Women purposing to men.... thoughts?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. writerjrose profile image72
    writerjroseposted 8 years ago

Women purposing to men.... thoughts?

Apparently it's a new trend where women are now going down on their knee and purposing to the men in their lives. How do you feel about that? Is it socially unacceptable or weird? Are you all for women purposing to men? Or should our traditions of men purposing to women remain the same?

2. chuckandus6 profile image78
    chuckandus6posted 8 years ago

i think its a little strange but not any different then woman asking man out to dinner

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very true!
      Two people have a wonderful conversation. Doe it really matter who initiated the conversation?  All that matters is that it did take place! Self-empowerment is about being (proactive) and going after what you want in life!

2. writerjrose profile image72
      writerjroseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It seems strange to us because it's not yet the social norm for women to propose to men. But great point and excellent elaboration Dashing! What matters is that the conversation/dinner/proposal happened.

3. Benny01 profile image46
    Benny01posted 8 years ago

Firstly, in this part of the  world where I come from, Its untraditional for woman to propose to a man.

Secondly, it would be seen as desperation instead of love.

The society has made it seem odd for women to propose and  I am afraid for any brave woman who has succeeded in proposing to a man, because the man might end up taking her for granted.

Please change the word 'purpose' to propose.

Thanks.

"it would be seen as desperation instead of love."
      Is it "desperation" when a man proposes to woman?
      Ideally one only proposes to someone they know loves them and has shown it over time.
      FYI: Lots of married folks take each other for granted! smile

2. writerjrose profile image72

I understand how it can seem as desperation, especially when cultural/religious beliefs are factored in. THANK YOU for pointing that out, lol I can't believe I wrote purpose instead of propose :S i can't edit the question though. Thanks for sharing!

3. dashingscorpio profile image80

Lots of women battle over being "special" VS "equal". Fairytales are hard to let go of. Even the movie Cinderella released in 2015 has made more than $500M worldwide!
      Millions of little girls will dream about their prince sweeping them away!

4. profile image53
    peter565posted 8 years ago

My thought when I see it "Well, I guess we know who is the one wearing the pants in this relationship.  And it isn't the guy. ha ha ha"

Well that brings up another question. Is it emasculating for the man if the woman proposes? Any MEN out there, how would you feel if your girlfriend proposed to you? Thanks for sharing peter.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80

It only feels emasculating if the man is NOT "in love" with the woman. People who are "in love" tend do some of the most "crazy" things to show how much they care about one another!
      They're happy until other people tell them they shouldn't be.

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12468555_f260.jpg

An old adage goes: "If it's not worth asking for it's not worth having."
    There is nothing wrong with a woman proposing to a man especially if they've been in a long-term committed relationship for years.
    Too often women will say they want it "to be the man's idea" and then when it's not happening they'll give him an (ultimatum) or keep dropping "hints". It's the same as her "indirectly proposing".
    Another group of women are content to "suffer in silence" and if the relationship ends they{ blame the man} for "wasting their time"!
    I suspect quite a few of them also fear rejection or being put off. However at least they'll know where they stand and can move on.
    For a lot of women it comes down to their "pride" or "ego" along with still having the desire to live out the "fairytale" portrayed in movies.
    As for being "socially acceptable" it's really no one's business what goes on in your relationship or behind your closed doors.
    The real issue here is all of her girlfriends and family will be asking her how, where, and when did (he) propose?
    They'd be too embarrassed to admit they did the proposing!.
    When it's all said and done if a couple does get married it shouldn't make a difference as to who proposed to whom.
    The end results are the same!

Great answer! You covered many different aspects of the question, and I agree with you, at the end of the day, the result is the same, two people who love each other and who agree to spend the rest of the their lives together.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80

Thanks Jenna!
      Sometimes there's too much "I & Me" and not enough "Us & We" in relationships. Misplaced pride & ego have kept many people from having what (they want) out of life.
      When both people are "in love" no one is  loses!smile

3. writerjrose profile image72

So very true! smile Thank you for sharing all your insights Dashing!

6. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

I think it's long overdue. A lot of great relationships could start from a woman taking the initiative if the man in the relationship might be too timid or clueless to do it himself. Expecting the man to do it is an unequal gender stereotype that should rightfully go extinct. Either person can propose when ever they feel it is right.

It is an unequal gender stereotype. I find it ironic when a woman is all for gender equality, but when it comes to proposing, it's the mans "job". It really is just about two individuals committing to one another.

7. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 8 years ago

The "going down on one knee" thing for women isn't going to cut it. No doubt, some men would be thrilled to have a woman show her subservience to him in this manner. However, throughout the ages, men have gone down on one knee out of deference and love for the woman.....with the knowledge that he is physically stronger and could easily overpower her. And so, the bending of the knee is a sign of respectfulness---even if he can easily exert his power or strength over her. He is, in essence, saying, "I love you and I want us to be lovers and partners together, forever."
    If a woman goes down on one knee, she will forever feel subservient to the man.
    Nevertheless, if they have a long standing relationship and she says, "Lets get married," only because she knows he's been dying to marry her, that's a different story. Still, she does not bend her knee. Frankly, any man who would allow a woman to get down on her knees is not a man. Truth be told, he is a no better than a predator. I would avoid such a man like the plague.

I agree that going down on one knee isn't that appealing. In fact it looks kind of corny even when men do it in this era. Nevertheless if someone chooses to do so I wouldn't judge them. Love  has often made people abandon appearance concerns! smile

2. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Dashing, I disagree.  Corny has nothing to do with it. A man in love would never allow the woman he loves to get down on one knee to propose. A woman who does this is misguided. Furthermore, I do judge a man who allows this to happen.

3. dashingscorpio profile image80

savvydating, I doubt most people get down on one knee anymore, )
      If someone does do it their mate usually (caught off guard)! The person who chooses to kneel does so because (they) want to not because they were "allowed" regardless of gender.

4. profile image0

Allowed?  No. Political correctness has no place in romance. Many women like the corny thing of men getting down on one knee if he so chooses. It's romantic. Let's leave the 60's equality speech out of romance. It didn't work then & doesn't work

5. dashingscorpio profile image80

If there's a lesbian couple and one woman got on a knee to propose would you judge the other woman for "allowing" her?
      You said: "A man in love would never allow the woman he loves to get down on one knee to propose." Is romance based on gender?

6. profile image0

Dashing, I would not judge a lesbian woman for getting down on one knee to propose. Usually, one of them is more "masculine." Consequently, it may feel natural for her to propose in this manner. I was previously referring to heterosexual couples.

7. dashingscorpio profile image80

savvydating, I get where you're coming from. I just believe when two people are "in love" no one should be made to feel ashamed because they initiated {anything} even a marriage proposal based upon their gender. Misplaced pride stifles love.

8. writerjrose profile image72

I understand what you mean about the woman being "subservient" to the man if she goes down on one knee, and I never looked at it like that, but I also think it's a form of empowerment, she's taking control and shows the equality in their relationship

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)