I have a question about Key Words

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

When you have a hub that touches on several things, is it better to focus on fewer key tags- or use them all?
    Does having too many key tags hurt you as far as getting googled?
    I've just gone back in and deleted some of mine that didn't really seem as relevant now that I looked at them again.
    It's amazing how these Hubs develop over time, and being able to edit them is a wonderful thing!

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it can.

It's called "keyword stuffing".

Also there's a point where readers will be put off by the overuse of the same or too many similar words.

1. Dorsi profile image87
        Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I actually meant the "key tags" that Iist we on the side of the hub- not the actual words in the hub. Sorry!

2. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Read the guidelines for Flagship Hubs and follow those, would be my suggestion.

1. Dorsi profile image87

Thanks!

3. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 15 years ago

The keywords you place at the the side in the form of tags, should also be present within your hubs content so as to create a relevancy for the search engine spiders, so often many people just add highly relevant keyword tags at the side and then unfocused ones within the content.

I always try to add or rather sprinkle a few relevant keywords around, and also some long tail keyword phrases work pretty well too.

1. Dorsi profile image87

That makes alot of sense. When I write I need to keep that in mind- thanks!

4. waynet profile image68

One of the best things about hub pages is you can go back and edit them and test and tweak them and through the google analytics see what keywords are driving more traffic and keep on testing and tweaking.

It's all about one big test of getting it right, then when you have, move onto the next hub and make sure it brings in traffic, I'm currently going through some of my hubs and changing slight things, more on an experimental level, tweaking different things, much like you would do if you have adsense placed elsewhere that you have placed ads yourself and can edit them and refine them.

1. Catherine Behan profile image61
      Catherine Behanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

"google analytics"?  What is that?  Sounds a little left brained for this creative soul, but I want to learn the magic of drawing traffic to my writing.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Catherine

5. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Me too, Catherine.  I'm signed up but don't really understand what I'm supposed to get out of it.

I can see where it tells me what keywords people have used to get to my site, but that only tells me I've got those keywords - it doesn't tell me which ones I'm missing, does it?  so how does that help? 

Besides, at this stage (with only 15,000 views) most keywords have only been searched a handful of times each.

1. Dorsi profile image87

I'm beginning to think learning key words/tags and phrases is probably really critical. Probably something really worth learning about.

2. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Google analytics assumes you have done some keyword research to get your top few keywords, so your results are based upon what you have created and when you find out what keywords are performing well you elaborate on them with a few variations or mispellings.

Analytics is like a testing tool that helps you tweak your sites if you get to know everything in the menus.

I was a little puzzled at first, but I came around when I found out where people were coming from in the world, what browsers they were using, what keywords they used to find my sites and what pages they were exiting or bouncing off of.

Just explore it some more...is what I say!

6. Marisa Wright profile image87

Dorsi, did you know you can edit the quote if you want?  Just backspace out the bit you don't want.   And if you start typing after the [ / quote ] sign, you'll see the quote first and your comment after, which makes more sense.

1. Dorsi profile image87

Thanks, I thought that looked odd the way I was doing that!

7. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

If you go to www.nichebot.com, you can see how many people search for a given keyword, and what other keywords they also search for.

The basic level is free, and then if you want, for example, 500 "long tail" keywords related to yours, you can pay for that info. I think the basic search gives you 20 or 50. That's usually plenty for me.

Jenny

8. Marisa Wright profile image87

Thanks Jenny - I just went to the site and can only find a special offer, $1 for the first 14 days offer - not a free option.  Maybe it's hidden somewhere?

1. Inspirepub profile image73
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, I don't know. It was free back when we started using it (nearly a year ago) - maybe that was an initial deal that got replaced by the $1 trial later.

That's REALLY annoying, because overture is so ancient history, and nichebot was my freebie recommendation to the families in our program.

Blast it!

Anyone else know of a free site where you can see compiled search data?

I mean, Darkside could probably build one in seven and a half minutes using the Dogpile feed - surely someone else HAS ...?

Jenny

9. MrMarmalade profile image69
    MrMarmaladeposted 15 years ago

Jenny your comments are making a lot of sense to me.
    Thank you

10. bluewings profile image60
    bluewingsposted 15 years ago

Wordtracker has a free keyword generation tool that gives you the first 100 searched keywords and the number of times they are searched for , but it pales before their paid version which generates 1000s of long tailed keywords although the latter requires a monthly payment of $59.

11. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

I use keyword elite - its not free over $100 but excellent - if anyone wants to buy it send me an email and I will send u my affiliate link!  If you want to see it in action check out http://bloggerunleashed.com/tools/keywo … -for-bans/
    this video- note  Ihavent got seoelite- its on my Xmas list!

12. waynet profile image68

I personally use the adwords tool which really adds some unique benefits to my keyword research https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

The adwords tool also gives ad competition data too.

I would also recommend this site too for lots of website related tools and seo options to play with and optimize your hubs and stuff. http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/

13. Catherine Behan profile image61
    Catherine Behanposted 15 years ago

Thank you so much, Wayne.

I am brand spanking new and you have made some simple sense to me.

I checked out the other post with the SEO link and adwords.  I really appreciate it.  I may ask more questions as I explore.

Catherine

14. profile image53
    stevoeposted 15 years ago

i use freekeywords.wordtracker.com to research potential keywords. its the best free research tool out there

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)