Dem reverses course on impeachment as support among independents falls

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (69 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image93
    Readmikenowposted 4 years ago

House Dem reverses course on Trump impeachment as support among independents falls

House Dem now sees no 'value' in Trump impeachment, as polls show fading support among independents

"Michigan Democratic Rep. Brenda Lawrence, a prominent supporter of Kamala Harris who has previously supported the impeachment inquiry into President Trump, has abruptly announced that she no longer saw any "value" in the process and called for her fellow Democrats to throw their support behind a symbolic censure resolution."

1. RJ Schwartz profile image88
      RJ Schwartzposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There will be more Democrats against impeachment as they hear from the people in their respective districts asking hard questions such as - Why is the Mexico-Canada-America Trade agreement just sitting there?  What have you done legislatively to improve drug costs?  What have you done to support America and American interests while in office? 

The Democrats are really stuck in a lose-lose situation.  They don't have bipartisan support for impeachment, but Adam Schiff has already taken them down the rabbit hole and they will be forced to vote (and guaranteed to lose bigly in the Senate (plus exposing a lot of other things) OR pull back and demonstrate to America that it was always about getting Trump out of office rather than doing their jobs OR watch the rank and file vote no and have a Party mutiny on their hands....

Readmikenowposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There are Democrats in areas that are pro Trump who are turning against it.  This impeachment is just a circus.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The usual Fox News horsepoop. She merely suggested censure instead of impeachment.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4721 … aching-him

And the alleged swing against impeachment also is horsepoop. If anything, support for Trump's impeachment is growing.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll … -6957.html

3. profile image0

I see this "news" comes straight from the mouth of the always inaccurate Sean Hannity.

https://hannity.com/media-room/losing-s … stigation/

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Lol! Complete with obviously photoshopped picture of Schiff. Hannity thinks his viewers are easily bamboozled....

1. Credence2 profile image79
          Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hannity thinks his viewers are easily bamboozled....

For anyone that watches this clown and takes him seriously, it comes with the territory....

2. GA Anderson profile image88
        GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What if it didn't come only from Fox News or Hannity, is it still "horsepoop"?

"“Sitting here, knowing how divided this country is, I don’t see the value of kicking him out of office, but I do see the value of putting down a marker saying his behavior is not acceptable,” Lawrence said during a Sunday episode of No BS News Hour.

LeDuff asked Lawrence whether she felt it was “unwise to tear him from the chair” during an election year.

“Yes,” she responded. “I want him censured. I want it on the record that the House of Representatives did their jobs.”"

Source: Detroitnews.com

You can hear her say it here: Podcast starting at 26:15

GA

1. profile image0

I realize you are a Trump supporter, so I understand why you aren't appreciating my point. It's horsepoop considering the source and the distortion of the context.

She doesn't represent a collapse of Democrat intention to impeach Trump. She is expressing an opinion that censure is simpler and more credible with the nation as a whole.

1. GA Anderson profile image88

You realize I am a Trump supporter? Is that simply because I offer a counter to your comment?

However, it seems your "point" is that it isn't horsepoop when the Detroit news source, (or any news source except Fox), prints it, or the podcast airs her saying it, but it is horsepoop when Fox or Hannity repeat it. Is that your point? If so, you are right, I am not appreciating it

I didn't see the OP saying it did represent a collapse of the Democrats' support for impeachment. Did I miss something?

The OP didn't say anything about Fox or Hannity, so why did you automatically go check Fox or Hannity and jump to an accusation of distortion?

Since I can agree with your closing sentence, why do you have a problem with who reported that opinion?

GA

1. profile image0

No, because you constantly defend Trump no matter what he says or does. You ignore 99% of the BS that Trump extremists post on here.

Otherwise, there is no point into getting greater detail because you will rationalize every bad behavior of your warped President and argue in excruciating detail anyone who says otherwise.

For example, you ignored the link to the exact quote I provided from Sean Hannity. You rationalize Mike's gross distortion of both the original quote and the polls.

How can you be so blind?

Obviously, I would have a different opinion promisem. I think that rather than saying I constantly defend Pres. Trump, I would say I constantly point out incorrect or hypocritical statements. However, you are right that I usually don't respond to 99% of the extremist Trump supporters' comments. There is no profit in joining such exchanges—no realistic opportunity for discussion.

I have the perception that you haven't met previous challenges in our exchanges, but I will try one more time; show me one of my comments that you think rationalizes any Trump behavior. But . . . comments criticizing false declarations of fact, or comments proposing other possibilities don't count—they aren't rationalizations.

Regarding your link; I wasn't responding to the link, I was responding to your comment, (which was a reiteration of a point made in a previous comment), not some quote as you claim.

Here are your two comments prior to my response to you. Where is the ". . . exact quote I provided from Sean Hannity." that you say I ignored?

I have tried to make this response not one of excruciating detail, so come on bud, how about supporting those claims that I rationalize and ignore.

GA

2. profile image0

You completely fail to see that Mike took her comments out of context and that his claim of collapsing support for impeachment is provably false.

Please quit cherrypicking and rationalizing to defend your vote for Trump.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
            Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I once had hopes for Gus....

I don't agree promisem. I double-checked just to be sure by the OP clearly said House Dem, singular, and then spoke to that one House Dem's comment.

Of course, you are free to take any inference, but at face value, it does not say what you claim it does. you want from that And relative to your "out of context" claim, you can hear her entire interview in the podcast link I previously provided. Her statement is the context of her part of the interview.

Now, where in my comments have I cherrypicked or rationalized anything to defend Pres. Trump? Bump the table Scott, you are stuck in a groove.

GA

1. Valeant profile image86
              Valeantposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Gus, you seem to be the most open-minded of the Trump defense here.  Wondering if you could provide a reasoned reply to this:  Why was a public announcement of an investigation into Biden necessary in order for Ukraine to get a meeting at the White House?  Couldn't they have just gone through regular channels to inquire about the action to remove Shokin?  Why was announcing it publicly even a demand?

What answer would you expect from me Valeant? One that would have the words you want to hear coming from the mouth of a purported Trump supporter?

I don't feel like cooperating. You already know the answer to your question. You just want me to give you support by repeating it.

I have already stated that I think Pres. Trump did do what is alleged in this Ukraine issue. Besides, if you can't make your case with true Trump defenders I don't think anything I can say would help, other than offering you a token to wave in their faces. (and maybe earning a little 'suck-up' with Randy so he will let me join his crew)

GA

1. Valeant profile image86

I wasn't looking for an expected answer.  I just want to prove a point that there is no basis to even ask for a public declaration unless your motive is to smear Biden.  Once the motive of a personal benefit towards the 2020 election is established, this now falls into a campaign crime.  Some of us still want free and fair elections, not criminals using foreign nations to influence our elections...again.

1. wilderness profile image94
                    wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Did you expect GA to carefully examine all possible motives and discard all but the one?  Or are you going to simply assume that if no one gives an alternative that you will accept as far more likely than the one you want then it is "obvious" that the motive was to smear a competitor?  What if the alternate possibility paints Trump in an even worse light - would you exchange that for the one you want then?

I think all of us citizens want free and fair elections. But the parties' apparatus might have other thoughts. ;-)

GA

4. Sharlee01 profile image84
      Sharlee01posted 4 years agoin reply to this

To little to late... The foolishness has already been perpetrated. However, I guess this might be a learning experience for the Dem Party.

2. Readmikenow profile image93

I believe President Donald Trump is the Roadrunner to the Wylie E. Coyote Democrat party.  Beep Beep.
    https://hubstatic.com/14773438.jpg

But he's not smart enough to bribe the Ukraine and get away with it. DOH!

I think you need to educate yourself on the legal concept of bribery.

Until then all I can say is "Bless Your Heart!"

1. profile image0

I'm sure you know just as much about bribery as you do hearsay and conviction. Trump should hire you to replace Rudy who is being tossed aside. He needs a fresh acolyte to chew up and spit out.

Another attempt to make a point that only displays extreme TDS.  There is help available.

1. profile image0

I have been consistent from Day One on my opinion of Donald Trump. A lying con man with Narcissistic Personality Disorder makes an acceptable reality TV star but an unacceptable president.

What will it take for you to admit you made a colossal mistake supporting this pathetic criminally incompetent excuse for a human being?

Oh, never mind. That crack legal mind of yours is too busy distorting legal terminology.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Bribery, extortion, choose your poison, Mike. My heart is over blessed by this point. I don't understand why especially you are defending a cretin who held up aid to your ancestor's homeland in an attempt to harm the Bidens for his own personal gain.

Yuy said Biden did the same, but neglect to mention Biden went to the Ukraine with the blessings of republicans and the EU.

You try Randy, you really try to make a valid point.  I applaud your efforts.  Please keep trying and some day, it just may happen.

Let me provide you with a little insight into my ancestor's homeland and the obama administration.  Many people there hold him responsible for losing Crimea. When the Russians invaded, he did absolutely nothing. Now, move forward to the President Donald Trump administration.  Ukraine has serious war on it's eastern front, the Russians are massing troops on the western part of the Ukraine in Crimea.  The Ukraine doesn't have the resources to fight a two front war.  President Donald Trump sends a serious amount of "offensive" weapons." Hand held rockets that can destroy tanks and planes.  State of the art anti aircraft weapons and more.  Because of this, the Russians in Crimea backed down and a huge crisis is averted.

So, the aid is delayed.  Everything from the United States is delayed.  It happens all the time.  I appreciate President Donald Trump and his desire to investigate a corrupt former vice president who took advantage of the Ukraine in ways you know nothing about.  Obama and Biden are not well thought of in Ukraine.  President Donald Trump is far more popular.

1. tsadjatko profile image66
              tsadjatkoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

“Biden went to the Ukraine with the blessings of republicans and the EU”

? And I suppose they told him to bribe Ukraine to fire they’re prosecutor with their blessing?

I doubt that but

Mike, this demonstrates that to liberals wrong is right as long as it is approved by the government, like Hiliary being cleared by the FBI or Obama spying on an election campaign. Government is God, the feds  can approve anything they want if it is wrong and that makes it right - to a liberal.

I suggest you learn the difference between "their" and "they're," T. You're on a writer's site you know. Or perhaps you have no idea as to the difference...

1. tsadjatko profile image66
                  tsadjatkoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The best Randy can do is criticize an automated spell check error? Par for the course, anything to distract from the substance or truth especially if he thinks he can use it to attack the messenger instead of conceding he doesn’t know what he is talking about.

His tactics do have a certain entertainment value however, like listening to a stand up comedian.

Coming from you that means nothing to me. After all, you support the criminal

2. Valeant profile image86

Yeah, we're all just here to prank you guys like these super smart Trump supporters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFuL11VxYQw

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

So why would Obama give support to a well known corrupt administration. Mike? The one Biden was sent to curtail?

You didn't address the Republicans and the EU  supporting Biden's actions re the Ukraine prosecutor, Mike. A simple oversight, or intentional act on your part?

Here is the problem Randy, I don't care.  Screw the Eu, they've been a problem for Ukraine for a long time.  They promise things and don't deliver. Plans have been made based on promises of the EU and when they didn't deliver, Ukrainians died.  Screw them.  Republican support? You would have a tough time proving that one. Maybe RINOs, but that's it.

It makes most Ukrainians laugh when the United States talks about its corruption. A Ukrainian talk show host made me laugh.  He said if a corrupt US politician like Biden had not been so corrupt, the United States would have no problems.  A caller said people in the United States believe he did nothing wrong.  The talk show host says "That is what we say about our politicians.  See how much we are like the United States."

I laughed.  The United States and Democrats especially accusing any person or any country of being corrupt is like Canada telling people they take the game of hockey too serious.  It is a joke.

I didn't make it up about the republicans being all for Biden going to the Ukraine. You simply don't like it because it's true. A true Trumper you are, Mike.

You want America to have no allies but Russia, like Trump is working towards?

What I do know is that you do make an honest attempt to provide an insightful comment.  To date, you have not succeeded.  You have provide serious comedy for me and my friends to enjoy.  Your responses are funny and trust me, not taken serious. 

Keep it going Randy and Bless Your Heart.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
                Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone is against attempts to curb corruption but when you learn how someone financially gained, suspiciously, you think that corruption always finds a way.

It's like, no one is against a public works project. What they find offensive later on is they find out no bid contracts cost the public more than it should have cost and part of the bid includes a kick back to the politician who orchestrated it.

I, personally, want to know the truth. If there was no corruption on the part of Biden and his family that will restore some faith.

Trump didn't care if the Biden's were investigated as they were already cleared of wrongdoing. There's no law against Hunter getting a lucrative job in the Ukraine. You may not like it as Hunter appears to have no experience in the NG business, but then, Jarrod Kushner had absolutely no experience in world affairs, and look what job his pa-in-law gave him.

Personally, I don't care about the investigation into the Bidens, but Trump simply wanted the appearance of an investigation to hurt Joe during the election cycle.

I'd like to see the documents showing how Jarrod and Ivanka got their security clearances, but once again Trump refuses to let Congress see them. I believe our security is more important than Hunter's job in Ukraine, don't you?

"already cleared of wrongdoing"

Really?  By whom? Was there an investigation?  I think you are just repeating Democrat talking points.  If Biden was cleared, I like to know the details.  This may be a bit of a fabrication.

2. Sharlee01 profile image84

Yeah, should not have made the call per protocol with 12 people listing, and held up the aid per protocol. Oh, and also for months before spoke about his concerns about checking what other countries were giving in aid to Ukraine, and his concern that there were holdovers in the new president Zelinsky's administration. An this is what the Dem' call bribery? Do you see how foolish this all is?

Yeah, just not smart enough?

Should not have admitted his extortion attempt either. Yes, not smart enough to get away with it.

1. Sharlee01 profile image84

I guess we will have to wait and see who wins the next election. I say the majority of electoral votes will reelect rump. He has just provided good change for most citizens, that have changed their lives for the better.

3. Readmikenow profile image93

https://hubstatic.com/14773586.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)