet/ philosopher and my book "Ponder Awhile" has been published in India.
      Poems from "Ponder Awhile" have been  published in various international journals. smile

2. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Published, as in, anywhere?  I have been published in newspapers, magazines and a poetry book.  I am working on a children's book at the moment, the illustrations are in the works and I'm hoping that it will be published.  But we all know how hard it is to reach the children's market...well, any market for that matter.  But here's hopin'...

take care

1. wrenfrost56 profile image57
      wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, you have done loads, great job megs! I have only been published on the net as yet. I do have a book that I have been working on for like 5 years and that might get published in another 5 years...fingers, toes, eyelashes ect crossed. big_smile

1. arrrgonaut profile image60
        arrrgonautposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sadly that's how it works.  I just got out of college.  So maybe in ten years I'll get that first book out.

1. ashleysays profile image59
          ashleysaysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup me too, just gotta keep writing and keep trying!  We'll all get our books out there one day...

2. megs78 profile image60
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Wrenfrost, its difficult to wait and get rejection after rejection, but just like Beatrix Potter, I will continue to submit because you just never know...smile

1. Song-Bird profile image68
          Song-Birdposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm working on getting a children's book published too, the rejections are hard but like you - I keep submitting smile.

3. fionacassim profile image60

Wow, thanks for the response guys! smile
    Sorry I may not have clarified...yes I meant published anywhere at all! I was of the reasoning that because of the recessionary ties etc, freelance writing might be put on the back burner for now...
    Megs, you certainly have been successful! Did you just keep sending stuff out?

Thanks again everyone smile

x

1. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Fionacassim,

I'm not quite sure I'd call it successful.  It is validating to be published in newspapers and magazines, but it doesn't pay much.  I am happy to know that there are editors that enjoy my writing, but that doesn't mean that I will become successful.  It's tough in the world of writing, and frustrating more than anything.  I can go for months without even typing a single word because I get so discouraged, but then I will go nuts for 6 months straight writing and submitting and with renewed energy and enthusiasm.  I continue to submit manuscripts to publishers because they send me encouraging feedback.  That helps.  So yeah, I guess you could say, I just keep at it and thats how, eventually I hope to have my name on the list of great children's writers...you know, with the likes of Robert Munsch, and Dr. Seuss smile  I can dream can't I?  Take care,

2. profile image48
      melissaebulgerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This blogging is all new to me. But to answer your question, I just published a children's book.  It took some time, but it's finally done!  It can be seen on Authorhouse.com right now until it spreads to a wider online market.

4. halleyhoops profile image60
    halleyhoopsposted 14 years ago

not through hubpages yet, but i have after submitting to journals i found in the poetry market book.

5. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

We actually have a new hubber, russell-d, who has been a professional writer (film, tv, magazines, etc.) since the 1940's or 1950's I think. Look for an interview with him in this week's newsletter.

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This guy is fantastic.  His writing is amazing & once you start reading one of his articles, you don't want to stop.

6. fionacassim profile image60

Megs,

Thanks for the encouraging words! I know what you mean, I don't always have the will to write...I think you need a certain amount of confidence that I seem to lack, since I think everything I write is not of great quality at all...

But thanks, and good luck with it smile

Irohner... Thats a great idea, thank you! I will keep my eye out for that! smile

7. Robin Layne profile image73
    Robin Layneposted 14 years ago

Technically, if you post something on the Internet, it's published. So anyone who has written a Hub has published. And if you have published something anywhere, it's hard to get the same thing accepted by a publisher later, because most want "first rights."
    But if by "published" you mean sent to someone else and had accepted and printed, either on the Internet or on paper, I have. More than anything else, I'd like to publish a novel, but I haven't. However, I've had some short stories, lots of poems, and some articles published. And I am managing editor of a monthly newsletter, in which I often feature my own creative writing in addition to other's.
    Then there is "independent publishing," the making of zines, which are usually put together by the writer/artist and photocopied, distributed privately. These are a lot of fun. I've been featured in one anthology zine and have made my own zine featuring my own creative writing and art that is mostly also my own.
    My latest publishing brag is I won the Twisted Fairytale contest from AuthorsbyDesign.com. Don't go there right now, they're still under reconstruction. If you want to read my story, it's actually at authorsbydesign.blogspace.com.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Contests are good way to break into creative writing field. i've had a story in my head for years and need to get it published...

8. fionacassim profile image60

mohitmisra - thanks for this, well done you!

Robin  - wow thats amazing! I was thinking of a zine, but haven't really done enough research on them as yet.. I will definiately check your story out, twisted fairytale sounds right up my alley! wink

9. Rinna profile image57
    Rinnaposted 14 years ago

I'm self publishing my hub is my first attempt at getting the word out on myself. There are at least two web based print on demand publishers out there that can get you sold on amazon.com if you've given up hope for traditional publishing. I haven't totally my fourth book is still making the rounds.  I'm kind of hoping some sales of the self published stuff would make for better query fodder.

1. fionacassim profile image60
      fionacassimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Rinna, thats fantastic for you, congrats smile
      I tried Hubs as a first step but I really love it!

10. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I interned as a journalist so I had quite a few articles in print and online (still there). I also was in a college magazine and on some environmental website...yea. Haha.

11. Tony Ballatore profile image59
    Tony Ballatoreposted 14 years ago

I have been writing most of my adult life.  I have been published by accident; it seems.  I've never earned a single cent; a lot of copies, but no money.  Oh well.

This does not play a part in my love and need to write.  Writing takes me to the same place reading a good story takes me.  I'm transported to an OtherWorld.  But when I'm writing, I am in control of happenings and outcomes.  It's so much fun.

I know.  I'm wandering.  Regarding getting published:
    When I was a young boy trying to learn to play baseball, my father gave me great advise:  "Tony.  You will never hit the ball if you don't swing the bat."

I hope you all are enjoying the process as much as I am, and I wish us all SUCCESS in keeping with our individual understanding of that word.

Keep swinging that bat.
    Tony

12. patful profile image60
    patfulposted 14 years ago

Getting published: there are a number of approaches. Take your pick.
    1. Neighborhood newspapers are sometimes looking for freelance articles. The pay may not be huge (if at all) but these articles start to build your portfolio.
    2. If you're working on a book, try getting a section of your book published as an article by a newspaper or magazine. If the editors insert a note that the text is part of an upcoming book on thus-and-so subject, that can attract attention to your book project.
    3. Newsletters for clubs, specialty organizations, faith groups, educational groups, etc. are good places to practice your craft. Keep copies of your articles and use them as part of your portfolio when looking for an editor to give you a try.
    4. Trade organizations sometimes look for writers to create articles, journal text, interviews for their magazines, etc. Use your networking skills (locally and on the Internet) to find such groups.
    5. If you made a trip to Afghanistan to observe their schools or hospitals, for example, try contacting local newspaper editors to offer to write a first-person account of your experiences. Your story has a local angle and an up-to-date news angle. It's worth a shot.
    6. My own experience in getting published has included daily newspapers, business-oriented newspapers and magazines (shopping center industry, local real estate, commercial real estate), news bureau at two different colleges, self-published marketing workshop materials, and training materials for a travel industry company.
    7. Be persistent, an ongoing networker, an opportunist (in the good sense), and a constant analyst of what the current market is. What do people want to read about? What are they willing to pay money for to read about? What publishing companies specialize in the topics you like to write about?
    8. Pay a visit to a Barnes & Noble, a Borders Bookstore, or other well established bookseller. Tour the store and notice what publishers are putting out books on topics you're interested in.
    9. Do some research on what it takes to get an agent. I don't pretend to have expertise in this area, but speakers at writers conferences tend to say that An Agent is Vitally Important. They know people you don't know. The first Major Step is getting The Agent to become Interested in You.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 14 years agoin reply to this

these are good ideas for those of us looking for off line publishing..smile

13. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I have published articles mostly and everything here on hubpgages, working on a few books.  Are you published?

14. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

I think what you mean is . . .has anyone thought that your work was good enough to  pay you real money (not you pay them) for the privilege of publishing it. Self publishing (what used to be called "vanity publishing" for obvious reasons) does not count.
    I consider it self-delusion to say that you are "a published author" because you have posted some articles on an Internet web site such as Hubpages, where anyone can publish anything without any critical appraisal taking place.
    I wrote a 1000 word hub on this very subject, but I don't want to repeat it here.  We need to be more careful in what we term “published” and who we call “writers”.

15. catwoman89 profile image60
    catwoman89posted 14 years ago

I am just getting started trying to publish (properly, see above). I started by buying "Poet's Market 2010." I am perusing it.

I convinced a parent (I teach high school English) to also purchase "Writer's Market 2010" for the students. I figure why not get them in the game (I teach Honors)...if I can kick their butts/inspire them, perhaps I can kick/inspire mySELF...

I gave away one of my best poems to that stupid "Helium" website, and now they are...whatever...part owners? Whatever it means...I am too impetuous...it feels like giving away a newborn baby to a passing stranger. Pretty painful. Because flipping through "Poets Market" I see that few publishers desire my internet-sullied poetry.

So, though I am a poet seeking publication, you will not see my poems on the internet.

16. profile image52
    aliensoul77posted 14 years ago

I have been published in several different anthologies of poetry and had some short stories published as well.  I love writing and sharing my writing with other people, check out my hubpage and share your works if you would like

http://hubpages.com/hub/the-green-monkey-brigade

17. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I am doing my damndest to get my stories published into books. Just went to a writers conference and am all pumpbed up and ready to get my work ready to get published.

18. azraelsbane profile image61
    azraelsbaneposted 14 years ago

I had some poetry and an article published, but that's about it. I wrote 2 books, but cracked under the pressure when it came to submitting for publishing. Now I just teach high school chemistry and hang out with the cool kids on writing forums wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)