Considering a Private Webpage

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Marie Flint profile image71
    Marie Flintposted 4 years ago

I appreciate edits, I really do. First, it shows someone has shown an interest in my article. Second, it aids in literary or journalistic growth.

When you have put your heart into something, however, and have taken several days to write an article, there should be a little more care by our HubPages team before making drastic changes to place the article on one of their niche sites.

Writing is not just about making money. There is a psychological-emotional element in the creation of any art form. To have a good relationship with writers, the editors need to remember this very important part of the writing process.

I myself have tried to help a number of writers here on HubPages by voluntarily giving my unsolicited notations of edits and ideas. These are done by email, and the original article is never touched by me. (Of course, I have no access to the original.)

Our dear editors here, however, plow through articles and make changes without any consultation with the writer, who is only given notice of changes after these are made. This is wrong.

I'm not sure what would help make this a more writer-friendly website. Perhaps, there should be some sort of basic, relatively short English test to qualify us before we even write our first article. Perhaps we need a few sample articles written by HP staff to serve as models exhibiting style and content preferences (the tutorial option available for creation of an article doesn't really do it).

What I would really, really like would be for an editor to email me and say something like, "I really like this article and would like to place it on (name of website); however, before I do, there is a change(s) I'd like to make. (List of change or changes.)

The writer, then, should make the desired changes and notify the editor that the article is ready for another review. This not only provides the writer with a learning experience, but allow for diplomacy between editor and writer. Who knows, the two working together might create an entirely different, improved version neither would have realized singly.

Sigh.

Have a nice day, everyone!

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm on your side, but you (and all of us) have to remember that the writers outnumber the editors by a huge factor.  There simply isn't enough time for the editors to send individualized emails.

Having said that, you can always revert their changes.  I usually send them an email explaining why.  In my case, what usually happens is that the editor means well but knows nothing about horticulture so their edits are either nonsensical or just plain wrong.  So always bear in mind that the editors do not have your expertise.

Before you run off and create a website, take it from a person who has one:  it's a ton of work and very expensive.  You will need to pay hosting fees and a whole other host of fees depending on the level of service you sign up for.  I had to hire a designer for my website because I knew nothing about designing websites.  That was over 3 years ago and by now my website is out of date and needs a makeover so I will have to find and hire another designer (the one I worked with originally no longer designs websites).  And that's just the big stuff.  The details like keeping my affiliate ads current, monitoring comments, keeping up with the associated socila media accounts and checking Google for stolen content and photos keeps me busy Every.Single.Day.

So I continue to write on HubPages rather than create a second website.  I put up with little inconveniences like editors run amok because the alternative is so much more work.

2. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

That service is already in existence - it's called HubPro editing. Editor contacts writer, explains they will be editing, what they intend to do, and asks if the writer has any suggestions and/or questions. Most are willing to work cooperatively, though I've had one who wasn't.

I had one or two, who put in a huge amount of work, improving the article (and traffic/earnings) substantially. I couldn't be more grateful that they were willing to do the technical research that I wasn't.

Unfortunately it doesn't happen with routine editing prior to the move to a network site, but those changes are usually very minimal and just involve grammar/capitalisation corrections.

With reference to you offering unsolicited advice to fellow writers via email... is that really a good idea? Maybe I'm alone in thinking it isn't, and other people might actually appreciate it.

[checks to make sure Contact button is off big_smile]

Marie Flintposted 4 years agoin reply to this

@Ragged Edge - Thank you for your input. I really do appreciate edits, as I have said. The automated ones haven't worked for me on several occasions. In this instance, the changes were not minimal. A favorite passage was eliminated.

My unsolicited editorial suggestions are only on articles in which I'm interested and reading or the writer has specifically asked for help in the community help forum.

Is it a good idea? I think I'm an unusual helpmate here on HubPages. Once, however, a writer did tell me I was wasting my time and shouldn't be critiquing others. Everyone else, as I recall, has been grateful. One or two never responded. Some are writers whose English is not their native language.

So, I only do it when I feel so inclined. There have to be several errors and they have to be obvious. If HubPages is interested in maintaining some sort of standard, I would think such feedback to fellow writers would be welcome. The email submission under Contact Author even automatically pops up a thank you message for emailing.

All-in-all, it's not so much an "idea" as it is compassion for my fellow writer.

Blessings!

P.S. No HubPro Editor has ever contacted me about potential changes before  placing any of my articles on a sister niche site or asked if it would be alright. Typos and small errors are not the issue.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

"Considering a Private Webpage"

Do both. What works here, stays here. What doesn't, doesn't. smile

Thank you, Paradigm. Your response feels the most validating to me.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

Marie, I am sorry about what happened to your article. I am sure there is a recourse. I know it is a hassle, too. But, you can fix it the way you want it. It might stay in the niche site, also.
    I am a freelance writer and have worked with many different kinds of editors. In general, they are not my favorite work associates. I have had a handful of beautiful editors that were helpful, concise, showed their appreciation, actually talked to me, and encouraged me to keep writing.  And, I have had editors the opposite, who don't want to do their job in a nutshell. They want the writer to do all the work, and rubber stamp the piece.  Then, a few extreme ones, that I don't want to share those because they were downright, evil.
    My experience at HubPages, the edits are minor, moving images or capsules around, fixing simple typos that I didn't catch. I appreciate their work.
    Though, I believe, one time, I had to correct and edit because it didn't make sense how it turned out after the edit. I fixed it and then sent an email to the team, letting HP know.  I never heard back, but they left my changes in the article.
    Again, I am sorry for the stress and lack of coordination.  I enjoy your articles, and I have yet to see anything wrong with them. You are a talented writer; keep writing.

1. Eurofile profile image96
      Eurofileposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Usually and especially with my early hubs, I was grateful for the input from editors. I had a recent edit that I wasn't happy with at all, so I just reversed it and there has been no problem. Edits can be a mixed blessing, which I have learnt to live with on HubPages. The edits certainly don't put me off or drive me towards a private web page.

1. OldRoses profile image94
        OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Most hubbers have positive experiences with the editors.  There are a few of us who have had very bad experiences and if it keeps happening, could drive authors away.  I always advise unhappy hubbers to communicate with the editors rather than getting mad. Communication helps both the authors and the editors.

A very sensible answer, Old Roses. I wish I could focus on a niche like you. (ADD?) My expression of "Sigh" indicated I realized things probably would not change here on HubPages for me. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, but I wish the editors were a little more so.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)