The Future of HubPages Site Migrations

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (34 posts)
  1. samanthacubbison profile image83
    samanthacubbisonposted 3 years ago

Dear HubPages Community,

We merged HubPages, Say Media, and Maven two years ago. As you are well aware, we have migrated the HubPages Network Sites to a new frontend system. There were several motivating factors behind consolidating our tech platforms: targeted author support, visual and technical lifts (allows direct sellers to better position your content to advertisers), access to new features that get rolled out across Maven, and advertising compliance per the International Advertising Bureau’s TCF v2.0 release. Moving forward, this means we will only have to manage a single system for these types of upgrades when it comes to your content.

We understand that the feature parity is not currently 100%. Certain features on the new frontend were designed before HubPages sites were part of the Maven network. To expedite the site migrations in Phase I, for example, we pointed back to the HubPages frontend code by doing what we call a “third party embed.” This temporary path makes HubPages features available to readers while we work on longer-term solutions. Unfortunately, readers who use ad blockers or Avast Secure Browser are not only blocking ads, they are also interfering with our ability to ask for reader consent to run these various features (as required by the data privacy laws). These short-term tradeoffs, however, are worthwhile in the greater scheme of work required to support our consolidation efforts.

We will continue to refine and further build out support for HubPages features on the new frontend as we enter into the next phase of development. We understand how important some of these features are to our users and community members (like comments, which we plan to reinstate). Our team recently released support for superscript and subscript, and we are rolling out table capsule improvements on mobile next week. There are more improvements in the works and a lot to look forward to. As always, we thank you for your patience and continued support.

1. chef-de-jour profile image97
      chef-de-jourposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Appreciate the latest, thank you Samantha.

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for keeping us informed.

3. divacratus profile image87
      divacratusposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Can't wait to see all the improvements! Thank you for the update, Samantha.

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Samantha, for the update.

5. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Samantha. The comments feature is sorely missed and has caused major concern with many of us. That said, I appreciate the fact that you are listening to our concerns and working on a solution.

Can you give us a guestimated ETA as to when comments will be reinstated to the niche sites?

samanthacubbisonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer—but since we have pretty much wrapped up the migration, we should be able to start working on it soon. Thank you for your patience!

1. bravewarrior profile image86

Samantha, are you aware that email notifications have not been sent since Saturday? What's being done to fix the problem?

1. AliciaC profile image94
            AliciaCposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for bringing this up, Shauna. I was thinking about creating a post about this topic myself.

1. bravewarrior profile image86

That's not a bad idea.

2. samanthacubbison profile image83

Yes, we are looking into it and hopefully it will be resolved this week.

6. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update Samantha.  I am still not seeing ads and I don't have an ad blocker in place.  I regularly clear my cache.  I can see the video which I could not see before.  Contrary to what overs seem to be experiencing, I am finding traffic and CPM better than it has been for a long time so I am grateful for all the work which has been thus far.  Thank you.

I'm glad to hear it! I'm sorry the ads still aren't working, though.

7. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the update  Samantha.

8. alphagirl profile image77
      alphagirlposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Anytime there is an update or change patience needs to follow. There is always a few things that don't sync and I totally understand. Thanks for informing us all, Samantha.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 3 years ago

Thanks for the update, Samantha.

3. Butterfly67 profile image89
    Butterfly67posted 3 years ago

I'm confused about the ads not showing though - I don't have any ad blockers so is this the same issue or a different one? Thanks.

1. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Try clearing your cache and reloading the page I found this worked whereas it didn't before.

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 3 years ago

Thank you for that update, Samantha. Much appreciated.

5. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 3 years ago

Thanks Samantha!

6. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago

Thanks, Samantha. With all the communication going back and forth, I realize how much of an obstacle this migration has been for HubPages personnel.

Many unexpected issues arose after Maven planned the migration, and your explanation makes it clear now. We just need to be patient.

I recognize the efforts HubPages staff has been making to correct the issues we (Hubbers) were reporting. And I appreciate the communication that has helped keep us informed with transparency whenever the solutions were known. That helps me (and I’m sure everyone) look forward to the continued progress with this challenging transition.

7. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

So we're good, right? neutral We'll be here for a while? Some of that went over my dense head. hmm The title of this post scared me a little opening with "The Future of HubPages . . ." Thanks for the update, Sam! big_smile

Whoops! Didn't mean to sound ominous. Lol

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thumbs up! smile

8. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 3 years ago

I'm really happy with the new formats, it looks nice. Thanks for all of the hard work and for the update!

9. profile image0
    Marisa Writesposted 3 years ago

I feel sorry for the HubPages staff, because I am sure they are just as helpless as we are in this hot mess.

Any sensible company would migrate its lowest performing assets first, test the new layouts thoroughly, and fix all the really serious bugs before migrating their high-earning assets.   But no, Maven has ploughed on, transferring site after site in spite of signfiicant problems which are having a major effect on the sites' earnings potential.

Reading between the lines, I assume this speed is driven by Maven's need to drastically slash their costs before they have to seek new funding next April.  They can't afford to take their time about things.  It's just unfortunate that we're collateral damage

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way. When tatring was migrated first I thought they were going to go slowly and fix things in the slower sites before messing up the sites with more traffic. When owlcation was moved I saw that this was not going to happen.
      I am sure that HP staff is weary of all of this too, and at this point are probably suffering as much collateral damage as the rest of us.
      It appears that HP is the victim of "friendly fire".

2. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I'm not as dense as I thought I was. My senses still work even if I don't grasp all the industry language.

3. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image86
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with Marisa; these changes seem poorly planned and we writers have seemingly borne the brunt of it, financially.

Here's hoping that (a) it all gets fixed soon, and (b) that revenue starts climbing back to where it was before the migrations began ASAP.

10. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 3 years ago

I hear you, Samantha. Thank you for the update. Still, the hiccups and handicaps are costing the writers. I hope this gets resolved soon.

11. Abby Slutsky profile image92
    Abby Slutskyposted 3 years ago

Thank you for the update.

12. AdesanyaOlunlade profile image61
    AdesanyaOlunladeposted 3 years ago

Thank you for the updates Samantha. We are now out of darkness , its a matter of being patient.

13. Joy At Home profile image90
    Joy At Homeposted 3 years ago

Awesome news! Thanks Samantha!

14. robertalan profile image61
    robertalanposted 3 years ago

THank you Samantha

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)