The core of discord

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Jessie L Watson profile image65
    Jessie L Watsonposted 5 years ago

What I see happening with politics on social media is people carrying on not about what they actually think about a particularly complex problem, but what they think other peoples thoughts are on the issue and then infer some sort of character flaw from it. Its the only resort for the profoundly ignorant.

[My thing has always been to look at the problem at the center of all these problems. So, allow me to play the devil's hypocrite. Its no secret that I'm an a**hole too]

I've kept myself from engaging here for the sole purpose of not lowering myself to the level of disgust with people I consider friends. Because that's what this big charade does to us. It encourages people to speak and behave in ways that resemble nothing like our actual selves. We aggregate into these stupid groups, regurgitating the same pundits over and over again, then assume some moral or intellectual superiority.

I know people who would like to think they are moral exemplars of the community but their conduct on Social Media is pure malevolence. Malevolence tends to hide within the shells of people with the biggest halos. Bill Cosby was a great example of that...

Best way to win is to play your own game. Not this collective circle jerk of a game we've created the moment we were given the power to compete for attention on a global scale.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well damn Jessie, is this some kind of test?

To your whole comment I have to say bullshit! But wait, was that your purpose, to bait someone into addressing a generalization instead of an issue?

Why is it that you think you can't respond on these forums without "...lowering myself to the level of disgust...?"  Sure there is plenty of nutty partisan bullshit here,  but your contention that you can't address it without 'lowering yourself' sounds pretty damn arrogant to me.

Have you ever considered that your interaction with the disgusting bullshit, as you see it, might actually bring the conversation up a level or so? Like maybe graduating from bull shit to bat shit?

Sorry bud, I know I jumped in hard, but that was a pretty arrogant comment you made.

GA

1. Aime F profile image71
        Aime Fposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You just dropped a lot of shits there my dude. lol

yeah, I thought of that as I typed. But what the hell, in for a penny - in for a pound. At least I have the courage to say shit instead of hiding behind "shyte" or "sh@t."

.and maybe I should have also signed off with my party flag
          https://hubstatic.com/13904384.jpg
          - instead of just "GA" ;-)

2. Jessie L Watson profile image65
          Jessie L Watsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Aime, my biggest fan! Great to have you with us. lol

1. Aime F profile image71
            Aime Fposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don’t hold grudges. wink It’s been long enough, clean slate.

2. Jessie L Watson profile image65

XD

Yes to all of that smile  Gotta get in the mud to wrestle.

3. Jessie L Watson profile image65

But I will say....what I meant about disgust was that I try not to put myself in positions where I reach the end of my rope with people. I have explicitly codified my own weaknesses and bias all over here.

Thanks for sharing, GA. Sorry for the fuss

Hold on Jessie, there is no "fuss."

But, there does seem to be an issue. This response has drawn questions from several angles.

First, it sounds like an alarm going off when you say that responding to such comments, (as previously defined), would drive you to the end of your rope.

I see your other posts as coming from an academic or philosophical, or, epistemological perspective. Is that because that is where your interests lie, (at first I thought it was because you are in a mentioned course of study). or could it be because, as your "end of rope" comment indicates, you are uncertain of your perspectives on a real, (as in reality), level?

I haven't had a lot of interactions with you, but, I don't recall a perception of weakness or bias, so what do you mean by that?

But look at this, what the hell do I know about you. Carry-on Jessie. I think you can be more confident in your interactions with the mud wrestlers - I have found such exchanges to be more beneficial than detrimental, but if if you have a mud phobia, and can live with it... so be it.
          https://hubstatic.com/13904384.jpg

To clarify: It's not a matter of responding to comments or feeling like I'm not equipped to deal with them. Let's see if I can think of an example....

Okay, so the other day I was scrolling through my Facebook news feed and saw things like....

"Well, if YOU don't think Kavanaugh is a (fill in the blank) then YOU must be a (fill in the blank)...."

There's another person I'm referring to who is in their 50's who acts like a total creep with women half his age while simultaneously blathering on about bringing down "rape culture". A wolf in sheep's clothing.

So, disgust feels like an appropriate response to people who act this way but I just have to not pay attention to it - lest I lose my own sanity over it.

It would be my hope that the same rule would apply for anyone who sees something edgy or unconventional (as many of my posts seem to be)

I wrote a second article with this one talking about the function of free expression

https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/341 … cial-media
            (see addendum in the thread)

So, by my own ruling in that article, I have presented my idea and it has clearly not been well received. Assuming the 4 people here are quasi-representative samples of the population, LoL.

I'd like to think what I said in my OP had at least some merit. But perhaps my strategy was too obtuse.

If there is a "groove" to be found by talking about tough ideas without everyone coming unglued, I'm looking for it.

Oops, looks like I misunderstood your OP Jessie. Sorry.

From your analogy, it looks like you are talking about chuckleheads. And lamenting the fact that there are chuckleheads.

That's much easier to explain. I generally don't address them. No feelings about myself either way. Just experience enough to know that nothing productive can come of it.

But, I must admit that sometimes, just for the hell of it, I do address them. But when I do, it is for my own benefit, not theirs.

However, I would think that your description of of your first reaction when running across them as "disgust" might be a 'Freudian Slip'. Tell me how you feel about your childhood with your mother. (No don't! It was a joke!

As for you puzzlement that your OP might not have been understood to have merit - that is another easy one. That's life among us humans. Most folks, (except those you speak of), already know this. So your OP was like telling conscious people that the sky is blue.

Unless of course I have misunderstood you comment once again. ( a distinct possibility)

GA

2. profile image0
    Ed Fisherposted 5 years ago

As you say social media ,perhaps even before,   has removed the need for individual thought ,  I wonder just how dangerous that is for the required individual involvement in the american political system .  Is the problem born of both parties or simply the obvious left?

It's a general human problem, for sure.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

So, you have observed that people who converse on social media:

A. React to other people's political opinions, without offering their own.
    B. Pinpoint the character flaws of those revealing their political viewpoints.

You say Social Media encourages people to:

A. Communicate in ways that are not true to their own opinions or characters.
    B. Chose one of two sides.
    C. Regurgitate the same pundit's (learned person's) opinions over and over again.
    D. Assume attitudes of moral / intellectual superiority, as if I the opinions they expressed were their own.

You know people who "like to think they are moral exemplars of the community," (How do you know what they think?) but on Social Media they behave badly. (How? Name calling?)

You have witnessed that the worst offenders hide:

A. "Within their shells"
    B. "Have the biggest halos."
          1. You site Bill Cosby as an example, (Was he behaving badly on social media?)

You advise that the "best way to win" (How do we "win"?) is to "play your own game." (What would that game look like?) and not play the "collective circle jerk game ... " which began "the moment we were given the power to COMPETE for ATTENTION on a global scale."

Is that what we are doing? Competing for attention? Are you advising us as to how can win the game of competing for attention? You say we win when we think for ourselves and reveal our own true opinions. Well, I don't know about anyone else, but that IS exactly what I do!!!

I think you are addressing everyone else but yourself, and even then, you admit you are guilty. Do you really think it is fair to lump every one of us together and accuse us of doing what maybe only you, and you alone, is doing? Actually, I suspect you just wanted an excuse to use the term "circle jerk."

Well, thats gross and thanks for nothing.

PS. My poor innocent son at age 15 or so, (can't remember exactly when) was with some guys hanging out at one of their homes. I heard that they all learned how to circle jerk in some manner that involved the TV screen.
    There you go. Hope it helps.

Interesting

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

You have actually brought up a monumental issue.
      I think it would be interesting to pursue it.

Maybe we could start if you answer the questions I asked.
      No?

I'll return to your talking points when I get a good minute. Sorry, Kathryn.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
          Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

nevermind.

3. IslandBites profile image89
      IslandBitesposted 5 years ago

Yizuz.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zU2hii0nfoI/maxresdefault.jpg

Haha, yep. That captures the feeling succinctly.

4. profile image0
      Ed Fisherposted 5 years ago

Perhaps those who consider themselves morally or intellectually 'above the fray '  refrain from any response at all.     Whether social media  or 'real 'media  I have always been able to discern  the ideological bias , even a slight bias.     The Cord of Discord  of today is obvious, no rules , take the gloves off .  Any sense of morality , maturity , decency or manners is lost to the cause.
      Why delve into the swamp circus of social media at all  ?   It all either feeds something within you or it doesn't  , it is that simple.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)