What are some good suggestions for getting traffic to your articles?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image94
    Deb Vesco Robertsposted 5 years ago

Aside from sharing my article links on Facebook, what are some tried and true ways of increasing traffic/reads to our articles?  I'm new; 3 weeks in, have 10 published and featured articles so far. 

I'm trying to figure out what the number on my profile photo means exactly.  I know it's a score of some sort, but what constitutes a reputable score and what causes it to increase or decrease?  It's an 89 as of today. 

Thanks so much!

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Try to define the subject of your articles in a phrase with two or three words that people are likely to use in searches. Then use that phrase in your article title and text.

Deb Vesco Robertsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I didn't even think about using the phrase throughout the article as well as the title...very good point!  I will do some edits!
        Thank you!
        Deb

1. profile image0
          promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad I can help. Just be careful about how often you repeat the phrase. Too often is called "keyword stuffing", which search engines don't like.

That's a term I've never heard of before!  So sort of like overkill in a sense?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
              lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Look at what people are searching for and once you know what people are looking for write naturally, you then will automatically include the phrase while you write, without going overboard.

Yeah, it's exactly like overkill.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages. Most of us get our traffic from search engines, mainly Google. In order to do this your titles need to be somewhat related to what people type into search engines when they look for something you're article covers. If you want to get into the depts of SEO for Hubpages, take a look at the guide I wrote, which you can find on my profile.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask.

Apart from SEO, you should also look into Made for Pinterest images, take a look at this hub by Susannah https://toughnickel.com/self-employment … -Pinterest

The number on your profile picture does not account for much. It's got many factors that go into it, the greatest one in my opinion being the average hub score that you find on your stats page https://hubpages.com/my/hubs/stats

But the average hub score varies and it's not something you should focus on. Basically, ignore any scores that are Hubpages related. Get your hubs moved to niche sites and I see you got a few already. That's the most important step.

These are very helpful links, thank you!  All by one of my hubs are on niche sites but I understand that I need to be persistently trying to improve them in order to keep them there, correct?

It sounds like the hub scores change as the traffic patterns change if I'm understanding that correctly.

I'm checking your guide out now.  Thank you again!
      Deb

3. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

That little number under your image is your hubber score. Do not worry about it as it has not impact on your traffic.
    You are already doing the right thing as far as traffic. You are writing good articles that are being moved to niche sites (Hubpages parallel web sites). If an article is not considered good enough to move, such as the first one you wrote, it is not going to get much traffic. The articles that are moved may not get much more for a long time, but at least they have better potential.
    So how do you increase your page views? Write more articles, make each of them as comprehesive as you can so that it will be moved, and in time, maybe a few months, more likely a few years, you will start seeing better traffic from the search engines. I do not know your background but if you are knowledgeable in a specific field it is best to concentrate in that area too.
    Best of luck.

These are very helpful suggestions, thank you!  I've written 9 (in 3 weeks) and 8 are on the parallel sites already and that first one is being reviewed for Wander Wisdom, so I think that's a decent start here.  I will check my titles for better key, searchable terms...thank you!

My background is very diverse and I have many topics swimming in my head and others that I've written on my personal blog over the years that I can revamp and submit as well...lots of different topics, so I pretty much wrote something different with each submission. 

I'm about to submit several more that each relate to many of my other submissions and will try and limit my topic diversity.  My article that got the most hits, was the one I least expected anything out of; go figure!

Thank you again for your help!
      Deb

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like you are doing a good job! Sometimes I am still surprised by articles that I liked, but didn't expect to do that well. It's hard to know what people will be interested in.

It's good to diversify. I have several niches, and it makes writing more interesting. You can get any decent article on a niche. Just be sure it fits the guidelines. Grammar and punctuation are important. As you write more, Google begins to recognize you more. Best wishes to you and welcome!

4. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

Be sure to read and learn all you can on writing titles too. A good title will make a big difference in search and how often your article is clicked on.
    Your FIP article, for example, will probably not be clicked on much because it just looks like someone writing an article about their cat. Most people do not care about your pet like you do. If you want to help your reader, change the title to something like "FIP--A New Cure and How it Helped Our Cat"

5. Lovelli Fuad profile image93
    Lovelli Fuadposted 5 years ago

As a returning noob, results have been positive from Pinterest. The majority of my views came from Pinterest, LinkedIn and Twitter.  Up till last week (drop in traffic) I was generating 30 to 50+ vews per day for some of my articles. I have written 11 so far. The last couple of days I'm getting 0 to 10 views!

The horror.. My reader's average time on page is 0 second now! I learned this from Google Analytics. Unless I promote hubs actively on forums or blast them on my feeds I just am getting close to nothing...

I've been quietly following on what everybody is talking about here in our community, reading the articles and how-tos, but I just haven't had any luck with my SEO.

6. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image94

When you say Pinterest, how are you going about sharing your blogs there exactly?  I hate Twitter, but I reactivated my account and have posted a few of mine on there publicly...who knows who sees them lol?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I personally do not have a Pinterest account and do not share my images there. I just make sure that the images I use are good and I depend on my readers to share it. So far it works well. There are others who create boards and upload stuff and gain a following, but I find that too much work.

7. Lovelli Fuad profile image93

It's quite easy, actually. I create a board for all of my Hubpages articles, and I showcase the board on my Pinterest page. This is very basic of me...

You can do so much more if you have lots of great images in one hub. You can now pin all your hub images into a "section" of your board (for a specific topic), and then create another section for the next article.

Like Lobobrandon said, you can look into Made for Pinterest images - Susannah's article is on point - and promote your content so that others could also pin them on their board.

I joined Facebook blogger groups for promoting boards middle of this year, and it's been quite helpful. Haven't found a group for Twitter promotion, but don't delete your Twitter.. it could help someone out there, Deb.

1. ziyena profile image91
      ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well, Lovelli ...  it just so happens that I'm a huge foodie fan on Pinterest and I've just pinned your South East Asia Breakfast to my Decadent Palette Board ... Every lil bit does help  smile  and yes, it's much too easy - every day I get traffic returns from Pinterest, especially if you have a really cute, pretty or unusual pic - aesthetics work!  Cheers and Happy Hubbing

8. Lovelli Fuad profile image93

Ok yes - Cheers

9. Deb Vesco Roberts profile image94

Thank you!  I have 13 articles featured so far and most are on a niche site already, so I'm pretty stoked.  I made 34 cents in September and am over $11 for October lol. It's a start! I have a mind swirling with stuff to write about, so diversity has not been a problem...which is obvious if you look at my content thus far smile I have only 2 followers and my plan this week is to work on "being a follower" and finding some bloggers/content that I connect with. I also have lots of content on my personal blog that I can quickly morph into something good for HubPages too, so lots to work with in the coming months. This has been a very fun experience. Thanks for the warm welcome!

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Best of luck with your new venture! Things might be a bit slow to start with but keep at it. 
      Once you're established in your niche, or niches, and settled on a successful structure/template for your articles, the trick is to persist, get your name known and associated with quality writing and solid informative material. Onward and upward.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)