Do people of average intelligence(90-100 IQ) unnerve & scare you? Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Do people of average intelligence(90-100 IQ) unnerve & scare you?  Why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12684018_f260.jpg

2. jravity1 profile image59
    jravity1posted 8 years ago

No, because they are average. They are not dumb, so I am not afraid of them doing something dumb. They are not super smart, so I am assuming they will not do something smart. So... they must do something average. Maybe they go to the mall, or answer test adequately ...who knows.

I am not scared of something that is not scary, and if this scares you, then you have average intelligence.

gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I find averageness to be dull.  To me, averageness is equated w/slowness.  Average people are just plain unnerving to me.  Give me gifted & genius people anytime, such people are my speed!

2. jravity1 profile image59
      jravity1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what your IQ is, but if mine was as high as yours, I would not want to be around you. I can see just from your comment, that I do not like you, and honestly someone who is gifted or a genius, would be smart enough to treat people better.

3. gmwilliams profile image84

I have dealt w/average people.  I treat all people w/kindness sir.  I was just stating my opinion on averageness, thank you.

4. jravity1 profile image59

To me, averageness is equated w/slowness.

END QUOTE

3. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12692326_f260.jpg

Not really!  (Average means the vast majority of people)
    I believe the last time I took an IQ test I was in the mid 120s. However I never consider myself "better" than people I suspect whose IQ may be lower than mine. I read somewhere that the vast majority of communication is geared towards 9th grade reading and comprehension levels.(Internet, Newspapers, & Magazines)
    Having said that it can be frustrating in some dealings with people who seem to be moving slow whether it has to do with their thinking or their overall approach to life in general. Big city VS small town.
    One also assumes that people with lower intelligence and lack of vocabulary are more likely to resort to aggressive behavior and violence when they're frustrated.
    Very few people think of thugs, gangsters, and thieves as being smart. There's not always a direct correlation of behavior to IQ.
    I've personally known people with very high IQs who struggle with mental illness and depression. Some of our best criminal minds have also had very high IQs.
    Although this is fictional I think that's what made Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs"  so scary. He was 10 steps ahead of everyone!
    I read Arnold Schwarzenegger has a IQ of 135, actress Natalie Portman: 140 as well as Madonna. Sharon Stone 154! and Quentin Tarantino: 160! However actor James Woods is 184!
    One never knows I suppose!

Oh I knew that Arnold, Madonna, & Sharon were beyond intelligent.  They range from the gifted to genius range as w/Natalie.  Quentin & James are stratospheric when it comes to intellect.  I wish that my IQ was 180 & above!

4. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12524318_f260.jpg

In a way people of average intellect can be unnerving, especially to those of higher intellect.   People of average intellect can be classified as unremarkable intellectually.  They are quite comfortable in their mediocrity or rather averageness.  They are the ones who do not have powers of discernment when it comes to logical analysis.  They can be easily led and are highly susceptible to manipulation, either positive or negative. In other words, they can be easily by those more authoritative than they are.

People of average intellect are the masses.  Advertisers can sway them to purchase their products because of the latter's level of intelligence.  Advertisers know that they have people of average intellect in the palm of their hands because such people are incapable of using discernment regarding analyzing a specific product.  Advertisers can become wealthy off people who have average IQs as they know that such people are gullible. 

Politicians and leaders use emotionally and other methods to pander to the lowest common denominator because that is what the people with average IQs understand.  They oftentimes cannot be appealed to logically.  They act instinctively rather than logically. They also do not have high self-esteem.  They adopt the persona of powerlessness because to them, power is what others who are more authoritative have.  One can aptly state that people with average IQs are followers, oftentimes possessing a herd mentality.  Politicians, advertisers, & other powerful people know this and use this herd mentality psychology to their advantage.

People of average intellect are the unnamed and unknown workers.  They do not have the capacity to be leaders as leadership requires discernment, analysis, and inductive/deductive reasoning.  They are the type of people who do not make waves.  They can be classified as obedient, sometimes unquestioningly so.  They are not adventurous nor curious people, preferring to remain in their particular comfort zone.  They can be quite unnerved at anything outside the familiar.

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

I would imagine that Average people do scare  some of those with higher I.Q's, ,   A lot of the higher IQ's that I've met  and dislike  are  very conceited instantly towards those deemed "lesser " than them .  Works both ways I'm sure . And yet , there's something within the intent of this very question that  actually verifies that ,      I mean is there  really a fear of average  intelligence by the higher IQ'd sort . and why ?    Doesn't that in itself show  perhaps the biggest flaw OF the intellectual opinion of  the lesser intell's ?
    In all actuality  intelligence alone isn't worth spit without "common sense "   ,  sharp wittedness ,   a worldly  view of  life , of people and especially of our differences , including IQ..      I have actually forgotten what my I.Q. is  , being in and of itself so meaningless .       Look around you ,  most of our worlds political , social , and natural problems are more than likely actually  created by intellectuals .

I remember in high school, a student who bragged how "prodigious" she was in comparison to other students. She laughed at one girl who didn't know or perhaps was unsure of an answer. The latter girl had an average IQ.

6. Gordon Wright profile image66
    Gordon Wrightposted 8 years ago

What scares me is people who think they're smarter than they are. People who know their own limitations are not a danger. People with delusions of superiority do colossal damage.

A guy with an IQ of 140 who thinks he has an IQ of 140 is no problem, and can do the world a lot of good. A guy with an IQ of 140 who thinks he's God is big trouble.

A guy with an IQ of 80 who thinks he has an IQ of 140 is a danger to himself and to anyone in his immediate vicinity. But he'll likely get himself killed before he can do much damage.

1. jravity1 profile image59

I don't think grace is going to understand this comment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)