Connecting to Maven Again

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Looks like they're connecting hubs to Maven sites again without the reverse being true.  Hoped they were done with this.  My newest hubs are being used to funnel traffic to maven sites but not vice versa.  Have checked several older hubs and a couple are also now linked.  Seems like they're being linked from my food related ones but not really in the same category, for example an eating disorder hub and how to buy filet mignon both linked to recipes, the recipes linked only to every other article on that site and nothing back to HP. This happening with anyone else's hubs?  If they're conducting tests again I wish they'd let us know.  I don't remember them every testing sites going only from Maven to us.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't see it. Which article or niche are you seeing this on.

Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's only on the mobile version like last time.  There is one on my article, Getting Your Picky Eater to Eat, https://wehavekids.com/parenting/How-to … ild-to-Eat - This one has been linked to the same Maven sleep article and Health Site since shortly after it was published and moved to a niche site.  I just thought they forgot one and was ignoring it figuring one didn't matter.  But now others are being linked including my newest articles.  My most recent one How to Buy and Cook a Filet Mignon https://delishably.com/meat-dishes/How- … et-Mignons is also linked to a Maven recipe site.  I have numerous recipes that could be included and know there are tons of others on HP that I would be happy to be linked too.  Again these links are created in boxes that look like the ads and are actually slightly bigger and more attention getting than the ads.  There is no reciprocity from the Maven sites to my sites - it is once more just a one way deal.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I looked for a few of my astrology articles, and finally found a few under "Alternative Spirituality" which is odd, as astrology is popular. I write in several places. Anyway, I was just taken to Exemplore. So I don't understand what people are saying about pieces directly on The Maven.

There are links on our niche articles made to look like ads, though bigger than normal ads to get more attention, that go directly to a Maven article.  That article has all of the articles on that author's website listed without any link back to our articles.  When this first happened we were told they were collecting data and it was just a test and would be reversed for a while then there would be reciprocity.  It was never reversed where there were only links from the Maven articles that were originally linked to mine and I looked at a number of other articles that might have been related to mine over a couple of months and never found a single one that was linked to mine.  I then just randomly looked at different articles to see if any I could find were linked to any articles on the HP niche sites written by anyone an never found any. Then after a couple of months they seemed to start taking them off.  I though that they'd then put some on ours and some on theirs - which would be reciprocity.  But again they're starting to put them on just on ours again.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

How do you know this?

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

I don't pay attention to this type of thing, but you have to remember that Maven owns HP now.  They make money from both sites.  Many here are feeling doom and gloom but the truth is that Maven is not going to do anything to cause itself financial losses.  Yes, we may lose some money, but to think that HP is going under?  I don't think so..not for the foreseeable future.  A lot can happen when big changes like this take place.  They are testing things out.   My guess is that if one of their Mavens makes more money than you do, it would make sense to funnel page views from your HP site to theirs.  Fair?  No.  Stupid...probably.  If they do this enough, people will stop writing for HP because they will feel used.  I really don't think this will last.  BUT...those are just my thoughts.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I am seeing less and less reason to feel good about this whole Maven thing,  Nothing suggests that they have better SEO skills that Hubpages already has--which provides a lot of motivation to exploit their Hubpages acquisition rather than nurture it.

Hubpages has the SEO talent, definitely NOT Maven considering the quality of the websites each controlled. Maven is the Ad partner not the SEO partner in this game.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Frankly, I'm resigned to whatever will be will be. My earnings would be double or triple what they are now, but HP editors have killed that over the years. Again, whatever will be will be. I've given up caring.

4. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 5 years ago

Yep, I too have found a link to a Maven site on one of my articles (in ToughNickel). It only shows on the mobile version of the article, but what is disturbing is that it is a video and link to a Maven "partner" and includes comments about their article but posted on my article. It is very eye-catching and I'm sure it will get many clicks for that partner.

It is annoying because the video/ ad is not even on the same topic as my article and I have no way of removing it. It is placed just above my comments section so it looks to the reader as if it is part of my article.

I don't like the way this merger is heading.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's life. The only constant is change. I very much appreciate and need the payout every month, but I know it will be gone; it is what it is.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

Tried to talk. Couldn't. I guess i'm done.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way. I still write a little when I am in the mood, but don't see this merger as a good thing.

1. Marsha Musselman1 profile image83
        Marsha Musselman1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I only recently got a smartphone. Just looked for an app and see several and can't tell which one belongs to hubpages. Can someone clarify?

This is the first I've read about Maven, is it them and hubpages merging or another entity?

1. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
          Beth Eaglescliffeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Marsha, welcome to HubPages.

HubPages no longer has an app. Maven and HubPages merged a few months ago. There are many other threads about the how and why.

It's best to start a new thread if you have any questions, you'll get a better response (and people don't like it if you try and hijack their thread).

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

HP has been good to me. When it goes, it goes. It has been one heck of a ride on several fronts. I even wrote an entropy article about it, since moved to my website; good luck finding it.

7. Marsha Musselman1 profile image83
    Marsha Musselman1posted 5 years ago

Okay, well I saw a different thread and read that the mobile was available without the app.

I've been on hubpages five years I just don't check the forums often enough.

And not intending to hi-jack any threads. Sorry about that, Natalie Frank

No problem.  I didn't see it as anything of the sort.  Welcome back.

8. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 5 years ago

I just went over to toughnickel because of something I saw in another thread and randomly looked at a bunch of Hubs. Most had links to Maven business content, which is bad enough. But several had links to Maven crafts pages.

Once again: A hub on a business/finance site is intentionally being linked to an unrelated crafts page in order to drive traffic.

Is this a bug? If not, how in the world is this okay?

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think this might need to be brought up in the technical section where it might stand a chance of being seen by a staffer.

It's not good.

2. Natalie Frank profile image91

Deleted

It's okay because the priority is Maven.  If we are left afloat we have to have a function that benefits Maven.  So using the niche site to funnel traffic to Maven (which means away from HP) would be a benefit to them.  They said previously it was testing and that it would be reversed so that Maven sites would provide one way traffic to HP then they would make it reciprocal.  So far they had many of the niche site articles with one way traffic to Maven for months then stopped most.  I have regularly looked both at the sites that my articles were being used to market and spot sampled others since they took most of the one way traffic to Maven down but never saw any indication that there was ever one way traffic from Maven to HP.  Now they are starting up the one way traffic back to Maven and using our articles to market Maven's and Maven's to market their own.

Original thread on this

1. EricDockett profile image96
          EricDockettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The unfair absence of reciprocation is one thing, and I do find that aggravating. I worry more about the sites getting penalized by search engines.

Sacrificing the health of the HubPages network sites to feed Maven authors just doesn't make sense in the long run. I don't see how it is a sustainable strategy.

It would be like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

I think it's one of the 'carrots' used to attract potential Mavens to hand over their websites... "Look we can funnel all the traffic you can handle."

I do not think so. New Mavens would never know to look on hubs, also Christin was somewhat into the process to move her website over, but decided not to just because Maven didn't really show her anything worth moving for. They made a lot of promises but didn't prove what they were saying, so to say.

Why they are doing this beats me, but I thought that I should point this out.

I don't mean that new Mavens would look at hubs, just that Maven can demonstrate and prove traffic sources. I can't comment about Christin's situation but perhaps the 'facility' wasn't enabled at that time. Natalie thought they'd stopped doing it and only recently discovered it was happening again.

Maven is pitching by saying they have 94M uniques lol. They are trying to increase exposure or something. If it's a tactic to show people some stats, that's not going to work because the niche sites are on the same network.

What does that mean exactly?  Views that come from the niche sites would still be counted as views, maybe not for the purpose of ads but I know my view totals include the ones that come from niche sites as they're listed in mys stats.  Sorry - I'm still a computer and program related idiot.

9. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I can't say for sure what's up.  I know I decided to not move forward at this time and they said to leave it open ended for awhile and were very understanding about my hesitation. 

She said they want to have more "case studies" under their belt to provide me with accurate projections down the road. She said she wanted to wait until she can prove that a move would be an instant gain for my site. 

We'll see what happens with those case studies I suppose.

Okay cool.

2. theraggededge profile image96

There you go... "instant gain". In other words, HubPages visitors channelled to Maven. They probably haven't got accurate figures yet.

Yup

10. Natalie Frank profile image91

Yep.  So seems they didn't really ever have any intention of reversing the direction of the links nor of establishing a reciprocal relationship.  I just found a Maven link on one of my Q andA also so they're leaving no stone unturned.  I wouldn't mind if those links went to other hubbers articles but do mind this.  Very much.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Natalie, I have a question about those Maven links you're referring to. Are they the vibrating/oscillating ads that I talked about in another thread?

I know you're asking Natalie but I've seen both as of yesterday: vibrating "ads" promoting the football channels on Maven, as well as image links (sometimes off topic) pointing straight to Maven.

For the vibrating ads, they appear to take up both an ad slot and the "Popular" slot, and so are often stacked one on top of the other, which looks insane.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Eric. I sent the link to my other thread to the staff. Hopefully other's will chime in there and staff will see I'm not the only one noticing the problem.

11. Natalie Frank profile image91

After literally dozens of articles (over 10 pages of post) about this three months ago, Paul replied on one occasion saying:

"These are the RCWs (recirculating widgets) we’ve posted about a few times.

They are still in development and will point across all articles in the coalition.

We are collecting data and working on a V2.

They do point to Maven sites from HP sites but that will change shortly."

This isn't what happened and they certainly don't point across all articles in the coalition.  It seems their only purpose is to gain views from us for Maven.  Not a happy camper.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing any loss in views.  In fact, my views are higher than they have ever been.

The loss of views is probably minimal for most people. It will be more pronounced for those who write in a niche and have a lot of articles that appear in the "Popular" section of the sidebar. That Popular section is removed and replaced with links or ads for Maven.

Even if it doesn't equate to real lost traffic for an individual writer, it is still funneling readers away from the niche sites and sending them elsewhere.

While this certainly looks on the surface like it takes earnings away from Hubbers in order to prop up Maven writers, who knows?  Maybe this is part of an overall ad strategy that somehow benefits HP writers. That's certainly possible, and we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

But many of us remember the bad old days, and its only natural to be nervous about things that seem detrimental to the success HP has seen over the past couple of years.

Yup, and from the bad ol' days, we've learned that cross-linking unless directly related is a no-go. And when it is directly related, link from within the article. Side-wide links on the sidebar should only be for the respective domain.

12. Chriswillman90 profile image93
    Chriswillman90posted 5 years ago

My views tanked today, I'm not sure if it's because of these changes but this is pretty alarming.

13. profile image0
    lambservantposted 5 years ago

What is Maven?

Maven owns HubPages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)