To those who have 1 child, do you get intrusive, probing questions from relative

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

To those who have 1 child, do you get intrusive, probing questions from relatives &

other people?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12485341_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 6 years ago

No. I'm not sure why I would. Are you wondering if people have asked why I didn't have a 2nd child? If so, I didn't have that experience. Nobody has probed. That being said, sometimes I wish I'd had another child, but having just one seems to have worked out just fine. My son is a happy guy!

gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A+, your son will do fine.  He will find friends.  Not to worry!

2. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! He's in his 30's and has kept all his friends from middle school. He's actually quite extroverted & meets people easily.
      I think single-children do just fine, in general.

3. gmwilliams profile image84

Amen to that.  Single children often have a fearlessness that children w/siblings do not have.  I know a person who is one of 6 and she is AN INSULAR person, fearful of going outside her familial circle.

4. profile image0

Well, maybe it depends upon various factors. That being said, my only offspring left his parents high and dry, at age 19, to live in New York with only a few hundred dollars in his pocket. No fear there. Lol. But he did just fine, thank goodness.

5. Aime F profile image71
      Aime Fposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I’m an only child and I thought to myself one day at 18 years old “I don’t want to live here anymore” and two weeks later I was on a 12 hour drive moving to another province. So that sounds familiar, haha.

6. profile image0

Lol. That's awesome! Maybe there is something to the fearless only-child-thing after all. wink

7. gmwilliams profile image84

I have travelled to places by myself.  I enjoy going places alone.  I love to try new things.  Only children, I find, go on roads less travelled. Only children are VERY STRONG individualists.  We do things that others DON'T or are AFRAID to do!

3. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 6 years ago

Constantly!  My daughter is still young though so we’re really at the point people would expect us to be having more kids. Hopefully there’s a window and once she’s older people will understand that we’ve definitely decided on only one and there’s no point in trying to talk us into having another.

1. lisavollrath profile image91
      lisavollrathposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm in my 50's, and was an only child. Maybe things have changed, but my parents were still getting questions about why I didn't have siblings long after I left for college!

2. gmwilliams profile image84

Yes, things have changed from when we were only children.  The population of 1-child families are increasing.There is not as much "stigma" in 1-child families due to better education of people regarding contraception & changing definitions of fam

4. shanmarie profile image68
    shanmarieposted 6 years ago

My mother is an only child. I don't recall my grandma ever compkaining about comments like that. Of course, she practically finished raising her youngest sister after their mother died suddenly and rather young. She had her dad's help, but my mom and her aunt were close enough in age to be mistaken for sisters.

I do have friends, though, that face comments like that. I was standing beside one friend about a year ago when another friend's mother asked her when she was going to have another child. My friend was livid, but the daughter of the mother who asked steppes in and told her that she almost died the first time so leave her alone. It was quite awkward to watch.

So although I have never experienced it myself, it does happen. That's the only time I witnessed it firsthand, but I have had other friends complain about things like that happening to them.

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

Grace,  I know there are people without filters, who believe it's perfectly acceptable to ask such incredibly personal, inappropriate questions but I can assure you, I don't step over such lines.
    Needless to say, during my career, in practice, I had no choice but to be extremely familiar with nearly every minute detail of a person's life (logically, this is not the topic here) but again, in our personal lives, there really are questions that should be avoided.  This, by the way, would include, "Why have you never married??"  LOL  nowadays, the best response to that particular question would be,  "I have far too much sense than to get married!"
    I've never been in the single-child category but knowing my penchant for responding with either humor, sarcasm or both, I'd probably advise a parent to come back with, "You should probably be more curious as to why you had FOUR kids!!"   
    My eldest son has an "only" child.  Add to that, he was 40 when she was born.  He has never mentioned to me that random people have asked the rude question.  Knowing my son, no doubt he'd have an absolutely perfect response. 
    Last but not least....My Dad, bless his heart, had the best response ever to any question he felt was probing, rude or inappropriate.....In a very calm manner, he'd ask, "Now, why on earth do you feel you need to know that?"......Not much anyone can say to that!!  LOL

Yes, in a similar forum, there is a person who suggested that people should have AT LEAST 2 children.  This person is constantly haranguing people who elect to have 1 child.  This person is from a large family- my advice to this person, MYOGB!

2. profile image0

Paula, just so you know, I'm stealing your father's incredibly perfect response, in the event I should need it. He sounds like he was quite a man!

3. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Aww Yves...By all means, my Dad would be flattered.  Of course I am biased, but the truth is, my Dad was an amazing human being. If he was still here, he'd be 102 years wise & wonderful!  smile

6. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8483003_f260.jpg

Sadly, there is still residual prejudice against 1-child families although the population of 1-child families is increasing.  There are still people are strongly assert that an "authentic" family consists of AT LEAST TWO children or more.  They view 1-child families as anomalies which they are not.  They are of the purview that two or more is so much better than 1- what an inane thought.

They refuse to understand that there are those who are quite happy w/having an only child.  They may also be subconsciously jealous of the freedom that having a 1-child family allows.  People who elect to have one child have the freedom to pursue hobbies & other activities that those who have multichild families do not have.  Parents w/one child also have more income to give their child a FAR BETTER quality of life that they would if they had more children.  There are people who do not like that in the least. 

Such people are of the school that the more the merrier although they will be either socioeconomically struggling or impoverished.  That impoverishment & struggle does not matter at all as long as that child has siblings.   Well, such thoughts are toxic.  I believe in small families of 1-perhaps 3 children so that children can have a VERY HIGH QUALITY of life without socioeconomic struggle.  I am an advocate of 1-child families.  1-child families give a child individualized time w/parents.  That child has opportunities to develop without the drama that siblings bring.  H/she has more myriad educational & socioeconomic opportunities to live life beyond socioeconomic struggle, being exposed to the finer, more cultivated things in life such as plays, restaurants, and travel. 

These things are so important to children but parents in multichild families fail to acknowledge this, oftentimes berating parents of 1-child because they can afford such activities for their child whereas the parents of multiple children....SIMPLY CANNOT.  There seem to be an envy of the 1-child family by those in multiple child families because the former have a life that these parents WISH they had but sadly......CAN'T!  Oops.....

7. JynBranton profile image69
    JynBrantonposted 6 years ago

Questions in general about your kid or do you plan to have more? I've gotten a little of both . What's funny is my family was very hands off style of parenting when we grew up and our grandmother was the after school caretaker where my parents kind of just came home and seeing we were already fed and in bed always had a very strained relationship with my brother and I . Now my mom who cared very little about the day to day stuff when I was a kid wants to lavish all that attention on my son.

1. profile image0

I am sorry to hear that. Sounds like an unhappy scenario. Maybe you should confront your mother. You can always send her a message. If you love her, say so. Then lay out the ugly truth. Either she owns it or she doesn't...

8. raucciwrites profile image75
    raucciwritesposted 6 years ago

I have had people question when I will have another child over and over again. Now that my daughter is a teenager, the question has switched to 'Don't you wish you had more than one?' Ugh...yes maybe I would have liked to have more, but why in the world would people constantly point this out like I failed at mommy-hood or something?

1. Aime F profile image71
      Aime Fposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Also probably a pretty painful question for those who really wanted more kids but couldn’t conceive for whatever reason.

People need to do more thinking and less speaking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)