Have you ever read a book that had you looking over your shoulder?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 8 years ago

Have you ever read a book that had you looking over your shoulder?

A long time ago I read a book by Peter Straub, "Ghost Story" and it was so terrifyingly eerie, I had to sit with my back to a wall as I was so creeped out while reading it. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up as they say.  It is a great thriller and draws you right into the eerie scenes.  I loved it.  Even Stephen King said it is one of the best horror novels.  Image courtesy of Wikipedia.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12652793_f260.jpg

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years ago

He was a great seller in my book store way back, one of the top so I would have read at least one of his because that is what I did to truthfully say I had read this or that author but truthfully I don't recall the book. I could not stand Stephen King (too scary!) but read a couple of his but Dean Koontz was my favorite writer of fiction books of that type.
    I usually read True Crime though and those are ones that have you looking over your shoulder. lol You start looking at people differently knowing someone perfectly innocent looking could be a murderer or rapist because this is true. I haven't read them in years now but it was really a great reading time in my life. Books always beat the movie in my opinion.

Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think he didn't hit it big until this book came out way back in 1979!  I've only read a couple of Stephen King too. Oh, yes, Dean Koontz is best.  Oh, I know those True Crime will have you looking over your shoulder big time. Books rule!

3. Frank Atanacio profile image74
    Frank Atanacioposted 8 years ago

hmmm come to think about it.. hmm.. well.. hmmm. No.

Hmmm, that is interesting, Frank.  Well, come to think of it, all of your writing makes me look over my shoulder LOL ...You are such a fright.  I mean, your writing is chilling.

4. chefmancave profile image72
    chefmancaveposted 8 years ago

"The Fall" by Albert Camus is philosophically scary. The book makes you think. It makes the reader point the finger at themselves. "The Fall" was the last of three fictional novels written by Camus and is considered his best work.

Hi Robert, thank you for answering.  I will have to read "The Fall" as I do love the philosophically scary ones too.  My interest is piqued in reading Camus.

5. Sparklea profile image59
    Sparkleaposted 8 years ago

Hi Faith,
    Can't recall scary books, but I have to say I read Billy Buc's manuscript, 'Shadows Kill' and it was REALLY scary. I felt a ton of emotion and fear many times throughout.  I have also read parts of his second novel, "Shadows Over Innocence" which I find to be riveting and nail biting.  He promised he would send the finished draft in the future.  Both affected me because it was not about vampires or zombies...his stories were true to LIFE, and could REALLY happen...AND I admit I DO look over my shoulder, a lot, especially since I go to the movies and the reality of at least three movie shootings in the United States.  Recently I went to a real early morning matinee and I was the only one in the theatre.  I watched a thriller, and I was looking behind me ALOT.  I felt unsafe alone in the theatre because I sit only 3 rows back from the screen.
    Speaking of movies, the movie, "I Saw What You Did" scared me so much I have never gotten over it, and that was when I was in my twenties.
    This is a great question, Faith!  God bless always and you and your family remain on my prayer list.  My computer is ILL and dying, but I have your last email in my inbox and will answer soon.  Sparklea smile

Hi Sparklea, Wow, sounds like Bill accomplished what he set out to do in his writing!  I am not into zombies and such, but the real deal stuff is what truly creeps me out too, for as you say, it can really happen. Thank you for the great answer here.

2. Sparklea profile image59
      Sparkleaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Faith I never attend vampire movies, no interest!  friends of mine loved the Twilight series but I just couldn't get into it smile

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Lea, yes, it seems the younger generation are really into the Twilight  series for sure.  I watched them, and they were okay.  I am surprised that I loved Abe Lincoln's Vampire Hunter.  I didn't want to watch but I found it interesting.

6. Venkatachari M profile image84
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

I remember reading some scary books in my childhood that had me look over my shoulder. Written by my father and one more partner, they were 20 books in series in our Telugu language. Dealing with evil spirits and ghosts. The books were named "Mahaamaaya". I inserted two 'a's to stretch longer the pronunciation.
    Regarding movies, I watched many movies in our Indian languages and some in English which made me look over my shoulder - "Avatar', Godzilla', 'Mad Max', 'Aliens' watched in 3D.

Hi Ven, those childhood books from your Telugu language certainly sound terrifying.  As far as movies, The Exorcist is the most terrifying to me for it can happen!

7. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 8 years ago

I read the book, Turning of the Screw, in the 10th grade. It was night, and both my parents were working the night shift.  The window in the bathroom was open and the void of darkness reflected in the enormous mirror when I turned on the light. I slammed the window shut, grabbed my poodle, and ran into my room feeling like something was about to grab me.  I had to finish the book.   Everyone in my class freaked out reading that book.- Then there were the Grimm's Fairy Tales my brother always wanted my mother to read to us.  The originals are very scary. After reading some of them as an adult my verdict is the same they are still horrible.

Hi Judy, Yes, that is exactly the feeling I am talking about especially reading, Turning of the Screw! Thank you for the great descriptive answer. The Grimm's are grim ...

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60
      tirelesstravelerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for best answer.

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

You're welcome.  Thank you for the great answer and telling exactly how reading those books spooked you.

8. moonfairy profile image75
    moonfairyposted 8 years ago

I also read "Ghost Story" and it had the same effect on me as it had on you. It terrified me! I loved the story but I literally got goose bumps while reading certain parts. I love a good horror story so I totally enjoyed the book!

Hi moonfairy, Yes, exactly!  The way it is written is just so eerie to me and creeped me out when I was reading alone in the house.  Thank you for sharing that with me and I am glad to know someone else read that book and it had the same effect.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)