Things heat up between Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. Thoughts?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (114 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago

During the democratic primaries, Bernie Sanders was accused of allegedly saying, to Elizabeth Warren personally in 2018, that he thought a woman could never be president.  I personally think he was being set up with that loaded question to be honest, as I feel like that question alone tells me that this election is being rigged.  I could be dead wrong, as I know this all falls under conspiracy theories, but it's just my opinion. 

However what are your thoughts though?  Do you think Bernie Sanders actually said a woman can never become president?  Or do you think he's being set up to lose here?  And if so by who and for what purpose?  Please discuss.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Before I respond in detail, how do you see this question alone as an indicator that the election is rigged? Can you connect the dots for me, please?

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 4 years agoin reply to this

It just seems like the way the question was phrased makes it seem like CNN has an obvious bias towards Bernie Sanders.  Almost like CNN was in cohoots with Elizabeth Warren to make sure he lost the democratic primaries. 

First of all, are you telling me that you can imagine Bernie Sanders saying that to Elizabeth Warren in a private conversation in 2018? I sure can't.  Bernie doesn't seem to be the type that would say something that egotistical and stupid even in a private conversation between just the two of them.

Secondly, I find it incredibly convenient that this alleged conversation they had in 2018 that nobody else knew about it but those two, which puts them in a he said she said situation.  And given how woke the media is, Bernie is in a no win scenario.  Seriously if he denies it, then people in the media will outright call him a liar.  So what's the guy supposed to do?

Anything he says will be his word against hers because the woke media that brainwashes most people will usually crucify those that don't speak to their narrative.  Take the Black Panther film for instance.   There's this one film critic I follow, who gave the movie an 8 out of 10, yet he was called a white supremacist by the woke media because they felt all critics should give Black Panther a perfect review.  I mean by god. I liked the movie too, but it wasn't that great, as I would've given it the same rating myself; arguably even a seven out of ten the more I think about it. 

And I'm not even white either.  Not trying to compare what happened to Bernie Sanders to what happened to the film critic i mentioned, but I'm just giving you an example of how the media will crucify anyone these days who doesn't parrot the narrative they want the masses to believe. 

I firmly believe Bernie was set up because if you listen to the way the question was phrased, it was made in such a way that regardless of what Bernie might've said, he still would've looked like a bad person even if Elizabeth Warren and CNN were lying their butts off about the whole thing.

To paraphrase most of what was said.  CNN asked Bernie why he told Elizabeth Warren in 2018 that a woman can never be president?  If CNN was truly unbiased, the reporter would've said, "It was reported in 2018 that you said a woman will never be president to Elizabeth Warren.  Is there any truth to this statement Mr. Sanders?"  That would've been the correct way to ask it.  Not say it "like why would you tell Elizabeth Warren a woman can't be president?"  It's the way the question was phrased that irks me and kind of suggests there's more going on than meets the eye.

And of course when Bernie denied the allegations, CNN asked him to confirm what he said about him never saying that, and Bernie said "correct."  Only for the CNN reporter to ask Elizabeth Warren immediately afterwards saying "How do you feel about Bernie saying a woman can't be president."  It was like the CNN reporter dismissed what Bernie had said in favor of Warren.

And now with the recent mic leak of Warren being on the record of chewing out Sanders after the debate saying "You trying to make me look like a liar on TV?"  Seriously what was Bernie supposed to say?  It was like Elizabeth Warren was hoping by snapping at Bernie like that, then he would cowl and apologize saying "Oh no Elizabeth I'm sorry I didn't call you a liar", which would've made it all too easy for the media to spin what he said in her favor.  Thankfully he was smart enough not to do that, but still.  The whole situation with the way the question was phrased, and now with the mic leak after the debate coming out, it just seems like the Democratic party is trying to sabotage Bernie in favor of an establishment Democratic candidate. 

Granted, I could be dead wrong, and I'll be the first to admit it if I am, but it just seems that way when I saw the thing online after it happened.

1. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I liked the movie too but it wasn't great. Patronizing really doesn't help.

There is a game of political correctness afoot used to pacify and misdirect  the attention of people from what is substantive verses what is of no lasting significance, it serves as just another tool that is part of the SOP of the "Establishment".

Wall Street apparatchiks have acknowledged both Sanders and Warren as their biggest threat, so, of course this power and those that support it are going to pull out all stops.

In reference to your last paragraph, you are spot on, because I believe that is what is happening. The Establishment needs a candidate that while spouting out the standard platitudes about a just and equitable society will not rock their boat as a threat to their unearned advantages and privileges at the very foundation of inequity in this society.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 4 years ago

I completely agree with your assessment.

3. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 4 years ago

Relative to the "heating-up" part of this topic, did anyone catch the clips of the 'hot mic' moment at the last debate where Warren confronted Sanders—accusing him of calling her a liar?

https://youtu.be/LxFKxglpM00

GA

1. profile image0

I did, and it only fuels to my theory that he was being setup to lose the democratic primaries.  I don't care what Elizabeth Warren says.  She knew she had that mic on.  She was just trying to pull a fast one to make Bernie say something that would fit her narrative.

1. profile image0

You said you thought this one question alone indicates that the election is being rigged. How so? I can see it possibly being a setup by Warren, but how does that fit in with a rigged election? I am genuinely curious.

1. profile image0

I'm going to answer you. It's just that I'm still typing what I want to say, as I originally wrote you a long response earlier today but the site glitched on my phone and it never got sent so im having to retype a lot of it from memory.  lol

1. profile image0

Oh, sorry, no rush. I know how frustrating that is because it has happened to me, too!

2. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That is an interesting perspective I hadn't thought of.

GA

Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I thought, more damning than that moment, was when CNN displayed obvious and calculated bias; by asking Bernie the question and, essentially, calling him a liar when they spoke to Warren.

Warren should be careful. They will use her in an attempt to derail Sanders but, if successful, the powers will find ways to derail her campaign in favor of Biden.

This is what I am thinking too. This kind of angst is not typical of either of these candidates, and I would suspect the pro Biden/Bloomberg class as the fomenters to disperse  and derail the true progressive and populist wing of the party. It may turn out to be an ugly revisit of 2016, accommodating the so called "moderates" who use the party machine to stay in power at all costs.

Combine that with the troubles that Trump has been having as of late, it gives Biden/Bloomberg a boost. I am not pleased at the prospect.

1. Live to Learn profile image60

You guys need to break that DNC machine and make certain the candidates you support aren't stabbed in the back, in the dark.

2. profile image0

The problem I have with this theory is that both Warren and Sanders were present at this meeting where Bernie allegedly made the comments so both of them know what was actually said and one of them is not being completely honest.  In other words, if this little flap was instigated by the Biden camp or the DNC, one of them has to be a willing participant. Do you think Warren is lying? Because if this spat was started by a third party, Warren is the one seemingly coming out on top.

Panther, what I don't get is that this alleged conversation occurred in December, 2018, why is the pot being stirred now? These are both incredible people that are smart enough not to allow themselves to be distracted, how does this happen?

Both parties left that meeting not in dispute.

I think there are sinister forces in the press and elsewhere that are part of the Establishment that fear what a Sanders or Warren candidacy would mean for their prospects. These sorts are ruthless and would stop at nothing to protect their precious status quo.

1. profile image0

Well, I thought Warren would be too smart to be lured into doing the establishment's bidding. I think it's possible it came out now because a Warren staffer either wanted it out or inadvertently spoke to the wrong person.

My main point is, either Warren is lying or Bernie did say it would be hard for a woman to win in 2020. I have a hard time believing he said a woman can't win, but I do think it's possible he speculated that a victory in 2020 would be difficult for a woman.

So, is Warren lying just to trash Bernie? I have a hard time believing that, too.

End result for me? It's a wash and I'm not taking sides or letting it affect my vote unless additional info emerges making all this more clear.

3. GA Anderson profile image89

You are certainly looking at it on a deeper level than me. I was just thinking it was a sign the 'gloves are coming off' as the primary heats up.

GA

You betcha,GA, I smell a rat at the bottom of all of this.

1. GA Anderson profile image89

Luckily, I only commented with the knowledge of the snippet I saw. I have gained insight from some of the comments in this thread.

I still believe it is a case of "the gloves coming off," but there may be a lot more calculation to it than I first thought.

Given my respect for the political savvy of both parties, I will just sit back and watch.
              GA

2. Ken Burgess profile image77
        Ken Burgessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Insightful

3. Ken Burgess profile image77
      Ken Burgessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

All very convenient...

CNN broke the story

CNN's host asked the question(s)

CNN had a 'hot mike' and then released the 'confrontation'

More fake news... only now it seems Bernie is in the crosshairs instead of Trump.

I guess Bernie should have kept his HURRAH!!! for the workers to himself (over CNN's record payout of $76 million to settle union-busting case).

1. profile image0

And do you believe Warren is a willing participant?

My understanding is the corroborating sources all lie in the Warren camp. Why would you not believe Warren to be the source?

1. profile image0

I'm confused. You all think Warren is in cahoots with Biden/the DNC/the establishment/the billionaires/CNN to make Bernie look bad?

I think Warren is being propped up by CNN with this bogus attack. I don't think she is in cahoots with Biden. What I believe is if they sideline Bernie they will then turn on Warren.

I think the DNC will do whatever it takes to ensure a moderate wins the nomination.

Edit. I could never consider a vote for Bernie because of his policies. But, he is a decent man who I believe is being smeared. I don't know that anyone using identity politics has ever won a national election. Warren should stick to policy and not lie about her opponents.

1. profile image0

So you believe Warren is lying?

1. profile image0

Just saw your edit that shows you do think Warren is lying. Since I wasn't there, I don't know who is telling the truth, but it seems Warren has more corroboration.

Your position doesn't surprise me, though.

Why is that? Because on some levels yours surprises me. You have no problem calling Trump a liar no matter what proof exists otherwise. Why take a proven liar at her word?

Most assuredly. She has shown a penchant for lying.

4. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago

The whole thing about Elizabeth Warren claiming to be an Indian reminds of an episode of "Family Guy", where Peter finds out he too has like 1/50th amount of African American ancestry dating back to the slavery days, and he tries to get reparations from his father in law because allegedly his ancestor was the slave master to Peter's ancestor.  lol 

No offense to Elizabeth Warren, but I'm actually one quarter Native American myself as my grandmother on my father's side was an Apache Indian, but I would NEVER claim to be an Native American.  Sure, I may bring it up a lot in reviews that I write, but that's only because sometimes movies will tend to have controversially racist subject matter that will force me to prefix what I'm about to say, so nobody can accuse me of being racist or being a white supremacist like that one critic mentioned that got slandered for not giving Black Panther a 10 out of 10.  roll

1. profile image0

That was a funny episode of Family Guy.

5. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 4 years ago

This is all bull$hit,

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- … SKCN1V61C6

Do you really think that I care about Warren's ancestry as long as she is at the forefront of addressing long held grievances from Native American communities.

No more than I gave any consideration about Ted Kennedy's ancestry as he was champion for working class people and underserved groups.

In the face of that reality, Trump has no standing.

Conservatives and rightwingers and their intimidation regarding the topic of race is being laid bare. I really hope that the fears that lie behind those actually come to fruition for all of them. 

How do you know who your grandmother was unless your momma tells you so? For all you stable geniuses out there, Warren's experiences takes place before DNA technology was available. But, of course, you all know that already, Right?

1. profile image0

You speak truth, credence.

Umm.... Do you credit Trump for inroads made into lowering black unemployment and raising black income?

Honestly, it isn't a race thing as much as an indication of how tone deaf I find Warren to be. I could name multiple examples but that won't effect your opinion of her because you agree on issues. That's the point. Don't complain about the behavior of those you dislike and then make excuses for similar behavior in people you do like.

Edit. I will add though, from my interactions with you, were this a similar thing where she had done something offensive to the minority you belong to your comment probably wouldn't be the same. You can be rather tone deaf to any other minority complaint.

1. profile image0

She apologized. Has Trump ever done that? I don't think the behavior is similar.

No matter how much you try to equate other candidates' behavior  to Trump's it will not work.

Of course, I have little doubt you will keep trying.

Good point, Panther

She apologized for any problems she may have caused, that is good enough for me.

When has Trump apologized for any of his displays of gross inaccuracy, lies or vulgarity?

That's a good point but Warren refused to apologize until she realized the public was against her on that. Was it sincere or considered politically expedient?  Other examples of her lies tell me it was the later.

When compared with Trump, at least she acknowledged what many thought was an error.

The fact is that Trump never apologizes neither in remorse nor whether it is politically expedient or not.

That Birther thing that he spearheaded against Obama and his administration goes well below the depth of decency for any politician or human being. It was without purpose as the lowest among the low.

As a result, it will be like pulling teeth for me to give him any credibility for anything positive. Just one example from many.....

1. profile image0

Yes, as I have pointed out to Trump's fans, he founded his political career on birtherism. Some people looked at that and thought, "that guy would make a great president." I looked at that and thpught, "lying con man." He has only cemented my initial judgment with his subsequent behavior.

Yes, as if some 2 bit media star knows more about the qualifications for being President than all the experts having carefully vetted him over the almost 2 years before he took the oath of office?

Trump has always been his own worst enemy. But, your statement that you won't give him credit for the positive seems to me to do your candidates a disservice. If you constantly see the bad, insisting the good is bad too, it makes some who lean right less inclined to see the good in the left.

I see the candidates on the left as a bunch of people trying to pander to what they think you guys want. So, never giving credit when due leaves them flying blind and going over the deep end trying to please a bunch of people who insist on never being pleased. No wonder the far left is taking over.

1. profile image0

You see what you see. It is quite reasonable to watch Trump's birther antics in all their glorious stupidity and then flatly reject him as a serious person worthy of respect.

You see pandering on the left but reward Trump's pandering (Lock her up! Mexico will pay for the wall! We’re going to have insurance for everybody!) with your vote.

Politicians pander. It is not a left or right problem only.

2. Credence2 profile image78

"Trump has always been his own worst enemy"

You said it, L to L. Perhaps that is why he is consistently in trouble with the so called "liberal" mainstream press, and receives negative reports? He has only himself to blame.

I did not say that it was impossible for me to give him any credit, it is just that he starts in the negative with me and he would have to prove himself deserving. I did mention a couple of things to his credit, but I had forgotten them as they are overshadowed with so much negative.

For instance, the talk about improved employment stats for African Americans is shown to be a red herring and that the heavy lifting toward the improved stats took place under Obama. This is corroborated from any number of reputable sources.

As for those that seek to be pleased, have the conservatives and Republicans been more reasonable? I doubt it. Don't you think that Trump supporters support him because he offers them what they want?

So, what is the difference?

It's a matter of perspective credence. There are quite a few black voices who disagree with you. A lot of black voices expressing disappointment in Obama's record. So. Obviously I'm inclined to listen to those voices over yours.

2. Credence2 profile image78

As for Trump's economy helping African Americans, here is my answer..

https://apnews.com/f78f4205f474482db8bb8fa7a5ebfa27

Again, that is a matter of opinion. I find Warren's action in this situation as not offensive. Obviously, you do.

Double standards on my calling out unethical behavior? It depends on what that behavior is, now does it not? You find Warren as tone deaf, I consider Trump to be lacking in character as a serial liar in comparison. Which is the least palatable?

So, while nobody is perfect, I have to consider the extent and degree when evaluating and comparing people.

6. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 4 years ago

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/83375605_1304547066417992_2322012057844580352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=zN2hE-UDNdIAX-9m0Yn&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=47f5fe594d9d357f4139855df06a09a2&oe=5E905141

1. profile image0

lol lol lol

7. profile image0

https://media.tenor.com/images/f9fae5f517c1b3b00a658af1b04c9c8b/tenor.gif

8. profile image0

Forget about Warren and Sanders, I'm worried about Tullsi.
    https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/83346030_504925247109866_3832076151996547072_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=TQ-KajNBQ3YAX9XTckl&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&_nc_tp=1002&oh=70909f1b45c42c6a47a085aeeb9c51ea&oe=5EDA8D68

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)