When ur daughter got married and take another man's last name, how that make u f

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image54
    peter565posted 7 years ago

When ur daughter got married and take another man's last name, how that make u feel?

Growing up in Asia, I don't think I will ever get use to how in the west, women take husband's last name and I don't think I will ever be OK, of having a daughter who take another man's last name after marriage. I image saying "I'm OK with u dating white guy, only if u keep ur last name after marriage and his family is OK with it." I will be furious if she adopt another man's last man's after marriage. I waste 18 years raising her, just so she can, replace it with some other dud's last name? This daughter is dead to me, don't even want her to coming to my funeral.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13258224_f260.jpg

2. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

So what is offended?   If it's an idea in your mind (Some people call it a belief) then you're just causing yourself grief.  You're responsible for your thought and its attendant emotions, no one else.

there's this thing called the 'self image' (yes, it's an image, an imaginary concept) that feels it can gain or 'lose face.'    It's the part of you that causes all your pain.

So 'loosen up'. a name change is a name change.  Only egos are offended.

3. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

I didn't change my last name when I got married because my dad died when I was a teenager and it was important for me to keep his last name. 

That said, I think you're being pretty over dramatic.  Your daughter is not your "property" and she is free to do what she'd like with her name.  To some women it's important that they have the same last name as their children, who will likely have taken her husband's last name.  And some women just like the tradition. 

If you're willing to throw your daughter to the curb just because she doesn't want to keep your name once she's married then I suggest you don't have children.  You seem to think they owe you specific things after 18 years and that's not how it works.  If you've done it right then they will love you and respect you, but that doesn't mean you get hold rules over their heads and threaten to disown them if they don't follow.  Wouldn't you want to have raised a daughter who is independent enough to make her own decisions?  Who can stick up for what she wants instead of doing what she's told?  Again, if the answer is no then please don't have kids.

1. Tusitala Tom profile image65
      Tusitala Tomposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Aime.   Unfortunately there are still huge numbers of people who think their children are their property rather than 'souls placed in trust' until they can go out into the world on their own.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

Hopefully you would love your daughter regardless of what last name she chooses to go by.
    There are far worse things parents have to deal with!
    Having said that people tend to follow their culture and traditions.
    If you do have a daughter and she is raised where you were odds are she'll maintain what is considered traditional in her culture.

5. Terrielynn1 profile image86
    Terrielynn1posted 7 years ago

I took my husbands last name. It had nothing to do with disrespect for my parents. I did it out of love and respect for my spouse. It depends on your reasons and what you believe. Please don't disown her because of a name. She loves him and that should show you he wants her to have his name. You are judging her too harshly. There is too much going on in the world to walk away from family over this.

1. profile image54
      peter565posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I can understand in the western women taking husband's last name because in pre modern western culture they believe wife is husband's property (lucky it ain't mainstream value anymore), but if she is not from a western background, there is no excuse

2. Terrielynn1 profile image86
      Terrielynn1posted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, everyone in my family took our husbands name. Nothing to do with property. We are partners and equals. I have friends who kept their name and that was more confusing Even caused problems when getting passports or travelling out of the country.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)