How can I tell if an email from PayPal is legit?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 8 years ago

How can I tell if an email from PayPal is legit?

I just received an email from PayPal saying my card is about to expire.  Please excuse my ignorance on the topic.  Well, I never had a card to begin with and always wondered how did people pay for things using PayPal without a card or number.  Can one's card expire or account expire like other cars, I pressume?  How do I make sure I am dealing with the real PayPal?  Thanks for the clarification.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12470517_f260.jpg

2. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Oh CAUTION, Theresa!!   You are very wise to check this out!  To my knowledge, a PayPal card does not expire.  If it does, just like any other card, they would send you a NEW card via the mail, that you would then have to authorize....etc.
    Best way to check out this email would be to call the OFFICIAL phone number for PayPal   (866) 888-6080  Customer Service.
    If you don't have a card...then I'm assuming you don't have an account?  Do you receive your HP earnings by check?  Whatever you do, don't simply send any info via this email!   Good luck investigating.

Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh, thank you so much, Paula!  I do have a PayPal account with HP and have received earnings that I just transfer to my bank account because I never received a card to my knowledge.  I will take your great advice here for sure!  I appreciate you.

3. sallybea profile image93
    sallybeaposted 8 years ago

Pay Pal will always address you by your first and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.

Oh really ...good to know Sally thank you!

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years ago

This is a scam.  Do not respond to it.  Do, however, send a copy of the email to PayPal so that they can investigate it.  spoof@paypal.com.  You may also want to change your password.  If it is the same one you use on Ebay, change that one also.  Paypal and Ebay are separating, but this has not happened yet, so play it safe.

Wow, I am glad I asked this question! I thought there is something strange about it. I will certainly do as you suggest. I appreciate you.

5. Amanda108 profile image88
    Amanda108posted 8 years ago

Paula's advice to call the official number is the most foolproof plan. This email you've received is most definitely a SCAM! I suppose it's possible it's a glitch (as in they accidentally sent out this email), but even then you don't need to reply.

I'm sure there are identifying factors that only a real Paypal email would have, but I tend not to trust even those. A good con artist will learn those tricks and incorporate them.

Whenever I receive a "Paypal" email that seems off I google the subject of the email and typically come up with results from other people asking about said email - almost always to be told it's a scam, mark it as spam, and do not reply.

Another easy safety trick is to simply never click any links from within a Paypal (or any sensitive website, for that matter) email. The real Paypal warns that it's possible for scammers to set up a site that will look just like the legit thing when you follow the link, only to then gain your real log-in information when you proceed to type in your identity and password.

Furthermore if there is a problem with any aspect of your account, going to the site (again, not through the email's link) and logging in should show you what you need. Generally an issue needing address will be written (possibly in red) at the top of the screen in your account main page.

Hope this helps!

Hi Amanda, it most definitely helps a great deal! Thank you for taking the time to respond in detail. I try to be careful of any suspicious email I receive to not click on it.

6. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 8 years ago

yeah a scam. I never received any email from paypal. They will always call me first before send me an email. Yes, they address you by first and last name, verify your personal infor too

Hi peachy, yes, but you have to watch those calls too, as the scammers can fool you real quick like with the calls and get the info from you.  Sometimes the scammers will call and say they are your bank at 8 at night, but of course it is the bank.

7. chef-de-jour profile image94
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

I have had these emails in the past and they are usually suspect from first reading because the grammar is questionable and the 'look' of the whole thing is just off. Never ever give anything away re passwords, accounts and the like.
    Also, the address at the bottom of the email isn't Paypal's normal address! Which is why you'll know it's a pseudo.
    Better to ignore - best to contact the real Paypal themselves and let them know about the spoof.

Hi Andrew, thank you so much for sharing your experience and insight. You have helped a great deal and I appreciate you too.

8. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 8 years ago

I have a PayPal account and they will not ask for these:

Full physical (street) address
    Full bank or credit card no.
    Full driver's license no.
    Listing of email address
    Full name
    Password to PayPal, or any account
    Answers to security questions

You can also send the email that you received by clicking Forward and on the "To:" line type "spoof@PayPal.com". Once you have sent it then delete your mail. In most cases, they can verify it.

Hi Kevin, Thank you so much!  I will give that a try.  I didn't thin it sounded legit.  I hope you are enjoying a peaceful Sunday afternoon.  God bless

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes I am Faith. There is bright sun with barely any clouds and no rain listed! (I would cross my fingers but I am typing. lol)

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Same here : ) ... Enjoy!

9. profile image0
    SirDentposted 8 years ago

I get those emails all the time.  I disregard them and go into my account from a browser, just in case.  There will be a notice on your account if anything is amiss. 

If you click the link in those emails, you will be giving all of your account info to someone who will use it to take whatever you have in the account and in any bank account you may have attached to it.

Wow, Virgil, that is a scary thought! Good to know. Well, the ironic part is that they would be very disappointed LOL and it wouldn't even be worth all of their criminal efforts.

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is scary but it is the way things are.  Con artists and thieves have always tried to take even from those who have little.  Best to keep your account secure.

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Yes, Virgil, that is sad to think about but I know it's true.  Blessings

10. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

Most emails (if not all) that you get like this are spam. But, if one worries you, the best way to check is to go to paypal's website and log in. If there are any issues, it will be reported on the website, in your official account. And you can also send a help message to real paypal employees who can look up your account info for you to make sure everything is okay. Never respond to the email.

Thank you so much, M.T. Dremer.  Wow, everyone has been so helpful here and Paula right from the start.  Bless you all big time!

11. quildon profile image73
    quildonposted 8 years ago

Great advice from everyone here, but I'm wondering could Paypal be referring to the card that is connected to your account? I have received emails like that in the past and I logged in to Paypal directly to verify. Don't respond to that email!

Good point, Angela, well, it is referring to the card in the email for sure, but I never received a card and always wondered how people pay for things via Paypal LOL ...Glad to know your email was legit.

12. MarieLB profile image74
    MarieLBposted 8 years ago

Hi Faith Reaper
    I cannot tell you how to find out about a letter from Paypal and/or anyone else being legit.

Someone here mentioned a card.  Maybe that is the way in some countries, but not in mine.  I have had a count for many many years, and I have never even heard of having a card.

My daughter was selling something valuable on ebay.

She received a letter from ebay with an offer of purchase, then a second email from Paypal to say that the money had been deposited.

She mailed the item [expensive SLR camera] to an address overseas.

She never got the money nor the camera back.

Ebay said it had no case to answer, nor did Paypal.

How the fraudster got all the details required is still a mystery, but at the time it was reported that ebay had been hacked for details of customers.

So it seems there is no foolproof way of being sure, except to - maybe- use a phone to confirm the authenticity of the letter.

Hi Marie, I have never had a card either?  That is terrible about what happened with your daughter.  I have always wondered if there is a guarantee if someone doesn't get what they are due.  Thank you for providing further insight.  Blessings

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)