Are Tattooers Impulsive?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Phil Perez profile image61
    Phil Perezposted 8 years ago

Are Tattooers Impulsive?

Psychologically, do people who get tattoos (more than one) impulsive and lack self-control?
    If it means so much to them whatever it is they want to get tattooed, why do they feel they have to get it inked into their skin? I don't think they'd have a problem remembering something significant in their life (assuming it's an important part of their life).

Also, for the ones who say it's art, and to let them express themselves, well, I have to say that you do not express yourself with your body, you do so with your mind. Unless you also lack the capability to do that, too.

2. Elizabeth Sophia profile image62
    Elizabeth Sophiaposted 8 years ago

Some people get tattoos just because they like the look of them. I'm 18 and do not plan on getting a tattoo anytime soon, but to me, they are very cool looking. I am more of a piercing person; I do agree that tattoos are more of a big deal than piercings since they are indeed permanent, whereas piercings can of course close up. When it comes to someone losing a family member and choosing to get a tattoo in memory of that person, I guess you can consider that an impulsive action. My friend's father recently passed away and she is contemplating on getting a tattoo. I feel like getting a tattoo for that kind of reason makes sense because the person wants a permanent memory of his/her deceased loved one on his/her body. I wouldn't consider it an act of lacking self-control honestly. Tattoos involve a lot of thought. But, if you are against them... to each their own smile xx

Phil Perezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What about gauges ? If you get them a big enough size that they don't close then what ? Also, what's wrong with remembering something important to you (like I mentioned in the question)? If it's important, you won't forget, thus, you don't need a tat

2. Aime F profile image71
      Aime Fposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I feel like you're just being obtuse. Of course you don't NEED a tattoo to remind you of something important. Do you put photos up in your house of people things/you love? Is it because you'll forget about them if you don't?

3. Phil Perez profile image61

Love is a strong word, but to not avoid the point, that's true, I do keep, sorry, hoard things sometimes, I do admit... But I think it's impulsive of me because I haven't yet carefully thought why.

4. Aime F profile image71

Why do you need to carefully think about why you keep pictures of loved ones? Not everything needs to be analyzed to death.

5. Phil Perez profile image61

I always feel like analyzing. Understanding everything to death can be essential! It's like chess. People who are the best in the world, have gone through intense practice and analysis to be the best. I believe in the same thing.

6. Aime F profile image71

I think it also can be detrimental. But hey ho, to each their own and all that jazz.

3. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

I have three tattoos, one in honour of my dad who passed away when I was a teenager. It's the word "love" in his handwriting. I have another one that's a poem that my grandmother loved that I got after she passed, and another in honour of my two family dogs who were my best friends growing up.

None of them were impulsive, I had given years of thought to each of them. And I love them. I don't lack self control or the capability to remember my loved ones, that's an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. I find my tattoos to be comforting, and I do like the look of them. I understand tattoos aren't for everyone but I've never understood why anyone would have a problem with someone else having them.

I might question if someone who judges another person's motives for getting a tattoo spends too much time finding ways to project negative characteristics onto others. smile

I just like to understand, Aime. It doesn't matter how long you took, it can still be considered impulsive because of the possibility of overlooking something. You're also just taking my question as an attack. I'm just curious, that's all.

2. Aime F profile image71

Well, no, because the very definition of "impulsive" is to act without forethought. Giving something years of thought is, by definition, not impulsive.

Anyway, you could say that about literally any decision you make in life.

3. Phil Perez profile image61

What if the forethought wasn't good enough, ha. But you're right, philosophically, it would be practically impossible. What did you consider when you got a tattoo?

4. Aime F profile image71

I considered if it was something meaningful to me and if it would still be meaningful to me 60 years from now. My family will never not be meaningful to me. It was more placement and the exact style that I mulled over.

5. Phil Perez profile image61

I see. Well I won't argue over that...also because I can't choose what meaningful means to you because I don't know what it means objectively, so I won't criticize.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)