Whats the difference between the pope blessing someone and a witch doctor perfor

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (44 posts)
  1. getitrite profile image70
    getitriteposted 8 years ago

Whats the difference between the pope blessing someone and a witch doctor performing voodoo ritual

And what about exorcisms? Is there objective proof that the pope's rituals are based in reality, and the other mere primitive superstitious nonsense? And what about the efficacy?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12687168_f260.jpg

2. SpiritusShepherd profile image61
    SpiritusShepherdposted 8 years ago

The main difference is who is being prayed too. When the pope blesses a person he is doing it in the name of God and his own name. When a voodoo witch doctor (the correct term being Hougan or Bokor depending on what type of magic is being performed) calls upon the Loa or "spirits".

The blessing is normally words meant to bring good tidings while in a voodoo ritual a person is usually possessed by one of the Loa and learns information on healing spells or potions that might work for the person.

I would recommend the book I am not Afraid by Robert H. Bennett. He details his time spent among the Malagasy tribes in Madagascar (their religion is very similar to voodoo) and even covers the efficiency or inefficiency of certain religions and their style of exorcism.

getitriteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Are you implying that blessings and spells have an actual effect?  I thought that both were essentially useless

2. SpiritusShepherd profile image61
      SpiritusShepherdposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do believe that blessings and spells can have an effect on a person's life.

3. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I Googled miracles fm Pope & found baby w/hole in heart healed but I must agree, with 1 resp, why doesn't he do more like Jesus? Get out & be a blessing to the WORLD not just 1 baby? Never saw that 1 on CNN! Why? They show everytime he moves,

4. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

We live in a post-modern world. Miracles cannot be proven scientifically, it is  unfortunate, but no one wants to advertise miracles or "supernatural" as news.

5. profile image51

Kris: POPE should NOT be "religiously correct" due to "post-modern world." Isn't he to be "Christ-like?" "Rather please man than God?" That's what's "unfortunate" when so many follow!
      RELIGION=Satan's Greatest Device to lose souls & LAUGHING!

6. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

The media wants nothing to with miracles.

7. profile image51

Kris: And it seems "branch offs" from Catholics (RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS) do not either! Nor do they want anything to do w/THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT which makes 1 "appear drunk" (Acts 2:13) for to them it's "RELIGIOUSLY INCORRECT!" Lutherans?

8. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

It is incorrect to base our faith on seeing miracles. "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe" but faith should be based on what Jesus did for us

9. profile image51

Kris: TRUTH! YOU should "Study" rather than listening to any "Denomination" or "Religion!" Go into closet with Holy Spirit & ask what should be done under "New Covenant!" You do believe in New Covenant don't you or do you still leave under Old 1?

3. Oztinato profile image74
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

The principle is the same however if we throw out the cherished principle of evolution when it suits our argument we bend facts to suit an "agenda". This agenda is total religious intolerance. On the other hand if we properly embrace the principle of evolution we can easily see that religions like everything else change and evolve to suit the spiritual environment. So why do people both promote evolution and deny it at the same time? Hypocrisy.

I really cant get the gist of what u are saying here. I am asking for explanations as to why there would be differences between the Pope's blessing and a witch doctor's ritualistic nonsense....if any

2. Oztinato profile image74
      Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The principle is the same.
      A sincere blessing from a spiritual leader in an indigenous community is the same as a blessing from the pope.

3. profile image51

Kris: What spirit exist in u when "Pope" does NOTHING like Christ but say GOD? Why would u be "unequally yoked" (n agremnt) w/unbelievers who do not live "After the Day of Pentecost" where we SHOULD live? Have u studied Scripture?

4. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

The Pope does pray to God and believe in God, even if his theology is flawed. Am I in agreement with him? No. I am Lutheran, he is Catholic.

5. profile image51

Kris: Lutheran? Do they teach "After the Day of Pentecost" where we CURRENTLY live under New Covenant?  If not, "Christ died in vain" and Galatians 1:6-9 applies which says (2x's) "ACCURSED!"

6. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

Christ alone saves us by grace alone, through faith alone. Can't get much more New Testament than that.

7. profile image51

Kris: Oh yes u can! Did u not read Gal 1:6-9? ACCURSED? Not in Scripture for nothing! 
      If not living under "New Covenant" not New Testament which includes The Gospels (LAW), then ACCURSED (Gal 1:6-9)!  Lutherans?

8. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

Covenant and Testament mean the same thing

9. profile image51

Kris: That is NOT TRUE!  The Gospels (Matt, Mark, Lk & John) are under the LAW! Gal 4:4 said Jesus was "born under the law" & his life on earth was under the law, fulfilling the law; remember? The NC wasn't eff until Acts 2:2 when Holy Spirit

10. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

The New Covenant was set up when Jesus died,"Take drink of it all of you for this is the cup the new covenant which is shed for you for the forgiveness of sin"

11. profile image51

Kris: Read Jer 31:33;Heb8:10;10:16 to find origination of New Covenant where Holy Spirit (Jn14:26)would "put laws in hearts & minds,"came n Acts 2:2 & began "puting/writng" in apostles "hrts & mnds" telling them what to tell us for Salvat

4. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8131246_f260.jpg

Good question I might add.  There is really no difference between many so-called religious rituals and rituals conducted by so-called shamans, witch doctors, and other such practitioners.  In fact, one can say that religions are outgrowths of such rituals.   Many religions have incorporated such rituals in their practices. 

Religious rituals are designed to deal with the human unconscious.  They are designed to deal with the feeling, not thinking nature of humankind.  Such rituals are analogous to a hallucinogen, it makes people high and feel good for participating in them.   

Exorcisms are merely superstition and based upon some self fulfilling prophecy.  The person believes that somehow h/she is possessed and this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The priest or authority is sent in to quell the possession.  This exorcism craze is just another excuse for religious authorities to exercise their power over the masses and keep them in bu$ine$$.   Also, if religion did not have rituals, the masses will lose interest in religion.  After all, rituals keep the masses ensconced in a fantastical world which is better than facing their own, gray, monotonous world, now isn't it.

It is all the same. The only difference is that the masses have been tricked into thinking that Western ritualistic nonsense is somehow superior to that of Third World, or developing nations rituals. Its ALL primitive nonsense

5. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

NONE!  Catholics are False Prophets and witch doctors of "evil" spirit as well!

If Catholics are so "Christ-like," have you ever seen one heal the sick, raise the dead, or done anything "Supernaturally?"  I haven't seen on CNN!  Have you?

That should tell one something!

1. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

I haven't seen any other Christians on CNN with miracles either, at least none that can be objectively proven. I have seen Catholics and many others on unreliable television shows claiming to have experienced a great miracle.

2. profile image51

I don't see any other "Christians" but Catholic (Pope) on CNN have you? They are the ONLY "religiously correct" (govt) organization according to society yet haven't see any miracles! You? I've never seen them on ANY shows claiming miracles!

3. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

I've seen Catholics on shows about miracles, seen Christians on shows about miracles. Seen miracles? No. Other than the miracle of Salvation, which is the most important miracle. Other miracles I have only heard about second or third hand

4. profile image51

Kris: Well, I've seen "first hand!"  Why don't you "Study" the New Covenant which we CURRENTLY live under? Then you're on your way to Salvation! (Gal 1:6-9). It's great to come "unto Christ," but one MUST BE "IN CHRIST" to receive Salvation!

5. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

1 Peter 3:21 Baptism now saves you. I do not doubt my Salvation, but I trust in his Word.

6. profile image51

Kris: NO! The Gospel of Christ now saves you! Gal 1:6-9! If not living under NEW COVENANT according to The Gospel of Christ, one is ACCURSED! Why do you think that's in Scripture? If Christ died, left NC, u don't follow, no Salvation says Gal 1:6-9!

7. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

1 Peter 3:21

8. profile image51

Kris: U misunderstood I Pet 3:21! "NOT PUTTING AWAY OF THE FILTH OF FLESH.." then how can it save? Jesus' Blood saves us if we live under NC! MUST live "After the Day of Pentecost"/NC for Salvation! "teaching..to OBSERVE ALL THGS..Matt 28:20! Do u?

9. SpiritusShepherd profile image61

How do you interpret 1 Peter 3:21? or Romans 6:4

10. profile image51

Kris: One can't get to "baptism" or "newness of life" until 1 lives under what Jesus DIED for (New Covenant) which began in Acts 2:2 after Holy Spirit (our Helper) came! NEW DAY came on Day of Pentecost when 1st CHURCH was established & we FOLLOW

11. getitrite profile image70

Norine: U are correct. Catholics are false prophets...because there is no such thing as a PROPHET. Thats just made up nonsense to keep the gullible in a childlike state...believing in things that have no basis in reality...NONE! This is disturbing!

12. profile image51

Apparently u r an "unbeliever!" 
      Therefore, provide another book written BEFORE bible with as many accurate prophecies that have been fulfilled?

13. getitrite profile image70

Since the bible has nothing but fictional nonsensical stories, I fail to see your question as anything but irrelevant. Why are u trying to convince us that u know something that u dont? This whole ancient dogma is based on nothing but pure nonsense.

14. profile image51

Get: Well, provide the other book and PROVE "nonsense?"
      GIVE ME "FACTS" as unbelievers demand!

15. getitrite profile image70

So then lets state your conclusion using a syllogism:
      1. The silly holy book with the Most true prophecies proves their God
      2. The bible is the silly holy book with the most true prophecies
      3. Therefore the biblical God is true.
      *premise FAIL!

16. profile image51

Get: FACTS are FACTS! Don't you seek FACTS or do you REFUSE only to justify "remaining in sin?" 
      TRUTH is what it's ALL about!
      Silly premise? NOPE!  WORD from the HOLY SPIRIT!
      Now, PROVIDE THAT BOOK?
      Otherwise; *premise FAIL!
      NO JUSTIFICATION FOR..

17. getitrite profile image70

I was hoping that u understood the bare basics of logical exchange. NOPE! Apparently u are so focused on "GOD DONE IT" that u have rewired your thoughts to ignore logic, while continuing this straw man ultimatum. VERY DISTURBING mindset!!!.

18. profile image51

Get: And you continue to listen to "YOUR FATHER OF LIES" - SATAN - to justify continuing to live in sin & HE IS LAUGHING @ YOU! 

Now that's a "VERY DISTURBING mindset!!!."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)