Black men are seven times more likely to be killed by police than white men. Bel

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (37 posts)
  1. vveasey profile image69
    vveaseyposted 7 years ago

Black men are seven times more likely to be killed by police than white men. Believe or disbelieve?

Black men accounted for 40 percent of the 60 unarmed deaths, by police, this year, even though they make up just 6 percent of the U.S. population.(Washington Post database of fatal police shootings)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13173359_f260.jpg

2. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 7 years ago

Like many others, I do believe that black men are more likely to be killed by police yet I cannot agree on a percentage. There is a fear, dehumanization, and bias against many black men, even those who have done nothing to warrant this. I hope one day that more people can talk about this without resorting to insults and false statistics to actually bring about change.
    Humans come in all shades and just as there is good, bad, and ugly in every shade, the reality is that the majority of humans simply want to have basic respect and have their rights respected as well. Some of the horror stories uncovered by the feds in  Baltimore and other cities should have never occurred.

3. profile image54
    peter565posted 7 years ago

Cops are suppose to be the protectors of the people, unfortunetly, in reality, most people who join the police force are not very well educated, most join the police force because they are too dumb to get into college. A further problem is that cops only receive one year of training, which is only on a community college level of education on policing. In addition policing is about more then just knowing how to be a good detective, there are much more. In some small country town, that only have one sheriff, chances are, the sheriff is not even qualify for the job.

What we need is to find a way to increase the standard of people who join the police force, by encouraging people of higher standard to join the police force, I have always said, to increase the basic standard of cops to university standard, but the catch is a 4 years college graduate cop take much more money to train, so, after they complete their training, they must stay on the force, for at least 10 years. People who are better train and better educated, are less likely to be prejudice and that also apply to cops.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree the police need better training and uniformity, but the blacks and other gangs need to be stopped. It is like the high speed police chases here in Ca, there should be a better, safer way. The car and body cams of the police should help.

4. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

What an interesting rough statistic. Not that I would trust the WP even as far as to use it to wipe. But I think we don't care about the exact percentages and numbers -- that may sound callous to those suffering loss in that each statistic is a person. As is said kill two and it is a tragedy, kill one thousand and it is a statistic.
    I just cannot grasp the fact that we lose little black babies to the environment where this statistic is coming from. My coaching, my mentoring and my youth preaching confirms to me that each child is sacred and deserving of our best efforts of loving them. But we fail when it comes to this class or group of young people. Somehow when the choice is given them they choose a life destined for wreckage. (yes I am fully aware that a handful of these deaths a year are middle aged hard working black men supporting and loving a family - but that is by far the exception)
    Somehow our society is failing in the upbringing and morals of the two groups involved in these killings. For sure we must pray equally for the jerk idiot bigoted cop and the kid in a gang. They both have been lead astray by the dregs of society.
    I worked a private patrol beat once in a place called Oceanside California. It was ranked way up there for a town it's size for gangs and gang activity. It was one tough place after 10pm. Filipino, Blacks, Mexicans, and Samoans. And there was no dearth of guns. After awhile, while you still had to be cognizant of the races, it was just natural you would stop identifying with the race and more with the particular area and gang affiliation -- separated more my particular different criminal enterprises than by race -- except to the gangs. I hate to admit it but in that area there just was not much time to figure if the dude was armed or not. And I am not sure just why but Filipinos and Samoans dealt more with knives than guns. Mexicans and Blacks seemed a little more likely to be carrying. And the whites were basically loose cannons.
    I just cannot see a more common denominator than bad government programs deepening the despair foisted upon these young men. What came first, the drugs, the social dependency, the lack of hope and promise. or the race? We could all just as easily be born into any of these factors.
    Accepting that there are high profile exceptions, I do not think the statistics reveal that the black people are killed because they are black. Unless you say that because they are black they are born into it.

1. vveasey profile image69
      vveaseyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eric you say, "I do not think the statistics reveal that the black people are killed because they are black." Then why do you think these "unarmed" black men are killed and at a higher rate than white men?

2. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

VVeasey that is really the crux question. What percentage of gangs are blacks? Probably as reliable as the WP but the best we have: https://www.nationalgangcenter.gov/surv … mographics
      That would account for it.

3. vveasey profile image69
      vveaseyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What has gangs to with the cops shooting and killing "unarmed" black men?

4. Ericdierker profile image46

If the majority of Blacks (I think that should be capitalized) that cops come into contact with on the streets are gang members and I suspect they are, then you would be a stupid dead cop if you approached that demographic without caution. Stats.

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Eric
      Well said. And not just blacks but anyone in the presence of the law can be killed by the police. They are just not press worthy. People confuse the press focus with the real events. Gangs as you say do make police on edge, now they kill cops.

bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13157868_f260.jpg

There are over 2 million people in US prisons and jails, and Blacks make up a third of them. Hispanics about another third.
    Both of these minorities have serious gang ties. Their gang killings all the time, especially in urban, and ghetto areas. Maybe if the politicians actually got a handle on the war on drugs, and gangs the blacks wouldn't be in so many of the police incidents. It is not like the police weren't confronting these blacks while doing their job.

Do the blacks want to be immune from being pursued while committing crimes? Maybe the black community might take some blame for not being able to raise black children into law abiding black adults.

Blacks have had almost 50 years to infuse themselves into the political arena where they can change their persona, and be able to control some of their community including the police force, and the city council.

It is pathetic and ironic, that the black race issue has once again peaked, but this time during the two terms of a black president. Obama has further divided the US by race, while he had a chance to unify them.

1. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image59
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How can Obama further divide the US by race, while he had a chance to unify them,& still have nearly all the blacks supporting him(& the Democrat party)?The Dems have only hurt blacks with their policies for decades.What is it with them?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

DTMB
      You don't bite the hand that feeds you, BO and Dem party. But, the racial tension and riots went up rapidly during his reign. Dems are only interested in power, who vote for them. Blacks don't realize they are making them indentured servants

3. Ericdierker profile image46

Sadly it reverts back to our systems. Schools and abundant welfare. That is where we are condemning the Black people. They have grown accustomed to buying the crap on TV, and that further condemns them.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Eric
      That is why I wrote the ? on Blacks, minorities being indentured servants of the democrat party. Much like Pavlov's dogs, when a democrat is running they salivate.

5. Ericdierker profile image46

Brad, I do not feel guilty about slavery, or lynchings or segregation or lack of Civil Rights. Not my generation, not even my father's sin and my grandpa had not a bigoted bone in his body. But now I pay taxes. Money used to enslave today. My bad.

6. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

According to the Department of Justice, the offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than that of whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher (where black on black crime is ten times the rate of white on white crime).
    When a group commits several times more crimes than the majority (white) population, it is going to have several times more encounters with cops.
    That said, when armed blacks are confronted by cops, they are LESS likely to be shot than a similarly armed white. That proves cops are not going out of their way to shoot blacks, but actually restrained because of the person's race.
    The issue seems worse than it is because blacks killed by a cop generate infinitely more news coverage and outrage than whites killed by cops OR blacks killed by other blacks.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Sounds reasonable to me.

2. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image59

Yes reasonable,so why is it people use(or make up)information like what this Q&A is about to promote hatred of cops?Could it be they're unreasonable?Or is it "Reds Exploiting Blacks" (Google it)

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

DTMB
      Don't you have to give credit to the multitudes of blacks that are in gangs, and commit crimes. They also seem to be in the eye of the law, not by profiling but being in those criminal like settings. some may be victims but they are exceptions

4. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image59

They are all suckers if they subscribe to BLM, just like the rest, being used by the "reds" to achieve their ends and nothing else. SUCKERS

DTMB
      I totally agree, they are being played.

6. MichaelMcNabb profile image59
      MichaelMcNabbposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Blacks have the robbery gene.

7. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Anti-Christ! 

JESUS SAID "There is neither Jew nor Greek "IN" Christ Jesus" (Gal3:28) which leaves you guys "demons" aka Anti-Christ!

7. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image59
    Dont Taze Me Broposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13176066_f260.jpg

Did you know?

Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops. This is according to FBI data, which also found that 40 percent of cop killers are black. The police officer is
    18.5 times
    more likely to be killed by a black than a cop killing an unarmed black person.

Despite the facts, the anti-police rhetoric of Black Lives Matter and their leftist sympathizers have resulted in what is called the "Ferguson Effect," as murders have spiked by 17 percent among the 50 biggest cities in the U.S. as a result of cops being more reluctant to police neighborhoods out of fear of being labeled as racists. Additionally, there have been over twice as many cops victimized by fatal shootings in the first three months of 2016.

Did you know? blacks "commit 75 percent of all shootings, 70 percent of all robberies, and 66 percent of all violent crime" in New York City, even though they consist of 23 percent of the city's population. The black violent crime rate would actually predict that more than 26 percent of police victims would be black. Officer use of force will occur where the police interact most often with violent criminals, armed suspects, and those resisting arrest, and that is in black neighborhoods.

Did you know? More whites and Hispanics die from police homicides than blacks. 12 percent of white and Hispanic homicide deaths were due to police officers, while only four percent of black homicide deaths were the result of police officers.

If we’re going to have a 'Lives Matter' anti-police movement, it would be more appropriately named "White and Hispanic Lives Matter.

Did you know? Black and Hispanic police officers are more likely to fire a gun at blacks than white officers. This is according to a Department of Justice report in 2015 about the Philadelphia Police Department, and is further confirmed that by a study conducted University of Pennsylvania criminologist Greg Ridgeway in 2015 that determined black cops were 3.3 times more likely to fire a gun than other cops at a crime scene.

Anti-police rhetoric has deadly consequences. Does anyone care? BLM doesn't, that we know and we know why: http://www.aim.org/special-report/reds- … es-matter/
    ;

1. MichaelMcNabb profile image59
      MichaelMcNabbposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Excellent I only wish I had read your post before posting my own.  The statistics are alarming and prove the black lives movement is a fallacy at best.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

DTMB
      Stop using facts, it messes up the comments. lol

3. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image59

lol Ain't that the truth Brad, when dealing with people who believe the lie that truth is relative, then there are no facts or else everyone has their own facts and that is ludicrous...to any realistic observer.

8. MichaelMcNabb profile image59
    MichaelMcNabbposted 7 years ago

If you want to stick to statistics, a black man is over ten times more likely to rob you than a white man.  That is according to real world statistics published by the FBI.  So it makes sense they are more likely to get shot.  Furthermore for every black man who gets shot by police in the USA there are two white men who get shot.  So to sum it up black people cause more crime and yet twice as many white people get shot by police.  White lives matter anybody?  No, because we don't whine about it when a person deserves what they get.

9. Glenis Rix profile image95
    Glenis Rixposted 7 years ago

Believe. But in the UK policemen (and members of the public) don't normally carry guns, so it's not an issue here.

1. profile image51

Amen!

10. emge profile image80
    emgeposted 7 years ago

I agree and the statistics bear this out, but there is a big IF. This concerns the mental and physical state of the black, who for social economic conditions is more prone to crime. I understand blacks raping white women is a lot more than vice versa. I don't justify killing of blacks by police but the fact they indulge in more crime and rapes is undisputable.

11. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 7 years ago

You all forgot one thing:  Society created 'this monster' (4th class citizen mentality of Blacks) and will suffer the consequences!

Now let's discuss how we got here from what I've experienced 'personally' in my 67 years as a Black woman!  Society uses the media to continuously reinforce Blacks are less. It places minimal educational materials in minority neighborhoods designed to affect when applying for jobs! Hopelessness arises when unemployment rises. They turn to 'drugs' as a means to support families.  It eventually lands them in prison.  Once out, there's an X on their backs which creates a lesser chance of obtaining employment.  Meanwhile, their children are being raised by a single mom who has no other alternative but to turn to 'the system' for assistance. With father in jail, it's less likely that the child will succeed which makes for a never ending 'cycle!'

Therefore, "Black men are seven times more likely to be killed by police than white men" because they want the same thing any other race wants "To provide for family" but 'the system' has been "designed" for failure creating the perception that Black men are violent when they only want to "provide" and by doing so; society has not given them very much of a choice!  Proverbs 6:30 "Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry."

SOCIETY has 'created this monster' and is the "guilty" party!  Leviticus 6:2-7 "If a soul sin, and commit a trespass against the LORD, and LIE UNTO HIS NEIGHBOR in that which was delivered to him KEEP, or in fellowship, or in a thing taken away by violence, or HATH DECEIVED HIS NEIGHBOR, Or have found that which was lost, and LIETH CONCERNING IT, and SWEARETH FALSELY; in ANY OF ALL THESE THAT MAN DOETH, SINNING THEREIN, Then it shall be, because he hath sinned, and is "guilty," that he should restore that which he took VIOLENTLY away, or the thing which HE HATH DECEITFULLY GOTTEN, or that which was delivered to him KEEP, or the lost thing which he found, Or all that about which he hath SWORN FALSELY, he shall even restore it in the principal, and SHALL ADD     
    THE 'FIFTH' PART MORE THERETO, and give in unto him to who it appertaineth, in the day of his trespass offering.  And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the LORD, a ram without blemish out of the flock,  with thy estimation, for a trespass offering, unto the priest: And the priest shall make an atonement for him before the LORD: and it shall be forgiven."

Until then?

1. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
      wrenchBiscuitposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Truth and strong words, but  the racist's don't care about the big picture, or cause and effect. Plus most are uneducated; spiritually or otherwise. Their Ozzie and Harriet world is coming  to an end, and I am laughing out loud. Listen to them whine.

2. profile image51

Ronnie, you know I'm "New Covenant" & didn't know this was in Scripture!  I get TIRED of telling ppl GOD REVEALS (aka "leads & guides")!
      According to Lev6, until they rectify their actions; they are NOT "IN" Christ!

3. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image59

"Society uses the media..." ?Sorry honey but it's the msm that uses society,manipulates&forms societal opinion,not society manipulating the media.If it was society using the media the media wouldn't be 90% liberal, a societal minority.

4. profile image51

I tell TRUTH which is ALWAYS "a hard pill to swallow!" 
      It's OK cuz as WB said there is "cause & effect" so don't "whine!"
      In this life or the life to come!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)