Is this palatable to most Christians? Pope: I'll judge Trump after we see what h

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

Is this palatable to most Christians?
    Pope: I'll judge Trump after we see what he does.

Perhaps I read this quote out of context but could find no Vatican context to put it in. I am a great proponent that we all use judgment every day and prohibitions don't mean the day to day judgment.
    But there is no question here, the Pope is talking full judgment. His judgement as the successor to Simon Peter. The Pope did not even do that with Hitler or Mussolini. We love this Pope but he has seriously stumbled in the are of vainglory. He should repent.
    Or do you think it is justified to treat a US president worse than Stalin and Pol Pot? This Pope has major Catechism issues.

2. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

The Pope is wrong to judge a President who has not had time to do much other than not be liberal as evil when ignoring North Korean death camps where they send 3 generations of a family for crimes against the state, Cuba jailing librarians for sharing books contrary to political correctness, barely criticizing Muslim fundamentalist groups taking Yazidi and Christian sex slaves in Iraq & Syria or simply Christian ones in Nigeria (Boko Haram).
    This is a classic case of liberal secularists seeing political conservatives and conservative Christians as a boogeyman threat of a Christian theocratic state while ignoring the oppression of Christians and secular Muslims from Iran to Saudi Arabia to ISIS to Boko Haram to ... the list goes on.
    And given the Pope's "global warming is our biggest threat" encyclical vs fundamentalist Muslims threatening to destroy the Vatican while they rape European women with impunity and desecrate churches across Europe, yes, he has the wrong priorities, liberal political ones.

Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Tamara I take a different position in this matter. I really, for this notion, do not give a pebble of sand what someone does of does not do. A Christian must never make love conditional. Judgment based on a condition is wrong. Departure from Christ.

2. tamarawilhite profile image86
      tamarawilhiteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Christians are morally obligated to call out evil, and you can condemn an action while loving the person. Otherwise you can't condemn rape and murder, much less punish, leading to more evil acts.

3. Ericdierker profile image46

Right on Tamara -- but the Pope was clear he was going to judge the man not his deeds.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

If people haven't seen already who Trump is by his actions, his words, his personality, they haven't been paying attention.  He is not suddenly going to become a different person.  He has shown himself.  People want to think their "vote against someone" rather than a "vote for someone" has no consequences. It does.  And we are now going to live out those consequences.  Neither candidate was flawless.  But one was seriously unqualified and now he is president.

Two interesting points Kathleen. The Pope gets to "Judge" as a person. And the qualifications for POTUS requires precedent political position.
      I do not do not think the pope gets to talk of his personal. And I think in some ways prior position hurts

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I see your point.  It was only about 50 years ago the Vatican took a great deal of heat for staying silent during the rise of Hitler and the subsequent Holocaust.  I'm torn between a religious leader imposing himself into politics or not.

That conundrum is really interesting. What did Shakespeare say about love? if we look at what Jesus said about the coin with Caesar's likeness we must pause. Maybe Mother Theresa is the value to strive toward. Normally we pray for our leaders?

4. galleryofgrace profile image70
    galleryofgraceposted 7 years ago

Perhaps he  just used the wrong word. Rather than "judge" he should have said that he would "form" an opinion after he sees what Trump does. We are all entitled to form an opinion.The word "judge" seems to ruffle everyone's feathers.

I am a champion that we all judge. Driving a car, temperature of water, stepping off a curb. But the Holy See speaks of judgment - wrong word or political word it is very scary. Putin affected the election bad -- the Holy See affects it OK?

2. faith-hope-love profile image70
      faith-hope-loveposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The Holy See did not try to have any affect on the election. Some bishops asked that people exercise their vote with care. None of them tried to push one or other of Candidates,  We did watch with interest.

John we attend a Roman Catholic church through communion of the Saints of Episcopals. We attend the oldest Basilica in the US. My home follows such matters carefully. I do not falter in truth as to what was said. No one supports our Pope in statement

5. Old-Empresario profile image72
    Old-Empresarioposted 7 years ago

Seems reasonable to me. Judge people by their actions rather than their words.

A valid point but us Christians are really not to judge others righteousness or their morality. Judging if he dresses right or if they drive too fast is normal and fine. But clearly that is not what the Holy See is talking about. Character?

6. faith-hope-love profile image70
    faith-hope-loveposted 7 years ago

I have never liked Trump. But like the "Pope" I will judge him as "president" when I see what He does. I believe this should apply to all people.
    Tamara the "Pope" has refused to judge "Trump" till he finds out what he will do.  Before making an answer to question maybe read it twice.

John you are saying what the Pope did not say. The quote is in the question. He did not modify it with "president". Are you saying the Pope gets to do the capital "Judge" on anyone? Liking these two is irrelevant.

2. faith-hope-love profile image70
      faith-hope-loveposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, Eric, and neither is he.  When interviewed the Pope was asked what he thought about Trump.  His answer was " he would wait and see what his actions were before he would make any judgement. He did not say he'd condemn him or anyone in agreement.

No Theresa that was not the question the See was asked what the See thought about Trump. I am on my third year of Catechism and I am certain what the See said and it is not in keeping with not judging. I am adamant about this. It is not a slip.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)