secret societies

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (26 posts)
  1. lovetherain profile image80
    lovetherainposted 6 years ago

Are they just boy's clubs, or are they something else? if so, what?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Depends on who you talk to.  If it's the membership, they're just a boy's club.  If it's a conspiracy theorist they are evil things with evil people that want to control everyone else.

If they're actually secret you'll never hear from either group, though...

lovetherainposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think at one point, they were secret, like the Freemasons. Now they are just boys clubs. But I could be wrong of course.

2. MizBejabbers profile image89
        MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

True, Wilderness, but I've been seeing some scary ones featured on the History Channel. However, that channel's intent is to make money so do we believe them or not?

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't put it past any secret society to aspire to world control, although I'm not certain how possible that would be.
      But, I don't think it is far fetched to think they exist for more reasons than guys wanting to hang out together.

Although, I find your assumption biased. I'd assume any secret society was controlled a woman.

I don't understand your last sentence. Can you rephrase it please?

C'mon!  They don't let silly, fluttery girls into a boy's club!

(Sorry, LTL - couldn't resist!  Ever read Calvin & Hobbs about that?  As usual, Susie got her revenge.)

That's just not fair! LOL.

I used to work at a country club as a waitress and hostess. There were boy club meetings all the time....they were very strange I tell you.

Bet that was an uncomfortable gig to work!

Yes, a men's social club here in town got a shock when it had to admit women or be charged with sex discrimination. Actually, I thought a social club could discriminate, but apparently not.

Considering that girls must be allowed on high school wrestling teams without regard to the sensitivities of their opponents, it's not surprising.

do you think it's ok for men to have their own "clubs" and activities?

Truthfully, I don't have a problem with that.  I think that there are times males would prefer to be together and the same goes for females.  I would go so far as to say that the women (for instance) that force their way into a men's club don't do it for the camaraderie and friendship of belonging - they do it to make a point that "You can't exclude ME from your club!"

But, as always, it's gray, not B&W.  A country wide organization with 100 clubs scattered in every major city is perhaps another matter and deserves a different ruling than a poker club of 50 guys in Hoboken.

2. Credence2 profile image78
                  Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I guess that is ok, but I assume that the each gender only can compete with one of their own?

1. GA Anderson profile image90
                    GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"... I assume that the each gender only can compete with one of their own?"

Okay, I admit it, I am a goat. Since wrestling matches are done by weight class,  I am sure you can guess the first mental image, (and the second and third),  that came to mind when thinking of a Co-ed high school wrestling match.

GA

2. wilderness profile image95

No it does not.  Boys are forced to either get on the ground and wrestle a girl or leave the competition.  Both have happened - not only is there the question of impropriety for some boys (others would love the chance!) but can you imagine the comments from team mates if the boy loses?

LTL, was your last sentence missing a preposition? Should it have read "I'd assume any secret society was controlled [by] a woman."?
        I don't know of any controlled by a woman, but of course, those may be really  secret. Most of the secret societies were formed in the strong patriarchal days, but in the features of some that I've seen on TV, there have been some with female members. Most of these are among the world's richest people who meet to control the economies of the world, and they are all billionaires or trillionaires.
        You mentioned the Freemasons, but that society has a women's auxiliary (the Eastern Star), and as far as the world knows, they don't admit women into their male ranks. I read a book by one of the conspiracy theorists that said the upper echelon of the Freemasons is made up of the world's most wealthy and influential people and is very secretive. It said that the lower level that is shown to the world are just everyday people who are being used by the group's hierarchy. I don't  recall whether it said that there were women in the hierarchy. I still have the book around here somewhere but I can't remember the name or the author. If I find it, I'll post the information.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
          Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Posting from a phone, for me, includes typos and accidental omissions. Sorry

2. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 6 years ago

Maybe the times have got ahead of me? You have women's swim teams and men swim teams, there are also men track and field and woman track and field. Have there always been reasons why the sexes compete within their own gender?

Are you all suggesting that officially in high schools that administrators are actually serious about not segregating by gender in a contact sport like wrestling? I can imagine all the trouble that would ensue, couldn't anyone?

That is beyond the pale, even for me....

1. MizBejabbers profile image89

Well, in the past females were called the weaker sex because most of us are physically weaker than males of the same age. I think we can compete fairly in skills sports like riflemanship, but wrestling is one area in which we women have to realize that most of us would lose. I've seen a few muscular girls who might compete fairly, but what about the rest? This is a contact sport and females are already complaining about unwanted male contact. Will they complain when some guy grabs their boobs, either accidentally or on purpose?

1. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well, in the past females were called the weaker sex because most of us are physically weaker than males of the same age. I think we can compete fairly in skills sports like riflemanship, but wrestling is one area in which we women have to realize that most of us would lose. I've seen a few muscular girls who might compete fairly, but what about the rest? This is a contact sport and females are already complaining about unwanted male contact. Will they complain when some guy grabs their boobs, either accidentally or on purpose?
        --------------------
        Thanks, MizB, While there are fewer woman because of biology that can compete with a comparable man in the strength department, there is always an Amazon or two would could prove the exception. I don't know guys can grab boobs but the girls can grab the 'family jewels' and mess you up.

I came along too early, how come I couldn't have had this much fun in high school?

I'm not sure how true that would be in high school and even more so in lower grades.  Girls mature physically before boys and are often just as big in, say, the 9th or 10th grade.  Not sure when the difference in musculature makes its appearance, but would guess somewhere around puberty, fully maturing a few years later.

While I'm pretty confident that by the time these kids are seniors it's all over for true competition, I don't so confident about it at at 14 or 15.

Federal laws require equal sports opportunities for boys and girls.  If there aren't enough girls for a wrestling team (in each school) then girls must be able to compete in a boys team.  So the very few that want to wrestle do just that and heck with whether the boys wish to grope a girl in public.  They don't matter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)