Posting Comments and WTF!!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Carb Diva profile image96
    Carb Divaposted 3 years ago

OK, so now even my every-day articles that are on Hub Pages and not moved to a niche site can not receive comments? What is the ever-loving point of ever writing on here again? I am so totally disgusted with HP. You (whoever you are) have totally been blowing smoke up our asses. You have reapt profits from our writings but now you have completely destroyed the golden goose. Without the ability to comment and interact, exchange and ask questions on a TOPIC (and not in a stupid-ass Forum) we have NOTHING!!! This is total "words I can't say because I'll be removed from HP!" I thought my weekly musings, which are not moved to the niche sites would be left alone, but now I find that even those are impotent. WHAT IS THE POINT OF STAYING HERE AT ALL.

1. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 3 years agoin reply to this

My dear friend and sister, I think Maven is moving HP out. Paul sold us to Maven and is now on their board, so we no longer have anyone to fight for us. Maven doesn't care. They have what they want and it's become quite apparent we're the unwanted proverbial red-headed step child.

2. Pamela99 profile image91
      Pamela99posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I know you wrote this a few weeks ago, but I hope you don't leave. I am waiting to see if they do fix the situation. They talked in one of our emails from HP like they were working on the problem. Who knows! I look at my feed where I cn comment on some articles, but they are not all listed. So, yes, it is frustrating!

I also wonder once our articles are moved how we can go back in if we wanted to change something or even to delete the article. You would think I would know more considering I have been writing here for such a long time.

Pamela, from your My Account page, you can click on "author's view" to go to the original article on HubPages, where you first posted. From there you can edit or delete.

1. Pamela99 profile image91
          Pamela99posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Shauna. That is helpful.

You're welcome.

2. Carb Diva profile image96
        Carb Divaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Pamela, I'm pretty sure that if you go to your list of "Articles" and click on the "author view" you are taken to the Hub Pages view, not the Discover HP and can do whatever edits you need to do.

2. profile image0
    Marisa Writesposted 3 years ago

The point of staying here is to make money, if that's what you want to do.  The social side (reading and commenting on each other's Hubs) has very little to do with that. You need external traffic to earn income, not internal traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I know that the writers' community is the lifeblood of HubPages for many Hubbers.  However, that was never the intention.  HubPages set up the community features  and encouraged us to use them, for the same reason companies set up social clubs - to keep us all happy and motivated, and to improve writer retention.

It's not unusual, when a small family company is taken over, for the new owners to close down the social club and start cutting employee perks.   Sound familiar?  We're not employees, of course, but the analogy works.

From now on, HubPages is strictly business.

Marisa, therein lies the conundrum. What's more important? Community or a meager pittance? Friendship or a few pennies thrown our way?

I was upset before, when the niche sites went to Maven. But now that HP has gone the same route, I'm beyond myself. I had no idea the changes would affect me as negatively as they are now that Discover has come into play.

I should have been in bed an hour ago - that's what this is doing to me! I'm really upset!

1. profile image0
        Marisa Writesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

But that's the point. The reason you're earning a meager pittance is because your energy on HubPages is focussed on the community side of HubPages at the expense of the business side.   That's your choice and there's nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, Maven is in charge now, and they are all business.

In fact, I wrote a Hub about this very subject on my old account (which I sold):
        https://discover.hubpages.com/community … -Etiquette

2. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

@Marisa,
      Hey! Do you remember me? I do recall you from a few months ago. Hope you have been well and happy.
      Sincerely, I have missed you and  I just posted my announcement in this forum about taking a few weeks off to simply rest. That is all and I do not intend to leave.
      Do not be upset. I am being honest.
      My Best to You,
      Kenneth

3. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 3 years ago

Comments will be coming back, they are not off the table. I do not think we have a timeline for this. It is just what Samantha has been telling us.

1. profile image0

In her last post about comments, Samantha said they "keep asking for them", which worried me somewhat.  That's not the same as saying they're definitely going to be reinstated.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think the meaning of that comment is "you kids will eventually get tired of asking and just give up".

Yep. I agree, Dr. Mark. Kinda like ignore them and they'll go away. Which just may happen!

2. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I missed that post. Seems like it is going to be what DrMark says.

3. samanthacubbison profile image83
        samanthacubbisonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

They will be for sure—I just keep asking them when.

The natives are very restless, Samantha. Especially now that Discover is live. Is there any way you can coerce a definitive answer from the decision makers?

1. samanthacubbison profile image83

The definitive answer is yes, they are coming back. But I won't get a date until they get to it. All I can do is ask for updates.

Thanks, Samantha. Finally, we have a yay or nay with regard to comments. Perhaps your bosses will get tired of the nagging/nudging and move comments up on their priority list. We can only hope, right?

1. samanthacubbison profile image83

I have said multiple times that comments will come back. It will be addressed when our engineers have the time to get to it. I don't really "nag," I just ask for updates and share feedback.

1. Peggy W profile image97
                  Peggy Wposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi  Samantha,

Please keep asking for their feedback.  Through the years, because of readers being able to leave comments, important feedback has taken place.  I have donated some letters to museums that asked for copies, have gotten other information vital to the articles, etc.  Good things can come from people being able to leave comments!

4. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 3 years ago

Marissa is right about the comments. From an SEO perspective comments are not always helpful to content when it comes to making money. A comment section fits in best with blogs but the content here is not bloggish. For me, comments actually drag my content down with readers consistently using language and words that The Google haaaates.

I actually feel very positive about the new formatting and the way the articles are organized. I've been suggesting for a while now that we move to a move streamlined format as we see with other sites performing well in the SERPs. As Marissa is saying, the social aspect here doesn't turn a profit and although I enjoy this community I'm creating here with the purpose of earning so that's where I want to see energy focused.

1. profile image0

Kiersten, the problem is that there's a significant community you're probably not aware of - the social Hubbers.

They have a lively social life which lives in the comments on each other's Hubs. When the changes were announced, they didn't come to the forums - they wrote Hubs about it, then had long discussions with each other in the comments.  As Carb Diva noted above, some of them feel that the whole point of HubPages is the enjoyment of reading and commenting on each other's Hubs.

You can imagine that these changes have devastated a way of life for those Hubbers.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
        MizBejabbersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You are right about social hubbers. There are a number on here who publicly say that they are here to write and making money doesn't matter. I think a number of them got discouraged when they were not invited to write for Maven, so I don't know whether or not they mean it.

1. profile image0

...and there again is the problem with the abandonment of the forums. Very, very few Hubbers were invited to write for Maven. In fact, I'm not even sure anything came of that idea!   But because Hubbers had already stopped seeing the forums as "communication central", we don't really know.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years ago

I really hope they do. Comments are a really important part of some of my hubs.

1. profile image0

I know some internet gurus think comments do more harm than good, but I agree with you, Sherry, that there are Hubs where they are useful and important.

If you've written a "how to" article and readers post questions, the question-and-answer process is constantly adding new, relevant information to the Hub, so that's a good thing.  It's a pity we can't fix the occasional typo or bad grammar, though.

6. profile image0
    lambservantposted 3 years ago

Writers put their hearts and souls into their work here. Not only for the outlet of writing but to make money. The community comments knit us together, and it's meaningful to get feedback. It motivates writers to continue. It's no longer about the writers, their work, or the money they should be earning, it's about money for a corporation who cares nothing about the people. Fine, but they'll be losing a lot of writers. I've been here soon to be eleven years.

A couple years ago I made $600 for the year. I know many make more than that. This year I only had two payouts. It won't be long until I say hasta la vista baby if they are going to continue their "positive" changes.

1. profile image0

Sadly that's what I'm saying, Lambservant. HubPages has never been about the writers.

The structure of the old HubPages allowed writers to create their own community, and many writers have been able to stay in that warm, fuzzy bubble - some of them for many years - and believe that HubPages was all about providing a writers' community.

It's only now the structure has changed, that we're all discovering that was just a happy accident, and we were lucky it lasted so long.

7. emge profile image78
    emgeposted 3 years ago

I have not understood what was the problem Hub Pages had with comments. Obviously, they must have something against it to do take these steps but Hub pages must know that when you stretch an elastic too much it breaks.

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The Maven template used across their sites doesn't support comments unlike the older HubPages sites. I'm sure they would have the problem solved long ago if it was easy. Making software work can be difficult, trust me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)