Trump congratulates Putin

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

"President Trump did not follow specific warnings from his national security advisers when he congratulated Russian President Vladi­mir Putin Tuesday on his reelection, including a section in his briefing materials in all-capital letters stating “DO NOT CONGRATULATE,” according to officials familiar with the call.

Trump also chose not to heed talking points from aides instructing him to condemn Putin about the recent poisoning of a former Russian spy in the United Kingdom with a powerful nerve agent, a case that both the British and U.S. governments have blamed on Moscow.

The president’s conversation with Putin, which Trump called a “very good call,” prompted fresh criticism of his muted tone toward one of the United States’s biggest geopolitical rivals amid the ongoing special counsel investigation into Russia’s election interference and the Trump campaign’s contacts with Russian officials."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … 94f9a051b5

Why does our president behave this way? What drives him to defer and subjugate himself to murdering dictator Putin? Is there a rational explanation? Is this good foreign policy?

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hello, Panther..

As to why our President acts this way, this article may help to explain the nature of who it is we are dealing with, here.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/05/politics … index.html

What do you think?

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have long been disturbed by Trump's fascination with authoritarian leaders.  It seems childish and inappropriate for a president of a country that prides itself on its constitutionally protected freedoms.  I do believe he was joking about being president for life, because I think he believes it could never happen.  I also think that if he thought he could get away with becoming president for life, he would do it. 

My main concern and the thrust of my question is, why is Trump so especially deferential to Putin?  I mean, he called to congratulate him on his re-election, knowing the election was rigged, knowing of the recent crimes and atrocities committed by Putin's Russia against our allies, and directly thumbing his nose at his own national security team.  Add that to his already notorious history of kissing Putin's @ss and you have a pattern that, so far, has not been adequately explained.

I would like to know what his supporters think is the reason for Trump's behavior.  As a person who already has no respect for Trump, I can formulate many negative hypotheses about why he is so deferential to Putin even when it is detrimental to our standing as a nation. I am curious what his supporters believe is the reason for this inexplicable behavior.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
          MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I read your link and the statement that "we may have to try that someday" stood out. He was referring to President Xi Jinping's apparently now being president for life. He also knows that Putin is president for as long as he wants to be, and it is obvious that Trump wants to be our dictator for life. Our non-thinking Trump supporters seem to think that it would be wonderful if Trump because president for life. I think in that case we would become a Russian satellite because Trump is so in awe of Putin.  I spent two weeks in Russia under Perestroika, and as much as I enjoyed the Russian people and history, I couldn't wait to get our of that country. The feeling was so oppressive that we all felt like we were smothering to death.  Nobody seems to be able to reason with his supporters though. They need to go through two weeks of no rights and KGB breathing down their necks. It would be interesting to see how many change their minds then.

1. profile image0

I have been astounded by the political  right's switcheroo.  Now, the FBI/intelligence community  are bad, and Russia/Putin are good.  Go figure.

2. Credence2 profile image78

I have long been disturbed by Trump's fascination with authoritarian leaders.  It seems childish and inappropriate for a president of a country that prides itself on its constitutionally protected freedoms.  I do believe he was joking about being president for life, because I think he believes it could never happen.  I also think that if he thought he could get away with becoming president for life, he would do it. 

My main concern and the thrust of my question is, why is Trump so especially deferential to Putin?  I mean, he called to congratulate him on his re-election, knowing the election was rigged, knowing of the recent crimes and atrocities committed by Putin's Russia against our allies, and directly thumbing his nose at his own national security team.  Add that to his already notorious history of kissing Putin's @ss and you have a pattern that, so far, has not been adequately explained.
          -----------
          I have been given permission to come out and play........

Yes, he has attacked the FBI, an Agency under his very purview. Who would believe it? J. Edgar has been dead for some time, I have not heard of the Bureau being this law unto itself monster Trumps claims that it is.

I am hoping that Mueller keeps at his job and ferrets out and follows the evidence where ever it leads.
          Trump may have some financial business dealing with Putin and Russia that would be in conflict with his job as President. I don't know for sure, but Mueller needs to stay on point until all the questions are satisfactorily answered to the satisfaction of all, not just the GOP apparatchiks.
          ----------------------------------------------
          I would like to know what his supporters think is the reason for Trump's behavior.  As a person who already has no respect for Trump, I can formulate many negative hypotheses about why he is so deferential to Putin even when it is detrimental to our standing as a nation. I am curious what his supporters believe is the reason for this inexplicable behavior.

Trump is only interested in Trump. I only notice that Trump supporters don't have or need a reason. They will stick with their choice. With all the outrages, it does not matter what he does. He is an SOB, but he is their SOB. He is an undeniable symbol, powerfully addressing the politics of resentment that is far too important to dismiss merely because the symbol in ridiculous in every other way.

1. profile image0

The Trump base cannot claim to be supporters of law and order or family values.  So, what are they supporting? A border wall that will never be built?  Deference to Russia/Putin?  A trade war that pretty much everyone agrees is a bad idea?  Unnecessary tax cuts that disproportionately benefit Trump and his rich friends?  What?

1. Credence2 profile image78

The Trump base cannot claim to be supporters of law and order or family values.  So, what are they supporting? A border wall that will never be built?  Deference to Russia/Putin?  A trade war that pretty much everyone agrees is a bad idea?  Unnecessary tax cuts that disproportionately benefit Trump and his rich friends?  What?
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              The Trump base like much of the conservative base in general wallow in the terms  "law and order" or family values" only in support of their policy positions.  This has never been a universal principle.

There is the right wing ideology and if those worn out phrases can fool the multitude into  giving any serious consideration to the ideas of the inane, all the better.

Law and Order? I heard that term bandied about during the 1968 presidential campaign by Richard Nixon and George Wallace. It was a 'code word', it can and was decrypted, and me and mine knew exactly what it actually meant. Suppressing dissent was certainly one of the concepts behind that code.

"Family values", picked up on this during the early 1980's, sparked by the rise of the "Christian Right", another code word to cover their agenda for religious establishment through the law and proselytizing.
              I did not find much reason to give Jerry Falwell any credibility.

A Great Wall of China across America's Southern border? This is a impractical response to a false idea, that immigrants are responsible for a dearth of job opportunities in America. There are really many more accurate and realistic explanations that the conservatives just as soon not touch on as it would condemn them and their policy positions in the eyes of even the least sophisticated of our citizens. But it is like any tyrant to foment dissent among the masses, having us blame our neighbor for our own misfortunes, this is pure Trump.

The economists that I have been hearing from on both sides of the ideological divide say that creating a tariff war may well not be to our advantage. Even our allies have question the wisdom of such a course.

The idea that conservatives want to 'save money' is another 'red herring'. They simply want to move spending from domestic concerns to the military contractors and plutocrats. That is what they HAVE always been about.

Did you check out the latest on the so-called 'Trump Box" that is to partially replace the EBT program? Trump and Republicans want to fix something that is not broken, at least according to venerable economists. So, why change the program, to save money? No, it is just another example of resentment of the rightwing that includes Trump to actually think  that people are taking their $125.00 allowance per person/per month and dining on surf and turf. They relish in the idea of this heavy set black lady, with a shopping cart full of steaks and lobster, taking advantage of the system, that is their mind picture. A total exaggeration and more rightwing rubbish. There is a fundamental and desperate hatred for the poor as part of the conservative mantra. I have seen the food boxes, since they are non-perishable having no fresh ingredients, would you give it to your children? What about the sheer logistics of shipping this 'stuff' to all that are in the program, did Trump consider any of this in that "good brain" of his when evaluating the cost savings?

These people are about a lot of things, but saving money is not one of them.

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

Today it is reported that Trump and Kelly both are "furious" that someone in their inner circle  leaked the fact that he was advised by his national security team not to congratulate Putin.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)