Do you contend that in order to be highly successful, one must have an unblemish

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Do you contend that in order to be highly successful, one must have an unblemished, even  perfect

work record?  Do you further believe that an imperfect and blemished work record is a strong deterrent to success?  Do you also strongly contend that people who have been terminated(i.e. fired) from their jobs WON'T be highly successful as they are considered to be failures in the eyes of employers?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9061820_f260.jpg

2. ronbergeron profile image83
    ronbergeronposted 8 years ago

To me, having an "unblemished" or "perfect" work record implies that you've never taken a risk. It's easy to be non-controversial if you never take a strong position. That can be interpreted as being either wishy-washy or untested.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily the case.An unblemished &perfect work records means that the person is a great employee.Employers LOVE such employees & WANT them as they aren't deemed problematic.No employer wants an employee w/a blemished/imperfect record!

2. ronbergeron profile image83
      ronbergeronposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That depends entirely on what the "blemishes" are. If someone is perpetually late or was caught stealing from the company, then I agree that they won't be wanted. Other types of "failures" can be valuable learning experiences.

3. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 8 years agoin reply to this

An unblemished record, means that everything did not get reported to the personnel department or the company president.

4. gmwilliams profile image85

While there ARE favorites who receive preferential work treatment, many people w/perfect/unblemished work histories and records are legit!  Such stellar employees DO exist!

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7504730_f260.jpg

In order to be highly successful especially in the corporate sphere, one must have an unblemished, even perfect work history and record.  People with blemished and imperfect work histories and records really don't go so far in the corporate world.  Such people are viewed as flawed, even damaged by superiors and bosses.  They are considered not to have what it takes to become successful, especially if they are considered for high powered and leadership positions.  Who is going to follow such a flawed person-NO ONE.  Employers want to promote people who have provability which translates into that they must be perfect and unblemished as people tend to follow those who are deem as perfect as possible so the former have someone to look up to, even emulate.

Also people with imperfect and blemished work records are seen as damaged goods, failures, even losers.  They are considered not success material by prospective employers who in all likelihood won't hire them because of the negative image of failure.  While we are on the subject, people who have been fired from their jobs, not downsized nor laid off, are less likely to be highly successful because of their negative work record.  People who are highly successful in most cases have NEVER been fired from any job and have experienced levels of success in the workplace.  Also, being fired from a job is a stigma which will follow that person wherever h/she goes.   It will be difficult for such a people in light of his/her firing to obtain a job and if h/she gets a job, h/she will be treated and perceived to be a failure.  Also, there is a higher likelihood, h/she will also be fired from the present job as h/she was in the past job and the cycle continues.  H/she will probably become unemployable or merely settle for crappy jobs.

1. profile image0

Your comments are typical of the 30something group. If your career that covered 37 years, not counting the after school job in high school or the dish washing job and never made a mistake is not accurate. People learn from mistakes. Perfection is har

2. gmwilliams profile image85

I am in your age category.  There are people who have perfect work histories and records and have worked a long time.  People w/blemished work records are viewed as failures/problematic. They aren't good employment prospects at all!

3. profile image0

If you never made a mistake, it means you never took a chance, never disagreed with a superior politely, and dumped the routine work on a subordinate. If you never made a mistake, at least none that anybody caught, you must be the CEO of the company

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 8 years ago

The issue is, what is an unblemished work record? Some people change jobs, "looking for greater" challenges when, In fact, they fear they are on the chopping block.

Constant perfection is hard to achieve. When I was hired for my last real job, in 1982, I was interviewed by a large committee. I knew the person I was replacing. He died  about a year earlier. I told the group I had a good knowledge of the industry, a strong writing and research skiills,  but I was not an outgoing person like my predecessor. It was that statement that started the questions, which I were able to answer and got me a job. I went without references, because I was not ready to tell my current employer, I was looking. That action falls into the "don't burn your bridge's" category.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)