Why do people get angry about Christianity but not other religions?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (156 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 5 years ago

Many get angry and hostile and the Christian premise that there is only one God..  Why?  Christianity shares the promise of enternal life in heaven to all who choose Jesus.  Why is that not appealing?
    Why are some so angry about Christianity?

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No one cares how many gods Christianity proposes.

But they sometimes get angry when Christianity (as a religion) insists that everyone follow their canons and tenets.  That everyone share their belief and accept their idea of how we should live.  And that everyone accept their biblical beliefs even when they are at odds with what we know to be true.

dianetrotterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Kinda hyperbole to say no one cares.  I know many don't care   what do you think of Islam and their men going to heaven and getting many virgins.  Where will the virgins come from.

2. dianetrotter profile image61

Many turn people off because of their hypocrisy or need to make enemies of those who choose to not be Christians have you ever met a Christian you liked or respected?

More than I have non-Christians.  Of course, I grew up in a Christian family and spent most of my life in conservative, highly Christian states so maybe that's not totally fair.

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image80
      Slarty O'Brianposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't hate anyone. But any conscious being that creates a place where everything has to kill something everyday to survive, that creates disease, suffering, pain, etc, is evil itself and cruel beyond belief.

On the other hand, if it wasn't created by a conscious god/being, it's just the way it is. No intent, no evil intent. Intent? then it can't be forgiven for all the suffering it caused and causes.

So I dislike most religions because they worship evil and pretend its good.

3. lovetherain profile image80
      lovetherainposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have never seen anyone get angry over the premise that there is just one God.

Geez!  I felt that way when I lived in Arkansas.  When I came to California, I realized that I grew up in the Bible belt.  One god is not a universal belief.

4. RJ Schwartz profile image87
      RJ Schwartzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think people get angry about every religion at one time or another.  But the question wasn’t about Islam or any of the other faiths.

Christianity is about control and power / the threat of eternal damnation keeps the followers in line while the Priests molest their little boys.  All of their holidays are stolen and repurposed from Norse and Celtic pagan practices.  The Crusades and Inquisition and the Salem Witch trials all demonstrating the savagery of so-called men of God killing and torturing non-Christians.  The Bible is a selected set of scrolls meant to only tell the story they want their followers to hear.  The real historical record of earth demonstrates a timeline millions of years old, however Christianity teaches something altogether different.  The church has more secrets than a high end call girl.  The whole ‘Jesus died for you’ is a nice story, but an obvious falsehood as are all those fake miracles - the existence of dragons is easier to swallow than a carpenter walking on water.  And the list goes on and on - people see through the lie but because the church is so entrenched in politics, they are able to keep this mythical control over the people who follow blindly like baby lambs being led to slaughter. 

Anyone can make promises about anything they want, but until something better comes along, the sheep will keep following their shepherd; right off a cliff.  Show me any evidence of this eternal life in a magical realm in the sky or a burning world of brimstone.  You cannot. It’s not appealing because it defies logic.

1. Readmikenow profile image94
        Readmikenowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ralph, do you deny the existence of a spiritual world? What do you believe happens to us when we die.  This is something we will all face.  Is it an ending or a beginning?  Do you agree what happens after death is beyond the realm of scientific explanation?

Thank you for your comments.  Too much for me to dissect and respond to.  I think a lot of it is misinformation; however, it is a reason people would be angry.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
          RJ Schwartzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No it’s not misinformation - it’s history Diane

Mike - I was answering the presented question based on historical records, not my own spiritual beliefs

Do you think a talk about a religion should involve spiritual beliefs?  I agree with your historical record. I would also submit there is nothing in the Bible that commands its followers to do such things.  This is the doing of man.  I'm sure we could have a long and involved discussion concerning the concept of free will and its impact on Christianity as well as history around the world.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
              lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Matthew 28:19-20

“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Different people interpret this in different ways I assume.

"Different people interpret this in different ways I assume"

I think you are absolutely correct.  This is the way with many passages in the Bible.

I asked a street preacher once if he could tell me the language that the New Testament was written in.  He said Hebrew, I told him yes for the Old Testament...but no for the New Testament. When he couldn't answer I told him he needs to know the Bible a bit better before talking to non-believers about it.  He got angry at me.

5. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

People openly bash on Christians because there are no Christian suicide bombers.

Nope, just assault rifles.

1. profile image0

Yeah, how many people are out there screaming Jesus hu akbar, before they go on a murdering rampage?

Not any more. But the Inquisition was something like this and it wasn't that long ago.

1. profile image0

You've got to stretch back a couple hundred years to make that argument. How about we take a look at the body count in, say, the last five years, by people who were actually born in our lifetime?

The same principle though, religious fanatics.

I started to ask you what % of Christians you consider fanatics.  Actually, it is impossible to tell because of the number of people who call themselves Christians period.  The so-called white evangelicals helped elect our presiednt; however, when researchers analyzed it, they determined that white evangelicals included people who use the label even though they are not subscribe to Biblical teachings.

I consider anyone who says believes in what I believe else you will be damned as a fanatic. If they think it and don't say it, that's different. If they try to force their views on you, that's a fanatic.

This is the definition: a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.

2. profile image0

You seriously going to compare actual Muslim violence that exists in epidemic proportions and is a real threat to people, to Christian fanatics who might say mean things to you that you don't agree with?

No, I am not comparing them. All I am saying is there are people who do crazy things in the name of religion and no religion is clean in this sense. All the major religions of the world have this feather in their hat. Buddhists joined that club too very recently. All this was done in the name of religion and because God would be happy if they did these things.

I was wondering about this one too.

It's the same holy book that was followed. If the book did not change, why have the methods? Did God change his mind in these few years? I am sure the people in that time also said they were enlightened by the Holy Spirit, just as people today say they are enlightened and hence go out and do this and that. If it's a good purpose, that's fine, but not everyone is a saint.

God has changed his mind a great many times, beginning with creation in 7 days.  From not eating pork to allowing women in the clergy to allowing gay marriage, God changes his mind every time knowledge or morals advance.

According to the priesthood of organized religion.

?  Which book are you talking about?  Which methods?  BTW, the Bible refers to all Christians as saints..

6. dianetrotter profile image61

You guys may carry on if you choose to do so.  The conversation is not productive and it's hard for me to keep up with changing positions.

Stick a fork in me!  I'm done!

Definitely not productive, facts have been provided and ignored on the premise that not all act in a certain way. Have a nice weekend.

Are they ignored, rejected or simply not understood?  Never forget that a strong belief includes a nearly unshakable opinion that answers are already in hand; that anything said that does not agree with those answers is automatically wrong.

I would say ignored because it was agreed that some people do those (negative) things, but a true Christian does not. The points were therefore understood but ignored and further answers were sought.

I think that's at least a part of it.  Ignored as being obviously fallacious - a TRUE Christian doesn't do those things and thus what was said is irrelevant.  And some answers were likely obviously wrong anyway, even without the "true Christian" thing.

7. Mark O Richardson profile image81
      Mark O Richardsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

To answer the original question, Christianity has several denominations and I would say that it can be competitive

dianetrotterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Denominations are often a distraction.  A Christian has a 1:1 relationship with Christ.  there is no requirement to join a specific group that has their own rules and regulations.

8. Timothy Benson profile image54
      Timothy Bensonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion, deep down, most people can sense that they have a void in their life. They may be able to temporarily fill it with material things, sex, money, drugs, etc., but overall the void is still there and in the end they feel lonely. I am a Christian, and no one is ever going to convince me that Jesus "isn't real" or that He was never resurrected. Before I submitted my life to Christ, I would get angry at Christianity and it was because I honestly could tell that the genuine Christians I was hanging around had something real. I eventually began to want what they had. What did they have? Jesus. Eternal life. I do think, just like every religion, there are Christians who can be extremely rude when sharing the gospel and often time do it out of anger. I believe this is the opposite of what God intended, but I do think it also explains furthermore why some people immediately have a negative reaction to Christianity. There are a lot of people who really misconstrue what it means to have a relationship with Christ.

This is just my opinion. At the end of the day, it is our responsibility to share the gospel with people, but we cannot make anyone submit their life to Christ. We can only pray for them and show them love and kindness while allowing them to have questions about the faith.

Praise God for your testimony.  God does not want people to be forced or shamed.  Believers must understand that and let His love shine through them (us).

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Um, really.  Try be Muslim or the people who were just murdered for being Jewish.

Would you elaborate please.  Many Christians are killed for being Christians.  If I know more about what you are saying, I might be able to comment..

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am surprised that the recent mass shooting in Pittsburgh escaped your attention. These things get a lot of news coverage.  And well, the Holocaust I suspect you have heard of.  Antisemitism alive and well in most countries and the examples are too numerous to even begin to recount.

For my part I am atheist and I see all religions getting a lot of hate, and some of their members giving it.  It's a matter of perspective and what you do--or choose to--notice.

I don't know why you would assume that I was unaware of the killings in Pittsburgh..  There have been many such killings.  I have studied the holocaust and have friends whose ancestors were holocaust survivors..  There are many cruel and senseless murders done by vicious, hateful people - many in the name of religion.  Many Christians are killed by hateful people also.  Dylan Roof killed 9 Black parishioners after watching them pray in Charlotte, South Carolina.

You are talking about the actions of people..  I'm not talking about what individuals do.  We are human and all have a sin nature..  Jesus does not want us to kill anyone.

I'm trying to understand your point with regard to the questions asked.

The original question:

Many get angry and hostile and the Christian premise that there is only one God..  Why?  Christianity shares the promise of enternal life in heaven to all who choose Jesus.  Why is that not appealing?

My thoughts based on my own beliefs and through conversations between people of different religions and nationalities:

Many get angry and hostile and the Christian premise that there is only one God..  Why?
            I do not think so. The majority of the world's population is Christian and Muslim (on paper) and in both cases, there is just one God. I'd like some clarification on who you refer to here. Which people get angry because Christians say there is just one God. Do you mean that there is just one God and that God is the one we believe in and not the other one? If that's what you're saying yes, they do get angry and Christians get angry that they think that there is just one God too.

Christianity shares the promise of eternal life in heaven to all who choose Jesus.  Why is that not appealing?
            Because many people choose to have a decent and fruitful life here on Earth, because they are sure and have proof that they are living right now. These people can't see what's on the other side of the veil. Also, this life is techincally a part of the eternal life, because an eternity is from the time you are born until ... (forever). So you are already living your eternal life, and most people choose to live it.

Mostly because Christians think they are above the rest as explained in my other replies.

The original question:

My thoughts based on my own beliefs and through conversations between people of different religions and nationalities:

Many get angry and hostile and the Christian premise that there is only one God..  Why?
              I do not think so. The majority of the world's population is Christian and Muslim (on paper) and in both cases, there is just one God. I'd like some clarification on who you refer to here.

Response:  If you will look at comments on articles about Christianity, you can see curse words, hostility and often hate.  Here on the forum, I see exchanges go on where people do the same..  It doesn't happen to me personally because if I see a person is becoming hostile I stop communicating with the.

Lobo  Which people get angry because Christians say there is just one God. Do you mean that there is just one God and that God is the one we believe in and not the other one? If that's what you're saying yes, they do get angry and Christians get angry that they think that there is just one God too.

Response:  I don't get angry.  I accept it as fact..  When people want to discuss it, I am always willing.  When people don't, I don't force the conversation.  I post quite a few forums..  When I post under Christianity, I expect people to want to talk about Christianity.  When I post under politics, then I am able to talk about politics without mention God; however, my character and thoughts influence what I say always..

Lobo:  Because many people choose to have a decent and fruitful life here on Earth, because they are sure and have proof that they are living right now. These people can't see what's on the other side of the veil. Also, this life is techincally a part of the eternal life, because an eternity is from the time you are born until ... (forever). So you are already living your eternal life, and most people choose to live it.

Response:  Eternity means forever.  If life ends at death, it is not eternal.  If it goes on after death, where?  I get the answer from the Bible.  I totally believe it..  I'm not mad when others don't.

Lobo: Mostly because Christians think they are above the rest as explained in my other replies.

Response:  There are Christians that you probably deal with on a daily basis and don't know because they don't discuss it.  Wilderness, I hope you are reading this.  Be honest!!!  DO I act like I am above other people?????

It's 3 AM and I am about to go to bed. I am a Christian too. And you ask why do people get angry at Christians, you did not say why do people get angry at you. So why are you saying this:

There are Christians that you probably deal with on a daily basis and don't know because they don't discuss it.  Wilderness, I hope you are reading this.  Be honest!!!  DO I act like I am above other people?????

It seems like you are one of those people who take things personally even when they are not to be. I can see now why you think people, in general, are angry at Christians, no they are not. They are angry at those people who push the faith when they don't want to hear it. It's the sad truth that the worst of the lot are the most vocal.

Regarding the other responses, I'll get back to you tomorrow. And do not take it personally. You asked a general question and I answered it from my experiences as a Christian but with the open-mindedness to see it from a non-believer's point of view. I do believe, but like I said many times in this thread, I believe in this: "love one another as I have loved you", the rest falls in place. When you follow that one commandment, you follow the rest.

2. lobobrandon profile image89

For my part I am atheist and I see all religions getting a lot of hate, and some of their members giving it.  It's a matter of perspective and what you do--or choose to--notice.

This reply by psycheskinner is in line with what I'm saying. There is hatred, but it goes all ways and what you see and don't see or ignore (maybe subconsciously) is different from what someone else sees.

2. wilderness profile image93

That is more the product of media information offered in a highly Christian country than anything else.

I dare say there are more Muslims killed, world wide, every day for being the wrong type of Muslim (modern vs old style or radical) than there are Christians killed in a year for being Christian.  We just don't hear about it because our media doesn't report on it.  Similarly, Jews have, and continue to, suffer violence because of their religion more than Christians do.

We just saw a mass murder of Jews, because they were Jewish, but when was the last time in this country that Christians were killed because they were Christian?  There have been church shootings, but there is no indication it is a religious vendetta; they were just a "captive audience" for an easy kill.

Dylan Roof thought he would start a race war.  The guy in Kentucky was not able to get into the church in Kentucky so he went to the Kroger store and killed two people. 

26 killed in a church in Texas  https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/texas-church-shooting

In the Middle East, they are killed for being Christians.. 
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecuti … ns_by_ISIL

Anyway, that goes off on a tangent.  Widnerness, you know how I like to stay on the topic. 

Why do people get angry about Christianity is the topic?

And I answered that question.  I will add that some people get angry because Christians do not believe in the One True God or his Prophet (just ask them - they will explain it to you, perhaps with a club).  God has told them to kill people that do not believe in Him.

Others may hate Christians because Christians have killed their family or neighbors.  And finally, as I mentioned earlier, lots of people are really, really tired of having Christianity shoved in their face, tired of being forced to live  as Christians demand they do.  (Think prohibition, blue laws, gay marriage, creationism myth taught in schools as an accepted scientific theory, abortion rights, etc.)

W:  And I answered that question.  I will add that some people get angry because Christians do not believe in the One True God or his Prophet (just ask them - they will explain it to you, perhaps with a club).  God has told them to kill people that do not believe in Him.

Response:  You are speaking of Islam (God and his prophet).  God does not want people to be killed..  He loves them and wants them to spend eternity with Him.  There have been religious wars that were not about God but about power..They used God as an excuse..

W: Others may hate Christians because Christians have killed their family or neighbors. 

Response:  I hope it is not a frequent occurence.  I don't hear of many sane people killing others and saying they are Christian.

W:  And finally, as I mentioned earlier, lots of people are really, really tired of having Christianity shoved in their face, tired of being forced to live  as Christians demand they do.  (Think prohibition, blue laws, gay marriage, creationism myth taught in schools as an accepted scientific theory, abortion rights, etc.)

Response:  People may try to force that on you but it is not God.  He wants each person to have a personal relationship with Him..  He doesn't want anyone to be forced.  Again, these are people who are trying to get you to live like they live (and they have their own skeletons in the closets).  Remember those married GOP antiabortionists that pay for their girlfriend's abortions.  Again, that is people perpetrating.  That is not God.  Christianity is about Christ.

"God does not want people to be killed."

Not according to radical Muslims.  And not according to the old testament, either.  (Hint: the insistence that Christians, and only Christians, have all the answers about what God is, does and wants does not breed love of Christianity.  Many people find it objectionable and learn to dislike the religion as a result).

"He doesn't want anyone to be forced."

That message needs spread to the millions of Christians that will pass laws, whenever possible, forcing others to obey what they see as edicts from their god.  Such as forbidding gay marriage or teaching creationism to young, impressionable, children.

Diane, you may not like the answers to your question, but to deny them because "They aren't real Christians" or "MY God, the true Christian one, doesn't do that" is not real productive.  You recognize that these things are done in the name of Christianity; you must also recognize that it is a cause of anger against Christianity.  Which is what you asked.

Exactly, the last paragraph here. All the answers on this thread were in response to what was asked and not in response to the ideal situation.

2. Readmikenow profile image94

Wilderness, the subject is not radical Muslims.  You mention the old testament.  Do you know the new testament?  In Matthew 5:43-48, Jesus does away with "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.  It says...

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

If Christians go against this...should you question their understanding of Christianity?  I believe so.  I've studied the Bible in Latin, Greek and different forms of English.  The Bible is not the problem.  The problem is people believing they have an understanding of it when they don't.

Thank you Readmikenow!  You concisely stated what I should have said.  People get bits and pieces, correct or incorrect, and then all of them add together to make a big mess.

No offense to you, Mike, any more than to Diane, but there are as many interpretations of biblical scripture as there are people.  If some of those interpretations include a different concept than what you have, who am I to say they are wrong?  Who are YOU to say they are wrong?

Yes, this. This is what I agree with, everything you've said here. But, again you ask about Christians in general. And people are not angry at Christians who do not interfere. Most people do not know the difference, they see us all as the same when in fact they are angry at the Christians who use Gods name for their benefit and to push their agenda.

How can it be otherwise?  Those people declare their works in the name of God, or Christ, and declare themselves to be Christians (which they are).  The man in the street, finding that his beer is now prohibited as the "Christian thing to do", is unhappy with ALL Christians.  Not just the ones that declared the law was God's will.

Yup.

You oversimplify.  When I say "people", I don't mean all people.  I think Wilderness and I have discussed "some", "all", "most" on other forums.  We already discussed people walking into churches to kill Christians.  There are places in the Middle East where people have to hide that they are Christians.  Many Christians are jailed or killed.  So to say that (many) people are not angry at Christians totally disregards this.

We often make judgments abouot other people based on ourselves.  When I was young, I was hospitalized often, had surgeries, a bowel obstruction, etc.  People I worked with thought I was lying.  Their attitude seemed to be, "You must not be sick because I feel fine!"

Googling hostility against Christians will support what I am saying.

Why So Much Hatred Against Christians in America Today?
                  https://townhall.com/columnists/michael … y-n2406028
                  New Survey Shows America Becoming Increasingly Hostile to Christianity

https://californiafamily.org/2017/new-s … istianity/

This is why:

Conservative Christians are targeted because of their opposition to LGBT activism and abortion. Bible-believing Christians are commonly compared to ISIS, accused of wanting to establish a Taliban-type theocracy, and called bigots and haters and Nazis.

Not as bad as a Taliban style theocracy or the Nazis, but taking away the freedom of individuals is a cause for hate. I can see why they do that.

Your link agrees with what I said:
                    "Second, the hatred is a result of the culture wars, in which conservative Christians are targeted because of their opposition to LGBT activism and abortion. "

If Christians did not try to force their beliefs in LGBT activism and abortion, via law, onto others there would be less hatred.

"Fourth, the darkness hates the light, and this is an age-old battle that will continue until Jesus returns."

If Christians were no so in-your-face, showing the "light" to everyone within earshot, there would be less hatred.

"To the extent we stand for sexual purity and biblical morality, and to the extent we preach Jesus as the only true way to God, we will be mocked and scorned."

If Christians did not insist the entire public agree with their "sexual purity and biblical morality" there would not be so much hatred.

3. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

Brought up a Catholic, with family and neighbours strictly Catholic in a country with Christianity being the minority, I can say I have met my fair share of people from all over the religious spectrum (Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Zoroastrians, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs, and Bahai come to mind). In terms of religion it is one of  the most diverse countries (if not the most diverse based on the number of religions that exist here for centuries, quite a few, even Christianity took root here, one of the 12 disciples traveled to, preached and died {was martyred} here). I'm referring to India, not many people know that it was one of the first countries with a big Christian population. It did not spread across the world from here as there was no Christian kingdom and no ruler did really go overseas other than one in all documented history if what I learned in school is accurate.

Now to reply to some of the points you've brought up. It's totally my opinion based on my experiences. I don't want to get into an argument or a debate, just sharing a message from another point of view.

No religion does not determine if I respect or like someone it's just a label that definess some of the thoughts and actions of a person. The way they behave is what determines if I respect them. Anyone who follows any of their "holy books" a 100% I dislike because there are tenants in all faiths that go against what most of us as modern Christians or as 21st-century humans believe in. They go against equality and some basic human rights. 

One thing I can say though, not a single soul who does not believe in a God comes to mind if I think of people I do not respect. What I'm trying to say is: education and not literacy is what makes people respectable and atheists are usually very educated.

Lastly, to answer the original question. I can't speak for the US, but South Asia and western Europe (countries that I've lived in), no one gets angry that Christianity professes the existence of just one God. People do get angry over the fact that staunch Christians think they are better than the rest (of the religions) and only they deserve respect. No it's not the only religion that thinks they are the only ones who are right, and yes people do get angry at other religions for the exact same reason. It definitely is not one-sided anger, nope.

There would be a lot less violence in the world if Religion was just kept to oneself and you did not know the faith of the person walking beside you. But the world would not be where it is today without religion, it's one of the few things that brought people together. People need to have a common cause to be able to work towards a goal. Religion was this cause back in the day. Today we have so many other and better causes to work towards. Just some food for thought.

lobo said:  People do get angry over the fact that staunch Christians think they are better than the rest (of the religions) and only they deserve respect.

response: Christians wanting "respect" is a major problem.  Jesus came to serve and be a servant.  He wants us to serve others.  There are many Scriptures on humility.  I don't know of any Scriptures saying we should be respected.

These address how we should be humble.  Don't expect you to read.  It just shows people are being hypocrites if they expect to be respected.
      Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
      Ephesians 4:2 | NIV | 

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
      Philippians 2:3 | NIV | 

When pride comes, then comes disgrace,
      but with humility comes wisdom.
      Proverbs 11:2 | NIV | 

Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
      Romans 12:16 | NIV |   

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
      James 4:10 | NIV | 

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.
      1 Peter 3:3-4 | NIV | 

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
      Colossians 3:12 | NIV |   

Pride brings a person low,
      but the lowly in spirit gain honor.
      Proverbs 29:23 | NIV |

Humility is the fear of the Lord;
      its wages are riches and honor and life.
      Proverbs 22:4 | NIV | 

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.
      1 Peter 5:6 | NIV |

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
      2 Chronicles 7:14 | NIV |   

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.
      James 3:13 | NIV |   

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
      Matthew 11:29-30 | NIV | 

Before a downfall the heart is haughty,
      but humility comes before honor.
      Proverbs 18:12 | NIV |

Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.
      1 Peter 3:8 | NIV |   

Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.”
      Mark 9:35 | NIV |   

God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him.

1 Corinthians 1:28-29 | NIV |   
      So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
      Matthew 6:2 | NIV | 

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
      And what does the Lord require of you?
      To act justly and to love mercy
      and to walk humbly with your God.
      Micah 6:8 | NIV | 

Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
      Colossians 3:18-19 | NIV | 

Wisdom’s instruction is to fear the Lord,
      and humility comes before honor.
      Proverbs 15:33 | NIV | 

Good and upright is the Lord;
      therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.
      He guides the humble in what is right
      and teaches them his way.
      Psalm 25:8-9 | NIV | 

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
      Galatians 5:13 | NIV |   

Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.”
      Luke 9:48 | NIV |

To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
      Philippians 4:20 | NIV |

You understand me wrong. By staunch I mean people who follow every word. Cherry picking quotes does not help. Most of the people I would call 'good' christians, follow these, but there are others such as:

Deuteronomy 12:29-31
        “When the Lord your God cuts off before you the nations whom you go in to dispossess, and you dispossess them and dwell in their land, take care that you be not ensnared to follow them, after they have been destroyed before you, and that you do not inquire about their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods?—that I also may do the same.’ You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the Lord hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and their daughters in the fire to their gods.

Is Christmas not the festival that celebrates the Winter Solstice

Is all saints day and all souls day not a result of Halloween and the day the dead walk among us?

Most Bible scholars know where these church holidays originate. I'm not against it, I love Christmas time and just last year I attended mass on all souls day. I'm just pointing out some hypocrisy that exists.  These holidays were formed by learning how the nations served other Gods and incorporated their beliefs into ours so that they would accept our God.  I know that these dates are not mentioned in the Bible, but most Christians do not know their Bible and those who do cherry pick stuff to make it suit their beliefs.

Also, do we follow the old testament or just the new testament? According to me a Christian is a follower of Christ and should live by the only commandant Jesus gave us: love one another as I have loved you.

No scripture that I know of asks for respect, but it is a well-known fact that Christians and followers of most other religions on the planet think that they are the best and they are better than the rest. This is what I meant when I used the word respect.

Yes, there is hatred against Christians in many parts of the world, I know, I've been there more than you have if you live in the US. But I also know that there is hatred against other religions and on a Global level, there's more hatred towards a few other communities.

2. Glenis Rix profile image94
      Glenis Rixposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with most of your points- except for your view that religion has brought people together. Perhaps it has done soon a local level but it has been the reason behind a great deal  conflict and a justification for wars and genocide.

Personally, I don’t care about what other people choose to believe as long as they are decent, moral, ethical and law- abiding - don’t try to impose their religious beliefs on me. We are a long time dead, so why not live in the present instead of pondering about an unknowable future?

1. Glenis Rix profile image94
        Glenis Rixposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Excuse typos - the result of writing on my iPad!

Ah you misunderstood what I meant. You should read the book "Sapiens A Brief History of Humankind" which is a best seller. Bringing people together does not always mean it's bringing people together for a good cause. If you believe that your king is doing the best for your belief system, you would go be willing to fight alongside and not oppose him. This is what led to most of the genocides. No ruler would be able to do this had the people not supported him. There is no such thing as a one-man army.

4. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

In Germany: 3 times preachers came to the student dorm to convert me. I'm Indian so I played dumb and didn't say I was a Catholic, I acted like I had no clue and then I corrected him in what he said, he opens his phone and looks at his Bible and unapolgetically goes off on a tangent. These were not Catholics of Lutherians, they were Methodists. But to everyone out there they are basically Christians and looking to convert and condemn others.

In Norway: Walking on the street in Oslo, some random guy (not a priest) but professing the faith to tourists comes to me. Says Hare Krishna to me and starts talking about how I am doomed and that I should follow Christ.

Had I not been a Christian myself (on paper) and had I not the knowledge of what the religion actually preaches "love one another as I have loved you", I'm pretty sure I would begin to hate the religion too.

LOL  When working on a remodel of a Mormon church, I was conversing with one of the church members as we watched their new spire being lifted into place.  Asked if I was "saved", I replied that "No, I guess not" and was told "Well, I was a heathen once myself!".  To be fair, I really don't think the old gentleman understood just how derogatory and offensive the statement was, but still...

And in Las Vegas I was standing outside the Bellagio, waiting for the water show when some people set up a sound system on the sidewalk.  Big (as in 3' tall) speakers, powerful amplifier and a microphone and some whacko began exhorting everyone to join Christ.  That was the end of quiet enjoyment of the fountain!

Haha.

5. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 5 years ago

I don’t think that your theory is correct at all. I think it’s probably a matter of perspective.

Yes, Christians are sometimes killed in various places around the world. But so are Muslims. So are Buddhists. And on and on. Some people use their religion as a basis to hurt people that are not of the same religion, regardless of what it may be.

I think that perhaps being a Christian yourself you’re more prone to noticing violence against Christians. It’s likely more broadcast here in the west as well in comparison to terrorism against Muslims on the other side of the world.

6. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

I think people get angry because mossy were raised in am environment that was Christian. Everyone has an idea of what it means to be Christian. The loudest among Christians rarely reflect the ideal of weekday we think of as Christianity.

I think most angry are upset because they believe in the ideal and felt first ostracized because those who don't seem to have hijacked the term.

This ' personal relationship' b.s. is just the tip of the iceberg of the animosity created by people who claim to speak for God, in direct contrast to the spirit of the message.
    And the standard retort of 'Jesus said we'd be persecuted' when someone objects to some lunacy just fans the flames.

7. profile image0
    Hxprofposted 5 years ago

Diane, Christians have, as a whole, for most of this country's history, sought to tell others OUTSIDE our faith, how to live.  Then to boot, they see our hypocrisy.  Once I realized this some years ago, it made an incredible difference in my walk.

It doesn't matter that there are Christians who aren't hypocrites, because what they see are multitudes of Christians pointing their fingers at others, at gays for example, telling them "you're going to hell".  Here's a great example: Ted Haggard.  A man who for years had been teaching that homosexuality is a sin, then is caught with a male prostitute.  Christians rallied around him saying, "Christians are forgiven, not perfect", but that doesn't make sense to non believers who've been poked at for a long time.  Honestly, Ted Haggard had no business being in that kind of a leadership position until he'd gotten cleaned up, but that's another topic.

8. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 5 years ago

Diane,

I believe hatred of Christians is based on many things. Lack of understanding is a huge one. It is also caused by people having a bad experience in a church as a child or in another way. I would say our changing culture also plays a role in it.  Few people realize evil does find its way into the church and causes destruction.  The Bible is very complicated. I've studied it for years and still only know and understand a fraction of what is in it.  I've read the Koran and even the Vedas of the Hindu religion.  I've read the Jewish Tanakh and Talmud.  I've even read the Buddhist holy book the Pali Canon. You would be surprised at the many similarities. I would say for all the negative things said about Christians and Christianity, there are a superior number of good things.  Has anybody heard of the Catholic charities and how they help people?  All over the world Christians are helping people in bad situations.  We don't know about it because drawing attention to your good works is not something a true Christian does.

You are correct Mike!  The doctor that was infected with ebola in Africa was with Doctors without Borders.  They set up hospitals in dangerous places, including Iraq and Iran to help victims of civil unrest and wars.  There are bad apples and people who do wrong things..  Those who do good things far outnumber those who do bad things.  I don't know of any atheist groups that help with hurricane, fire or flood relief.  For some reason I don't meet any that seem to be happy.

The Red Cross may have helped among many other organisations. Yes, Christian missionaries do some of the greatest work, this does not imply there aren't others or atheist groups who do this. Quite a few atheists work with the red-cross and others.

I would like to point out that the Red Cross is not a Christian organization. Their symbol was based on the Swiss flag.  The Salvation Army is close.  I think the point is you won't find a group such as "Atheists for Disaster Relief" operating.  A group dedicated to atheists trying to make the world a better place based on their atheist beliefs. Atheists have no holy book, nothing to guide them, they can only follow or condemn others.  We have atheists in my extended family. I've had some interesting conversations.

Yes, I know that the Red Cross is not a Christian organisation, in fact, that was the point I was making.

Atheists do not usually band together to form organisations with the term Athiest in it, because that would mean they base their life on the principle of not following a God. But this is just the term they use to speak to people who believe and when asked do you believe in a certain religion.

There is no real group of Atheists formed for the sake of being atheists, if they are they still hold the principles of religion dear and are basically rebelling and are not really non-believers, somewhat agnostic.

A simple example: Say we had the option to breathe in either Oxygen or Sulphur and it were a choice. Some people would call themselves oxy something and others would be Sul something. But since we all breathe oxygen we do not say Oxygen breathers relief oxygen. In the same way, atheists do not have to put in the word atheist when they decide to help.

So when Atheists choose to help, they form an organisation and any like-minded people would join. The same way not all Christians are missionaries helping out.

You are right. Christians SHOULD, if they follow the scriptures, be actively engaged in some type ministry.  It could be as small as helping at a food bank or even something as large as starting a charity and more. I believe there are few TRUE atheists. Most of the ones I've met are angry at all religion for a variety of reasons.  Saying they're an atheist is a psychological way to punish what has caused their anger.  I have met some people I would call True atheists. Some were from China. They did not care about my Christian beliefs.  They did not believe in it. If I talked with them about it, they would be respectful and tell me they did not agree with me but wished me will with my Christianity.  They had NO belief in God or religion and were comfortable with it.  They had a very practical approach to life. I could see them helping people based on their personal belief helping people is necessary for the betterment of their society. We did get along.

"I believe there are few TRUE atheists."

Why?  Perhaps you have a different definition of what an atheist is?

From the American Atheists website.

"Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods."

https://www.atheists.org/activism/resou … t-atheism/

1. Oztinato profile image74
                    Oztinatoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately modern or "new atheism" is a fully blown political movement. A hundred or more years ago it was just a disbelief in God. Today it has an organized agenda with an attempt at philosophy.
                    By denouncing all religions the new atheists are causing cultural genocide amongst indigenous religions.
                    This is the reason they focus just on christianity: to obsfucate their cultural genocide practices.
                    https://hubpages.com/religion-philosoph … -Hypocrisy

?  This seems to indicate that Christians only help within the scope of the church.  That is not true.  I addressed this earlier.

Which part of this reply makes you think I meant this? Not all Christians help out as missionaries. There are many ways to help and people of all religions and no-faith help in these ways too.

I didn't understand why atheists don't make organized efforts to feed the poor, help with emergency relief, and do other things to make sure the less fortunate and those with emergency needs are cared for.  I think your point was that they don't need to organize.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.  Many situations are so massive and critical that organized, long term assistance is make sure the situation is alleviated.

Yes, you understood wrong. Athiests do not separate based on Religion because to them it would be best if Religion did not exist.

So if an atheist forms a charity, they do so by forming a charity without using the name of any religion or saint. Other people could join in too. Atheists do make organized efforts, as humans not as Christians or Muslims or some other religion they just don't advertise as being non-believers. Why would they? Unlike theists, religion is not a thing that defines them.

Check this out: https://ieet.org/index.php/IEET2/more/p … er20111125

The point is that it is not an atheist organization.  Buddhists, Muslims, Christians, atheists, agnostics, witches, etc.  They don't discriminate so you can't consider this an effort piloted by atheiss.  How many atheists are working for the Red Cross?  We don't know.

I know 6 people working for the red cross, all of them are atheists. I am also sure there are many Christians working for them. I explained in another reply why true atheists will not form an organization under the banner of being an atheist. I also know many missionaries and have a second cousin who is one. The principle of my school, a Jesuit, met with the Pope yesterday and he does great work. So this is not an attack of any kind, it's just to explain (another reply) why atheists don't do charity under a particular banner.

9. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

We need to respect other peoples religious beliefs.

Respect, yes.  Accept as truth and reality, no.

10. ChristianWritings profile image77
    ChristianWritingsposted 5 years ago

lobobrandon yes, a Christian is someone who believes in Christ. But what about that belief? Do they believe that He died to save their sins? Or do they say  they're Christian (aka a belief in Christ) yet believe that they should build walls instead of bridges? Christianity is ALL about reading and proper understanding about the scriptures.
    ps. I've lived in Italy and visited the Vatican many times. Catholics teach 'religion', not a belief in Christ. They also teach their people to believe that saints are Holy, as Christ is Holy, and that's incorrect. When Constantine put together the first Bible, it could possibly have been a means to 'control the population - HOWEVER (and that's a big however), when one has actually experienced the Holy Spirit first hand from reading the Bible and learning more and praying more, and one realizes what Jesus was actually trying to teach, all the nuances fall away and we begin to follow (and attempt to emulate) Jesus more and more, becoming better human beings - just as He intended.

His teachings. A follower is someone who believes in what someone preaches not what he did. Let's not get into the whole Trump thing, because we all know what he is.

2. Readmikenow profile image94

. "When Constantine put together the first Bible"

Constantine did not put together the first Bible.  The first five books of the Bible are from the Jewish Torah.  The first uniform Christian Doctrine was a result of the Council of Nicaea.  That is what is the basis for the book we call the Bible today.  The Council of Nicaea was called together by Constantine, but it was the Bishops, priests and others who determined what would be in the first Bible. Today, there are some Bibles that have books in them that some don't. One is the Book of Enoch and there are others.

https://christianhistoryinstitute.org/s … ule/nicea/

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image80
        Slarty O'Brianposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Constantine never gave up being head of all region. It was part of his title. He had last say in what went in to the bible, you can bet your life on that. And trinity is a particularly Roman concept. Egyptians often melded two gods together as one. Rome did three. Jesus as god is definitely a Roman concept, not an original Christian one.

11. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 5 years ago

Slarty O'Brian...would like to invite you to join the one true religion which I found after a lifetime of intense research and esoteric study...the secret name (which must only be pronounced in times such as these) is (looks side to side...then leans in close)...Frisbeetarianism...we believe that when we die our soul flies up on the great Frisisisss garage roof and never returns...What a ya say?Want IN??

12. Ben716 profile image90
    Ben716posted 4 years ago

Many people are angry with Christianity because of three major reasons:
    1) They don't want to appreciate there is God, a Supreme Being or an Intelligent Designer. What might be the reason? They don't want to be accountable for their actions or the realization there is someone who is watching over them. Also, they want to do what they can, when they can and not feel bad about it.
    2) The Bible contains teachings, warnings and commands that make many people uncomfortable hearing about them. The world doesn't want to hear about abortion, fornication, adultery and other evils.
    3) The world can't comprehend why a good God can allow injustice and evil to reign in the world. If God is good, why do people die of starvation. Can't he stop bad things from happening? If only people read the whole Bible, they would find the answer to the question why God can't do something about the bad things that are happening in the world.

13. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 4 years ago

Leftists target Christianity because of its role in the founding of America. They want to convince people that The United States is an oppressive country from it's roots which are deeply connected to Judeo-Christian values. Which is why you will never see anybody forcing Muslims to bake a gay wedding cake, or coercing anybody of any other religion to do anything against their values. They would rather see a satanic display over a nativity scene at Christmas time. On and on it goes to use the so called separation of church and state against anything Christian and ignoring anything that any other religion does publicly.

Interesting?  I've got to respond more when power is back on.

2. Mark O Richardson profile image81
      Mark O Richardsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Onusonus-
      I agree. Thank you for your opinions and helping to educate people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)