Gohmert wants Pence to solely decide who is our next President

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/15325808_f1024.jpg
    So if we understand the suit, the GOP wants states to send both sets of electors to Congress and the VP can determine which to count.  Why are we even having elections then?  The VP of the sitting party just chooses the president under this argument.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gohmert-suit … 28724.html

https://news.yahoo.com/republicans-sue- … 00942.html

Thoughts?

1. GA Anderson profile image90
      GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Simple . . . Gohmert should lose his seat.

GA

1. Sharlee01 profile image81
        Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

After a bit of reading, it would appear Pence has a very small chance of pulling off choosing the next president. It will be interesting to see if he tries to. Pence has been off the stage for weeks, are they planning a surprise for Jan 6th?

At any rate, constitutional scholars and even members of the president’s own party say the effort is all but certain to fail.

What I read agrees with you. I can't see what Gohmert was thinking. Surely he must have had his proposition reviewed by Constitutional experts????

That leaves only one explanation—empty political grandstanding. I stand with my initial comment—he should lose his seat. He doesn't deserve the trust of his constituents.

GA

In Gohmert"s case I agree his suit is a very poor example of grandstanding. It would well appear his suit would if it to gain legal traction,  put Pence in the position of having to either contest the suit — putting him on the opposite side of Trump and his GOP defenders — or foolishly support it and lay bare the intention to subvert the will over the voters.

2. crankalicious profile image87
            crankaliciousposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Or trying to organize a coup. Wouldn't that be a coup? Or it's a dictatorial take-over of the U.S. because we would never have another election again.

I don't think Gohmert's move is smart enough to be part of a coup.

GA

Valeantposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Neither is Trump's, but 50 million of his supporters aren't smart enough break free of the realities he paints for them.

Once again coming out at Trump supporters labeling them as "not smart enough to break free"...

How many voted for Biden? By the way, did you? IMO opinion I actually feel the same in regards to anyone that could vote for Biden. I am actually baffled at the mindset of the nation. You see we have something in common, we both think many Americans,  how did you put it?  --- "not smart".

My vote was for any candidate not Trump in this election, similar to Steve Schmidt of the Lincoln Project, who noted that he is now a one-issue voter, those who support democracy.  That ruled Trump out, and a significant number of Biden voters fell into that category in this election.  A fair number realized that Trump rebelling against the basic science of the Coronavirus was a critical threat to the nation and the citizenry, and likely cast their vote against him for that reason.

Now what I was talking about was not all those who voted for Trump, but the 50 million or so still clinging to the claim of fraud even though the courts, election officials, FBI, and Attorney General have all debunked it.  Those willing to accept that false reality lack the common sense to know when they are being lied to, and it's sad.

Let's take Georgia as an example.  Trump posts every other day asking when Georgia is going to do a signature verification.  Three were already done, he just won't accept that.  Then he claims there is fraud, but he has yet to explain how the audit of the paper ballots confirming Biden's win could be fraud.  He has accusations, but zero proof that any ballots were fraudulent.  Maybe you can explain where that fraud is in Georgia.  You seem to clearly believe it exists.  Give us specific examples of it.  Let's hear the case.

2. GA Anderson profile image90

Who was talking about Trump?  As for the 50 million supporters thing . . . you can hang on to that thought, I have enough of a problem just judging my own motivations.

GA

2. crankalicious profile image87

Thank you, GA. Logic.

3. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 3 years agoin reply to this

If every congressperson resigned for hair brained ideas and comments we'd have a swinging door of people leaving the halls of Congress.

I didn't mean "resign," I said, "lose." I think the voters should boot him.

But you are right about those swinging doors. Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea. Toss a few out the door and maybe some of the others would get the message. It happened to the Republicans back in 96'(?) when voters reacted to his Contract with America.

GA

4. crankalicious profile image87

And now Trump has said the same thing as Gohmert: Pence should be able to throw out electors he doesn't like. In other words, no matter how the voters vote, the current Vice President should be able to decide the winner of a Presidential election.

I would submit what we're seeing now is the failure of Democracy and the end of America. Thanks, Donald Trump.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps he's taking a page from the DNC primaries? smile

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Nice to see you again, Valeant.

Would Pence dare to light the equivalent of another Reichstag Fire?

These conservatives, Republicans or Trumpers, whatever the nom de jour is these days, have to gall to basically circumvent the Democratic process and call themselves patriots? The fact that so many of them have just acquiesced  themselves over this matter for so long leaves me suspect about the sentiments and motives of almost half of this nation.

Who would have thought that such tyrannical and undemocratic behavior would even be tolerated in America today? It breaks down to the principle of the thing

My thoughts?

I am appalled.

They would say under the same circumstances, that the Left would behave the same way, well, to date they have not and that is good enough for me.

The Right wingers again prove themselves as nothing more than tyrannical beasts. But they had better move on, because we will not sit still for it.

2. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 3 years ago

Vice President Pence on Thursday asked a federal judge to dismiss a far-fetched bid by Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) and other Republicans to broaden Pence’s powers in a manner that would effectively allow him to overturn President-elect Joe Biden’s electoral win.

3. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 3 years ago

A federal judge has thrown out a lawsuit from Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas and several Arizona Republicans seeking to force Vice President Mike Pence to help throw the election to President Donald Trump next week when Congress meets to count the Electoral College votes.

Judge Jeremy Kernodle of the Eastern District of Texas said on Friday that Gohmert and the others lacked standing to sue. In a filing late Friday, Gohmert and other plaintiffs filed a notice of appeal to the Fifth Circuit of the US Court of Appeals.

4. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago

This constant refrain of "I just want the whistleblowers to be heard" is complete bull$hit. The whistleblowers have been heard and were found to be not credible. There were over 60 court filings; there were investigations and hearings in every state where misconduct was alleged. Any of these people can speak at any time should they choose. Sidney Powell has posted her 200-page report for all to see.

This refrain of  "I just want the whistleblowers to be heard" is just Trumpers holding onto their desire to see the election overturned. They don't really care about the Constitution, their Republic, the legal system, or  what is right. They simply want their idol to remain in power.

It's pretty disgusting, actually, and I think we should ignore their continued, pathetic attempts to justify their desire to ignore the will of the people and install a dictator. They've made their case and it's delusional and sad. Time to move on and let them stew on it with each other. Nothing rational will sway them. They've staked their ground and will defend it no matter how many crazy, drunken, ill-informed "whistleblowers" are heard and debunked.

With that, I'm outa here until that incompetent bully is removed from the White House. Let the Trumpers boil in the toxic stew they've created.

Okay --- Thanks for sharing your opinion. We all have one.  I think we fully agree on one thing, time to move on. There will be lots of new things to talk about in the new year. I think we could agree on that also.

1. crankalicious profile image87

With the President calling on the Georgia Sec. of State to "find" enough votes to overturn the election, I'm not sure we can move on anymore. Trump should be impeached or resign in complete disgrace. Anybody who cares about the future of this country needs to call on Trump to resign. If not, then we accept this behavior and should expect it in the future. Future Presidents will now have the precedent of pressuring states to change votes.

Making that request might be the most outrageous and morally repugnant thing any President has ever done. Also, the most anti-American.

It's a shame he had to take these drastic steps to keep some confidence in our voting system.  If the investigation is done and shows there has been little fraud, you do not have anything to worry about. If tons of fraud occurred, he has every right to dispute the outcome of the election.

" Ted Cruz --- "We should follow that precedent," Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and 10 other current and incoming senators said in a joint statement, referring to the race between Hayes and Samuel Tilden. "To wit, Congress should immediately appoint an Electoral Commission, with full investigatory and fact-finding authority, to conduct an emergency 10-day audit of the election returns in the disputed states. Once completed, individual states would evaluate the commission's findings and could convene a special legislative session to certify a change in their vote, if needed."

I just put together a thread on this subject.
          https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/350 … -election-

Maybe they could present some actual evidence of fraud first and not call for a commission that has no basis to exist. Republican judges have ruled. The Supreme Court has ruled. That's called the "rule of law". I thought we were supposed to respect it. Instead you want a commission of political hacks?

Hate the break it to you, but Trump formed a commission on voter fraud after the last election, which he said was rigged. They disbanded because they didn't find anything. Trump has had the last four years to investigate this. He's found nothing.

What happened to respect for the Constitution? Apparently, that no longer exists either.

Why even bother? Let's just let Ted Cruz decide our next President.

No, no, no. Not Ted. If somebody has to decide let's at least make it Pence. He at least appears to have some integrity.

GA

1. profile image0
                PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"he at least appears to have some integrity." Is this a serious statement, or is it another failed attempt at sarcasm? big_smile

2. Sharlee01 profile image81

It is very apparent many American's are not satisfied that the fraud accusations have not been addressed, In my case, I have discovered in the majority of the laws suits evidence was not presented, due to the cases arguing state voter laws, and many other reasons. Most cases were tossed out on procedure problems.  I realize here on this forum many feel differently about the mutipul lawsuits. However, millions of American's feel differently and are not satisfied with being told there was no fraud.

I am very aware of President Trump 2016 commission to investigate voter fraud in the 2016 election. I am aware little was found, and the committee soon ended. In 2016 we did not have 250 citizens claiming they witnessed irregularities. We are at a stalemate in regards to
              agreeing on if the allegations have been heard.

What happens to the Consitution? Today you will see it alive and well when Ted Cruz and other GOP representatives fight to have an investigation on the last election, he will speak for millions of people that are not satisfied with shutting out the voices of whistleblowers.

We need to fight in the glare of irregularities or those irregularities will become the norm...

Ted Cruz is not disputing the election, he is asking Congress to listen to many citizens that no longer trust our voting system. A two-week investigation, he is asking no more no less.

"Ted Cruz --- "We should follow that precedent," Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and 10 other current and incoming senators said in a joint statement, referring to the race between Hayes and Samuel Tilden. "To wit, Congress should immediately appoint an Electoral Commission, with full investigatory and fact-finding authority, to conduct an emergency 10-day audit of the election returns in the disputed states. Once completed, individual states would evaluate the commission's findings and could convene a special legislative session to certify a change in their vote, if needed."

Why do you find this request unconstitutional?

Why?  Trump tells his followers it's going to be a rigged election prior to the election.  His poll watchers show up, in many cases ill-prepared, primed to see fraud - even when no fraud exists.

States, the courts, the DOJ, and the FBI found no instances of systemic voter fraud already.  Georgia did multiple recounts and an audit and debunked every one of Trump's claims on that phone call.  So many of Trump's claims, in fact, have been debunked. 

And this election was going to be irregular - it was one of only two to be held during a pandemic.  Not sure why everyone is up in arms about that.  Or why states trying to protect their citizens from a deadly virus while also letting them exercise their Constitutional rights is something that should be resisted, especially when many states had been using the solution with very little fraud since the 90's.  Another instance of Trump disputing that fact with zero evidence, that mail-in ballots have been found to be very secure.

These allegations have been looked into and dismissed.  If Congress wants to investigate further, nothing is stopping them currently.  But to stop the legal process when actual evidence has been completely lacking is just allowing Trump the extra time to try and subvert our Constitution further.

As of today, he has not subverted our Constitution. Today  The U.S. Congress will convene to set the seal on President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.

Ted Cruz has claimed he will object, he has a constitutional right to do so. Let's wait and see how this plays out. I think in the end our Constitution will be considered above all.  Hopefully, Congress will do the right thing, and respect the Constitution. I have provided a link that fully gives Ted Cruz's explanation of what he will do today , and that what he is asking for is constitutional.

https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_re … mp;id=5541

And now Trump supporters, at his encouragement, have stormed the Capitol building.

This is your President. Pushing for and encouraging insurrection in our nations capital.

Democracy is dying today.

5. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 3 years ago

What he's done is a criminal offense and he should serve time in jail for it. Title 52 U.S. Section 20511.

Basically, if you attempt to deprive or defraud the residents of a state of a fair and impartially conducted election process (which has been confirmed in Georgia three times with audits and recounts), you are subject to a prison sentence.

6. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 3 years ago

It just seem like the GOP Congressmen simply want Pense to declare Trump the winner without justification or even any serious consideration of material evidence regarding fraud, one way or the other.

Are Conservatives naturally tyrannical?

I don't think that these guys are serious as they know that they cannot win, they are simply protecting themselves politically from the wrath of Trump and his supporters.

Who is this guy, who is the lamest of lame ducks, and why does he have so many intelligent people shaking in their boots?

THis is what they hope to do ---   "Ted Cruz --- "We should follow that precedent," Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and 10 other current and incoming senators said in a joint statement, referring to the race between Hayes and Samuel Tilden. "To wit, Congress should immediately appoint an Electoral Commission, with full investigatory and fact-finding authority, to conduct an emergency 10-day audit of the election returns in the disputed states. Once completed, individual states would evaluate the commission's findings and could convene a special legislative session to certify a change in their vote, if needed."

I just put up a thread on this subject...
      https://hubpages.com/politics/forum/350 … -election-

1. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Another morsel of agony ?

What about this Sharlee. It has appeared over a wide swath of legitimate news outlets.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra … 6k-ballots

I have not heard the entire conversation, but I trust the Post. I will try to research this more before commenting, the article you offered is compelling but only a few paragraphs are pretty carefully written.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)