What would you do with your winnings and buy if you won the Power-ball lottery j

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (31 posts)
  1. TheHoleStory profile image70
    TheHoleStoryposted 8 years ago

What would you do with your winnings and buy if you won the Power-ball lottery jackpot?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12833108_f260.jpg

2. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

I would keep a few million for myself, putting it in coupon bonds and living off the interest.  I would give the rest to carefully researched charities, so poor countries can get on their feet.

3. tsadjatko profile image66
    tsadjatkoposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12833319_f260.jpg

Given the FACT that with this last powerball chances of winning were 292,000,000 to 1 (some would say worse than the odds of listening to Donald Trump speech without hearing an insult) do you really think this is something anyone should waste time fantasizing about? Why in the world would anyone!

Death by Vending Machine Odds:  1 in 112 million. On average, two people in the U.S. are crushed to death underneath vending machines each year.

Dying in an Airline-Related Terrorist Attack Odds: 1 in 25 million.No one has died in an airplane-related terrorist attack since 9/11.

Having Identical Quadruplets Odds:  1 in 15 million. Identical quadruplets would be adorable, but you wouldn’t be able to support them because you probably won’t win the lottery…

Becoming President Odds:  1 in 10 million. Mitt Romney has seen these odds and he likes them.

Dying From Bee, Hornet, or Wasp Stings Odds:  1 in 6.1 million. Who knew bees were so scary? Then again, bees may not be as much of an issue this year.

Dying From Being Left-Handed Odds:  1 in 4.4 million. It’s a right-handed world. Apparently, a fair number of left-handed people die each year from using right-handed products incorrectly.

Becoming a Movie Star Odds:  1 in 1,505,000.There’s more than one way to make money in this world, and movie stardom is a better bet than playing the lottery.

Dying in a Plane Crash Odds:  1 in 1 million. If you are too scared to board a plane, why did you just buy a lottery ticket?

Death by Flesh-Eating Bacteria Odds: 1 in 1 million. Not as rare as one would hope, but there are worse ways to die. Maybe.

Getting Struck by Lightning Odds: 1 in 1 million. A lightning strike is probably still preferable to flesh-eating bacteria.

Dying in a Bathtub Odds: 1 in 840,000. These odds are not an excuse to stop bathing.

Dying in an On-the-Job Accident Odds:  1 in 48,000. If this applies to you, you may want to take a risk and buy that lottery ticket.

Murder Odds: 1 in 18,000.Hopefully it won’t be over a lottery ticket, but if it is, at least your murderer probably won’t win either!

Dying in an Asteroid Apocalypse Odds: 1 in 12,500. The good news is that this will probably never happen. That is, until the year 2040, when it’s totally going to happen!

Dying in a Car Accident Odds: 1 in 6,700. Good luck driving to the store to buy that lottery ticket.

So one in 292 Million! Here's what it looks like:

http://graphics.wsj.com/lottery-odds/#next

1. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL!
      As long as people keep buying lottery tickets, it's only a matter of time before the winning numbers come up. May the most generous person win!

2. tsadjatko profile image66
      tsadjatkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You have a good sense of humor&of humanity.If I won I'd give the money to u(sure I say that because I KNOW I will never win given the odds)know u don't have to buy a ticket to win,if it's God's will he could arrangefor u to find a winningticket

3. Say Yes To Life profile image80

Thanks! I'd give some of it back to you.

4. tsadjatko profile image66

I knew you would! Gee, now all that needs to happen is I win a lottery, would I be embarrassed!

4. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 8 years ago

I would travel to warm climates, relax on beaches, take in the sights, work out a bit, eat healthy, shop a little, give a lot, take a lot, love people and rest.

1. tsadjatko profile image66

Word, I do that already (and I'll wager so do you). We must have won the lottery and didn't even know it! :-)

5. Buildreps profile image83
    Buildrepsposted 8 years ago

I would give it all away. I don't need the money. I would buy huge plots of land all around the world, divide them into sections, and give it away for free to people who want to live solely of the land.

Yeah, giving stuff away is a great way to go, got Obama elected (twice) and put millions on food stamps etc. just giving people money and stuff they want but don't need (like many previous lottery winners now broke?) is what built America!

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's an incredibly generous outlook, Buildreps. Knowing your off-the-grid-lifestyle, it's not surprising U would want to offer others a chance to do this as well.  An entire neighborhood of people living this way would be quite fascinating!

6. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

The speculation is over.  If the announcement was correct, there are 3 winners.  At least ONE person didn't win that enormous sum of money.  It may have been nice if 20 or 25 individuals won.  Still plenty of money per person.

Hopefully all 3 people are financially wise, sensible people who do all the right things with such a large sum of money.  Of course it would be a wonderful thing if they include a charity in their plans.

The worst thing would be if all 3 people are extremely selfish, greedy people who simply hoard it all and indulge in all their own desires......but it certainly won't be the first time.

Not the question! But as I pointed out,the answer isn't worth the time it takes because it will NEVER happen I heard on the radio 1 person had all 6 numbers but all were 1digit below the winning numbers.Q&Awhat would you do if that was u? :-)

2. fpherj48 profile image60

I can READ, "T"~I KNOW that wasn't the Q. !  The drawing is over. U say "Never happen?"  but 3 people won! Even only ONE # off, below or above is still a loser. Doesn't matter if it's close! Wrong #'s? You lose.  Nothing anyone COULD do...right?

3. tsadjatko profile image66

Because someone beats the odds of 292 million to one is no reason for anyone to believe or fantasize they'll beat those odds...irrational wishful thinking, not that there is anything wrong with daydreaming about it, just calling a spade a spade.

4. fpherj48 profile image60

"T"....U are a Joy-less DUD. THREE people beats those crazy odds. 1-2- or all 3 may have even BELIEVED they would! "Wishful thinking is a POSITIVE thing. U add "irrational" bcuz U R a negative person. Put UR SPADE in the shed & lock the door!

5. tsadjatko profile image66

But you see believing NEVER makes it so,&is it really wise to imply that it does?I don't think so,think of the millions of poor people who waste money they really need to chase that DREAM, spending the rent,hundreds just to fund the winner?

6. fpherj48 profile image60

U must hang w/ some very wealthy OR nutty people. No one I know spends hundreds to play the Lottery. Many people are "positive" thinkers & Believe. R you saying they're all UNWISE? "BELIEVING NEVER makes it so?" U include the Bible?
      keep talking

7. VerityPrice profile image91
    VerityPriceposted 8 years ago

What a question!

Firstly I would pay off all of my parents debts. I'd also buy them their house, or just pay their rent for them. Buy them both cars too! I would also put aside a lump sum for my little brother. Then I would be able to comfortably know that I don't need to worry about paying my rent while I'm at uni and I would just pay a couple of years in advance or offer to buy the place outright smile I would pay off my student loans in advance too.

Then I would put aside enough that I could comfortably live off just the interest and I would start looking at charities and local projects to support smile

&you can't do all that without winning the lottery?You can,& many people do,&since those goals are now fresh in your mind I'll bet you do too.Those aren't pie in the sky"if I only won the lottery I could"but exemplary goals I'll bet you w

8. Rachel L Alba profile image90
    Rachel L Albaposted 8 years ago

I know a lot of people who need help.  I would start there.  If the church would except it, I would give some there too.  I would give some to research for children's diseases and keep some, which having that much wouldn't be hard and invest some.  I don't know what else.  Probably help out the local Salvation Army too.  But, first I would have to pray and see where God inspires me!

Nice to hear you'd seek God's inspiration first !What about seeking his inspiration about spending ur money on lottery tickets 1st?Would you do that?&when you loose that money,as the odds say you most definitely would,would that be on God?

2. Rachel L Alba profile image90
      Rachel L Albaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL  I never did nor will I play the lottery.  No, I don't think He would approve in the first place.  I was just answering hypothetically.

9. AlexK2009 profile image85
    AlexK2009posted 8 years ago

Assuming it was a large sum,

I would pay off all debts and  use the money to give myself a reliable passive income, preferably in a way that would  give a livelihood to as many people as possible, but leave something for emergencies and disperse some among my family.

Then I would

Relax,  live somewhere warm and friendly, get myself really fit, and research topics that interest me. I would also focus on health and fun

10. SolveMyMaze profile image48
    SolveMyMazeposted 8 years ago

If I had one the Powerball, the most outlandish thing I would do would be to amass a huge collection of classic supercars. Oh and of course I would get myself a Bugatti Veyron which is not a cheap car since it runs at £1.2million.

11. profile image53
    peter565posted 8 years ago

I put all the money into a high interest saving account. Then, because to a certain extend the money is like a gift from a state, half of the interest I get from the saving account, i will use it helping those people who are in need (mothers who are so poor they are about to have their kids taken away by social service) people who are homeless due to reason not their fault, people who are sick and open up an orphange, to adopt children who otherwise just get throw from one foster home to the next, for the rest of their life. I will also spend some of it, giving to charities that help the enviorment and charity that help protect animals.

As for the rest of the interest from the high interest saving account, some I will put it back into the account to grow more interest, spend some doing stuff I want to do for a long time, but can't afford to do.

12. Virginia Allain profile image87
    Virginia Allainposted 8 years ago

I'd love to donate a huge chunk of it to Bernie Sanders' campaign for president. Since there are campaign finance laws, I'd be limited to $2,700 for that.

There is the option to create a super PAC but Bernie prides himself on not being beholden to billionaires and corporate donors. He would not accept that a super PAC was working on his behalf.

It's a puzzle to figure out how I could use it on his behalf without violating that or the campaign funding rules.

13. lawrence01 profile image64
    lawrence01posted 8 years ago

I won't win because I don't buy the tickets! It's not for any "religious" reasons just statisticallythe odds are so great! A couple of years ago I did some sums on it and basically worked out a $10 ticket a week is $520 a year not including interest! Ten years its $5.2k that's a heap of money.
    Call me mean if you like but that's too big a sum to pass up! And it doesn't include interest that would start one month after the first $10 is in the account!
    Each to his own
    Lawrence

1. Say Yes To Life profile image80

Amen to that! You'd get far sirer returns putting it in a bond!

2. lawrence01 profile image64
      lawrence01posted 8 years agoin reply to this

True. We're learning about that! It's just nice to see interest going in every month!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)