Flipboard Revisited

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

I know people have largely said that they haven't found good results from Flipboard but I've noticed that despite not even thinking about it or adding to any of my magazines in over a year I continue to get a handful of views from there each month.  I am wondering if it might be worth it to put some more effort into it and see if I get any meaningful traffic from there.  Is anyone at this point actually still using Flipboard and if so are you seeing traffic from there?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

My first month with Flipboard was unbelievably good...I got 25,000 views almost overnight.  Then it just died.  I removed my magazines as best I could and let it go.  Don't even bother with it anymore. They were told about the bugs, said they'd fix them, and never did.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 5 years ago

It started out great at the beginning, but I was dissapointed with Flipboard when they started having that bug where they listed the wrong author for some articles. I talked about that in my Flipboard tutorial. I even deleted all the flips that were attributed to the wrong author. I think they fixed that bug since then, but I’m weary of it now.

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Weary or wary? (or both smile)

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha. Good catch Eugene, but I did mean weary. smile I'm tired of dealing with the issues they had, constantly having to check to see if flips were listed correctly.

But now that you mention it, I'm wary of it too. If they continue to have bugs as they've had, who knows what problems it might cause. roll

3. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

I went back to it last night and it appears they've updated the site so I'm hoping that helps the problems that were occurring.  I created a new magazine but haven't flipped anything into it yet.  I'll post something when I see if I can leverage the site for views in future.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

The day I started using Flipboard my views went up, but then my views went down. Three months went by and hardly anything worth mentioning from Flipboard - too much work for the return. I removed my Hub articles from Flipboard my views improved. I like Pinterest better. Whenever I Pin, I get more views in general.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

I remember back when backlinks were the most important thing in the business of webpages. There was a guy here who was averaging over one hundred dollars per day, from Adsense, and he was the king philosopher of backlinking. I wonder what happened to that guy.

That Flipboard thing sure came and went, huh? Reminds me of...what was that thing everyone was doing for a bit, bubblooze or something?

Here in my hometown, Kaufman, Texas; many many small businesses have been started, and a lot of them were really cool things. It's very sad how they just up and die all the time.

Websites on the internet are often just like that, here today, gone tomorrow.

I get pretty angry about random things on Hubpages. There's not much to be done about it, I'm just a bi-polar sort of person. Well whatever, this place is still a winning racehorse. Bet on it, I think Warren Buffett, were he someone who wrote things on the web for income, would tell you to invest your efforts here instead of elsewhere.

Me personally, I utilize the bejeepers out of Facebook groups for the niche I'm seemingly best at, but in fact, I get more views from that Pinterest thingy than even Facebook. I don't know of any other website which is useful.

6. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
    letstalkabouteducposted 5 years ago

I never get any action from Flipboard now. Is it better to delete it or keep it or it doesn't matter?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I can't think of any reason to delete something on a site like Flipboard. I'm not aware of any reason why having links to your work there could harm you. I do not believe it matters.

Thing is, the internet and the 'rules' change all the time, but there's not a reason to worry about it. You could possibly help yourself doing more Flipboard, or you could spend time doing things there and that time is just spent.

I tend to think time spent creating something new or improving something old is better than linking.

1. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
        letstalkabouteducposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

Gosh, I looked at your profile page, and you are KILLING IT. Everything you do is moved to a niche site. You're clearly one of the better persons writing on the Hubpages network.

I would think there would be groups on Facebook about raising children, and those sorts of groups, were you to join them, would be a great places for you to share your stuff.

1. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
            letstalkabouteducposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip, Wesman. I've never used Facebook. I'm a little distrustful of it because of recent events. Would you consider writing a hub on how to optimize FB and its groups?  Folks like me would me interested. Flipboard was a real bust for me, but I do get a little love from Pinterest.

Well Facebook is not especially trustworthy, but you do not have to use your real name. I know a lot of persons who aren't using their real name, and most of them are women.

I always use my real name and people have always thought I shouldn't because I will say exactly what I think about anything at all. 

But groups on Facebook are the very single best thing about Facebook. You can find groups about literally anything. Once you have a facebook account, I could then explain pretty easily to you how to search for groups.

Myself, I am at present mostly writing about either specific guitars, or musicians. So I find a big group about guitars in general, I join the group.

Then, Facebook will constantly suggest other groups like that one for me to join. I just keep joining and joining and joining. I must be in about 50-70 groups about guitars and different types of music.

Now keep in mind this same exact thing works no matter what subject matter you write about. If you were to join one big group about child raising, then Facebook would start suggesting other groups for you to join.

You dont' have to wait for Facebook to suggest a group for you to join, I always search and find them myself, but I also join the ones they suggest for me to join.

See, groups will die out sometimes, and someone will start a brand new group. So there are always groups to join.

Sometimes you will get into a group, and you may discover that you simply do not like the person(s) who administer the group. You can leave the group. It doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot, as you will find there are so very very many more out there.

So whenever I publish something new here, once it gets approved and the adverts are on it, I will write a nice header or introduction for my link, and post the intro and the link in every group where the subject fits. For me, that's usually at least 30-50 or my maybe 70 groups.

Then there are conversations already going on where you have already written something which addresses the issue, so you can feel free to drop a link of yours in the comments on those things too.

7. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 5 years ago

I use FlipBoard. But, I have never seen traffic from there to my articles. Probably, it may be due to my not being a regular user.

8. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
    letstalkabouteducposted 5 years ago

Thanks, Wesman, for taking the time to explain this to me. That was so kind of you and I appreciate it. I thought I needed followers to succeed on Facebook, but now I see that's not the case. I didn't know anything about FB groups. It seems like I should hold my nose and join!

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Or setup your own up? The disadvantage of Facebook groups as opposed to Facebook pages is that they aren't indexed by Google (as far as I know). So any posts and conversations don't come up in searches. However groups are geared more towards social interaction and you'll get some direct traffic from members.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)