Is There Free Will In A Deterministic Reality?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (42 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 8 years ago

Is There Free Will In A Deterministic Reality?

Explain your answer.

2. m abdullah javed profile image75
    m abdullah javedposted 8 years ago

Reality is a fact and that can't be changed. When it comes to a deterministic reality pertaining to human destiny there can be no way possible to reverse the determined process hence there is no option to exercise free will.
    It can be a principled stand on the question posed and can be applied to varied situations.
    But as far the destiny of an individual is concerned, there appears a possibility of exercising a free will,  it means what he or she is destined with some determined things can be reverted. Since we are unaware of what an individual had been destined with, so it depends on one's heart and mind conditions to realise the same and try to avoid or avert it by establishing a close contact with the One Who has predetermined the things. that's why we find the concept of doing good, charity, supplications, social service etc in different religions, if one follows these things with an intention to be good and be beneficial to humanity even the deterministic realities can change. But we need to understand that everything can't be changed things only pertaining to one's condition can change for instance poverty, test and trials, illness... As far the physique, relationships etc which we have been tied with will remain as long as we are alive.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Reality is a fact and that can't be changed."
      Perception is reality. At one time experts believed the world was flat!
      One has to see the whole in order to declare something is a fact.

3. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 8 years ago

This question would be interesting a 150 years ago, but since quantum mechanics we know that the universe we live in is not deterministic.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

Free will has to do with us (making choices).
    Our reality is the end result or consequence of the choices we've made. There are no "guaranteed outcomes".
    At most all we can do is hope for the best results.
    If there were guarantees then everyone who did the same thing would get the same results! Some people drop out of high school and become millionaires while others have PhDs and barely make ends meet. Life is a (personal) journey!

5. The0NatureBoy profile image57
    The0NatureBoyposted 8 years ago

I concur with Muhammad Abdullah Javed's first paragraph, "Reality is a fact and that can't be changed. When it comes to a deterministic reality pertaining to human destiny there can be no way possible to reverse the determined process hence there is no option to exercise free will."

What an inquiring mind will find concerning "karma" and "reaping what man sow" is everything concerning every man is predestined which completely eliminates freewill.  However, because only those who have gone through the metamorphosis of the new birth will have access to the complete comprehension that karma eliminates freewill.  The unwise man-em-mass will generally believe they have freewill although they do not. 

What often happens is one makes the decision, we will say, to be a drunkard but after years of it they suddenly say "I'm tired of the hangovers" and stop drinking completely.  Without considering karma that appears to be a choice they made but adding karma to it suggests a karmic debt required that change and predestined the saying "I am tired of hangovers" causing the appearance of free will.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79

"The unwise man-em-mass will generally believe they have freewill although they do not." Are you saying it wasn't up to you to post an answer to this question? Is not suicide an act of free will? Having choices is free will! Having none isn't.

2. The0NatureBoy profile image57
      The0NatureBoyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Suicide is not an act of free will, every life-force must experience it as both genders. The only possible freewill would be to choose one's first incarnation, once that incarnation is made everything is preordained to include at least 2 suicides.

3. dashingscorpio profile image79

"Suicide is not an act of free will" Seriously?
      Whether one decides to take their own life or not is the ultimate example of free will.
      No one is making you live just as no one makes you eat meat or whatever. You (choose)! It's not preordained.

4. profile image0
      PeterStipposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So according to you its predestined what your next incarnation will be. To say that free will does not exist is an excuse to murder and rape and then say:I had no choice in the matter it wasn't my fold. I was programmed by higher powers to do so.

PS, Each life-force is predestined to murder/be killed, rape/be raped, molest/be molested as many times as they do either one of every possible scenario any life-force does, it's the learning process to know every condition any life type endures.

6. profile image0

So murder and rape is a learning process!! What kind of excuse is that!!! Tell that to the victim. Your just got gang raped, it's your fault it happened, you have to learn something in life....get real.

7. Buildreps profile image85
      Buildrepsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How odd it may appear, Elijah Alfred has actually a point there. You're right that it unexplainable to the victims. But when you're able to lift it from the level of the great illusion to the spiritual level the whole picture changes.

8. dashingscorpio profile image79

Elijah, Believing in fate/destiny is a convenient excuse for not being  pro-active in making decisions in one's life. According to you there should be no jails because (people) aren't responsible for their actions. It was all preordained!

9. profile image0

The spiritual level is believing without evidence. that's the same as illusion. I do not buy it that murder or rape is spiritual in any way. People who say that they are higher on the spiritual ladder are simply arrogant , like priests and gurus.

10. Buildreps profile image85

I agree with you when it comes to the pretentious claims many spirituals are making. But there is mathematical prove for the spiritual level. And that's certainly no illusion. Materialistic science is an illusion though...

11. profile image0

Prove and spirituality are a contradiction. If there was prove a god existed nobody would believe but know. And to use quantum mechanics as a backbone for a spiritual world is simplistic.True materialistic science is dead and an old fashioned concept

12. Buildreps profile image85

The Pythagorean Illuminati have recently spilled the beans to the general public, because the timing was right. There you can find everything you need to know. Your claim that spirituality and prove are at odds is not correct. Math is all you need...

13. profile image0

Sounds interesting I'll have a look at it. Yes math and spirituality are old friends. I'm an artist and not religious but consider art as spiritual as well at times but more in a sense of a deeper level of beauty....or something like that ;-)

14. The0NatureBoy profile image57

Everything any man do is written in their DNA, there is proof for anyone who doesn't accept my statement.  To find proof of anything one must incorporate everything known to man to find evidence & substance to support the unseen.

6. Buildreps profile image85
    Buildrepsposted 8 years ago

What is reality? Reality is that everything is ultimately vibration.

What the Heisenberg uncertainty principle shows us is that you cannot know the two properties of an electron at the same time. You know the momentum OR you know the position. Not both at the same time.

You cannot capture all properties of a particle in the hope to establish absolute certainty about the next 'choice' a single particle is going to make. The behaviour of trillions of particles is statistically stable, which is the basis of chemical science. For large masses it's possible to predict what it's going to do. Large masses have no free will so to speak.

But a single particle shows us that we cannot know all its elements in order to predict what it's going to do next.

What particles show us on this microscopic scale, is the basis of Free Will. People have Free Will and this will always be like this, since it is embedded in the tiniest parts - as below, so above.

1. The0NatureBoy profile image57

When one visualizes their timeline the first incarnation may be free will but all other incarnations are compounded by the karma to the first so the concept of freewill exists but every following incarnation is controlled by predestination.

2. Buildreps profile image85

The way how the Hindu religion explains karma is morally and has the purpose to control the population. The Law of Cause and Effect is what underlies to Karma. To drop a claim how this exactly works is pretentious. You must simply believe in it.

7. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

No!  There is "No Free Will" in a "Deterministic Reality!"  Deterministic is often understood as ruling out free will and is a belief in predestination.

When speaking to "unbelievers," Yes, "they" do have "free will"  to "...choose you this day whom ye will serve..."  (Joshua 24:15) but if one chooses God, there is "no free will" (according to Scripture), for "believers!"  Jesus said in John 14:23 "...If a man love me, he will keep my words..."  Does this leave "believers" "free will" or a choice? 

The GOD I serve KNOWS ALL!  He is "Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end!"   (Revelation 1:8; 11)  I John 3:19 says "...and he knows everything!"  Psalms 139:4 says "Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether!" 
    How can a "believer" not believe in predestination?  IT IS WRITTEN in the Word of God!

Therefore, yes "unbelievers" do have "free will" to "choose whom they will serve," but if they choose GOD, there is NO "free will!"

1. The0NatureBoy profile image57

There are no unbelievers, believe is accepting something needing proof, we all do but truth seekers, realizing they have no proof begin seriously searching of answers.  Believers accept free will, truth seekers, the faithful (Heb 11:1), seeks proof.

2. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Tell the Atheist "There r no unbelievers..."
      Heb 11:1 contradicts ur statement"..the faithful seeks proof."  It says "..hoped for, the evidence of thgs not seen.." Why "seek proof" when unseen? Believers need faith!
      Did Jesus have "free will?

3. The0NatureBoy profile image57

Everyone believes something but few people are faithful enough to seek proof of what they believe.  Believing precedes being faithful, the FAITHFUL FINDS PROOF IN SUPPORT OF WHAT THEY BELIEVE, thus, there are no nonbelievers but many unfaithful.

4. profile image52

Eli: I'm talking "Spiritual!"  Yes, everyone "blv" in something, but belief in "GOD" is what I'm referring to!  Even JESUS said "Not my WILL, but thine be done!" Does that sound like "free will" when IN Christ? ALL talk carnally when it's Spiritual!

Do you believe to the point that you say "not my will but thine" to father? Have father shown you enough evidence and substance that you can surrender your every will to it for it to guide your every action? If not, you have no faith, only believe.

6. profile image52

"Believing" in "rightly divided Word" rather than having "faith" in Word "out of context," is a start in the right direction!  Like reading a map, if headed the wrong way, still LOST no matter how much "faith!"

We're ALL "growing!"  II Cor 3:18!

7. The0NatureBoy profile image57

By your words I can say YOU ARE TRUELY LOST.

8. profile image0

The arrogance of men..

9. profile image52

Eli: My words? R u still bringing "sacrifices?" That has been "rightly divided" (I hope)!  If u do, headed in "wrong direction!"  We MUST cont to "grow!" II Cor 3:18!

Pete: "Arrogance?"  Why don't us "study to see if these those r so" vs. "judging?"

10. Buildreps profile image85

It is an act of ignorance, Elijah Alfred, telling that someone is lost because he doesn't adopt your position of faith. What you might not realize is that condemning others is one of the many faces of Maya.

11. profile image52

Build: I wouldn't mine IF Eli had "proof" (as I've given) fm the Word of God of his faith, but his belief is totally "against" Scripture! All I've said is under NC we r 2 "do as the Apostles did" since JESUS was talking thru them in which he disagre

12. Buildreps profile image85

I praise Elijah for his choice to reject any scriptures.

13. profile image52

My Bible (Scriptures/belief) says so does Satan!

Jm 2:19 Satan "trembles!"

14. profile image0

So God and the Devil and all the believers don't have free will but all the atheist do have free will.!! Wow am I glad I have free will and can choose in my live and be responsible for my actions. Good or bad.

15. Buildreps profile image85

Everyone has free will, whether they like it or not. No scripture, No Demiurge or any Karma can change that. There is though Cause and Effect that has many (meta)physical levels, but that still doesn't change the fact of free will.

16. profile image0

Well said buildreps

17. The0NatureBoy profile image57

Buildreps, did you comprehend NW's words?  She's reading the map but do not understands the intention of it, what else could she be?  I will accept being arrogant knowing she does comprehend what she reads, thus her words reveals her lostness.

18. profile image52

Build: It's true if one is not a "believer!"  Did Jesus have "free will?" Aren't "believers" suppose to be Christ-like? There it is- Truth- No "freewill for "believers" but "not my will but thine be done!"

Eli: Study!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)