30 Hubs, 30 Days

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. asdianspiritualis profile image70
    asdianspiritualisposted 5 years ago

This seems like a promising journey!

I've been here for twelve or so days and I have eight articles done. I have another five on the burners, too! My question, would that count, or would I start fresh and push for 30 Hubs? I'm not sure how this challenge works, on that end, but I like the idea of getting new and interesting articles up and out in the world.

I've already covered a few different areas, though Creative Writing is one of my favorites!

Is anyone doing this challenge at the moment? It would be nice to keep track of one another as we push forward. The thought of having 30 Hubs is tantalizing. I'm looking forward to cracking down and seeing what, exactly, I can create. Thankfully getting a thousand words in a Hub is easy enough.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No one really does a 30 in 30 anymore because just getting 1000 words in there is not the challenge. You would have a featured hub, but it would not really be a success. For any of your hubs to be a success your goal is to write an article that is the best on the topic on the internet using your own experiences and knowledge.

If you can do this and write 30 hubs in 30 days, you would very likely be successful here. Putting in 1000 words of good content or even the best content without covering your topic in the best possible way would be writing for the sake of writing and nothing more.

1. hclpd profile image93
        hclpdposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I thought about participating in this challenge. Ended up creating a few hubs, but they didn't get any traffic. Had to go back to revamp them. Creating a useful, in-depth hub takes a lot more time than just a day.

Yup. Same here. But if this is something done full time not just an hour or two a day it could be possible.

2. asdianspiritualis profile image70
        asdianspiritualisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would say writing for the sole intent to write is part of writing itself. There wouldn't be much point in writing if we don't enjoy the process. Writing is one of the few things I enjoy, so I do write for the sake of writing. I'd go crazy if I didn't, I'd say.

I can see what you mean about 30 Hubs in 30 Days not being all that popular, not at this point in time. This would have been more feasible back when HubPages first came out, where there wasn't a lot of content on any subject out and about.

So, as I said with Miss Frank, I will see how I shift and turn this to fit my own needs. I will try and get a number of Hubs published before the month is over (maybe a dozen or so instead of thirty), but also work on polishing the ones I already have.

And research SEO. It's been mentioned a few times and that's something I need to become a bit more familiar with, I'd say.

This is gonna be fun. Thanks for the input, Brandon!

Enjoy!

2. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

There has been a move towards publishing less often but publishing higher quality articles.  This means not rushing through them, making them longer, paying attention to SEO, editing and proofreading, and creating them on topics that aren't extensively over covered already and which are evergreen.  All of this is very difficult to do in order to publish an article every day.  Once you've been around for a while and read the various topics that come up in the forums, you'll see that many hubbers aren't publishing a ton of new content regularly and instead updating the articles they have to ensure they aren't out of date and to increase traffic of articles already indexed.  Different writers feel differently about this but one thing that seems to be agreed on is 30 in 30 is not generally the best idea for most, except those rare individuals who might actually be able to do all of the above while paying attention to their existing hubs and editing those as well.

Another challenge that people have done here which seems to be much better for creating high quality hubs is to have each person who participates set their own goal for the next 30 days.  So for some this may be two stellar hubs and for others it may be ten.  This way the goal is something each person can succeed at reaching because they know what they can accomplish.

If you like that idea you can always start the challenge yourself.  Good luck!

I think I'll be doing quite a bit over this next month. I do want to get a handful of Hubs up and running, naturally. The writer in me, it won't accept anything less. However, I think I'll use these 30 days to cover many areas instead of pure Hub Creation.

Of the eight Hubs I have, five (5) of them are on niche sites. Most rank 70-85, which is nice, and I want to try and keep it that way. I like seeing how their ratings change, from one day to the next. Gives me a bit of insight to see if they're being read or not (and seeing which ones remain at the bottom of the list).

I have a few experiments I'm gonna play with, to see if I'm right. Writing is an art all its own! It's interesting to see how things shift and change, and I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun learning how HubPages work.

I'm going to reevaluate my 'goal' for the 30 Day challenge. Make it a bit flexible, more workable. Something that's not going to murder my writing.

Thanks for the input!

3. Erudite Scholar profile image60
    Erudite Scholarposted 5 years ago

Writing a 1000 pager stellar article is no walk in the park.It takes a lot of patience,hard work and research.I have written about 10 articles in the last one month and I can tell you that it takes a toll on your mind and body.Try to do indepth articles on your topics if you decide to embark on this journey.

1. Natalie Frank profile image91
      Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I assume you mean 1000 words not 1000 pages.  If you created ten articles all 1000 pages each in a month you should be given awards, accolades and prizes of all kinds smile

2. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

For some people, it's a job. I wrote three 1000 word articles every week for three years. Every week of the year. Plus hubs. The more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Research becomes a habit. Sitting down at the same time becomes a habit. Getting the 1,000 words done in 90 minutes becomes a habit. Review, edit and publish the following day. It's not hard smile

I just stopped recently because Hubpages has more earning potential.

1. Natalie Frank profile image91
        Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

But it is hard to write 3 articles that are a thousand pages each in a month smile

I admire anyone who is brave enough to try and tame a beast that size. A few articles that are several-thousand words? Sure. A thousand pages? I don't even want to try and contemplate all the work that would go into that monster of a paper - all the research, citations, various views and debates, probably interviews...

That's, like, the type of work something who's trying to get a Doctorates in college. The essays those people have to write, it's mindblowing. That's what the entire 'thousand-page article' reminds me of.

Thanks, but no thanks. big_smile

4. asdianspiritualis profile image70
    asdianspiritualisposted 5 years ago

All good points.

I enjoy writing quite a lot, as it is. I've dished out quite a few articles already plan on going back and looking through them. Adding to them, thinning out others, try and see if I can make them better than what they are.

Challenging ourselves is always a good idea. We don't know what we're capable of until we try. Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the input. It's a learning process for me, but getting an idea on how things work is fun.

5. Gyanendra Mocktan profile image82
    Gyanendra Mocktanposted 5 years ago

I wish I could do that at least 15 articles You inspire me.  Thank you,

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

smile Yes, but don't wait for inspiration. You have to write something. Then that something can be edited into a better piece of writing. You can't edit words unless you write them. Don't be afraid to write badly.

Wise advise smile

About the 1000 words thing you said earlier, I agree. I worked as a writer during my summer vacations to pay for my games lol. I did write 1000 words in 90 minutes, etc. But I still think when writing on HP, it would take a bit longer because you also have to find the right pictures (or take pics and edit them), format the work and more. It's definitely doable to have 30 amazing hubs in 30 days, but it's not something I would think is possible unless you work as a writer full-time.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely agree.  It takes me at least 4-5 hours, on a good day, to write a hub.  To format it, write the words, edit and insert photos, insert links, including finding possible Amazon products, perhaps create drawings or maps and proofread at least twice.  Add in several more hours for research if it is out of my field of expertise and you have a full time job.  It is not something that can be thrown together in a couple of hours, not and have a top notch, successful, hub.

2. asdianspiritualis profile image70

Waiting to be inspired isn't the best solution, I've found. It's a matter of finding a topic you feel strongly for and writing about it. From my own experience, it's good to have a few different 'topics' on the topic itself to discuss. I tend to try and have multiple levels to cover for anything I write about (including my fiction) so that's more unbiased than biased.

Not easy to do, granted, considering we're all based on what we think and how we view things that interest us, but I do try and see a subject from various points of views.

I'd say doing what we're comfortable doing when it comes to writing is a good idea. Try and force too much, the writing suffers. It takes time to get anything done, especially if addressing a topic we don't know all that much about (there's research, there, and then the creation of the Hub itself)...

Anyway, I'm droning on. We all do what we can.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

I wish I had enough free time to do a challenge like this. Shoot, I probably have at least two dozen unfinished/unpublished hubs in my account in various stages of completion, quietly gathering mold. It would motivate me to finally finish some of'em and bang'em out.

I have a handful of hubs resting on the backburners I'm working through at the moment. I'm also working through the ones I currently have done, too!

Then there's the mountain of ideas I have written down in my binder about different topics I could write about, that I managed to think of. I would say the best thing, truly, is to tackle one of them at a time with what little time we have available to do so. Getting something done is better than getting nothing at all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)