Have I joined HubPages on the worst time? Is HP dying?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (29 posts)
  1. StephanPoe profile image69
    StephanPoeposted 8 years ago

Have I joined HubPages on the worst time? Is HP dying?

I've been here for 3 weeks, I'm actually enjoying it, the community is great and intelligent I'm learning a lot.
    But let's be honest, the money also matters a bit, I want to make a few extra bucks too. But now EVERYONE is talking about moving and leaving HP.  Such posts leave me doubting, should I just go and start somewhere else?

Also, for the time I've been here, I'm actually surprised with the penny's I've got. Discussing earnings Is not allowed, so let me just say I thought I would make money to buy a bubblegum and I have enough to buy a ice-cream. Not bad, I expected way lower $

2. Misfit Chick profile image77
    Misfit Chickposted 8 years ago

Not everyone is talking about leaving. I'm not. I would not say that I am extremely happy with HP - but the payout is acceptable considering the quality of this writing site. Of course I wish that both the quality and the payout were more - and I wish HP did a better job with their website and listening to their users. I'm not sure why our opinions are completely ignored. That's how it seems, anyway. If this was more a community writing site instead of a select few (who seem ignorant about a few things) making all the important decisions; it would probably be better. But in the end, in my opinion - HP is 'good enough'. wink

If any HP honchos are listening and give a crap... You could begin significantly improving the basic quality of HP articles simply by rejecting bad ones to begin with. There is an 'approval' time before articles are official published - and yet, so many of them are allowed to be published with loads of spelling and grammar errors. That isn't even taking into consideration what the actual words are saying, yet.

Why is no one actually approving these articles and letting them slip by? It's ludicrous - especially since so many of them manage to be chosen for Hub of the Day, also - double ludicrous.

If you would send articles back to be corrected TO BEGIN WITH; people could correct them and HP wouldn't be such a joke-writer site to so many people.

StephanPoeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't things are so bad either, people love to complain specially when it involves money and traffic.
      I think HP should create a Hubbers squad to help editors filter bad hubs, I'm sure some wouldn't mind contributing. Overall it would be better

2. Misfit Chick profile image77
      Misfit Chickposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have actually suggested that in the past... The basic 'first run' of any article could be done by hubber volunteers who are qualified enough to identify the most basic writing errors and offer editing suggestions, etc. It could be easy.

3. paolaenergya profile image91
      paolaenergyaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have only started becoming more active on HP a month ago and I've noticed that users can get involved in peer review - you can score other users' articles for quality control. Maybe HP should advertise this feature more

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years ago

I've been here 4 years and people have been talking like that the whole time.  Stay.  Write. Enjoy!

1. Kristen Howe profile image92
      Kristen Howeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've been  here almost a year. It takes a while to make money. HP isn't dying.  It's just been changing and revamping the website. Update/edit your hubs, share them via social media, and keep writing hubs.  Everyone's here been super nice to me.

2. StephanPoe profile image69

I will, I do not intend on giving up already smile

4. Au fait profile image85
    Au faitposted 8 years ago

Yes people have been talking about leaving for years, and some have done so.  I've been here nearly 4.5 years and I've looked at other sites.  Some people write for other sites as well as this one and recommend not putting all one's eggs in one basket.

This isn't a perfect site by any means.  In some ways it's a little barbaric, but believe it or not, many of the other sites are much worse and don't pay as well either.

One thing that we have here so far anyway, is access to the people who run this site.  When we have questions or concerns we can contact them and they will get back to us, usually fairly soon.  If not them, then one of their staff will respond.  Other sites I've experienced give people no way to contact them, and if you figure out a way, what you will get is a wall of silence regardless of the issue.  Some people complain about the communication here between the people who own and run this site and the rest of us, but from my experience elsewhere, the communication here is excellent.  No, not perfect, but 100% better than the places that want your participation but give all but nothing back in return, not even answers to problems.

Things are set up here so that if a person has any ability at all s/he can put together a very professional looking article pretty easily.  Lots of good tools are available to do all kinds of things here.  Other sites I've experienced don't have such great writing tools, publishing on their sites isn't so easy, and sometimes it can be a downright PIA.

For many of us, even if we write on other sites, HubPages is #1, and we take care of things here before tending to other work elsewhere.

Hang in there for a while and you'll see that even though things change because that's what all things do in this world no matter what it is, many of your friends will still be here in a few years.  New people join all the time too, so there's an opportunity to add more friends.

I agree HP might not be perfect, but sure is better than most. And things will get better, we got have some faith in HP staff

5. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

I have been here for 5 years. For that entire 5 years people have said they were leaving, including myself from time to time. The thing is writing on HP is a lot like working in a restaurant. Half work their butt off and complain because they feel like they are not getting what they want. The other half do little and expect more, but the common thing is we all find something to complain about, but we all stay through all the drama because of the relationships we have created or the love of the work.
    Most people on here are social with each other. Many of us have built online relationships with others here. To top that many of us really enjoy writing and making the money we make even if it is nothing to really brag about (except the few who are actually making bill money here)
    The frustration comes from a lot, that I am sure you have read, but when you have this many people on one site there will always be drama, dislikes, complaints, and annoyances. You didn't come at the wrong time. Write, make some ice cream money, and make some friends, or enemies if that suits you better! smile

I tried making some nemesis but people here are so nice big_smile

2. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well said peeples.  It does seem like a lot of our antagonists left the building - can't say I mind all that much.  I prefer friends to enemies lol. They "sky has been falling" ever since I arrived too 4 years ago.

6. Dale Mazurek profile image61
    Dale Mazurekposted 8 years ago

I did leave.  However not because of hubpages but because of personal reasons.  However in the back of my mind I always wanted to come back.  I loved this place before and I love it again.  I am currently doing a bunch of stuff behind the scenes but soon enough the new and improved Dale will be showcasing some great hubs and fixing some old ones

Comebaaaaack Dale! We need a bigger active community! And good hubs of course

7. Angel198625 profile image87
    Angel198625posted 8 years ago

I joined hubpages a couple years ago. When I joined, people were talking about earnings going down, how to increase page views, how they weren't making money, etc. They still do. No matter what, you will have that. It's just the way it is with such a large community. People that have something negative to say are often quicker to say it than people with something positive to say. Instead of looking at all of that, form your own opinion.

If I would have listened to all of that a couple years ago, I wouldn't be making pay out almost every month. I would have never even dreamed of transforming writing into a career, or knew that it was possible. I write for all kinds of people now, but HubPages is where it all started. Something to think about...

Wow that is actually very motivating. Glad HP started it all for you, I hope it does for me to

8. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 8 years ago

I have been here for 5 years, i left 2 years ago after the traffic and earning went down due to the panda. But i still get paid as long my earning reached $50, usually 6 month's later. Then i came back to hp because this is the place that really really pays you even i was not active. Now  i am staying here for good

1. paolaenergya profile image91

That's good news! Just checked your profile and become a fan. Looking forward to reading your hubs

9. paolaenergya profile image91
    paolaenergyaposted 8 years ago

That's an excellent question. I think it all depends on your expectations, so if you are enjoying that ice cream, then you're in the right place!

I had joined 2 years ago and forgotten about it, so I started writing hubs a month ago.

Currently I can't even buy chewing gum with the earnings, but I am thinking about the long term plan.

So far I am getting to know some interesting people on HP and I have improved the way I structure content (and even have tackled my big mental block of writing more than 1,000 words!).

Of course I had joined initially to make money, don't we all? Let's see what the next year has in stock...

Good luck with your hubs, I am now following you

Hello Paola!

Thanks for following, and do not worry, soon we will both making regular ice cream, hell I'll even let you have a taste of my chocolate ice cream if HP pays on time big_smile

2. paolaenergya profile image91

Hello back! Chocolate ice cream is my favourite, good choice!

10. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11922549_f260.jpg

Stay ! My income has dropped as well as my number because we have been traveling, Sadly some of my Hub awards have disappeared but I will still stay and try get some more hubs written. I struggle with Adult ADHD which is annoying but will keep trying to answer questions etc !

11. Ardot profile image81
    Ardotposted 8 years ago

It took me quite a while to build up my hubs, as well as my earnings.... three weeks is way to early to expect any considerable earnings.  I'd say it took me about six months before i got my first $50 payout.... then they started coming quicker and quicker.
    I have not written a hub in quite a while and I'm still earning about two tanks of gas worth per month!
    So don't give up my fellow hubber!

12. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

I've been on HP 5 years. In that time I've seen a lot of changes.. not all for the better. And at some point my money halved for no apparent reason, then quartered, and I started to lose interest in adding more hubs. Instead I created another off-site website just in case HP goes under. My HP earnings have never been good after "the crash" a couple years ago, although it's enough that I keep it going here. My advice is to save all your pages onto your computer. If anything does happen to HP, or you want to leave, then all that work won't be wasted and you can publish it elsewhere. I don't see that there's much of a democratic nature here, seems to all come down from the top. I could be wrong, but.. there's definitely a ruling elite. Whatever they're doing, I used to make like 6 times the money I'm making now. Just save your stuff and you should be fine.

13. Viki Pan profile image34
    Viki Panposted 8 years ago

I have joined Hub Pages a few months ago, but I don't regret that at all! I have found lots of people to follow here who share my interests and those I would like to follow myself. If you are not sure whether it makes sense to remain the Hub member, then you probably don't take the resource seriously and have other options. I can assure you, however, that if you stay here, you won't regret the choice!

14. profile image0
    temptor94posted 8 years ago

There are 3 good things about Hubpages that are not offered by other platforms:
    1. The Hubtool is wonderful and allows us to create media-rich content, without worrying about formatting. All we need to worry about is using the right keywords at the right places for better SEO.
    2. Hubpages have a great trust factor with Google, which is why search engine exposure is easier with articles on Hubpages than on other platforms like Blogger (though Blogger is Google's own), Hubpages hubs seem to perform better than Blogger posts., at least in my experience.
    3. You can write about any topic on Hubpages, whereas Blogger blogs are expected to be more focussed on specific areas. Of course you can write about anything on Blogger but then your blog won't do so well SEO-wise unless it concentrates on a specific area.

Having said that, I personally think it is better to try out multiple options and not depend on a single website for earnings. If you have a Google Adsense account, you can use Hubpages as well as Blogger to profit from both. In fact many users have multiple Blogger blogs for different topics. Don't bother with Wordpress because they don't allow Google Adsense.

15. profile image0
    promisemposted 8 years ago

Every time someone says they have found a better site for writing, that site is usually gone within a few years.

HubPages is good because it evolves with the times. It's a survivor. Some of us who have been online for a long time count our blessings when we find a site like HP.

16. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

It's amazing how the same things are repeated on the forums over the years. Another one you see often is someone saying HP is doomed and is going to go under any minute now.

I've always preferred HP over any other writing site. It has the best potential in terms of earnings, has the best admin and is the most user friendly, with the best looking articles/layout. This is the site where I've done most of my writing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)