Is the concept of love in adversity lost. Do you just hate me for my beliefs?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

Is the concept of love in adversity lost. Do you just hate me for my beliefs?

Just an idea. It seems that even our best minds throw out their opinions and then choose not to discuss them. Do not put something on social media and then refuse connection  and the opportunity to share your love. Do not state an opinion and then say you are above discussing it. You are not loving if you state something that is controversial and then deny conversation. Be a man like your father.
    Engage or shut up.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

I don't think refusing to discuss something has anything to do with love. One can love from afar but realize that debate with some is a lost cause.

For me, it is simply the lack of skill and the continuous presentation of fallacies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

It's impossible to debate with someone who presents fiction as if it were fact. I am so tired of circular arguments, ad hominem attacks, anecdotal stories, false authority, and more. In order to show the hole in the 'proof,' I would then have to spend a couple of weeks just educating someone what is evidence and what is not. I just don't have the time and energy for that.

You say, "You are not loving if you state something that is controversial and then deny conversation."

I would have to take that statement with a pinch of salt. When I say something like "There is no evidence of a God," it really depends on which country one is in whether that is a controversial statement. In America it would be. In the rest of the first world, it's taken for granted.

There is also the fact that everybody is entitled to say what they like within reason (no hate speech), but there is no law that says that other people have to respond to them or communciate with them. As much as there is there is a right to freedom of speech, there is also a right to freedom of association.

1. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

not only that, most people will deny your right to feel the way you do. its not debate they are interested in, but a chance to malign you for your views...sincere, honest curiosity is never the motive. its clear in the way questions are framed.

2. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tessa, I really did throw this out there to get other opinions. I like your answer. It seems we may be furthest apart on the notion of sparking a fire and then hiding. Certainly we have the right to it. I always think that is a cop out.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image61
      TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eric, most of the questions on Hubpages are asked in such a way as to prevent a rational answer. Perhaps you might give an example of a controversial question.

4. Ericdierker profile image46

Sure Tess, as close to your example as I can. "Since there is no evidence of God you wouldn't you have to be stupid to believe in God?
      Note the loading on both ends. A slight insult. And an attack on faith based existence.

5. TessSchlesinger profile image61

Eric, you said "A slight insult. And an attack on faith based existence." How is "There is no evidence for God' a slight insult. It's a fact. There is no evidence. Remember what I said about having to teach people what evidence is?

6. Ericdierker profile image46

Tess I am fully familiar with the FRE & and our state's CEC. But this is not about evidence of God. We are showing though, through that example that we can debate without rancor. By the way, how many senses do you think we have?

7. TessSchlesinger profile image61

I am sorry. You misunderstand something here. I am not debating. And I am going to leave it here. How many senses people have has nothing to do with the OP. Off topic. Nor did your response even begin to make sense. That's why people like me opt out.

8. Ericdierker profile image46

Good for you.

3. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 7 years ago

Eric!  Is that you? How many times have you refused to continue discussion, delete or not "Be a man like your father" by "stating an opinion and saying [or showing] you are above discussion?"  Thank God!  He is working in your life!

LISTEN Eric!  I "usually" discuss the Word of God on HP and in doing so there's NOTHING that should be done "IN THE FLESH" (Romans 8:8) especially "thinking" (Proverbs 3:5) WITHOUT using the Word of God!  Being an educated man, I realize how "the flesh" intervenes, but one MUST go by Scripture and Scripture ONLY (Isaiah 8:20)!   John 4:24 says "They that worship Him "MUST" worship Him in "SPIRIT" and in "TRUTH" and is where 'the natural man' often fails!  The Word of God is not as if 'winning' a case in a court of law, rather sharing Scriptures to determine how one comes to the conclusion of his/her belief (II Timothy 3:16)! 

I agree; "Engage or shut up!"  I Peter 3:15 tells us to "...sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready ALWAYS to given an answer to EVERY MAN that asketh a reason of the hope that is in you..." which should be done ONLY with the Word of God in order to "obey" Isaiah 8:20 and II Timothy 3:16 and by doing so we; "share our love" through the Word of God which IS GOD (John 1:1)!

"Hate" is not an option, IF "in Christ!"

I'm praying!

Blessings

1. Ericdierker profile image46

For sure I should have made a caveat for certain extreme cases. Good point.

2. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Extreme cases?"
      Jesus' FIRST Commandment: "Love the Lord thy God with ALL thy heart, &with ALL thy soul, & with ALL thy mind" (Matt22:37-38)! 
      READ Scriptures given above & I Jn2:3-5!
      Blessings

4. faith-hope-love profile image66
    faith-hope-loveposted 7 years ago

Eric there are some, because they cannot cope, who hate others for what they believe. That is their decision. Because Hate is also a decision. For myself I enjoy the diversity of all Humanity and have decided a long time ago that I would never hate another for being different in thought, belief, or color of the person. I have always contended that "Hate" is a destructive and wasted emotion. Respect and enjoy all of our idiosyncrasies and our differences. Love all regardless. You have my full support.

1. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

HP: GOD is [ALL] love.  Unfortunately, He is a "jealous GOD" (Exd34:14) who hates (Prov6:16).  Especially those who don't "obey His commandments (IJn2:3-5)!
      Mr. Ward GOD "cannot cope" IF they don't BELIEVE on Him (Heb3:19)!

2. Ericdierker profile image46

John for some reason I started reading your comment and went right to the notion that we are not so worried about ourselves but rather concerned in the human condition and by learning more of it, perhaps we can be of greater service.
      You challenge me

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)