It appears the cost of building a border wall will pay for itself.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 5 years ago

It appears the cost of building a border wall will pay for itself with the savings associated with having fewer illegal immigrants. 

“The findings of this analysis show that if a border wall stopped a small fraction of the illegal immigrants who are expected to come in the next decade, the fiscal savings from having fewer illegal immigrants in the country would be sufficient to cover the costs of the wall.”

https://cis.org/Report/Cost-Border-Wall … mmigration

1. JAKE Earthshine profile image68
      JAKE Earthshineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol, then let the wall pay for itself with those deep pockets because congress isn't appropriating 50 billion of tax payer dollars for a useless pile of concrete especially when the great private land confiscation by Bozo Trump's feds has yet to be complete, a process which could take decades if ever to finish with all the anticipated law suits from private property owners AGAINST what many legal experts consider the soon to be defunct Trump Admin:

Moreover, asking for billions of tax payer dollars to build an illusory wall in someones head BEFORE the private border land is taken from rightful owners is like remodeling the kitchen on your new home BEFORE you bought it:     

When immigrants come to the USA they work the jobs nobody else wants and by doing so, they keep a lid on inflation and spend just about every penny they make right here in America, they pay sales taxes, property taxes, mortgage payments and patronize to spend their money in grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, amusement parks and on and on which is a boon for this economy:

I think at this point, where the unstable 72 year old in the oval office is holding Americans hostage, destroying the lives of federal workers just to feed his sick disgusting ego, Nancy Pelosi  should subtract $50 Million from border wall appropriations for every additional day Bozo Trump fails to re-open OUR government and re-allocate those funds toward "Medicare For ALL", an absolute essential for every American:

Readmikenowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I suppose Jake there is no need to backup anything you allege with proof.  That, of course, is the way of the left.  It is so because I say it's so and for no other reason.  Go Jake, you are a poster child for the liberal mindset.  Excellent.

Sorry Readmikenow, but everybody knows I ALWAYS back up my comments with facts: A major battle between American property owners and Bozo Trump's feds is inevitable:

"Hitting a Wall at the Border: Eminent Domain Fights Could Slow Construction of Trump’s Dream"

"A History of Drawn-Out Land Negotiations Could Mean Trouble for “Big, Beautiful Wall”"

https://www.pacermonitor.com/articles/2 … mps-dream/

Excellent attempt...Jake.  I applaud your efforts.  The legal concept of Eminent Domain has been around since the times of Rome.   Legal precedent (previous legal cases) have proven the federal government can take your property if it is for public benefit.  They must pay you, but they can and will take it.  That is not really an issue with the wall.   Here is a good article on it from the Department of Justice.

"Eminent domain has been utilized traditionally to facilitate transportation, supply water, construct public buildings, and aid in defense readiness."

https://www.justice.gov/enrd/history-fe … ent-domain

You're missing the point: This is an unprecedented encroachment of Bozo Trump's feds into the private lives of property owners in Texas and other states who are SUING to protect their rights which could take decades to resolve one way or another and moreover, they are trying to take land away from border property owners for something which is useless, a 2,000 mile pile of concrete which can easily be breached in several different ways including by a $50 ladder that is a foot taller than the concrete pile:

How difficult is that to comprehend ?? Not too difficult for everyone other than perhaps Bozo Trump's rapidly shrinking group of followers: You never re-model a kitchen on a home you don't own yet right ?? Or maybe some do, who knows anymore in the phony world of Bozo Trump:

Anyway, considering Bozo is holding American workers hostage for his useless nazi style pipe dream, Nancy Pelosi should counter with we're not opening the government unless we get a down payment on something useful and vitally important to ALL Americans, Medicare For ALL:

I disagree Jake.  It is not an unprecedented encroachment into the private lives of property owners.  It is something that has occurred since the country was founded.  There have been many previous lawsuits against the federal government many time from states involving Eminent Domain. 

Here is a good article covering some of the most noteworthy cases involving Eminent Domain.  One of them goes back to 1875. Again, this is nothing new.

https://realestate.findlaw.com/land-use … story.html

I'm well aware of "Eminent Domain" Mike and the examples you provided illustrate examples of 'necessity', land taken to build a post office for mail delivery, or to improve a run down slum area, both of which are reasonable requests unlike confiscation of private land on a mass scale to build a 50 billion dollar pile of concrete which could easily be breached by a $50 ladder: RIDICULOUS especially when most undocumented individuals fly on a plane to get here:

A wall is not prudent, irresponsible, ineffective and a waste of tax-payer dollars and moreover, where's the 50 BILLION Dollar check Bozo promised he'd get from Mexico ?? What a bloviating hoodwinker: But have no fear, some nut case is running a 'go fund me' or something like that to raise the "Wall Money", I think he's collected about 20 mil so there ya go:

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
                    Randy Godwinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Trump tells his adoring voters what to think, Jake. You should already know this, but I do understand your patience with them and applaud your efforts. Bob will soon cure their ignorance..

2. Readmikenow profile image94

Jake,

Eminent domain has also been used for defense purposes...again...since the country was founded.  Property for military firing ranges, bases and more have been taken using the legal precedent of Eminent Domain.  Here is a good article on it from Cornell Law school about it. 

“During the fiscal year 1941 nearly a million and a half acres were acquired for defense purposes by condemnation.”

https://scholarship.law.cornell.edu/cgi … ontext=clr

ALSO,

You don't know if the border wall could be breached by a $50 ladder.  No decision has been finalized as to what the wall will be made from or look like at the border.  It is still in the prototype stage. 

“In budget year 2017, Congress provided $292 million to the Department of Homeland Security to build a steel-bollard wall to replace “ineffective” barriers along the border with Mexico. More than 31 of 40 miles have been constructed, and nine more are scheduled to be completed by 2019.”

https://www.voanews.com/a/wall-prototyp … 17391.html

3. wilderness profile image95
                    wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here.  A ladder, although it costs 28% more than the $50 claimed:
                    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Louisville- … /300388448

Don't think you will get over the wall with it. lol

2. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"The actual cost for the rest of the border wall (roughly 1,300 miles) could be as high as $16 million per mile, with a total price tag of $15 billion to $25 billion."

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/this-is … st-us.html

There's your proof.  It doesn't agree with Jakes inflated, imaginary numbers, but when do such posts ever reflect reality?

Wilderness, you are right.  Facts are facts.

“Medicaid bill for childbirth and early care to illegal and legal immigrants combined, at $5.3 billion. That is one-fifth the total cost of building the border wall.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/wash … rumps-wall

3. Ewent profile image69
          Ewentposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jake may not, but "I" can. I worked with environmental engineers for nearly 25 years. 2 were MSMEs who designed, built and installed biofilters, industrial scrubbers and dust collectors and cyclones. The other was a PhD from MIT who was VP of the consulting department.

My job there was to write their white papers and proposals for various clients of the Fortune 100 level. That back up enough for you?

I also prepared a half dozen annual compliance reports to the EPA, NJDEP, NYDEP and MDDEP. Need more?

Now, that wall will cost more than $5.6 billion. Where is the itemized cost estimation on labor, materials, transportation, disposal of construction waste and legal permitting such as access to local privately owned properties? Or does Trump think he'll get the military to do all of this for free?

If he DARES move defense money without Congressional approval to build that wall, he is in violation of Article I that limits his ability to take money out of any funding without House approval first and Senate approval 2nd.

The cost of engineering alone will be more than $5.6 billion. I know this because back in the mid 90s, I wrote the proposal for a DOE project for our company for a dam that was to be built in Arizona.

As for Maggot Man, he never reads details of any kind. The proof of that is how often he spouts off at the mouth without realizing he is sinking his own arguments.

Like the one recently that he can keep the shutdown for "years." How much of a national emergency is there if he keeps the shutdown going for years?

And why didn't his Republicans who handed him $22 billion for border protection last year, build the wall then. Don't even dare try changing the subject to avoid answering.

You are not a PE with a license certifying you as an engineering expert. Time to get off the ego trip.

Here here Ewent, your intelligent and knowledgeable comments are always enlightening and refreshing:

What the last remaining Trump followers don’t seem to understand is that you'd be extremely lucky to get a chain link fence installed across 2,000 miles of various geological shapes and sizes for 25 Billion after all the pertinent legalities, eminent domain law suits and critically important environmental concerns are settled in court if they ever could be, so my estimate of 50 Billion for a bloated, useless concrete wall is an extremely generous and conservative estimate:

And that doesn't even factor in Mr. Trump's mega-Corrupt government so we the people would have no idea where the tens of billions would even end up if they were ever appropriated:

1. Ewent profile image69
              Ewentposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. But when a maggot in chief believes it's fine and dandy to use our hard earned tax dollars as he pleases and right wingers DARE to refuse cold, hard evidence, I do what our Colonial Revolutionaries did...resist, refuse and NEVER retreat.

When you grow up in a man's world as I did, you get some pretty cool ideas about how to "fight like a man" even when you are 4'10" tall and everyone tells you you look like Betty Boop. lol.

One thing I always do when I catch a liar lying or making up wild exaggerations is to call their bluff. I got that from my 5 brothers and half brothers. It works like a charm.

The insanity of allowing 2 men total voice in government, Trump and McConnell, flies in the face of everything the Colonial revolutionaries fought for.

The worst of this is Trump is a slick article who uses bribery to get what he wants. First, he gets dirt on anyone who wants in on his circle, for future ref only, mind you. That way, later on if they should get any wild ideas about taking his place as Master of the Universe, he drags out the dirt.

The only reason McConnell won't dare stand down to Trump is because McConnell's billionaire wife, Elaine Chao, was given a departmental job as head of the DOI. Now, to keep McConnell in the palm of his hand, he's bribe McConnell once again with a job for another close relative.

This is worse than the scandal of the Republican president Warren Harding who some believe was offed while on a train trip by his own wife. Like Trump, Harding was a womanizer and the father of an illegitimate child with one of thos women. But, he was also scandalously involved in handing out jobs in return for support as Trump does.

All I see of McConnell is a man so easily duped that he would be a candidate for Ripley's Believe it or Not as the world's most duped.

2. Live to Learn profile image61
        Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Not a problem. The government could just build a wall where it can and post a large contingent of agents on the property lines of those who stand in the way. Or, maybe a fence around the property so those owners can host any migrants who come on that property.

2. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nothing ever pays for itself where the government is concerned.

What you say is very painfully true.  History proves you correct.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Impressive report, if only people read it and find out for themselves the true data. Ignorance is the worse disease.

3. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 5 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/14349899.jpg

4. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

What about coyote mercenaries. Or govt or private coyotes. Make people pay. Put them in the back of a van and give them a ride back home.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)