Stephen Hawking Hub and Florida Hub Hit 100,000 views

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (39 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years ago

My hub about Hawking (Here's Why Stephen Hawking Say There is No God).was published in June 2017. Views have gone through the roof since the announcement of his death. I've had close to 100,000 views in 24 hours.

I'll enjoy this heavy traffic while it lasts.  It was getting about 200-300 views per day before Hawking's death.

What I expected to be announcing today was that my hub "20 Reasons Not to Move to Florida" (published in January 2015 just hit 100,000 views--I thought it would be my first hub to reach that milestone. (It turns my Hawking hub did it at about the same date.).It is on toughnickel and gets about 200 views per day, 300-400 views per day when blizzards and Nor'easters hit in the North.

Funny thing is, I wrote the Florida hub as a joke. When it was announced that Florida had become the third most populous state, bumping New York to fourth place, the famous columnist and humorist, Dave Barry, wrote a column giving 5 reasons not to move to Florida.  I decided I could do better than that and came up with 20.

I just want to share my milestones

1. robhampton profile image94
      robhamptonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I do ok with my pool articles, but last year when the Olympic pool in Brazil turned green, my article on green pool went crazy, like literally a 5000% increase for that day. lol. Also . .RIP Mr. Hawking

CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It is great when something in the news causes a spike in views. It was just on Tuesday, that I was telling my son about how well my Hawking hub was doing.  I added that since Hawking is already 75 years old, he might die soon and that might create a spike in my views. (It was a coincidence, not a premonition.) I never expected 100,000 views.

1. robhampton profile image94
          robhamptonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's awesome! Congrats. (Don't write an article about me anytime soon though) LOL just kidding. I know it was coincidence

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's great!  First time in awhile that we've heard of someone's views going viral.  I have several articles on Florida, but have seen no spikes, even though they talk about the more serious problems involved for people who buy condos in Florida.  Luck of the draw I guess!  Anyhow, congrats!

I think my title grabs them. According to stats, my views come from people searching for "move to Florida." So they want to move for Florida and then they see this article that says "Don't move to Florida."  I stumbled into this by luck. As I said in a previous comment, I wrote this as a joke.

3. liesl5858 profile image84
      liesl5858posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations! and well done.

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations Catherine!

Thanks

5. Coffeequeeen profile image82
      Coffeequeeenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well done.  That is good news that you're getting the views.  I hope they continue.  smile

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

There are a few articles on Hawking that had intense interest with his passing.

I suspect there will be interest in these articles for years to come.

My hub was doing moderately well before his death and I expect it will go down to the previous level when Hawking is no longer in the news.  My hope i that all these views will have earned me some "google juice" and views will be a little higher in the months and years ahead. I agree people will always be interested in Hawking because he was a great man.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 6 years ago

Great news, Catherine, congratulations! Love that kind of milestone. Woohoo! Sad to hear of his death but readers will enjoy him until infinity. Hope your article continues to enjoy it for a good run, too.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

Wow! That is amazing. RIP Hawkins!

5. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 6 years ago

It's sad that Stephen Hawking died. I'm happy for your success, though. Your news is exciting!

6. Zola Mars profile image93
    Zola Marsposted 6 years ago

Congratulations! That is terrific news.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Contradictory incident here.

A great man died, but celebration as to ad profits from related articles.

The problem is both gestalts are correct.

8. nikkikhan10 profile image72
    nikkikhan10posted 6 years ago

Wow,, great news Catherine.Congrats dear.
    May Hawking’s soul rest in peace.

9. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 years ago

That's a great news, Catherine. Congratulations on your achievement.

Stephen Hawkins was such a great exceptional personality spending his whole life in researching. His predictions helped our scientists to much extent. But, he was not awarded the Nobel Prize.

May his soul rest in peace.

10. MelRootsNWrites profile image90
    MelRootsNWritesposted 6 years ago

Congratulations Catherine!  That's an amazing amount of views!

11. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

Hawking was a brilliant mind, I would think the traffic would continue for years to come. It's nice that you got so many views, it's interesting how people become interested in a person and their work on their passing.

Traffic is still high (around 30,000 today), I expect it will drop off.  It may spike a little  again when his funeral/memorial plans are announced. 

I greatly admire Hawking. I am saddened by his death.

But I am also glad to get so many views. My hub is a tribute to him so I am glad people are seeing it.

I'm also glad to get revenue. I think I can be both sad and glad. I put a lot of work into that hub when I wrote it and I spent about three hours updating it this week.

12. Solaras profile image93
    Solarasposted 6 years ago

Congrats Catherine - I can't imagine how many articles there are on Stephen Hawking, but yours was just the ticket to go viral. Well done!! I hope it continues for you!!

I hadn't thought of it that way. I think my hub was on the first page of google and from there people got attracted by the title saying Hawking says there is no God. I got about 50 comments so far and most of them are long missives citing Scripture and saying that Hawking as now met God. I've hade to deny most of them. Too repetitive.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image91
        Chriswillman90posted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's amazing how triggered people get by any religious or political connotations.

Regardless this is a great achievement and a fantastic article about an amazing person.

2. Solaras profile image93
        Solarasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, or then you will start ranking for something you never intended lol.

13. Solaras profile image93
    Solarasposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13953456.jpg

I liked this as a nice farewell to a genius.

The world has lost a brilliant mind.

14. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 6 years ago

Well done! Congrats!

15. profile image0
    Shizetteposted 6 years ago

great hub on Stephen Hawking! It came up on Google when I searched it too! And I aptly shared it on my hubby's Facebook wall.

A share is the best compliment I can get. Thanks so much.  I will have to check my views from facebook. I haven't posted it there recently. The last time was months ago.

16. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

I just had the time to read the hub, I really loved it. Well put together and with a Msc in a Physics field, I must say you have a very good understanding of his work. From your profile, I cannot tell if you are into science or like it as a hobby. Either way, amazing stuff and I'll check out your other hubs soon smile

Just wondering if you know the stats of your poll from a few days before the demise of Stephen Hawking. I'm just curious if the poll has tipped more towards Genesis over the past week.

I hadn't specifically looked at my poll in the weeks prior to Hawkings death, but I think they were about 80% to 90% in favor of atheism. These new views have really changed the poll results. I have about 30 comments I have to look at today and I am dreading it. (Besides, I'm working on an exciting  new hub which is a more productive use of my time. Also it has nothing to do with religion.) Anyway, if you care to look at the comments you will see a great shift towards comments saying Hawking is wrong.  I am denying most of them because they are so repetitive and many just consist of long excerpts of scripture (Bible and Quran), probably cut and paste jobs. They are also often rambling, off topic, and written with poor grammar and spelling.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yup, I did read some of the comments (just 10-15) this is why I thought about the poll results. Most people who commented are not going to come back to read as they are just ranting. Work on that new hub, can't wait to check it out smile

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78

Thanks so much for telling me I got the science right.  I worked very hard to get it right. I never studied physics, advanced mathematics, or astronomy in school.  It means a lot to me to have someone who is knowledgeable tell me I got it right.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wow! I'm really impressed. I love reading stuff on astrophysics, and I haven't really checked out HP for such topics. A few by Glenn were the only ones I read prior to this.

17. Glenis Rix profile image95
    Glenis Rixposted 6 years ago

I’m pleased that your hub has drawn interest but please remember that Stephen Hawking was much loved in Britain and that many people are mourning the loss of a hugely brave man and one of the few geniuses the world has produced. Talking so soon after his death about views seems a tad distasteful.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

But the article wasn't  written to exploit the event of his death -- it was written many months before.
      His death motivated people to search for articles about him.

18. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 6 years ago

Well done. It's great when this happens.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)