How do you make money with HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (91 posts)
  1. VVanNess profile image78
    VVanNessposted 5 years ago

Are you happy with your experience? I've been with HubPages for 5 years now. I have almost 500 articles and the majority of them are featured. I publish quite frequently and follow all of the rules. I post my articles to facebook and pinterest, I am part of Amazon Associates, and yet I make very little money each month (nothing from Amazon Associates). Yet I see many people making much more with much fewer articles. Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

1. ethel smith profile image81
      ethel smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Stacking of algorhithms?

2. robhampton profile image93
      robhamptonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nearly 500 articles..WOW! I wish, WISH I had the dedication you have. That is truly something to be proud of! I have been here nearly 9 years and I do seasonably well with the few articles I have (9 years and 28 articles? that's just pathetic lol). So reading your post, here's the best answer I can give to all questions. So, I write about  swimming pools, mostly "how to" articles. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. People in general want to save money so they turn to the internet. "How to" articles seem to do very well. I'm not saying that there are other topics that aren't frequently searched for, but from experience it seems that "how to do something" seems to bring in more traffic (I am a proudly certified YouTube car mechanic haha) I was getting ready to write an article, I still might, entitled "How does an endless or infinity edge pool work?" the truth is that it probably won't bring a ton of traffic. It's more of a "why is the sky blue" type of question. Now if I were to turn this into something like "what is the cost of building an infinite edge pool" or something like that, it may bring more traffic. As far as Amazon sales, I also do very well only because my niche usually draws people to purchase something for their pool.  In my opinion, "How to" articles are the way to go. The great thing about HubPages is that they have the ability to bring you a high ranking on Google. Just my experience and opinion. Again.. 500 articles! That is So awesome! I would definitely be over the $10k/month mark with that many!

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

People LOVE to shop for things on the web too. Writing big long things about great products which you can effectively express the greatness of with much detail, is also a winning strategy, IMO.

1. robhampton profile image93

True.. Very true!

2. CWanamaker profile image95
        CWanamakerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You hit the nail on the head.  Basically, if your article can solve a problem that people are having, it will get traffic.

3. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Something that would help you get more traffic, and therefore more earnings, is Pinterest. People love recipes over there. If I had your account I would:

- create a pin for each recipe (canva is free and easy)
      - add it to the end of your article
      - read up on how to create a good quality Pinterest profile and boards
      - learn some pinterest marketing tips (join group boards)
      - get pinning

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
        chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

First thing is, write articles that help people out. They want practical help, they want knowledge, they want how to...robhampton style...so you might have an area of expertise..if you have...second thing is ...work to find your niche. For example, I have always loved poetry so I started to analyse poems, wrote up lots of analytical articles, from 1000 words to 3500...and eventually built up a following. It took a lot of time and effort but eventually I got my reward. So third thing is PERSIST. Learn from other successful writers here on HP and don't forget to compete with then overtake your rivals for the top spots on Google. All the best!

4. Natalie Frank profile image91
      Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Hi Victoria -  I'm where you are.  I have been writing regularly and have 129 articles but make very little, needing to spend hours a week on marketing just to make payout each month.  I also make between 0 - 2 cents a day on Adsense and nothing from Amazon.  Of those I am aware of that make a good amount monthly, some have a niche that clearly serves a function for people either year round or seasonally.  Others, however, I can't figure out at all.  They are all excellent writers but their articles don't necessarily answer readers questions, aren't on topics that would go viral or are in an area that while interesting isn't something that would draw millions of readers. 

I don't know what the formula is for success, just know that I haven't found it yet.  I think the most important thing is finding questions that lots of readers are asking but that there aren't a ton of answers on - not easy to do.  I started trying to answer questions commonly searched for but which ultimately had a bunch of answers which didn't get me anywhere.  The other thing people are suggesting is when you find a question you feel that you can answer, make sure to answer it more completely than anyone else has.  Include info others don't, make it a more comprehensive, longer article than what's out there.  I try to make my articles comprehensive but don't usually spend enough time researching the competition to make sure that I do.  Hopefully both of us will discover what it is that we can do to make writing here more lucrative.  Best wishes for luck and success in the coming year.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

You should probably start doing keyword research before deciding to write an article. I do not do keyword research. I'm kinda dumb, and mostly a niche person. When the goal is income from web publishing though, you need to do keyword research, and you need to understand how to do keyword research too.

It's always the same sort of situation. Right now there is a hot topic for web searchers, and there aren't many decent pages about that topic which answer the searcher's questions.

To make the most money from publishing on the web, you need to be able to locate the hot topics where the competition is slim, and then you need only provide a better webpage product, answering questions more thoroughly, than the competition.

1. profile image0
        La Veeztaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What I wonder and never hear anyone talk about isn’t how many articles you need to make money but how many hours you invest- it seems to me if you kept track of your time you can’t make very much per hour at this. Does anyone track their time vrs what you make? Is it better than minimum wage?

From sometime in late summer 2014 up until around Christmas of 2016 - I never once even logged into any account I have on the internet. I still got paid every single month.

You can't really measure the time investment and figure it into an income because not all subjects are anywhere close to equal.

At one point I said, 'I'm going to write about major league baseball!' I invested some time in that, but the income from it has been very very low. So I had to decide that if I want to make money, I can't just write about whatever I've got on my mind at the time.

See, I don't think people do a lot of web searches for baseball players. I think they just go to the websites they already know to read about this person or that person.

A huge lot of women like to do recipe things here. I don't think those things do very well either, as folks already know of some big websites they can go to for those things, but also because there are SO MANY women writing those sorts of things.

Years ago there was a guy who at least convinced me that he knew this game better than most. He was talking about keyword researching. This guy said folks shouldn't look for the subjects with huge amounts of searches and few pages. He said every income motivated person on the web would soon be going after those subjects.

He said he thought it made more sense to look for things that have high amounts of searches, but not especially low competition. His theory was that most people just sort of half ass things, and so what is best is to simply offer something better than your competition.

If I had been as serious about this stuff as I am now, even five years ago - I'd be making over a grand a month from it. Some of my old stuff does well still; but most of my old hubpages aren't anywhere to be found any more.

8 years ago a man with 22 articles was averaging over $100/day. We knew this was true because the staff told us it was, and they did a great big interview with the guy, and he wrote extensively on how to make money with articles on the web.

He said, 'Well, if you aren't doing keyword research, you aren't interested in the contents of this page to begin with. Don't read any further.'

LOL

Myself, I just looked at what was getting me a lot of traffic, and I decided that it would just be dumb to not work on that niche, as I already know I can do that better than the other subjects I've tried to do.

1. profile image0

Thanks Wes, that is very helpful. I really appreciate your taking the time to explain so much. I’m still thinking about writing but I’ve been reluctant because I see so many hubber’s with complaints about management. Maybe I will try your approach and see how I do. $100/day is 36,500 a year. I wonder how much time it takes a week to maintain that from the start. Even at full time that’s a decent return but I suppose once you get to that level it doesn’t require much time to maintain. Could that be done in one year?

1. Natalie Frank profile image91
              Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It really has nothing to do with time and everything to do with traffic and CPM rates which are individual.  If your articles get lots of traffic and you get lots of impression you will make money.  But you will never earn $100 a day from the start - that was just one individual a while back and the fact that HP made a huge deal out it and interviewed should tell you it is not the norm.  I'm not sure if anyone here is making $100 a day currently, maybe but I doubt they keep it up day in and day out all year long.  I could be wrong though. It is more the case that people work regularly at it over time and slowly build up enough to make payout every month - that is $50 a month.  If you can leverage Amazon you could make more but that means having a niche where you can advertise things that people need, are high enough price items that your small percentage amounts to a decent amount, and are things they can't just walk into a store and buy.  The best advice I think is to learn SEO and use it, then write in a niche that people have questions about.  Then you will begin to earn something which will hopefully increase over time.

Well, 3 or 4 months ago Paul brought up how PayPal would only let you deposit ten thousand dollars at a time into someone's account. Paul had learned this because someone here had earned over ten thousand dollars for the month.

Of course Paul wasn't going to tell us who that person was. He merely gave a screen shot of the stats from the person's account. From there a lot of people speculated on the matter of which person had made that much money.

Someone put a person forth as the likely big earner. It was not someone I'd ever seen before in these forums.

Anyway, after Paul did some bragging on the mystery person, he went on to talk about how extremely thorough the big earner was. Every page the person did had just about every iota of detail you could need. And he mentioned the big earning person was extremely niche specific.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image95
                  EricFarmer8xposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I too remember reading about. I spent a lot time thinking about this. Some people don't make this kind money with their own website and brand and with complete control.

I find it amazing still somebody can make this kind of money writing for a platform that is not their own.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
                    DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Several months ago I was researching some of the top rated dog blogs on Google. When I looked at traffic figures, I was amazed that most of them were getting less page views in a month than I get in a week.
                    100% of small monthly income from a blog is less than 60% from a well performing group of pages on a good niche site.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

If I make it to averaging a thousand a month, I'll feel like I'm one hell of a success.

VVanNessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

By the way, I'm pretty sure DrMark is that person. wink

2. profile image0

I understand making money with Hubpages doesn’t have anything to do with time spent but whether or not this is s good way to make money has everything to do with time spent. My time is valuable and I don’t have a lot to spare. If I were to do this I would record the time it takes for me to spend on the learning process, maintaining and managing the articles which would include answering comments, dealing with moderation and the average time it takes for me to identify a topic and write an article. I am entertaining other ways to make some extra money so I need a way to compare them. I see since iit appears no one really keeps track of that and I can see why. I understand articles once completed and up can generate an income for years and there are a lot of variables that have to be done right to achieve that so I guess if I try this I’ll just have to track my own time for say 6 months and see what my income growth rate is over time and try to project what I might be making after a year, rwo years or more if I keep producing the same quality articles through the future. I wish after all the years they have been doing this HP could give you an idea or at least a range of what kind of hourly wage could be expected based on time you put in. I mean if the best case scenario is $15/hr or $100/ hr I’d have an idea of whether I’d want to give it a try so I wonder why they don’t give you an idea. Making money writing is great but how many make enough to make it worth your time? No one knows but I keep hearing tons have left so I wonder, is that the indicator that tells me it’s not worth the time it takes to be successful

You need to understand that there is no way to track this and provide those kinds of statistics as what each person makes is vastly different based on a huge number of variables.  You have some people who write once in a blue moon and aren't very active with the site who may make nothing, others who just make the payout each month, others who do well but spend a ton of time updating and marketing articles vs writing articles so they have a lower number of articles but perhaps a higher income, some with fewer articles who have a high income as they have the knowledge to write on a popular niche and some who are SEO experts who simply know how to write well and address factors Google searches for who make a good income.  Depending on what you write about and how much you know know or don't know about SEO you my not be earning anything yet or very little within the first six months.

1. profile image0

You can’t tell me HP can’t go through the statistics and pick an average scenario and maybe a best case scenerio where they can say for example on average or best case so many articles, 200, over the course of 5 years can generate so much money per year. I can figure my time to create an article myself and so determine if I’m as good as the average Hubber with 200 articles or maybe equal to the best for the time it takes me. Then I can determine reasonable goals or if I even want to try this. How many hubber’s make how much on average per article? I mean they have all the stats, it would be easy to give a newbie some indication of what it takes as an average of writers here to succeed. Is there anywhere I can find that sort of info? If not I wonder why not?

You have been on this site over a year and have done nothing. If you really need extra money you need to go out and get a job.

2. theraggededge profile image97
                      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

On your bio you go to great lengths to tell us how awful HubPages is. You say you've decided not to write here because of some bad reviews and that the forums are full of 'left-wing loons'.

You also make some comments about the lack of transparency regarding earnings--one thing I know, is that HubPages has always been transparent about earnings. If you bother reading the FAQs and ToS you will discover how it works.

You have no articles here so why would you care about average hubs to earnings ratios?

It's not about how much you write or how well you write. There is no meaningful average.

I've been here 9 years and seen people who knew how to choose things to write about make a lot of money with very few articles. I've seen others write hundreds and even thousands of articles with no clue how to research topics and titles do very, very poorly.

One side of this is about writing. The other side is topic selection and understanding your audience.

Yes it's a punt. Each article is like a lottery ticket - it may do well or it may not. You can increase your odds if you know how to do keyword research but that takes a willingness to learn. 

You can spend time learning how to choose topics and write for the web which takes commitment and perseverance. Without those you are unlikely to do well.

When I started I committed to writing one hub per week. That was very doable around my full time job.

There is nothing shady about Hubpages. They want as many hubbers to do well as possible.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

I'm 'bi-polar' as can be. For whatever that is worth. I used to always think the staff here hated me.

Well, one time I did get an email saying I was at my last chance here, and that were I to be vicious towards anyone else here, I was done for.

I can agree that I can be very mean to people on the internet. I'm sometimes even sorry for it. Usually I'm not. The extent of my meanness has been calling someone an ass or something. I'm not the guy who stalks people or sends nasty anonymous threats or anything like that.

Here's the deal though:

1. Hubpages has changed a whole lot over the years, and there have been a lot of staff who've gone on to other things. So whenever someone tells you something general like how 'the staff' or management is mean or whatnot, just remember a lot of those persons have gone.

Hubpages is never going to say, 'we fired so and so.' Well, probably some folks were fired. Paul and Robin, etc, are classy enough to not state those kinds of things.

2. Also relevant to the issue of staff or management is that this place used to be a WHOLE LOT more of a social network. I wish it would return to that sort of thing, as there were a lot more members. At the same time, a huge lot of members will get us a lot of persons going about being vicious to others. Kinda like I can be vicious.

A lot of members posting not so great content in the forums, as hubs, and comments required there to be a lot more staff who were basically internet babysitters. Did you ever see the old Q&A section? I loved that place. So far as I know, I'm the only person to have had a badge thingy for having answered more than five thousand questions.

They got rid of the old Q&A, and they took my digital badge away too. Well, sadly, the place was mostly full of the dumbest questions you could imagine. Every day some nitwit would ask, 'what is love?'

If someone can make a buck a day writing 3rd rate articles and using this place instead of Facebook, hey, that's much better than Facebook. When Google started lowering Hubpages ranks in searches because there were so many 3rd rate pages on the site, Hubpages responded by de-indexing pages which weren't up to a certain level of quality.

When something is indexed, that means that something is available in Google search. So pages that are de-indexed (which staff here does have control over) - the page no longer will appear in Google search.

A page being indexed is the same exact same as being 'featured' here. So if you hear someone talk about indexing and then you hear someone else talking about something being featured or not, they are talking about the exact same thing.

A lot of people felt completely insulted whenever one of their pages would be de-indexed. I've got friends on Facebook who still bitch about hubpages de-indexing their stuff. That was just good business. Hubpages is going to do what it has to do to stay competitive. For some people that is staff being 'mean.' But it is really just business.

3. Payday. - Paul was clearly sad about it the ONE time I remember when something happened, and we didn't get paid on the 28th of whatever month it was. He apologized to everyone profusely. He's a great business guy. He says he's going to pay you when you reach X amount on X day, and he does that. The only time it didn't happen, there was an issue out of his control, and we all got paid the very next day.

1. ziyena profile image91
                ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hey Wes ... just curious.  Does the staff send a notice when you have been de-indexed or do you just find out because your numbers drastically drop? 

I'm not really up to snuff on the things that go on behind the scenes nor on SEO ... I've missed out on all the changes since my few breaks from writing and still in that learning process at times.  Any info or tips would be appreciated.

No, they don't email you about that. You just look at your stats. Look all the way over to the right. There is a column there which tells you which of your things is featured, and which are not.

If something is featured (which is the same as being indexed, and available in Google search results) then there is a round symbol with an H inside of it.

If something of yours becomes unfeatured, that doesn't necessarily mean the article was all bad, it may just mean the article could be done more thoroughly. Just add some information to the thing, and usually it becomes featured again within a day or two.

So far as search engine optimizing your pages goes, these days having good subtitles over your text capsules - subtitles with very relevant keywords, is still very very important. What you don't want to do, however, is over do all of that.

So what I'm doing now is not doing that sort of thing except for text capsules. When I add a video or an image, I don't do it. For an image I'll provide text in the caption.

Also, amazon capsules are pretty much out. You don't' want to use those. What you want to use are links to amazon as anchor text. Ad blockers can not block your anchor text amazon links, but they totally block amazon capsules.

Ok, I guess I got confused with what was being discussed.  The latter info - I knew already, it was just a matter of terminology.  Thanks

Yeah, sorry.  Your thread got hijacked and I didn't realize I wasn't responding to the OP.

2. DrMark1961 profile image97

As far as the time writing I can answer yes, I make much more than minimum wage. I am still earning off of articles I wrote in 2012.
          As far as all of the time I am logged in here, probably not. I am not getting anything for writing this at the moment, so if I count this as work it is not earning anything. (I am having a cup of coffee and relaxing since I just dropped a tool on my head when working on a fence where my sheep were getting out this morning. I do not consider this work.)

6. Jeremy Gill profile image92
      Jeremy Gillposted 5 years ago

Here's a few tips:
      1. Conduct SEO research on topics. I've found that some subjects simply tend to fare better than others in terms of traffic.

2. Always try to land on the niche sites. Huge boost in readership.

3. I've found that exploring popular topics in unique ways is useful. For example, everyone loves movies, but there are so many film reviews available that it's tough to get yours to stand out. But if you can discuss a movie in a way no one else does, you're covering a popular (and searchable) area with an individualized angle that helps your writing stand out.

7. EricDockett profile image96
      EricDockettposted 5 years ago

You've gotten some very good advice in this thread and the other one. I just wanted to comment on the time thing.

I've found it's not very helpful to measure time spent on HubPages by an hourly rate, as though you were trading labor for money. That's what you do at a job--you trade your time and effort for money.

Even most freelance writers do that. They work on a piece for x number of hours, get paid a set amount and move on to the next job.

On HubPages, it might make you feel better to think of your writing as like an investment. You are investing time and effort--your labor--in hopes that it will pay off later.

One successful article will bring in earnings for years into the future. Every minute of every day those coins are plinking in, no matter what you are doing, and in some cases they can add up to much, much more than a good freelancer might expect for one article.

Of course in some cases it can be much less as well, which is why it is smart to follow the rest of the advice people are giving you on SEO and topic choices.

Once your have a hundred or several hundred successful articles you'll have a portfolio of HubPages investments that will pay off as long as the site is around. You need to check in on them every now and then, freshen them up and add new info. But otherwise they just keep on chugging.

The best part is you get to do something you love (writing) hopefully about a topic you love.

I guess I also want to comment on the staff thing. I can't remember if you asked about it in this thread or the other one. Yes, there are complaints about some of the things management does, and I have done a fair amount of complaining myself.

However, I think it's important to separate the complainers who want to see the site be the best it can be from the disgruntled who hate the site. The latter group, from what I can tell, is very few these days.

HubPages has always been receptive to writers voicing their concerns. If something is off we let them know. Sometimes they fix it. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes there are things going on behind the scenes we don't know about.

The staff here is fantastic. Even the editors, who many of us have complained about on many occasions. HubPages has a lot of moving parts, and it can't be easy to keep everything humming smoothly. Mistakes happen. Even bad decisions, sometimes. But overwhelmingly they do a great job, and there has never been a better time to write here.

1. profile image0

Eric thank you so much for courteously addressing my concerns. And thanks to the others who have tried to help me understand how to approach this. I don’t understand why when I ask questions that I have from observations I’ve made why some feel they have to attack me personally.

My biggest problem is although I like the challenge of writing articles to make money I only have about two hours a day to give this and although I understand it takes talent, doing your homework and time I just need to figure out if this is likely to be productive for me. I can’t just sit down day after day for as long as it takes when the whim hits me to produce whatever which sounds like what a lot of you do so maybe you can understand I’m not trying to be critical or difficult by asking the questions I do. I get it if you love writing why boil it down to what you make per the time it takes but I just don’t have that luxury at this time. Considering that I think you all would agree this isn’t the way I should go, maybe after I retire and have nothing else to do, huh.

8. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

If someone asked me how long it takes to write an article, I'd probably tell them two weeks. I'm just not in any kind of hurry to publish things now. It might take me an entire two hours to compose something, but I spend around two weeks thinking about it.

I'm usually just done with it then. I don't touch it again unless formatting changes require it. Like when they got rid of the floating capsule. I loved the floating capsule, by the way. I didn't like that change at all. It doesn't seem to matter any now.

I used to absolutely feel like I had to reply to every comment. I don't feel like that now at all. Basically, I said whatever I said in the article. There's no need for me to reply to anything. I don't accept angry or insulting comments. I don't accept any comment that isn't on the subject. Every once in a while I'm feeling more friendly than usual, and I will then reply to comments. You don't have to do that though.

1. profile image0

Wes, you sound like an enigma to me! And that’s a good thing. Not many people I encounter are as willing to be as open about how they feel about themselves as you are. You are someone I would trust, and when it comes to the internet I trust no one.

9. Rupert Taylor profile image95
      Rupert Taylorposted 5 years ago

La Veezta - You do seem to have more than your fair share of issues. Me? I don't have issues except perhaps that I'm filled with left-wing hate, lies, and misinformation. I acquired my lack of integrity, honesty, and reasoning ability through painstakingly pursuing my craft as a writer over 50 years. Clearly, I must have been brainwashed by grizzled editors who instilled in me the gift of writing fake news. I am so glad you, La Veezta, have come along to point out where I've gone wrong all my life. I do note your body of work seems a little thin but clearly you possess the penetrating intellect needed to spot a phony when one crosses your path.

My apologies to the original poster for hijacking your forum question but this is a matter so redolent of timely and apposite advice I felt I couldn't let it pass.

1. Teeuwynn Woodruff profile image93
        Teeuwynn Woodruffposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Rupert, well spoken, sir. Perhaps all those years of practice haven't gone to waste. Maybe if other people did more research and work they could do as well.

2. profile image0

Rupert, I don’t know you, never chatted with you, I know nothing about you but you sound terrible! It’s nice however to see another Hubber like Wes who isn’t afraid to share how he feels about himself. That’s a start to being a better person.

1. theraggededge profile image97

You obviouly don't recognise irony, LV. Rupert was repeating back your own description of (some) hubbers.

So, yes, it sounded terrible. They are your words, not his.

Now, do what Natalie suggests and leave this thread to the OP.

10. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

Providing a solution to a problem that people are searching for is what Internet search is best at. Think about how you use it. If you have a solution to a problem that a significant number of people are searching for, but few are providing a good answer for, that's pure gold.

1. profile image0

Hey, Sherry, it doesn’t say on my window who you are replying to but I get it - would that be the way to have an article go viral? How much money would an article make if it went viral and say snagged 5,000,000 hits?

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
          Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was replying to the original question by VVanNess. I have no idea how much you'd make if you had 5,000,000 hits, but I have had smaller successes. It is a lot more likely that you can find a solution to a problem that has not been addressed that 100,000 people have. That is a niche. If you can find a good one, or more than one, you won't strike it rich, but you may be on your way to earning some regular money.

2. theraggededge profile image97

Click on Chronological, top right.

My average is around $3,500 per million views (which is quite low due to the topics I write about).

Remember the 60/40 split with HP though.

That figure actually relates to my portion - 600,000 views.

Roger that  smile

2. DrMark1961 profile image97

Mine is about the same. You might make a little more per view writing about acne, but then again I doubt you would have over 10 million views.

1. Susana S profile image91

Acne...thanks for the topic idea!

It used to be that I would get higher earnings for less views when I wrote hubs about products. I used to have one hub that averaged over $100 per month with about 50 views.

You must do well with product sales given your niche?

Yes, I usually include shampoos or other over the counter meds that I consider helpful. As I mentioned to Rob though the commission is usually in the cents, not the dollars.
                (Now if only I could put in an Amazon link to some miracle product that clears up acne, treats mesothelioma from asbestos, and teaches you how to make money on the internet. Everyone would want to buy that.)

That would tick all the boxes for sure lol

Are there any products in the $50-100 range that pet owners need? You could do a comparison of a few and maybe get some sales for higher priced items.

3. Butterfly67 profile image89
            Butterfly67posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Gosh that sounds quite good to me! I have just hit 1 million views and my total is about $2500! I did have adsense only turned on for a bit but that looks like only a couple of hunded extra for that time.

That's pretty good. It's a shame some topics have a lot of traffic volume but not a great amount of advertising money!

4. robhampton profile image93

2.8M views since I joined. Apprx. $16,500 total earnings.

That is a good average. Does it include Amazon sales?

1. robhampton profile image93

Yes, Amazon included

You probably have much better Amazon sales than many of us. (I know how expensive it is to upkeep a pool, so buying a new chemical or other product is part of the deal.) Most of my sales are shampoos, muzzles, etc, for which the sales commission is usually about 80 cents!

2. lobobrandon profile image88
              lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nice. I pretty much have a very similar average. 7.4k USD for a total of near 1.4 million views. also made me realize that in the views rose quickly this time. I hit 1 million only after Easter.

This does not include any Amazon earnings before I joined the HP Amazon program last year, not any Adsense cheques.

That's good. It's all the products you sell!

I'm glad HP are allowing a few of my product hubs onto the niche sites. That should increase my income quite a bit.

11. ethel smith profile image81
      ethel smithposted 5 years ago

That’s great advice

12. Natalie Frank profile image91

Okay, it's time someone said the obvious in clearer terms - La Veezta this is not your thread.  You have hijacked it and need to stop posting on it unless you are answering or discussing the original post.  This is VVanNess's thread which you have taken over.  If you want to continue along these lines start your own thread with your questions and issues and let VVanNess get back to her discussion. But please stop attacking other hubbers who have been here for years and who go out of their way to be helpful to hubbers, especially new ones, under the guise of explaining how everyone is attacking you. 

Everyone is simply trying to explain over and over and over again why it is the statistics you want can't be calculated in a meaningful manner.  The bottom line is that the best thing you can do if you want such stats is to decide to commit to writing here for a certain period of time, say six months, and keep track of your own stats.  Maybe track how many hours you are spending a week writing, average time it takes you to write an article, how many are featured immediately, how many aren't and how much revision time they average, how many have been transferred to niche sites and how much money, if any, all that translates into over the course of those six months.  That would make much more sense than wasting time asking an unanswerable question repeatedly on the forums while complaining about how terrible everyone is not to answer you.

P.S. I assume you already have an Adsense account from a personal blog or website.  If you don't plan on a minimum of six months and 10 featured articles before you are even eligible to begin earning.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'd suggest that your suggested time frame is unreasonable.  Unless one is an experienced writer on the internet, or extremely lucky, it will take far longer than that to see any kind of reasonable return.  I once estimated my earnings per hour, and it took years to average more than pennies per hour for the total hours and total income.  It was months, and likely over 1,000 hours of work before I got my first payout!

1. profile image0

Careful you didn’t Hijack the thread wilderness for actually answering my question, about how much an hour could I expect to make! I really appreciate what you just said which was all I wanted to know and what everybody said you can’t figure out.

If it takes years to average pennies per hour, and you seem to be pretty intelligent from what I have read of your comments this is not anything I would be interested in trying.

A-shame I had to “hijack” a thread and endure unrelated comments to to get an answer to a simple question, “how much per hour can I expect to make?” which was related to the topic of this thread. You are one of the sane ones here wilderness for sure. Bye bye.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

One hub of mine has paid me more than 800 USD an hour if that helps. But when writing on the internet for yourself, this is not a metric you should use to calculate anything. You should have a stable job or income source to survive in the real world and use your spare time to work online until you are sure that you have a stable income online. Even after that, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Yep looking at earnings per hour is pretty worthless.

At the beginning the hourly rate is very low and then over time it increases to sometimes silly amounts.

My most popular hub has earned about $25,000 for around 10 hours work - at this point in time.

Assuming it carries on in the same way the income continues to increase while the hours worked stays the same.

That is the beauty of a passive income.

I know you know this Brandon just reiterating for the person you replied to.

I'm not surprised that it got you so much, but it still makes me go wow smile

2. VVanNess profile image78

I'm so glad you posted here! Thank you for your great article on improving my hubs that DrMark recommended. I'm slowly working through all of that but it's a lot to take in. If you're willing to take a look at my page, and make suggestions, I would be very grateful. I have been here five years, have almost 500 articles, make an average of $65 a month from Hubpages, but have never made a dime from Amazon or Adsense.

13. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

And CPMs increasing at the moment.

This month will be best payday yet. Persistence pays off.

There's a saying isn't there? Something about... a year from now you'll wish you had started today.

Yes persistence and patience are definite requirements for this game!

That's a very true saying. Just think if we'd all never tried, never given it a solid chance.

No! That alternative reality is too bleak.

2. VVanNess profile image78

Absolutely! The money I make per month never would have happened if I'd never gotten started. At least it's something.

14. Erudite Scholar profile image59
      Erudite Scholarposted 5 years ago

I have 20 articles and am yet to make a payout.

But you have 0 on the niche sites. Improve your articles and get them moved to the niche sites, that's step 1.

You said something like that in the article I read from you. How do you know which articles are on niche sites?

15. Natalie Frank profile image91

I'm at about what others are earning - $3400 - $3500 per million views.

16. Natalie Frank profile image91

Look at your list of articles on your profile page.  Above each is a capitalized heading in small blue type which will specify a niche site or a topic area.  If it's just a topic area it's still on HP while the others are obviously on niche sites.  So for example, my newest article published about a week ago is "Are Ghosts and Spirits Real? Psychology Fails to Explain the Paranormal" and above it in small blue type is says PARANORMAL LEGEND AND LORE which means it's still on HP, while an article from about a week and a half ago "Air Pollution Leads to “Huge Reduction” in Intelligence, New Research Reveals," has SOAPBOXIE.COM in small blued letters signifying it's been moved to a niche site.

Oh, nice! Thanks!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)