Half deaf

Jump to Last Post 1-49 of 49 discussions (79 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Yep as the title says today I am half deaf. It's really weird. All I did was went swimming Sunday night with my friends and did a few flips under the water. And now I am half deaf sad

My husband checked out my ears and my ear drum is fine, no holes or anything. It's so weird being half deaf. Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

1. Kadmiels profile image52
      Kadmielsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is why we are only allowd to repeat half of what we hear smile

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. Anti-Valentine profile image74
          Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've got a joke about this.

Why do women have double the word count per day that men do?

Because they have to repeat everything!

This is true for my dad anyway.

1. profile image0

LMAO that's funny Anti

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Yes, my doctor used a Kirby and then put in a tube.

3. profile image0

put in a tube? Used a Kirby? you're gonna have to tell me more.

4. TamCor profile image77
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

I would guess earwax buildup--I've had that happen many times, unfortunately.

It just needs flushed out.  First time, I went to the doctor, but after that, I just did it myself.

You can buy earwax remover, like Debrox, or Murine, I believe.  I usually use sweet oil, a few drops in the ear to soften the wax, then I flush it out with hydrogen peroxide, using a small bulb syringe.

Sometimes you have to do it several times a day, for a few days, but it always works for me!

Just be careful not to force the peroxide in really hard--gentle squeezes will usually do the job!

5. profile image0

Thanks Tam but he checked and it's not ear wax.

6. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 14 years ago

half deaf stinks...the only time it happend to me after swimming, it turmned into an ear infection so bad ....go to the Dr.,  if hthat isnt an option try the stuff for swimmers ear.It gets all foamy and hot, and then you feel better. I forget what it scalled, but you can get it at most any drug store. good luck!

7. profile image0

oooo I hope it's not a stupid ear infection. Thanks rednckwomn...I'll definitely check it out. I'll be calling the doc today too.

1. profile image0
      rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thats good. It is prolly not an ear infection. all I meant was, it can turn into one.

8. profile image0

sad no ear infection no! lol I will get my arse moving on it so it doesn't become one.

9. profile image0

LOL, he used a vacuum to suck out the water that would not drain thru the auditory canal that leads down to your throat. then he put in a tube to drain it. I just say he used a Kirby cause that's what it felt like and when it opened it froze my tonsils.

1. profile image0

I had an abcess on my tonsil once....

10. profile image0

ew it froze your tonsils? no no no no I'll try the other ways before I go that route...ew ew ew ew ew ew

11. profile image0

Well, ya want your hearing back? hehe good luck now.

12. profile image0

thanks ralwus...you scared me now lmao I blame you! ;lol:

13. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Put a few drops of rubbing alcohol or cheap vodka in your ear. It sounds like you have some water in there and the alcohol will dry it out.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's an innovative and Cheap Way to get Drunk! lol

14. profile image0

thanks Irohner I'll have to try that smile appreciate the help peeps!

15. profile image0

Just did the rubbing alcohol in the ear and OMG it tickled and was coooold. lol but nope didn't work sad Maybe I need to leave it in longer?

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup.

1. profile image0

Or maybe wait a litel longer for results. My second daughter jsut had something like this happen, and didnt relly notice any difference till the next day.

1. profile image0

I'll do it again later on and then wait for tomorrow...I hope it goes away and my right ear stops compensating...lol

1. profile image0

I know it's off the subject, but isn't it funny how your body compensates like that? Like, you dont even have to think about it, it just happens.

1. profile image0

Yea it is funny...and weird lol...but I hate it because now everything is extra loud. sad lmao i'm going to go deaf soon I swear! hahaha

1. profile image0

My husband really is going deaf. It took me about a year, to figure out he asnt just ignoring me.(all the time..) He truly didnt hear me. Its awful!!! I do hope youll go to your Dr. Is it a millitary Dr. ?

1. profile image0

No thankfully I can go to a Dr CLOSER to where I live unlike my hubby who has to go to the nearest military dr office which just happens to be close to the LAX lmao I have to call and get a doctor...ugh it's such a pain dealing with them because they give al ist and then a lot of times those doctors aren't even in the area. go figure!

1. profile image0

Well, glad its closer. Lists suck. Hope you get some results soon.  smile

2. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This reminds me of my late father-in-law.  He always had an "ear thing", and that man was always dumping one thing or another into that ear.  lol  He had some weird stuff called, "King of the World"  lol   That was one of his favorites.   Whatever he dumped in, though, never worked.  I'd think, since you can pin it to swimming, it will probably clear up on its own.

16. profile image0

lol pearldriver. naw just helping me out with my ear issues

17. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Before you poke anything smaller than your elbow into your ears... If you wish to naturally drain them after swimming.. then you lie down on your side and lay your head flat to the bed (not a pillow).
    Stay there for 15 mins and then do the other side.

If that doesn't work for you... then use your elbow or get them professionally syringed.

18. Anti-Valentine profile image74
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

At least you'll still be able to chat to people on the forums even if you're deaf, or half-deaf. smile

1. profile image0

lmao Anti vert true but ugh it's annoying being half deaf...I'm not FULLY deaf in the left ear it's hard to explain but it bugs the *beep* outa me. sad

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, a couple of them are at least half dumb so it should be a good fit.

19. profile image0

It's like my right ear is trying to compensate for my left and everything is louder in my right. my poor ear drum is overworking lol

20. Anti-Valentine profile image74

Like you? wink

I've got a problem with my hearing as well. It comes and goes, and it started earlier this year. Tinnitus, I think. I got it after a loud noise, and my left ear hurt quite a bit.

1. profile image0

oooo Anti! You need to get it checked out.

21. Anti-Valentine profile image74

Aah, it's not that bad. In fact I was at the doctor the other day, and I didn't even bother to bring it up. I was sick- been coughing for like two months.

I'm so sick Crazdwriter. sad

1. profile image0

No not our Anti *HUGS*

2. profile image0

sad Sorry your sick. I got a cold about a week ago, second one this  year, and I even quit smoking!!!!! But the thing is, my ears have been all plugged up and Ive been coughing alot. What did you Dr say? Are you ok?

22. Anti-Valentine profile image74

Just the usual. It's winter where I am, but it'll be spring soon, and then it's hay fever season!

1. profile image0

No fun Anti no fun at all

2. profile image0

wel, its fall here, some hay fever still, and flu season is right around the corner!!! It never ends, huh?

23. Anti-Valentine profile image74

Never. Then there's summer, and you've got heat exhaustion. Autumn, or fall, is my favourite season, probably. My birthday is right at the beginning of the season.

24. Anti-Valentine profile image74

I thought you'd like it, seeing as I've seen you going on about how you HATE men! lol Just playing!

1. profile image0

*thhhhhhhhhpppppppppppp* lol

25. profile image0

"King of the World"? lol that sounds intersting Lisa. and yea it is starting to go away. I'm acutally going to use the rubbing alcohol one more time before bed and then be done smile

26. profile image0

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hearing was doing just fine last night after I did the whole rubbing alcohol...well actually I used hydrogen poroxide solution.

And I woke up back to being half deaf sad

27. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

at least you slept.....been sipping the scotch?

28. profile image0

lol oh boy here comes the drinking again lmao
    I actually had a glass of wine last night with my dinner. smile
    and yes I did sleep but it would be better if i knew what the *beep* is going on with my ear. sad

29. readytoescape profile image61

Remove the wine cork

30. profile image0

LMAO if it were only that easy it would be great but it isn't...went swimming and then my ear went half deaf yesterday and again today...I guess I'll have to call the doctor and make an appointment.

31. readytoescape profile image61

if you leave it on the pillow it can get stuck in your ear. had a nasty problem with an ice cube once

32. readytoescape profile image61

and a Doctor too, appears she didnt have a sense of humor,
    remember when i got slapped by the dog.......there ya go!

33. profile image0

lol readytoescape you are too funny.

34. readytoescape profile image61

thank you for the compliment. I learned from my mom you are what you eat (drink) evidently scotch gives you a different perspective.

sometimes from the floor up

35. profile image0

ouch I just pictured a personf alling flat on their face. owie! lol

36. Anti-Valentine profile image74

Or flat on their back.

37. profile image0

Very true Anti lol

well now my hearing is coming back in my left ear. UGH!

38. Anti-Valentine profile image74

I'll laugh if the hearing goes in your right ear now! lol

Sorry.

39. profile image0

Trust me I would be laughing too. and then groaning in aggrivation lol...wait nope hearing gone again in left ear sad

40. Anti-Valentine profile image74

Shame. How did this happen again? I can't remember, and I don't want to go through all the pages again. smile

Ah, I see. I checked finally. Swimming underwater.

41. profile image0

yep don't know why it has never happened to me before. sad

42. Anti-Valentine profile image74

My dad, when he was younger, went to the doctor because he had problems with his ears.

The doc asked, "You're a diver, aren't you?"
    "No doc, I swear!"
    "Are you sure?"
    "Positive."
    "Don't lie to me! I can tell you're a diver. You've got square ear canals!

That's how the discussion went, or so he told me.

Apparently from all the diving into the pool, it wrecked his ears. He has Tinnitus and has had hearing problems for most of his life.

43. profile image0

ooo poor daddy.

And the funny thing is I am not a diver at all. this was the first time I had been swimming for years.

44. Anti-Valentine profile image74

Funny thing that. All the redheads I've ever come across don't swim. I suppose because they're sensitive to the sun. wink

1. profile image0

lol I ain't no red head I only color my hair deep red because I love that color. I am a brown head and I love going in the sun but I have to be careful sicne I have so many moles.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image74
        Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm shattered. sad

45. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

I hope it's better now. I SAID I HOPE IT'S BETTER NOW.

1. profile image0

Thanks Pacal I wish it was better but it's not

46. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

could be nothing to do with the swimming, could have an ear infection.

1. profile image0

I really hope not...

47. profile image0

aaaaa sorry Anti...I am just not a real red head.

48. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

Don't worry. I'm an otolaryngologist. You'll get well soon. smile

1. profile image0

thanks Pacal. it comes and goes so I hope that tonight and tomorrow it'll get better.

49. profile image53
    tigang69posted 14 years ago

Hi to all i am Martin and i have read all your post and being here is really good and i have see so many interesting, i also want to share something that is related and it can really gives a help about the problem of ear/tinnitus, just click tinnitus remedy or tinnitus relief

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)