Why would anyone post a question in Religion and Philosophy and then delete oppo

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

Why would anyone post a question in Religion and Philosophy and then delete opposed responses?

There was a question asked in this category. The question had a lengthy "additional details". If the answers or comments went against the bent of the details they were deleted. Do some people just ask questions to get others to agree with them? Would that make you feel better about yourself?

2. lawrence01 profile image64
    lawrence01posted 8 years ago

Eric
    I learned right at the beginning here to be careful answering questions as some do ask only to either get comments they agree with or so that they can 'blast' those who disagree!
    Having said that most folks are asking questions genuinely wanting people's opinions regardless of whether they agree with the opinion or not, they tend to be good discussions and both sides learn something. That's my experience here.
    Lawrence

Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Lawrence -- that is very insightful.

3. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

maybe the truth hurts. Maybe they want only responses which suits them.

That appears to be part of the truth. I would love to hear from someone who does it.

2. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

MOST Hubbers "delete" my responses as they did (do) JESUS'!  TRUTH is against what MOST have been "taught," & they wish to remain "complacent" rather than "Search WORD" for TRUTH & "GROW" as WORD says we should (II Cor 3:18)!

4. Oztinato profile image75
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

Because of hypocrisy.
      For example such people claim that free speech is sacred but immediately delete opposing views. I have said for years that new atheism dulls the ethical senses and can even delete ethics from a person's mind. The problem is caused by a decoupling from the evolution of ethics via religions to a "new" concocted view that is half baked. This is further proof of the dulling of ethics for how can those who hold the Principle of Evolution reject it solely in regards to ethics? Hypocrisy gone wild.

1. lawrence01 profile image64
      lawrence01posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oz
      I think there are those in both groups! My first experience was with folks who say they're Christian! but because I took a different view of the council of Nicea I got hammered by others who agreed with the questioner!

2. Ericdierker profile image45

Isn't it odd we just accept as normal. "the statement made by the question". Many of these are not questions at all. So there is a knee jerk -"you did not answer the question". This is very interesting.

3. Oztinato profile image75
      Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lawrence
      yes there are certain religious people who practice hypocrisy too. It's very rare to see even an intolerant religious person hammering daily at intolerance towards a particular group. I refer to a scary obsession by some against religion.

4. Ericdierker profile image45

Interesting view which I believe has some merit. As with all groups there are the outliers.

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years ago

Why does anyone delete comments?  Because they don't agree with you and you only want people to confirm your opinions.  HubPages is full of writers who do this.  I don't think they realize this is a community, and the point of writing here is to share ideas.  What those writers actually need is a bulletin board on which to post their announcements.

Really well said Kathleen. Thank you for that. Yes I suppose a bulletin board would be more appropriate for some. Perhaps they could write hubs and leave out the comment section which I have seen.

2. savvydating profile image89
      savvydatingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, K. Did you not delete my answer about Trump on your forum recently---because you disagreed?

3. Ericdierker profile image45

Well I am guilty of this also. There is one commentator that resorts to calling people rather harsh names like Satan or Demon. That is over the top for me so I delete those. I don't report just delete. That has to be some limit of civility.

4. savvydating profile image89

I didn't call anyone names, Eric. I don't do that. My response was simply different than hers. I stated that Trump has followers who identify as Democrat and Independent (though many of them have never voted before.) Any news show will verify that.

5. jlpark profile image78
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Savvy - that wouldn't have been you. We aren't allowed to name names, but just by the mention of being called Satan, we know who he meant - definately not you!

6. savvydating profile image89

Thanks, Jacqui, for the clarification. I was'nt sure what Eric was talking about in this instance.

7. profile image52

It's me!  If JESUS calls one SATAN (Matt 16:23) & we are to "follow in His footsteps," NOT calling one SATAN who goes against HIS WORD is Satanic!
      MOST have "itching ears," (2 Tim 4:3) & when against "teachings," delete!

6. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

Some people can't handle the truth.  Others are just intolerant to ideas different than their own.

7. savvydating profile image89
    savvydatingposted 8 years ago

Personally, I do not delete any responses as a matter of course merely because I disagree with someone else's opinion. I've probably deleted 2 responses in Q & A in my four years on HP. However, I have had to delete a number of comments on one of my hubs because some men (from the outside) were posting vulgar comments about females.

Some here regularly delete responses because they are not open-minded enough to hear an opposing view. Thus, they limit the speech of others. Opposing views apparently make them very angry. Consequently, they ask a question, not to have healthy debate and learn something new, but merely to have a space in which they can invite like-minded individuals to agree with them, usually about so-called "less intelligent people who are religious." Furthermore, they usually ask the same 2 or 3 question over and over again, using different words. I would think they'd get bored, but apparently not.

Excellent response. You make very valid points. Thank you

8. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

Some people ask the question to get a feel of the group's opinion.
    Others ask it to try to convert others.

I certainly get both the worthy reasons.

9. jlpark profile image78
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

I've only ever deleted comments from one person and they were being abusive, harassing and generally taking over the question as their own personal pulpit. Won't name names but it did take me a while to get to that point.

But, I've seen the 'warnings' on some, and used one or two myself - And for a very good reason.

Often in the Religion and Philosophy section, certain people who disagree with the premise of the question or the answers given will comment over and over on all anwers - trying to force their views on others. They distract from the question at hand and downright annoying because people get into arguments with them and it sidetracks into something else.

Would I delete if I disagreed? No. People are entitled to their opinion, but others are also entitled to have theirs respected too - rather than being told they are the devil, or evil or having numerous verses thrust on them or their answers by someone who disagrees and insists that all should be believe their way or else.

This goes for religious and non alike.

The other thing is that sometimes people forget that the R + P section contains other religions and also philosophy - so get worked up that someone has a different thought on someone that is different from their particular God/s.

The warnings I've used are usually to set the standard for behaviour - your opinions are welcome to differ from mine but no name calling or degrading others opinions (eg 'no, that's just stupid' - you can disagree and throw proof of why around but no degrading it just cause you think it's wrong )

I think I shall delete this response under the category of too reasonable ;-} You make excellent points and especially about the co-opting and cramming of scripture. Both of those are really unpleasant and yet we still tolerate to a great degree.

2. jlpark profile image78

Hehe. Thanks Eric. I ran with this answer a bit, and ended up with a hub on the art of respect and calmness - as I realised I could put my way of managing conflict into words after writing this one. Thanks!

10. Electro-Denizen profile image79
    Electro-Denizenposted 8 years ago

Looks like they should have written a hub instead of a question...

Anyway, we humans are actually not interested at all in learning anything new, we just want others to corroborate what we think and feel. Always. Changes only happen internally, by increments, and then we find a new gang to hang out with who think what we think.

Perhaps questions under Religion and Philosophy should be removed as it always become a tedious soap box, without any possibility of exchanging ideas properly.

11. profile image0
    ValKarasposted 8 years ago

In this single answer  -  which I will NOT "defend" with any additional comments, here is my little history of "deleting".

Privately I don't consider myself to be an atheist, since I have my own concept of what others call "god"  -  but every religionist alive with call me that simply because I don't follow THEIR faith.

I came up with some dozen or so questions about religion, being curious about the logical background of believing  -  hoping that answers would be smarter than "I believe because my holy book says so".

It didn't take long to see how out of a total lack of a logical answer I was targeted for "having audacity" to ask. In a silly game of masking ignorance, it was me who became "significant" in my questions  -  so, for my curiosity I was named "Satan", "hypocrite", "ignorant", and by those more diplomatic by nature "someone pretending to have a superior intelligence".

Right there it all became a farce, as these "love promoting" characters had in their agenda to disqualify my questions and me, rather than tell me what I asked  -  a rationality behind religious belief. That's all I wanted, not a lengthy kicking the crap back and forth ad nauseam, outsmarting each other, and all the other ego-crap. Instead, it was MY ego that got itself under the spotlight. BY QUESTIONING RELIGION I WAS "ATTACKING" IT.
    Bravo, what a brilliant response.

At one point, even my background of being born in a communist country somehow needed to be mentioned as an "argument" against my questions. I guess it's beyond the author's intelligence to figure out how not everybody having lived under oppression of communistic dictatorship (and emigrated from it) is a "communist follower". But that kind of intelligence would have been too much to expect.

Well, at one point of disappointment with all that   -   I just chose to delete all my questions having anything to do with religion. Ladies and gentlemen of faith, Jesus would have been proud of you.

I can promise you one thing  -  you have successfully got rid of all my challenging questions, answers, and comments. Amen, do I hear bells of rejoicing?

1. Electro-Denizen profile image79
      Electro-Denizenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

To be honest Hubpages seems mostly used by US citizens, and caters more for US tastes rather than British, Australian or other English speaking places in the world. A large percentage of US citizens identify as Christian... so that'll happen...

2. Ericdierker profile image45

A most interesting defense of honor. Perhaps even I was to hard on Vladimir. I wonder how many people really do not know when they insult a Christian by the back up to a question. This response makes me think it is total ignorance of other's feelings

3. lawrence01 profile image64
      lawrence01posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would have liked the chance to answer some of them, we may not have agreed my answers were 'sufficient' but at least we'd both learn something!
      Then again I've hardly ever asked a question here

4. jlpark profile image78

Vlad - sorry that's what happened. Unfortunately in these topics, you either get that or the OTT like a certain hubber. Electro is right - I'm not from the US either. Disagreement doesn't mean disrespect but some will always see it that way unfort.

5. profile image52

"..being curious about the logical background of believing.." 
      PLEASE furnish a book written before Bible w/as many "accurate" fulfilled prophecies!  If not, there's your "logic" for "believing!"

12. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

Thanks for asking this question, Eric. Some people use the Q&A section as their own "soapbox or sounding board" and will delete any opposing response. This type of person likes the Q&A simply for that reason, that they can delete any comment they choose to. They fear the forums, for they have no control over the thread or the people who respond. Very good question, Eric.

Phyllis I do not like all the answers here. Good for me. My problem. But I learn something from each one. I think about my children disagreeing with me. Thank goodness I always let them in good spirits. They add to my life.

13. Roman Temkin profile image41
    Roman Temkinposted 8 years ago

Thanks for asking this. I thought the same too, and I found it ignorant and disrespectful. Internet is not for the weak-hearted, especially on thought-provoking forums like this.

Thank you for your point of view. I am sure it is  shared by many.

2. profile image52

TRUE Roman!  Yet one hubber recently deleted my response & said she was "a prophet" from GOD?  My goodness!  If a prophet of GOD, one stands "Boldly," on HIS WORD!  Deleting indicates not BOLD in HIM!

14. Projectlazy profile image87
    Projectlazyposted 8 years ago

Not for the opinion but if the person is being a jerk about then maybe

15. WordCrafter09 profile image65
    WordCrafter09posted 8 years ago

Some people think "Answers" is supposed to involve a discussion.  Apparently, others only want answers that answer the question "as is".  I haven't looked at anything by HP in a long time (with regard to "Answers"), but maybe they could be a little more clear about which of those approaches they expect people to take on "Answers".  From all I've ever seen, the original purpose of "Answers" was supposed to be encourage people to "make a Hub about it".

There have been times, too, when people post questions on here, get the answer they were looking for, and the post that answer on some other site..  (Call me suspicious, but I've seen that more than once.) 

I've never bothered with asking questions.  I go looking for questions if I'm bored.  I figure, if someone deletes it I can then post it somewhere else (or several other somewhere else's if it's allowed and if I want to).

When all is said and done, I still think the person who offers a half-decent, thoughtful, reply in "Answers" should be the one to see any pennies from it, and I'd like to half-decent answers published as mini-Hubs (and maybe clumped together as such).

Of course, one way to eliminate someone's chance of deleting your answer is to write a Hub on it.  I do think HP could be a little more clear about whether people are supposed to offer their own, less automatic-robot-like reply to just the question and its premise as it is; or whether, if someone disagrees with (even partially) the question or its premise they're supposed to just ignore the question altogether. That, I'd think, might be one way to discourage some types of questions as well.

I suppose it wouldn't kill me to think up a few questions just to see how it all works on the "question end" of things.  When there were subdomains I didn't want any part of asking questions because I didn't want any potentially iffy links tied in with my subdomain.  (Of course, at some point after I hacked them up my subdomains became pretty iffy, themselves.  lol

Thanks that is an interesting take. I asked this one because I wanted answers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)