New to HubPages - Would Like to Say Hello

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Alexis Wainwrightposted 5 years ago

Hello! I am new to the HubPages community and thought I would introduce myself. I joined HubPages in the hope of venturing out on my own as a writer.

I've been writing for other people long enough and thought if I don't do my own thing eventually, it'll only get harder as time passes.

I am very impressed with HubPages' layout. I've tried several and this site has the cleanest design.

Anyway, I've read through the rules. However, if there are any small tips anyone has, I'd love to hear them. Look forward to interacting with you! Cheers!

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Welcome Alexis!

Since you already read the rules, you are ahead of most people who are new to Hubpages. We have niche sites where once your articles get featured, they go to the proper niche, and that gives you more traffic. You may have to write about 15 or so articles before you start to see money, but I've been making money on the same articles since 2011 now, so no complaints here!

Newbie mistakes include:
      Putting all the text of your article in one text capsule. Use a bunch of them. That way pictures or quotes can go between them.

Don't use any photos that are copywrited. Pexels.com and Pixabay.com are two good places for free images. There are many more, and you can use pictures you take yourself.

The word count is a suggestion, it's not written in stone. I write 3,000 word pieces that have become popular.

We use the APA system of punctuation and capitalization, but if in doubt, or bleary eyed from proofreading, use Capitalizemytitle.com for free.

If you write an article and need advice, just copy the URL onto the forum and ask. You'll find most people here friendly. Best Regards.

1. profile image0
        Alexis Wainwrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hey! That was great advice. I do use Grammarly Premium, another web app similar to Capitalizemytitle.com, and Copyscape. About the APA system - Yeah, I am in the habit of using the AP system and I just realized my title is in AP style. Oops!

I'll send you a link to my first article so that you can give me some harsh judgment if need be. No matter how long we've been writing, we only get better from critique.

I'll try to respond with the link to my first Hub as soon as I can..

2. poppyr profile image92
      poppyrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Welcome, Alexis! I'm a bit late to the party, but I hope you enjoy your time here.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I took a look on your article about diamonds and while well written, I have to say that much of the information you've posted can be found all over the net.  Articles must be original, which is not to say that you can't use info found elsewhere, but you have to present it in a way that is unique.  I'm not seeing that in some of your sections, such as the ones concerning the "C;s". Other than that, it's obvious that you are an excellent writer, so keep at it!

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages Alexis! Looking forward to read your articles. Wish you great times ahead.
      The HP community is very friendly and helpful. You would love it.
      We all started once and learnt gradually. In fact, still learning.
      All the best!

2. Patkay profile image89
    Patkayposted 5 years ago

Well, let me start by welcoming you to the home of writers. It feels good writing your own content for yourself and for the interested people. You have made the right choice. Eight years ago, I landed here on Hubpages and I have stuck here since then. My only advice is you keep writing and do not expect much from the very first articles you will create. But soon, you will enjoy the benefits of your hard work. All the best Alexis.

1. profile image0

That was very uplifting. At first, I was nervous about posting. But, hey! With all the great answers, it gives me some inspiration, that's for sure. Thanks!

3. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

Hi Alexis, welcome smile

HubPages has a Learning Center which is chockful of info.

Click Help, top right of any page and navigate to the link.

1. profile image0

That is the first thing I did. big_smile

I am still going through everything.

I noticed that some Hubbers advised not to sign up for an Adsense account until either 20 or 30 articles (depending on who is writing).

The reason being that if Google denies it for whatever reason, it becomes harder to get accepted later on. I couldn't really find a solid answer, so I was wondering if you had some good pointers on the subject?

FYI: I'm not expecting to jump right in and make money the same as people who have invested lots of time, but since that is the eventual goal, I want to be sure I make very few mistakes.

One last thing (sorryyy): It seemed - according to what I read - that it's okay do backlinks to sites I get paid for. I mean, I didn't see that it was forbidden as long as the links are not all weird or spammy.

Are you in a position to clarify what is allowed so that I stay in the green?

Of course, anyone is more than welcome to pitch in as well. wink

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are correct about Adsense, but should be okay to apply after 10-15 featured articles.

No backlinks. Promotion isn't permitted. You can link TO your HP article, but not FROM it.

The only links you can add are Amazon, references and/or resources.

1. profile image0

Okay. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 5 years ago

Hi Alexis, welcome to HP. I took a glance at your not featured first article and noticed that most of your photos don't have captions and none of them are credited. You have to credit your photos when they are not your own and make sure they're copyright free.

1. profile image0

Okay. Thanks! I'll fix that.

2. profile image0

I have kind of a silly question: how do we respond to comments on our posts? I don't see a respond button...kind of embarrassing to ask. yikes

1. poppyr profile image92
        poppyrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

More -> My Account -> Articles -> Comments
        If you've approved them already, select "Approved" under "Filter." Click "reply" underneath the comment smile

1. profile image0

Thanks!

5. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

You've already got great advice here, just popping in to say hi and welcome to HP smile

1. profile image0

I sure did! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for popping by, too...wink

6. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 5 years ago

Welcome to HubPages, Alexis. Great choice. I look forward to reading your writing. Apart from being a great place to write, the community here is the best.

1. profile image0

I can see that. Thanks for make me feel welcome!

7. leahlefler profile image94
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

Hi and welcome! The others have given excellent advice. It can take a while to generate earnings, but it is wonderful once you make payout! Your article on engagement diamonds is well written and you will do well here!

8. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

Hi Alexis, welcome to HP! It's always exciting to see new members join with enthusiasm. As for any tips, be patient as you engage in your passion for writing. Traffic and earnings take time to build. But as long as you love it, your effort will be worth it in the long run. Pace yourself and enjoy the ride. I look forward to checking out your work. Cheers! smile

1. profile image0

Thanks for the uplifting words!

9. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Alexis, Welcome! HP is the best, and I am excited for you. Be patient and write a lot about what you know and what drives you to write.

10. Cre8tor profile image93
    Cre8torposted 5 years ago

Welcome aboard Alexis!

It seems like you know what you're doing so no "harsh" criticism. I won't repeat what others have said but I'll add a couple of things I would do in this first hub...

I wouldn't number things in my subtitles. That is likely personal preference but each subtitle is searchable on its' own so I would probably make some of them like "Understanding Diamond Colour" and/or "Understanding Diamond Clarity" to attempt to capture anyone searching for that specific topic on diamonds rather than "Third C: Clarity".

Just a thought....I'm not a big critique-er because I'm far from perfect and really a novice when it comes to the technicality of the internet but it's worked for me to keep this type of subtitle creation in mind. I find them to be as important as the main title.

Always nice to see new faces! Best of luck.

1. profile image0

That's actually a brilliant idea. Thanks for the advice on that one.

11. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

Howdy, howdy Alexis from Montana and welcome to HP. Lots of helpful comments here already. HP is filled with opportunity to learn and grow as a writer. Looking forward to reading your work. Will we learn something of Bozeman that most people don't know? 

Though I prefer pearls to diamonds I found your first post nicely put together and easy to read (sometimes I get there, sometimes not so much). A tip for online writing is that 2-3 sentences per paragraph works well.

12. revmjm profile image87
    revmjmposted 5 years ago

Welcome to HubPages, Alexis! I think you will like writing for this site. I have been a hubber for 8 years, and I love it very much. I enjoy the freedom of writing about different topics and formatting the articles the way I want.

I read your first article, and I am following you to see what else you write.

13. ChristianWritings profile image76
    ChristianWritingsposted 5 years ago

Welcome Alexis! Happy Hubbing

1. profile image0

Thanks!

14. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

Hello. It looks like you have put time and effort into your first article here. Looks like you are headed for success.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your compliment on my article. It usually takes me about three to four hours to write something like that. It's almost 3,000 words. I may add more to it later as more information comes to me.

15. Rodric29 profile image78
    Rodric29posted 5 years ago

Welcome, Alexis. I hope that all goes well for you. If you know your niche and are not afraid to be the expert in it, you will do fabulously here. Make sure your articles have general appeal and do not sound like a blog. I look forward to reading your works.

16. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Hi Alexis - Welcome to HP.  It's a great community especially for writers who want to become an active part of it.  You'll find a number of topics covered in the forums some of which are informational, some for feedback an some just topical that are largely opinions. I think the default option for he forums goes according to chronology with official announcements pinned to the top.  You can go to the left hand side of your screen and click "Switch to Topical Forums" which will switch your feed to latest topical forum posts on the right and on the left a list of the topical forums.

One thing you'll want to be careful of though if you still need to get a Adsense account it won't be applicable for a bit is using ads in your hubs.  One of the most common mistakes newbies (as well as oldtimers actually) make occurs when they ad advertisements to their hubs.  You can only ad advertisements for items you own, have used, is applicable to the title and content of the hub and about which you have something unique to say.  It's best to when using Amazon ads that you use the link function not the capsule function as this is the current preference of HP.  If you have ads that don't follow these rules your article will likely not be featured until you remove them.  You also don't want to include too many ads in a single hub so it doesn't look overly promotional.

The other advice you've been given is really good so I encourage you to keep it in mind.  The learning center which you are already familiar with is the primary source of official HP policy, suggestions, advice and general information about creating hubs, adding appropriate photos, tables, graphs and maps (currently HP has to pay for including maps so they prefer we not use them unless the article absolutely requires it), writing in general, traffic, ads, applying for adsense etc.

As I said the community here is wonderful, and we are generally a cohesive group that always does our best to help each other out.  We also go out of our way to help new members of the community and the information about posting the link provided when an article isn't featured is, I think, some of the most important for new writers who are trying to get the hang of how to write for HP.  That being said, I just want to point out that, like anywhere, HP has it's own way of doing things and it's own preferences and requirements much of which is dictated by Google's policy.  So if you write something that doesn't get featured right away, it doesn't necessarily mean the writing is poor.  It may mean there is simply something in there that needs to be attended to because it could cause a problem with Google.  So for example, any article that includes sexual content, even if in an appropriate and professional way for the topic being explored, with not get featured since HP requires article to be "family friendly".  I wrote two article having to do with self harm obsessions and compulsions and how these differ from those found in OCD.  They have some of my highest views and one was my second highest for a long time and regularly regains that spot. However, because they relate to suicide, despite not actually talking about suicide per say at all, they were immediately flagged and ads were automatically disabled because this is a "no" topic for Google.

The bottom line of this last part is just the message don't get frustrated if any of your early articles aren't featured at first while you learn the ropes.  Also, please don't hesitate to ask the community for help if there's anything you don't understand or can't figure out.  We all were there at some point and will be happy to help. 

Welcome again and good luck!  I'm looking forward to reading your articles!

1. profile image0

Thanks a bunch! I am actually very glad for all the feedback. I will use most of it because that's the whole point. I want to improve drastically, and the only way to do that is by putting my neck out there for some advice and criticism where needed.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
        chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You'll find writers here on HP to be very friendly overall, and helpful, and unfailingly modest. If you follow all the sound advice, find your niche and create good quality articles, you should succeed. It can take time - months to get going proper - long months - but stick at it, stay on course and later rather than sooner, you could reap the rewards.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the kind words! You're not kidding. There is a great group of people here. You know how some sites are: people either don't respond, are rude, or totally off topic.

But so far, all the people I've interacted with are totally awesome! If only more workplaces had such people.

17. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Some quick advice about your article - When I type in your title I can see at the top "About 151,000,000 results."  The snippet which you ideally want to capture, is 12 Tips . . .  so you'll never get there with only 7.  Of the 10 results on the first page, 3 are just tips without a number in the title, one is "5 Tips. . ., "  five  are  "7 tips . . . " and one is "12 Tips . . ." This means before you even publish yours and have it ranked by Google, it isn't likely yours has a shot at making the first page.

If you write on something extensively covered, you need to include unique information not covered elsewhere and be more comprehensive than all the other articles out there.  Look through the first few pages of search results and see what the highest number of tips covered is, then up the ante.  If it's 12, maybe try 15 tips.  The more the better. 

You don't want to do this as clickbait and not deliver on the promise of the title so don't list very similar tips separately just to be able to add another number.  But the best way to get a high ranking and earn the snippet with an article on a topic there are already hundreds of millions of other articles published about is to make your stand out and give the reader more than any of the others.

Hope this is helpful.

1. profile image0

Very helpful! I have been writing for SEO companies for a few years, but I have yet to learn everything. After reading your comment, I just remembered I should connect my account to Google Analytics.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)