I'd like to feedback to my article: Most Beautiful Fish

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Eric Caunca profile image94
    Eric Cauncaposted 3 years ago

I would like feedback to my article: 12 Fishes in the Philippines - Most Beautiful in the World

https://hubpages.com/education/12-Most- … hilippines

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Have you permission to reproduce the photos? You may have found them on Instagram, but that doesn't mean that person had permission to post them either. You have to cite the original source and the license.

More info on image use here:

https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … -image-use

Eric Cauncaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

How did you get your photos? Do you buy them? Do you ask the owner to use them? How do you contact the owner? How do you convince the owner to use her/his photo? What is the best sentence or statement to convince them to use freely their photos? How do you talk and negotiate? How to know his/her real name if she/he using a screen name and the license type? Thank you.

Have you read the article I linked to?

HubPages is a commercial site and you, potentially, are going to earn from the use of those images. Therefore, if you take them without permission you could face a demand for payment for unauthorised use.

I use images from Pixabay, Unsplash, Wikimedia, and my own photos.

You can usually contact a website owner through their contact button, bearing in mind that they themselves may have posted the photos illegally. What you have to do is establish what license they carry.

https://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/s … e-commons/

As a content creator it is your duty to know and understand the rules.

Do Pixabay, Unsplash, and Wikimedia a hundred percent free to use? Can use legally them even there's no permission from the owner?

1. AliciaC profile image93
              AliciaCposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Generally, yes, because the photographer has placed the images on the site for the public to use. You need to be careful with Wikipedia, though. The site sometimes shows photos from Flickr and says that they have a Creative Commons commercial license, which is suitable for use on HubPages. When I check the images on Flickr, however, I quite often find that the photographer has changed the license to "All rights reserved."

2. theraggededge profile image96

It's always a good idea to credit the person who has shared their work for free. You will see their details when you download from Pixabay or Unsplash.

As Alicia says, you have to double check Wikimedia.

The problem with articles like your fish one is that you have built it around resources (photos) that are not yours. From now on, always check that you have those resources in place before you go to all the trouble of writing the article.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agreed with all the others.                                              You can  capture pictures of the fish if you were able to catch them, and use the images in your article.

2. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 3 years ago

I was going to say the same thing as theraggededge. In addition, the first banded pipefish photo is watermarked.

3. Eric Caunca profile image94

Okay. Thank you all for your feedback. I have learned from you. I will unpublished all of my works because all photos that I use to them have no permission. I hope I will be a great author like you and give also feedback and advice for the future new Hubpages authors. God bless and good night. Salamat!

4. Eric Caunca profile image94

1. What if I have already sent an article at the owlocation? One of my articles has been already moved to that site. I am unable to edit it, photos on that article also have no permission to use from the owner.

2. How to know which photos are free at Wikimedia? How to determine if the photos are from flickers and other sites?

3. How to identify the real owner of the photos at Wikimedia? I have seen photos with the same images at the sites, but they are uploaded by different people.

Of course you can edit it.

Images on Wikimedia have details of their license. Just click on them and you should see it. The accreditation will be there.

On Flickr, you can choose to filter the search results by license. Or you can use Compfight. Just type in a subject you are looking for, then tick the filter box on the left. Be careful of the very top and bottom images - they are paid for.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that an article you wrote with images like this has already been moved to Owlcation? That is very surprising, as HP editors would not usually move an article like that. It can happen, as we are all human, but normally they would not even move it to a network site.

Yes, in fact, I think the editor viewed the article thrice.
        1. When I submitted it to the owlocation, it has been moved to the site.
        2. When I tried to add a link, however, the editor rejected it but I think he has seen it because he inboxed me.
        3. When I edited something, the HP editors approved it, he inboxed me again.

Don't worry it's just a single article and I will unpublished it. I want my articles to be legal and have no issues

1. DrMark1961 profile image96

Yes,I just looked at it. I think the person that edited that was not on top of things.
          If you are getting traffic I would not recommend unpublishing yet. HP may ask you to chage the images down the road though

5. Eric Caunca profile image94

I have contacted a person who owns a Facebook page, the page is all about the mythical creatures from the Philippines. I have viewed all of the photos on the page, and it seems like he owns them, because the styles he used is the same. Then, I have contacted and asked the page's owner to sketch me a creature. He replied to me with what I've asked for. However, I saw the sketch on Google, he just added colors. In your opinion, does he really own the sketch?

Eric, I have no idea.

You have to write about topics that you can easily find legal photos for... or take the photos/draw images yourself.

Unless you are a professional photographer or know one, it's best to stay away from photographic topics because you are going to keep having this problem. Have you thought about looking for a professional wildlife photographer in your locality? I did an article on my local area once and found some stunning photos on Flickr - I emailed the guy and he was very happy to let me use them for free.

6. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image95
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 3 years ago

@Eric
    No, this article has not been moved to Owlcation. It is still on HubPages. (Or if it was moved to Owlcation, it is now back on HubPages.)

Don't unpublish it. As DrMark says, if you are getting some traffic from search engines then it's worth hanging on. What did the HP editor inbox you about? Did he give you the reason why the article could not remain on (or be moved to) Owlcation?

1. DrMark1961 profile image96

We were talking about his first article, which can be seen on his profile page. (It has a lot of nice images but no sources.) It is still on Owlcation.

1. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image95
        Beth Eaglescliffeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I see. I though you were referring to the 12 Most Beautiful Fish in the Philippines article.

7. Eric Caunca profile image94

These are their emails to me, the 1st and 3rd email. I have already deleted thier 2nd email that tells rejection when I added a link to the article.

https://hubstatic.com/15192158_f1024.jpg

It is clear that the article is on owlocation

https://hubstatic.com/15192160.jpg

1. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image95
      Beth Eaglescliffeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Eric, I got confused. I thought the comments in this thread related to your fish article, but I can see now that they were talking about your insect article. Please ignore my earlier post.

No problem.

I recalled making comments on the '10  Most Beautiful Fishes.'  Not on insects.

The Fish article is still on Hubpages, however, the insect's article has moved to the owlocation. The photos in the insect's art. are uncited and have no permission to use, that's my problem.

Eric, you can edit it and change the photos. Look what it says in the third email you got, "We recommend that authors update and improve their articles..."

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Not just once. Until the article is featured. Or you unpublish it.

Miebakagh - the article in question is on Owlcation. I don't understand what you mean.

Articles on the network sites, or on HubPages, can be edited at any time. The only time you can't edit is after they have been submitted to a network site and are caught in the editorial process.

I have an article entitled "Top 10 Most Beautiful Insects in the World", the article has been submitted and moved to the owlocation. The photos on that article are not cited and have no permission to use. I and Miebagkagh are not talking to the "12 Fishes..." article, we are referring to the "Top 10 Insects", and I'm unable to edit it.
                We are baffled and perplexed how does that happen.

https://owlcation.com/stem/Most-Stunnin … ul-Insects

Go to your account page: https://hubpages.com/my/hubs/stats

Look for the insect article. Next to it you will see 'view on HubPages'. Click that link. Click on Edit at the top of the page.

Bev, eric said he still had the fish article on hubpages. I refer to that, not the insects story that is move to a niche site. Thanks.

I know, but we are talking about editing the insect article.

This is what Eric said:

"The Fish article is still on Hubpages, however, the insect's article has moved to the owlocation. The photos in the insect's art. are uncited and have no permission to use, that's my problem."

Click on Chronological at the top of the page and you will be able to read the thread in order.

Bev, I'm not interested in the insect article nor the phote. I was a little confused as my post about 6 hours ago implies.

Bev, I'm not interested about the inseet article, nor the photo. My post 6 hours ago implies that. Thanks again.

8. Eric Caunca profile image94

I notice that you do not put the URL of your photo sources, just the domain or name of the websites. Can I do it? ....or I'm just unable to see them?

9. Eric Caunca profile image94

What is "2.0" at “CC BY-ND 2.0?” at license type?

10. Eric Caunca profile image94

Can I use sketches/ photos with descriptions or written words on it just like this?

https://hubstatic.com/15192402.jpg

Exactly the same rules apply, Eric.

If it's yours - yes.
      If you have permission to use the whole image - yes.
      If it has a Creative Commons commercial use license - yes.
      If it is in the Public Domain - yes.

If none of those apply - no.

Thank you, he permitted me to use it.

11. Eric Caunca profile image94

Most of the owners of the photos that I used in the PH fish article permitted me to use their photos. All I need to do is citing.

However, some of them don't want to mention their names in the article. They just want to put the name of their Instagram account instead of their real name. Can I substitute the owner's name to their account?

12. Eric Caunca profile image94

1. How to determine the license type of a photo without details?
    2. In which license type should photos from Instagram (with permission to use) belong, is it in Creative Commons? Thank you.

The creator of a photo is the person who must assign a license to the photograph. The person using the image can't do this.

I sometimes use photos that my sister took. I write her name as the source and then write "used with permission" in brackets (but without the quotation marks) after her name. I don't mention a license because she hasn't chosen one. You could do the same with the Instagram photos after writing the name of the photographer or their account according to their wishes.

The emails in which the Instagram users told you that they took the photos and in which they gave you permission to use the images are important. You should make sure that you keep them.

13. Eric Caunca profile image94

What to do if photos on Wikimedia have no owner's name? Those pictures are what I need on Fish article.

Which photo is it? Just tell me the name of it.

There are some photos from Wikimedia don't have the owner's name, just the license type, they have incomplete information. I would like to delete those unpermitted photos from my Fish article and change it to the photos from Wikimedia, however, they have no author's name.

The license is all you need. As long as it is one of the permitted licenses, you'll be fine.

Images have to have **one** of the following:

The correct license.
          Permission from the owner.

If it has a correct license and a URL you can link to (where the license is cited), you can use it.

14. Eric Caunca profile image94

https://hubstatic.com/15196928.jpg

just like this

15. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 3 years ago

All you need to do is caption the photo, add the license, link back to the original wiki image.

Thank you :-)

It looks like you're using a mobile device. The photographer's name shows up on my iPad and my Windows laptop. Rickard Zerpe took the photo. If you have access to a tablet or a computer, it might be helpful to use it when you want to find photo sources.

Yes, I am using a mobile. I left my laptop in the apartment where I stay. As a teacher, it has lots of files and records of the school, I thought if I would bring it, children at my parent's house would delete or break it. And also, it is in another city and no one is allowed to go to another city, due to quarantine. I never thought that I will use it, and discover Hubpages because my parents have no internet connection at their house. I am only connecting to the wifi of their neighbor that's why I have access to the internet.

That must be difficult. It's good that you do have Internet access, though.`

It is much welcomed to have free access to the internet.

Yes, it is. I always appreciate the free Internet access in my community.

Yes, it's free, however, the internet speed is very slow, their house is 10 meters away. :-D:- D

Next month, I will go to install my own internet connection at my parent's house. I am unable to teach this year, due to the virus. There are more than 50,000 teachers in the Philippines, including me, who can't teach this year. We will wait until June next year, that's why we are looking for home-based jobs to earn.

Good luck, Eric. This is a difficult time for many people.

16. Eric Caunca profile image94

I'd to feedback if my fish article is already Okay. Thank you.

https://hubpages.com/education/12-Most- … hilippines

17. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 3 years ago

Hey Eric, it's looking great!

Some slight edits:

Remove the thumbnail image on the Elegant Firefish. There's only one image so the thumbnail is unnecessary.

I'm starting at the bottom and working upwards.

"It is known to its pure love." Should be 'for its pure love'.

"This kind of pipefish reminds me of the beautiful African equines" should be 'equine' singular.

Write numbers under ten in full. "It can change its color to 5 coloration to mimic other species" would be better as 'It is capable of five color changes to mimic other species.'

"gymnasts ribbon" missing apostrophe, 'gymnast's ribbon'

That's about all I can manage now. I think you could italicise the scientific names of the fish.

You worked really hard on this one despite all the setbacks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)