Can a Christian render judgment?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    promisemposted 6 years ago

Can a Christian render judgment?

If God created us, and we have the ability to judge, then God gave us judgment and the power to use it.

As Jesus said in Matthew 7:1-3, "Judge not lest ye be judged". He did not forbid us to judge. He asks us in other passages to judge ourselves first and then prepare for judgment by God or others.

Yes or no?

2. erikdwyer profile image83
    erikdwyerposted 6 years ago

Anyone can render judgement if they so please. Jesus didn't know what he was talking about at the time.

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I respectfully agree with your first sentence and disagree with the second. I think Jesus knew that people who act immorally should realize their own flaws first before they judge other people.

3. James A Watkins profile image86
    James A Watkinsposted 6 years ago

We are commanded to judge wicked deeds and doctrines. “Let the one without sin cast the first stone” means we are not to be vigilantes who go around killing adulterers—especially if we have committed the same sin ourselves. It does not mean we are to say adultery is good. Jesus told the woman who was a habitual sinner, “Go! And Sin no more.” He never taught that we should keep on sinning and be proud of it. Christ believed in right and wrong and taught us the difference.
    ‘Do not judge’ is the Bible phrase most often quoted by those who do not believe in the Bible. God does disapprove of some kinds of judging but approves and actually commands others. We are not to pick on the faults of our brothers and sisters. But we are to correct those who spread lies about God, Jesus, or the Bible; those who misrepresent or deviously take Scripture (sacred writings) out of context; people who are proud of their sins; and especially people who call evil good. ‘Judge not’ applies to people who denounce others publicly for doing the same things they do secretly—where they think no one sees. God sees. It never meant ‘Do not confront evil’ or ‘Do not denounce sin.’

1. profile image0

That's an insightful answer. I can tell you think about the meaning of the Bible and do not simply quote passages, like some people.

2. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Who is to judge sin? Other than what is in the 10 Commandments, sometimes sin is in the eye of the beholder, not necessarily in God's eyes. I believe that is what is meant.

3. profile image0

We judge the sins in each other every day. If God created us, he also created our ability to judge.

4. Paul K Francis profile image85
    Paul K Francisposted 6 years ago

We all have the ability and the tendency to judge and form opinions regarding the events that happen around us including the actions of others. We do this mostly for practical purposes. And while we can judge the actions of another, we should not, I think, render judgment  on the person himself because it is impossible to know enough about another to understand their motivations and their emotional states - what makes them 'tick'. We should instead turn inside to better understand ourselves. I think it is better to have a little empathy and show some compassion for others instead of judging them. Have a nice day.

1. profile image0

I agree we should focus on understanding outselves first, even when it means judging our own flaws and errors.

That said, some actions by other people are so clearly evil that I believe judgment is justified.

Have a nice day yourself!

There are truly the evil, and there are those who unjustly judge others over a belief system, such as a non-drinker who judges his neighbor for having a glass of wine, or if dancing is against his religion, judges someone who goes dancing.

5. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 6 years ago

I heard one Christian preacher say that the "judge not..." meant that one should not look upon another person with a holier-than-thou attitude. That is to not judge one by looking down upon another's actions. He said that we have the power to discriminate between good and undesirable or evil. He claimed that there was a difference between judging a person and discriminating. I'm not using the word "discriminating" in the prejudicial manner. Anyway, I liked his explanation and am passing it along.

1. profile image0

That's an excellent observation. I take it to mean, "I can judge a person but I better not think I'm better than them".

Somewhat. Remember the old Indian saying, "don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins"? My mom criticized a neighbor (with 7 kids) who locked up the food pantry until mom had to hide snacks and goodies from my one of my sons.

6. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 6 years ago

Short answer - yes.
    Longer answer - read the rest of the verse! Judge not lest ye be judged, and then it goes on to condemn hypocrisy. We are called by God to call out evil and punish those who rape, maim, murder so that they stop committing those acts and discourage others from doing the same.
    The irony of liberals whipping out that verse is that they use it to say "you can't call what I'm doing wrong" while simultaneously condemning anyone who thinks less of them for their bad choices or evil acts.
    So yes, we are Biblically required to condemn rape and punish the rapists to protect women, to condemn murder and punish the murderer to save lives. You don't have to hate them to do the right thing, just as you don't have to be mad at your kid to spank them for breaking the rules. And you can forgive them to release your own anger, but it is immoral to say "he tugged on my heartstrings, exempt from the rules!"
    There is too much misplaced compassion for the criminal instead of the victim, and the first half of that verse gets used to do the same - to bully Christians into never saying anything is wrong so that people can commit deeds we know are wrong for them and bad for society.

7. manatita44 profile image70
    manatita44posted 6 years ago

In a loose sense, we are judging all the time, whether to do with crossing the road safely, or in talking about others in a negative way at work or elsewhere. We can and do minimise it, of course, but some aspects of it are necessary for growth.

In a deeper sense, we are asked not to condemn as we do not or cannot enter into another mans shoes. Let the most hated man open up to you, and you will see that he shares the same desire for happiness, peace and love; wishes to be appreciated like you and I.

Some people throw stones and forget that they are guilty of the same crimes. So many of us criticize those using mobiles while walking with their heads down, but when caught, we realise that we are in fact doing the same. Some say that every evil aspect of another, is seen because we have the same or something similar in our own nature.

Anyway, much of this is about developing empathy, as if we are continually scathing, then we cannot develop empathy and when this is lacking there is no Love. A lack of Love reduces us to the level of the brute.

To render judgement, is a heavy way of saying that we condemn. There is the Law, of course, necessary, even with it's flaws. But I would be careful as a human being, let alone a Christian, to be too heavy on folks, who like us, may simply be dealing with their own demons. Be guided by the Higher Love. Pray for empathy and compassion and you will begin to realise that we all carry burdens. Much Love.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)