Do you feel we all put up facades, and then when folks discover our facade, they

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. bluesradio profile image56
    bluesradioposted 8 years ago

Do you feel we all put up facades, and then when folks discover our facade, they become disappointed

2. ElvisaM profile image75
    ElvisaMposted 8 years ago

Yes. And to explain, a facade to me means a wall. If you have close friends, that wall does not exist because you are comfortable with those people. If you have friends who you are reserved about (Example would be your Pastors child who befriended you) it is natural to not want to be entirely open with them. If that person is a good person and really wants to be a part of your life or your solution then they will not be disappointed when they find out about your 'wall' rather they would try and help or understand why. This is a wall, a two sided one! There is always a reason why you have that wall and on the other side lies that reason. If you are anti-social as I am, you don't have to worry about any of that. This is basically why my permanent wall is up. I have trouble trusting people and it has been disappointing for others and each time I was the one who ended up being hurt.

bluesradioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I know I sometimes put up shells, and I have friends who are even worse...and sometimes I hide the bad habits I have and then when folks discover them they are disappointed in me and my habits....

2. ElvisaM profile image75
      ElvisaMposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes. And if you were very close with those people, your habits wouldn't be a big deal to them.

3. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

I like how Elvisa M described it and somewhat agree. I think we all initially put up some kind of facade even if it simply being silent. I would presume I put a facade generally with people I have not met. There will be some dependence on social amenity as well as given environment.

For instance I may be jovial when introduced by a friend to his/her other friend being on a familiar equal field of play. Contrast in a business meeting being introduced to a competitor's representative by an associat I am friendly with and not within an established friendship. Even though there may be seen an outward sign of friendship with handshake, it is based more on mutual respect.

With both cases those there was an initial facade. Perhaps I have a nature of being grumpy more oft than most. The first social situation may not reveal that thus a facade of disappointment with the next meeting. The other does not mean closeness of a formed friendship may not occur. If it was received as business only then there was a false facade regarding difference between friendly and friendship.

Yes I hear you Tim...Sometimes I have to put up a facade of actually liking or believing what the other person believes if they are in a political stance or religious stance that I do not agree with...Rather than getting into a discussion, let it go.

4. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

Hey I was born and raised to put up a wall. What happens here stays here was a family tradition. You dressed right, you cleaned yourself right and you spoke right or you were in big trouble. And that facade better be a cheery one or else. You liked what you were served and you respected even those you had no respect for. You stand up or sit down as is  correct and you always looked an adult in the eye when spoken to.
    Those are hard habits to break when you get older.
    When I let down that wall I am vulnerable. And those I let it down for always feel closer to me and me to them. I have never ever felt that someone was disappointing in knowing the real me. I have good friends and family.
    I have been burned a few times letting down that facade. Oh well that is the breaks and we move on.
    One of my favorite facades is always looking good when I go out. If you look good with a bounce in your step, you are treated good. Even though you feel like crap underneath. A good thing.

Yes I have had times when I was not feeling well, but I convinced myself that I would do a great show, and I pulled it off...often times even looking like the cat's meow being dressed up in the process...

5. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 8 years ago

The facades we put on are generally so automatic that we hardly notice them consciously.   These are a sort of 'role play' we adopt to deal with a situation, circumstance or environment to protect what we THINK to be ourselves, our very vulnerable and fearful self-image.   We become so used to it that we believe we are it.

When challenged, our self-image immediately feels its fear.  It normally responds or reacts automatically to protect itself, even down to "having the last word," in an argument about nothing of real importance.   The self-image is mind-made (your own mind)  Once you discover, even for a moment, that you and your mind are not one and the same thing, you never fully go back to that erroneous belief, "I think, therefore I am."

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting. I never heard an argument against Descartes put quite that way. You are saying the mind is part of us but not who we are? Non est ergo sum just does not have the same ring to it.

2. Tusitala Tom profile image66
      Tusitala Tomposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am saying, as Roberto Assagioli said in his book, An Act of Will, we are centers of consciousness with a will, and that although we have physical bodies, thoughts, and emotions, we are not these - they belong to us. in life.  We ARE Life

6. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12897918_f260.jpg

I believe most people approach new people with the idea of not revealing too much of themselves early on.
    Therefore they tend to guard their true thoughts and feelings until they trust or feel comfortable around them.
    There are instances where people look to "impress" each other.
    Some people cultivate images of themselves they wish were true!
    Many motivational speakers and life coaches advocate the "Fake it until you make it" technique as a way for gradually creating change in one's life. This is designed to boost one's own self confidence.
    "Act successful and people will treat you like you're successful."
    Nevertheless no one advocates overtly lying. Just look the part.
    Naturally if someone discovers the substance isn't there (yet) to match "the image" of the individual we slam them for it.

7. profile image0
    Diana Abrahamsonposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12898237_f260.jpg

With social media people portray mostly the best of themselves. You can only learn about the other person if you get to know them face to face.
    We all have flaws and are not perfect either.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)